Forum Settings
Forums
Mar 24, 3:41 PM

Difficult to say, there are so many good ones.

NANA, Kamisama hajimemashita, Marmalade boy, Ouran host club, Skip beat, gakuen no alice. And many more to count.

Mar 25, 11:18 PM

Never been huge into shoujo, but I do love magic knight rayearth, fruits basket (still need to see the remake), and you know, you can’t beat a classic like sailor moon.

Mar 25, 11:32 PM

Even though I'm a girl myself, I never really find most shoujo anime that interesting since most of them are in the romance genre which isn't the type of genre I root for compared to others. However, there are two that stand above the rest and are some of my personal favorites.

Fruits Basket is easily my pick for my favorite shoujo anime with Ouran High School Host Club as a close second. I've even read both manga versions (finishing Fruits Basket just last night) and both are great.

I mean, why else wouldn't I have Kyo in my avatar and Haruhi in my profile?

Allow me to teach you something useful:
My Top 20 Japanese Cartoons
Elitists in a nutshell
Many people say that anime is not a cartoon.
But in the end, they're nothing more but drawings on paper.

Mar 25, 11:35 PM

TheKawaiiToon said:
Even though I'm a girl myself, I never really find most shoujo anime that interesting since most of them are in the romance genre which isn't the type of genre I root for compared to others. However, there are two that stand above the rest and are some of my personal favorites.

Fruits Basket is easily my pick for my favorite shoujo anime with Ouran High School Host Club as a close second. I've even read both manga versions (finishing Fruits Basket just last night) and both are great.

I mean, why else wouldn't I have Kyo in my avatar and Haruhi in my profile?

Fruits Basket and Ouran are still very respectable picks. There are obviously a lot of shoujo that doesn't necessarily have the romance aspect as its main focus. Maybe you should check out Rose of Versailles or Oniisama e if you want something a bit more intense.

Mar 25, 11:35 PM

petran79 said:
Candy Candy

It was one of the most popular anime in the 80s both in and outside Japan. TV ratings were even higher than Dragon Ball in some countries. If it was not for that court dispute between the original author and the mangaka that prevented further broadcasts and VHS/DVD releases, it would be popular even among younger audiences.

Perhaps I go too far but if you have not seen it, you have no clue what shojo means

Good pick! Been wanting to watch that for ages now. I love its atmosphere.

Mar 26, 5:30 AM

Kaleido Star, Ore Monogatari!!, Akagami no Shirayuki-hime and Bihada Ichizoku are my favorite shoujo anime.

Mar 26, 5:54 AM

One and only Maid Sama and no one else.

Mar 26, 5:59 AM

Not counting Nana or Versailles no Bara that are also tagged, but don't necessarily embrace shoujo tropes, I would go with Kimi ni Todoke. One of the most adorable anime I've seen. Honorable mention to Ore Monogatari.
One Piece episode 914 & 915 were a mistake.

Mar 26, 6:09 AM

I know its a parody of shoujo tropes, although I didn't know it at the time I was watching it since I had only just started watching anime, but my favorite shoujo show is, without a doubt, Gekkan Shoujo Nazaki-kun. The immense amount of joy I get out of watching that show is indescribable.

Other shows I really like include Nana, Skip Beat, Akatsuki no Yona, Lovely Complex, Ao Haru Ride, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, and Sabagebu.

Once upon a time I would have included Kimi ni Todoke, but the second season is a real bitch to get through with the incomprehensible amount of misunderstandings that keep happening.

Mar 26, 7:26 AM

SithSteel said:
I know its a parody of shoujo tropes, although I didn't know it at the time I was watching it since I had only just started watching anime, but my favorite shoujo show is, without a doubt, Gekkan Shoujo Nazaki-kun. The immense amount of joy I get out of watching that show is indescribable.

I love Nozaki-kun too, its one of my favorites, but even though its a parody of shoujo, it is actually shounen. Though whenever I think of shoujo, it definitely comes to mind.
Modified by Mayo-13, Mar 26, 8:30 AM

Mar 26, 8:11 AM

Yona of the Dawn it's one of the better fantasy anime/manga out there.

Mar 26, 8:47 AM

i prefer seinen, but i liked tonari no kaibutsu-kun and im in the middle of fruits basket right now.

Mar 26, 9:09 AM

Ouran Highschool host club. It's probably never gonna change.

Mar 26, 11:43 AM

Probably Fushigi Yuugi or Banana Fish.

"Huh? Rule, rule, rule, what?
Rule, ru- What are you? A ruler?
Screw you damn roulette, I'll break it!"

Mar 26, 12:35 PM

I prefer shoujo manga over anime, but there are few I'd say are a really good watch.

Cardcaptor Sakura - imo better than its source material. They had time to develop characters' relationships and atmosphere they created really fits children's show
They were eleven - I absolutely love Moto Hagio's works and while I think animation doesn't do justice to her artwork, this one is very enjoyable and stands out from 80's sea of ova's.
Ashita no Nadja - has a very classic and standard story about young girl and getting her own harem drama, but it has its special moments and I think animation is quite nice considering it is 50 episodes long
Uta no Prince-sama series - one of the best reverse-harem series and idol show don't add me
Creamy mami - one of the best idol show don't add me plus mahou shoujo
MILPOM - it's just short animation series about group of girls spending time together, but watching it really put a smile on my face and I remember it with warm while jokes weren't most original ones.
Aim for the Ace - sports is a good source for drama, but I liked how different our heroine Oka Hiromi felt from the usual mc. And it had it's good animation moments plus look at their beautiful shoujo hair

As for Sailor moon since people have mentioned it here my opinion still about the franchise is that the musicals are the best adaptation.

petran79 said:
Candy Candy

Watching it currently and absolutely love all the drama presented in it.
Modified by konkelo, Mar 26, 12:39 PM

Mar 26, 12:39 PM
Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, PreCure series, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Mar 26, 12:44 PM

Maid wa Kaichou-sama!, Ao Haru Ride and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun were tied as my favourites, but the Fruits Basket remake that aired last year was such an incredible masterpiece for me that it left no room for any other shoujo show. I haven't cared so much for a female lead as I did for Tohru Honda.

By the way, keep your eyes out for Otome Game next season, I read the manga adaptation of the LN and it was pretty good and funny.

TolkienFan365 said:
Yona of the Dawn it's one of the better fantasy anime/manga out there.

Ohh yeah sometimes I forget about that one, it was amazing. I have to read the manga sometime.
Modified by KorhalChild, Mar 26, 12:47 PM

Mar 26, 1:04 PM
Tail On!

1. Kiratto Pri☆chan
2. Aikatsu
3. Saiunkoku Monogatari
4. Juuni Kokuki
5. Maria-sama ga Miteru

Interestingly none of these are manga adaptions, those tend to be shit for some reason.
Modified by Roevhaal, Mar 26, 1:08 PM

Mar 26, 1:37 PM

Rose of versailles, and the only shoujo that qualifies to be among my favorites. One that I also really like is Candy candy, but I watched it years ago and never finished it, so I tried the manga instead a couple of years ago, and yes, it´s really good.

Mar 26, 1:41 PM

Not counting mahou shoujos then: Full Moon (I know it has the elements but it felt more like a shoujo than a mahou shoujo), KareKano, Rose of Versailles and Kaleido Star

Mar 26, 1:42 PM

Sakura Card Captors for its characters, plot and artstyle.

▲ ▲

«REVs»
«NP Games»
«Male/Female»
«Favorites (+Awards)»
"When We Let Evil Win, It Becomes Our Reality."

Mar 26, 2:12 PM

Roevhaal said:
1. Kiratto Pri☆chan
2. Aikatsu
3. Saiunkoku Monogatari
4. Juuni Kokuki
5. Maria-sama ga Miteru

Interestingly none of these are manga adaptions, those tend to be shit for some reason.
Didn't expect to see a not boring answer here in this thread. I'll check all of these out.

Mar 26, 2:44 PM

Probably Akagami no Shirayuki-hime, but I REALLY need to watch some more

Mar 26, 8:37 PM

Oniisama e...,Princess Tutu, Versailles no Bara, 11-nin Iru, Glass no Kame, Kare Kano, Ace wo Nerae!, Hikari no Densetsu, Attack no.1, etc.

The list goes on and on.
Modified by Kohina20, Mar 26, 8:41 PM

Mar 26, 8:41 PM

Dear Brother
Fushigi Yuugi
Glass Mask
Sailor Moon
Revolutionary Girl Utena
The Rose Of Versailles
They Were Eleven!

Mar 26, 11:34 PM

I've only watched Hotarubi no mori e, Kimi ni Todoke, Natsume Yuujinchou S1, and Sukitte Ii na yo.

Hotarubi no mori e and Kimi ni Todoke were great.
Natsume Yuujinchou bored me a bit but was nice.
Sukitte Ii na yo was bad.

Mar 27, 12:11 AM

Nurlela said:
Easy pick, Sabage-bu!

too much fun and with a bit of stupidity in there

Yep. Agreed completely. I was actually surprised it was a shoujo when I first read up on the entry

Mar 29, 3:01 PM

I haven't seen many, so I'll say Ouran Koukou Host Club

Mar 30, 9:59 AM
I have watched many shoujo animes and among them my most favourite are Fruit Basket, Kamisama Kiss, Akatsuki no Yona and Akagami no Shirayukihime

Mar 30, 10:03 AM
Mine definitely has to be NANA without a doubt.

Mar 30, 10:35 AM

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou, which is also the best romcom I've seen. It's funny, the characters and their relationships constantly progress so it never feels stale or dragged out unlike a other shoujo romances. It does have some poor production values though, especially the animation and voice acting which are pretty mediocre.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]