Forum Settings
Forums

How do you feel about yandere characters in anime?

New
Mar 22, 2020 9:33 AM

Oct 2018
Yuno Gasai is one of the more "well-known" yanderes. She is the main female protagonist/anti-heroine of the anime and manga Mirai Nikki (also known as Future Diary". Yuno does not just show symptoms of BDO but also symptoms of antisocial personality disorder (psychopathy), paranoid personality disorder, and some others.

I think we need more character like Yuno, its really fun to watch........
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 22, 2020 9:41 AM

Jul 2016
Can't stand 'em. Creeps the hell outa me so I don't really understand the appeal.
Mar 22, 2020 9:48 AM

Jun 2016
Yanderes are just pandering to 13 year olds who think they're cool and edgy. Fuck em.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 22, 2020 9:50 AM
Dec 2019
I love yanderes, but my god they feel the same
Mar 22, 2020 9:50 AM

Jul 2016
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
Can't stand 'em. Creeps the hell outa me so I don't really understand the appeal.

Same.I don't get what's so attractive and cute about a psychotic murderer that won't hesitate to murder in cold blood if needed.
Mar 22, 2020 9:51 AM

Dec 2015
i dont like them.They are just crazy and unhealthy.It is big no no for me
Mar 22, 2020 9:52 AM

Apr 2019
I like them. They are overly obsessed with whoever they love. So obsessed that they'd even resort to violence.

Love can be shown in many ways!

Mar 22, 2020 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
Is a fresh change i guess, i haven't seen this kind of behavior in anime alot, not all girls/guys have to be lovey-dovey.
Mar 22, 2020 9:53 AM
Jul 2018
I feel bad for Yuno. Everyone's hating her so much, yet no one ever tried to empathize with her. She has her reasons to act all psycho and damn sometimes Yuki was asking for it being the pathetic little b-tch that he is.

That said, I don't particularly like yandere characters. Nor do I hate them.
Mar 22, 2020 9:54 AM

Dec 2015
I think it's a funny character trait, out of the shows I have seen so far it only exist one Yandere to this point I'm not that huge fan of. And that is the cousin the main character in Shuffle. Well it's a long, long very long time ago I watched the show.

So maybe I woud like her now ? Who knows.

But Shuffle was my first harem show I watch so might have been the case to why I didn't take a liking to the cousin in the show.

Mar 22, 2020 9:55 AM

Oct 2010
yandere are great, be gentle with Yuno, she had a harsh past, how could anyone hate Yuno, just look at how cute she is
Mar 22, 2020 9:56 AM

Aug 2018
I hate Yandere characters.Tell me a reason to love those psychotic murderers???I would just blow them with a shotgun.They are the worst tropes even worse than violent Tsunderes.
Mar 22, 2020 9:59 AM

Aug 2018
They are boring and one dimensional, not a fan of it.
Mar 22, 2020 10:03 AM

Jul 2017
I'm kinda neutral towards them. You don't really see them all too much as main romantic leads so it's kinda hard to give a proper opinion on them
Mar 22, 2020 10:04 AM

Apr 2019
I like Yandere characters and Yuno is the best.
Mar 22, 2020 10:05 AM

Jan 2018
I dream of a yandere that will bring an end to every beta harem protagonist.
Mar 22, 2020 10:07 AM

Dec 2018
I’m not a massive fan but I don’t outright hate them.
Mar 22, 2020 10:11 AM
May 2019
I like yanderes my favorite is Yuno Gasai.
Mar 22, 2020 10:11 AM

Jul 2019
Hot crazy girls willing to do anything because of love.I love them and i think we need more of them in anime
Mar 22, 2020 10:33 AM

Jul 2019
they are creepy but i love seeing them in anime
Mar 22, 2020 10:37 AM

Mar 2012
I like yanderes but I like them for horror/gore, definitely not for romance. Anime actually portraying the actions of these yanderes as something negative certainly helps as compared to tsunderes where the MC never gets hurt no matter how much they hit him.
Mar 22, 2020 10:40 AM

Aug 2018
It's an interesting idea, cute anime girl who's actually a psychopathic murderer who can only be tamed by the one she loves - but I've never seen the concept explored in a satisfying manner.
Mar 22, 2020 10:44 AM

Aug 2009
I'm only familiar with Lucy and the cast of School Days, so I'm more or less neutral towards them as a whole.

Mar 22, 2020 11:33 AM
Jul 2018
I'm conflicted with yandere character types, i find them infuriating and over the top. However it isn't common in anime, having a psychotic female character is certainly interesting and is a contrast to the cute, moe girls we're exposed to most of the time. In a sense it's refreshing and pleasing to see yandere characters.
Mar 22, 2020 11:36 AM

Sep 2011
"Obsessively in love that they would kill any others that would get in their way"

Yuno is literally the only real yandere I've seen in anime that fits this description, and perhaps also the girl from Happy Sugar Life. People say Kotonoha from School Days is one. I guess she is sort of... but barely. Apparently there is one in Shuffle which I haven't checked out yet. I do like the idea of yanderes, but I don't even know how they became a thing when they only exist in like 3 animes... (where tsunderes exist in hundreds of anime).
Mar 22, 2020 11:38 AM

Jun 2017
Because the first one sucks, the others also suck
Mar 22, 2020 12:25 PM

Jun 2015
well, better than tsundere, so theres that.

well Didnt watch mirai gasi whtever, but even I know of Yuno. bcz these forms... so maybe im wong, but I dont see whats so bad abt her.....

also, Kirtishima Shoko. from baka test. She has her reasons.
Mar 22, 2020 12:28 PM

Jan 2010
It depends, tbh.

I love yandere in thiller/psychological anime. But for romance? Nope. They are not cute.
I'm not against unhealthy ship or stalker-ish/obsessive dynamic. But I don't like it if author painted it in romantic rainbow way.

Example of GOOD:

- Yuno (x Yuki)
I love Yuno. She is entertaining to watch and there is really no better character in that anime, so that's the real problem. But she serves the purpose of being creepy as fuck, but we can also sympathize with her. And Yukiteru is pathetic little shit so Yuno can have him for all I care. He certainly doesn't deserve Akise.

- Kotonoha/Sekai (x Makoto)
Makoto deserves it. I'm glad Sekai and Kotonoha went yandere mode. They served their purpose as making the ending turned into depressing, dark and sad. Best harem ending ever, no sarcasm.

- Sonozaki Shion
Classic yandere. She is creepy, crazy and obsessed af. Served the purpose to provide thrill and horror. Great stuff.

Example of BAD:

- Mahiru (x Guren)
She crossed the borderline yandere at this point. She killed everyone that Guren loved. And I hate how I feel like sometimes their relationship is still portrayed as good and that their love is actually love and not obsession or something unhealthy. I swear if they ended up become canon...

Example of not yandere but only borderline:

- Mikasa (x Eren)
I often get this yandere vibes from Mikasa, but she never crossed the line. Even when she was about to hurt Ymir (iirc), she still listened to reason.

That's all I can think of rn.
Mar 22, 2020 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
I love them. i love yangires even more.
Mar 23, 2020 1:46 AM

Sep 2007
Short_Circut said:
I'm kinda neutral towards them. You don't really see them all too much as main romantic leads so it's kinda hard to give a proper opinion on them

Same stance here as its either you love or hate them 50% of the time.
Mar 23, 2020 1:49 AM

Jun 2016
All bad except Oginome Ringo
Mar 23, 2020 1:59 AM

Jun 2016
Shicchi said:

I love Yuno. She is entertaining to watch and there is really no better character in that anime
Minene is obviously a better written character.
Mar 23, 2020 2:00 AM

Aug 2009
Crazy bitches don't appeal to me in real life. So I don't like them.
Mar 23, 2020 2:01 AM

Mar 2016
Its scary, i dont want to have any business with them

case done

Mar 23, 2020 3:14 AM

Oct 2008
Love them, hope they stay for eternity.
Mar 23, 2020 8:14 AM

Jan 2010
Edocchi said:
Shicchi said:

I love Yuno. She is entertaining to watch and there is really no better character in that anime
Minene is obviously a better written character.

I barely remember anything about her tbh.
Mar 23, 2020 10:48 AM
Jul 2018
Well there aren’t even enough Yandere to justify them even having a word to describe them. I always just see the same Mirai Nikki girl showing up. So we obviously need more Yandere Waifus. Anime ones not irl ones like Corona-Chan.
Mar 23, 2020 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
The concept of flipping between two extremes is interesting in of itself. However, what I typically dislike about this trope is that the dere part of yanderes is very boring to me, so I like it in small doses. The idea of it is to have this really perfect sweet girl on the outside does have a purpose mainly to sell you on how manipulative the character is in a "too good to be true" kind of way. That said, characters like Kaede from Shuffle can really suffer from this.

All these things make Yuno, the overall better yandere, as the plot makes it so the "yan" side can be shown more because she isn't in a slice of life setting where she has to wait until it would make sense. Yuno is in a straight-up death game where killing for her love one is necessary and deceit is the name of the game. This makes her yandere part a better fit, overall, as you can get more memorable moments with it. Because at the end of the day, what I enjoy about yanderes is their other side. You actually get to see Yuno actually use tactics to fight, make a unique creepy face, freak out over being praised by him, and do other assortments of things under the "yan" guise as that part of her personality has more variety in terms of showing said trait and is less predictable(Spoilers). Not saying Yuno is the most unique yandere, just that she is well-balanced in terms of her sides and is probably why she is such a posterchild for the trope.

The dere part probably could be done better, but generally, the yanderes I see are always better in the yan department. After all, that's one of their more unique characteristics. A lot of other tropes have that dere part, so focusing on the yan is almost always the better choice imo unless a writer has a certain thing they want to do with the dere part to make it stand out.

@Xstasy

The original song of that is available on Itunes. It's a good song, I actually bought it.
removed-userMar 23, 2020 1:28 PM
Mar 23, 2020 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
I don't like them.
They annoy me because they are a one trick pony. On paper a mentally unstable character sounds great, but when it comes to anime they translate it to just being crazy to an extremely comical degree. BORING.

As for my favorite 'dere' I prefer silent and collected characters.
Mar 23, 2020 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
IzayoiRose said:
I don't like them.
They annoy me because they are a one trick pony. On paper a mentally unstable character sounds great, but when it comes to anime they translate it to just being crazy to an extremely comical degree. BORING.

One trick pony? Crazily in love can actually translate to a lot of things and actions. Yandere is probably one of the most action varied tropes out there right beside chuunibyou, at least in my opinion.The character can stalk, be obsessed with being near the MC to the point of always wanting to take care of them(and throw a fit when they can't), pretend to be a guardian angel to the character tricking them into false trust, brainwash said character into doing nothing, arrange a marriage without the MC's consent, etc. Crazy is a very flexible trait, you can have different levels of it as well and it doesn't need to be to a comical level. You can easily just make it down to earth in a scary type way if you wanted.

@Nillwas

I didn't think Keade was a cousin of the main character. I knew they lived together after his parents died, and that her farther allows them to live together alone, but not much else about their relationship. If anything, I remember that being arranged because they were neighbors.
Mar 23, 2020 2:00 PM

Dec 2015
@Peaceful_Critic, that might be true, I just thought it was cousin's.
Think it's like 10 years ago I watched it so :P

Mar 23, 2020 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
Peaceful_Critic said:
IzayoiRose said:
I don't like them.

One trick pony? Crazily in love can actually translate to a lot of things and actions. Yandere is probably one of the most action varied tropes out there right beside chuunibyou, at least in my opinion.The character can stalk, be obsessed with being near the MC to the point of always wanting to take care of them(and throw a fit when they can't), pretend to be a guardian angel to the character tricking them into false trust, brainwash said character into doing nothing, arrange a marriage without the MC's consent, etc. Crazy is a very flexible trait, you can have different levels of it as well and it doesn't need to be to a comical level. You can easily just make it down to earth in a scary type way if you wanted.

In order for these scenarious to work the MC in these stories almost always is required to dislike, or be creeped out from the heroine because of their adnormal nature and actions. Also if the character is crazy how are you supposed to take in their feelings as genuine and not just a whim of insanity? Puts me out of the whole trope.

I'm ok with it if the crazy nature is a split personality however.
Mar 23, 2020 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
@IzayoiRose

That's true, but the MC doesn't affect my enjoyment of the Yandere as a character herself. MCs are usually boring with or without yanderes anyway, so it isn't much of a loss to me.

Also if the character is crazy how are you supposed to take in their feelings as genuine and not just a whim of insanity? Puts me out of the whole trope.

To be honest, in almost all cases I can think of the feelings are exactly that.

This same concept is also true of Yandere-chan or Ayano, where she formed a crush purely based on senpai being the only way she could experience emotions. So she did everything in her power, not necessarily for his benefit, but for hers similarly to Yuno.

I never saw the trope as trying to state that these characters actually loved their victim, and I was always fine with that. May I ask why it puts you out of the trope though?

I'm ok with it if the crazy nature is a split personality however.

Why?

@Nillwas

Alright, fair enough.
Mar 23, 2020 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
@Peaceful_Critic
The whole trope for me falls apart when you don't buy into their lovable side, as the dere doesn't work on me.

For that matter I prefer Yangire characters in general. They are simply crazy and not motivated by love so it fixes my problems with Yandere and their Otaku oriented moe side. They ain't so known tho nowadays.
Mar 23, 2020 2:56 PM
Jul 2018
@IzayoiRose

Okay, I see now why that might be a problem. Tbh, I just don't care about their lovable side, the dere part is my least favorite part and I always thought of the lovable side as a ruse anyway. So that problem really didn't affect me the same way it did you. It's a agree to disagree type thing then.

Yangire girls are a thing? Well, one thing is for sure you are right about it not being well-known. I always referred to Genocide Jack as the best yandere character, but she might be more fitting under the other trope you just listed.
Mar 23, 2020 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
Peaceful_Critic said:
@IzayoiRose

Okay, I see now why that might be a problem. Tbh, I just don't care about their lovable side, the dere part is my least favorite part and I always thought of the lovable side as a ruse anyway. So that problem really didn't affect me the same way it did you. It's a agree to disagree type thing then.

Yangire girls are a thing? Well, one thing is for sure you are right about it not being well-known. I always referred to Genocide Jack as the best yandere character, but she might be more fitting under the other trope you just listed.

Yangire and Yandere are a pain to distinguish so most people just bundle them under Yandere. The most well known Yangire is Rena Ryugu from Higurash, or Kurumi Tokisaki from Date A live. From what I can remember Touko Fukawa was more of a Yangire imo.
Mar 23, 2020 3:31 PM
Oct 2012
Yuno is one of the worst characters in fiction
Mar 24, 2020 3:35 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I like them, because crazy is exciting.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Mar 24, 2020 3:41 AM

Aug 2019
like any other character trope -or character in general- if it explains well why they're a yandere and it's well written then i dont have a problem. even though yuno is crazy, her reasoning is just childhood trauma and a guy saying one thing even though in the beginning it's said that multiple guys are into her. like it's just unrealistic and stupid
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 9 hours ago

28 by MasterTasuke »»
17 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

41 by Ende_uraa »»
17 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 11 hours ago

44 by _FRB_ »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 8 hours ago

19 by MasterTasuke »»
27 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

46 by LostSpectre »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.