Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 21, 2020 8:04 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
First episode is up online.

Looks pretty fun and I really dig the characters reactions in particular of our main cast. We got the reveal of some of the cars in the show already and some of them are really wacky, in particular the purple one with the colored eyes.

Some of the characters are introduced but Appare in particular is eyecatchy with that airheaded personality of his. Looks like it's going to be a fun season.
Mar 21, 2020 10:59 AM

Oct 2018
Is the sbr rip off any good though? Hope the plot of both will be different at least.
Ri22rkMar 21, 2020 1:53 PM
Mar 23, 2020 11:39 AM

Dec 2017
Appare being an ultra intelligent character in this period of history reminds me of Senku a bit, but he's also a lot more quirky. just an introductory episode of how they got on the american continent

looking forward to see the actual race episodes. the opening scene showed a lot of characters and weird machinery, which kind of reminds me of Redline. we'll see how it goes
Mar 28, 2020 5:05 PM

Nov 2019
Nice he said oh my god at the end
👉👌
Mar 30, 2020 8:55 PM

Mar 2019
The last P.A. Works anime I was hyped for was Fairy Gone and that made me upset. Glad to see with this first episode that this show won't be disappointing like Fairy Gone :)

Appare is going to be a fun protagonist to follow during this
Mar 30, 2020 9:52 PM

Jan 2020
Senku's Bizarre adventure: Steam Ball Run
Mar 30, 2020 9:52 PM

Jan 2020
LukasZeppeli said:
Nice he said oh my god at the end
is that a jojo reference?!!?!?
Mar 31, 2020 1:39 AM

Nov 2013
his mouth painting is actually tilting me lol

other than that, this seems like it might be a lot of fun =D
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Mar 31, 2020 3:43 AM

Jul 2017
Kaato69 said:
Senku's Bizarre adventure: Steam Ball Run
Pretty much sums this show as a whole.

A genuine surprise considering that P.A. Works originals have had moderate success until the mediocre Fairy Gone that dominated the entirety of last year.

So one of the main characters Appare Sorano, is literally the Senku of the fictional 19th Century "Historical Era" this setting is based upon. And like said character, already liking his no-BS character. Kosame Isshiki is the typical character, kinda of alike Chrome, only less intelligent.

But the idea of steam-powered vehicles and races in this era, it's originality sparks headwaves. And then, seeing glorious 19th century U.S. was a treat.

Sure to experience more fun from this.
Mar 31, 2020 6:39 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So this is Jojo's part 7 but with cars... the world is pretty cool though.
Mar 31, 2020 6:51 AM

Jan 2020
Looks promising , probably will be one of my favs this year
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Mar 31, 2020 7:45 AM
Mar 2011
Something interesting I've noticed is that flag of USA on the steamboat had 45 stars, exactly same as real end of 19th century flag
Mar 31, 2020 8:21 AM
Nov 2019
A nice introductory episode , Appare being arrogant but intelligent . Sometimes the animation is a little weird but overall a fun episode to begin with. Looking forward for more .
kenTheSaiyan13Mar 31, 2020 8:29 AM
Mar 31, 2020 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
I thought he was a girl. Is he wearing lipstick or something?
Mar 31, 2020 2:42 PM

Jul 2017
Wow this show seems goddamn interesting. Beginning part reminded me of Redline (or Jojo SBR even though I haven't even read that) and our MC reminds me of Senku so much

but hey it's been a long time since a car anime, and it looks so creative so I'm realllllly looking forward to this now. Plus the main duo seem to be great together

but wait

Studio: P.A Works

oh no oh fuk

holy shit that cast is stacked af
Mar 31, 2020 3:34 PM

Nov 2016
Nice start, a bit on the slower side, but with such a setting, premise and quirky looking characters it shows excellent promise to be an enjoyable ride.

Ngl, this should be totally my cup of tea. Here's hoping that this series won't turn into a train wreck and that it will be double-cour.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 31, 2020 8:07 PM
May 2019
Didn't like the first episode at all.

Judging by its trailers, I was hoping that the show might be some sort of whimsical and entertaining steampunk adventure. Judging by its first episode, it’s a rather heavy-handed and very aggravating muddle intended for foreign consumption. The initial largest weakness is the unpleasantness of its primary characters. Appare Sorano dresses like a kabukimono yet appears to have no appreciation or respect for his native Japanese culture. In fact, he does appear to be exactly as selfish as he’s accused of being because he seems to be highly intelligent yet have no awareness of or consideration for the social and cultural dictum he lives within nor the people he affects. In effect, he’s a raging narcissist who only cares about himself. His appointed tutor and guardian, Kosame Isshiki, is a sniveling mediator type personality who's also pathologically ignorant. He habitually hears only what he wants to hear and ignores anything that he can’t understand. For example, he scolds his sister for doing one thing then scolds her when she does the opposite. The only “right way” is the way he would have done it himself. He insists on climbing onto Appare’s boat and even pushing the throttle after Appare specifically warned him against both actions. And he also complains that Appare isn’t working only because he’s too narrow-minded to recognize that there are other ways to contribute than just performing manual labor. In the first episode all characters are stereotypes. All women are quiet, dignified, and subsuming to men. All men believe themselves supreme within their place in the patriarchal order, except for Appare, who believes himself superior to everyone else and that rules don't apply to him. Moreover, the theme of the show feels almost racist. Despite dressing in an elaborate Japanese kimono over Western overalls, Appare has no respect or regard for Japanese culture, instead worshiping Western culture like it’s a religion. And all other Japanese men in the first episode are depicted as anachronistic relics of a backward provincial culture.
Mar 31, 2020 11:45 PM

Oct 2017
A very interesting and promising start with a really oddbal protagonist. Really loved this start and unless everything goes wrong, this is gonna be a really fun show. Looking forward to the upcoming episodes.
Apr 1, 2020 3:04 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I enjoyed the comedy and the I think the two main characters have a nice relationship dynamic so far. Still not too entirely sure what to expect, but due to the comedic nature of this series, I'm thinking there will be some randomness here and there, so it should be fun. Definitely got a few chuckles out of me. It's not serious and plot heavy(?) like Fairy Gone, which I wasn't interested in enough to finish. Although Sirius was also serious (heh), but I liked that one. I still think PA Works' strength is in slice of life/drama, but so far, I have a good feeling about Appare-Ranman. I'm hoping it stays that way :')
Apr 1, 2020 5:51 AM

Mar 2016
This was an interesting start. The jokes were funny and the characters weren't hard to bear.

Even though this is fiction, I am slightly worried for Appare since he is a feminine-looking guy wearing pink in a historical setting; and he just went to America. I am not very familiar with history, but weren't East Asian countries the safest place if a guy were feminine?

Ever since last year, I've started feeling like all characters played by Hanae Natsuki are sounding alike. I am not complaining. It's just slightly distracting at times.
Apr 1, 2020 7:59 AM

May 2017
I like the story and characters but the animation is inconsistent as fuck lmao. PA Works must be broke!
Apr 1, 2020 12:44 PM

Dec 2014
not my cup of tea.... will it get interesting???
Apr 1, 2020 1:02 PM
Jul 2019
Looks interesting.......................................................
Apr 1, 2020 1:12 PM
Mar 2019
Loving the aesthetic and humor of this show. It does feel very much like a steampunk version of Dr. Stone, so I'm excited to see where this is headed.
Apr 1, 2020 1:26 PM

Jun 2013
Looks interesting it was okay
Apr 1, 2020 2:54 PM
Dec 2017
i like it, pretty good.
Apr 1, 2020 2:57 PM
Dec 2017
-MEHMET- said:
Oh my, most of the CGI cars look awful. I hope they can fix that in the next episodes.
that's completely subjective, because they don't really look bad at all...
Apr 1, 2020 2:57 PM
Dec 2017
ycleped said:
I like the story and characters but the animation is inconsistent as fuck lmao. PA Works must be broke!
how is it inconsistent? It was pretty good.
Apr 1, 2020 3:42 PM
Big Boy

Jul 2014
oppligerfj said:
Didn't like the first episode at all.

Judging by its trailers, I was hoping that the show might be some sort of whimsical and entertaining steampunk adventure. Judging by its first episode, it’s a rather heavy-handed and very aggravating muddle intended for foreign consumption. The initial largest weakness is the unpleasantness of its primary characters. Appare Sorano dresses like a kabukimono yet appears to have no appreciation or respect for his native Japanese culture. In fact, he does appear to be exactly as selfish as he’s accused of being because he seems to be highly intelligent yet have no awareness of or consideration for the social and cultural dictum he lives within nor the people he affects. In effect, he’s a raging narcissist who only cares about himself. His appointed tutor and guardian, Kosame Isshiki, is a sniveling mediator type personality who's also pathologically ignorant. He habitually hears only what he wants to hear and ignores anything that he can’t understand. For example, he scolds his sister for doing one thing then scolds her when she does the opposite. The only “right way” is the way he would have done it himself. He insists on climbing onto Appare’s boat and even pushing the throttle after Appare specifically warned him against both actions. And he also complains that Appare isn’t working only because he’s too narrow-minded to recognize that there are other ways to contribute than just performing manual labor. In the first episode all characters are stereotypes. All women are quiet, dignified, and subsuming to men. All men believe themselves supreme within their place in the patriarchal order, except for Appare, who believes himself superior to everyone else and that rules don't apply to him. Moreover, the theme of the show feels almost racist. Despite dressing in an elaborate Japanese kimono over Western overalls, Appare has no respect or regard for Japanese culture, instead worshiping Western culture like it’s a religion. And all other Japanese men in the first episode are depicted as anachronistic relics of a backward provincial culture.

Whoa, you ok my guy?
Apr 1, 2020 11:18 PM
Anime Archivist

Aug 2019
Overall fair start. Appare's outfit does stand out from the rest of his family, undertones to highlight how he's different. If the family wanted him to conform to his society's 'norms' and get a job, I'm not sure allowing Appare to construct a steamboat underneath the family estate is a good idea. If his sister knows about this dock, I feel like the rest should know unless she's also keeping secrets. He has the drive of Senku but Senku was self-aware of his more immediate needs rather then Appare who didn't have any food supplies on board. However, these are minor tidbits. Looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 2, 2020 1:22 AM

Jul 2016
That wasn't half bad, to be honest. Art style and directing's a bit dull in spots but for the most part, it's pretty entertaining. Appare's character design might be a bit much for the starting episode, but I get that it'll fit in better among all the other Steel Ball Run competitors.

So yeah, surprise good shit.
Apr 2, 2020 3:16 AM

Apr 2015
Jules Verne, Appare is a man of culture! (It's strange saying this, as I thought he was a chick) XD

I am hooked! I just hope that PA Works won't disappoint with this original work! Characters seem really interesting so far, backed up with a nice cast!

Can't wait to see them racing!

Short_Circut said:
Wow this show seems goddamn interesting. Beginning part reminded me of Redline (or Jojo SBR even though I haven't even read that) and our MC reminds me of Senku so much

but hey it's been a long time since a car anime, and it looks so creative so I'm realllllly looking forward to this now. Plus the main duo seem to be great together

but wait

Studio: P.A Works

oh no oh fuk

I can't help but mention it, especially due to your signature but I hope this Anime will fill the void a bit with everything surrounding F1 that has been cancelled/postponed! Really looking forward to this one especially for that reason!
Apr 2, 2020 8:42 AM

Mar 2015
It's good, Appare is a really good lead character.
Apr 2, 2020 9:22 AM
Jul 2019
Started it because I thought Appare was a really cute girl, but I still appreciate him as a misfit boy lol. I really enjoyed it so far, and the ed kinda slaps.
Apr 2, 2020 11:30 AM

Aug 2018
I guess many viewers iniatially thought Appare was a woman but... we were wrong lul

However he looks interesting and I appreciate the fact the whole story's going to take place in America, for a change.
Apr 2, 2020 12:55 PM

Jul 2017
CeddyyBearr said:
Jules Verne, Appare is a man of culture! (It's strange saying this, as I thought he was a chick) XD

I am hooked! I just hope that PA Works won't disappoint with this original work! Characters seem really interesting so far, backed up with a nice cast!

Can't wait to see them racing!

Short_Circut said:

but wait

oh no oh fuk

I can't help but mention it, especially due to your signature but I hope this Anime will fill the void a bit with everything surrounding F1 that has been cancelled/postponed! Really looking forward to this one especially for that reason!

yea I really hope there's a lot of racing action in this :P
Apr 2, 2020 2:05 PM

Jan 2014
Legit thought Appare was a girl from the cover haha

Pretty good first episode. The setting is really unique, and the character dynamic with Appare and the Samurai guy seems good.

Hopefully this anime gets 21-24 episodes because I can not see this being a success if they only do 12 episodes.
Apr 2, 2020 11:17 PM
May 2014
Got my attention but I'm extremely skeptical of a 12 to 24 eps long race. There's only so much you can do with that. The middle was a slog and the sciency part wasn't convincing.

Wait, wasn't this the plot of a Cars movie. Oh god, it was Planes. How do I know that?

To be fair if they made the Planes protagonist a 19 year old scientist trap with clown makeup maybe I'd have watched it.
Apr 3, 2020 11:59 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Fantastic start!

Appare really gives a stellar Senku vibe, and I'm loving that! Plus the interactions of the duo is really nice to watch too, I'm looking forward to more!

Character designs with a pinch of samurai-esque style is glorious. One of the soundtrack, in particular, really impressed me too.

Here's to hoping for this quality to retain through! Please don't make this only one cour and rush it if the story prepared for this is a big one and clearly deserves more...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 3, 2020 10:27 PM
Jan 2017
I had a bit of trouble relating Appare, at least in this episode. Sure, he's smart but the fact that he often blows off everyone around makes him come off like a jerk. That said, his attitude and dynamic with Kosame right into the comedic element the series is trying to go for. Overall, this was a good way to start the show. I'm not expecting much for it, but it could be fun.
Apr 3, 2020 11:19 PM
Feb 2012
AmineDane said:

all the real men wear lipstick
the real question is why is your forum icon the exact same as the person who commented above you?
Apr 3, 2020 11:57 PM

Aug 2019
Its hard to follow. Good cinematography, good background art, music was OK. But cmon PA.Works, can you write better character than this ?
Apr 4, 2020 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
ahneeme said:
AmineDane said:

all the real men wear lipstick
the real question is why is your forum icon the exact same as the person who commented above you?
I obviously stole it. I gave up on trying to find a picture that would fit. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) ༼ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ༽ (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 4, 2020 10:04 AM
Apr 2020
HeroVladimir93 said:
I had a bit of trouble relating Appare, at least in this episode. Sure, he's smart but the fact that he often blows off everyone around makes him come off like a jerk. That said, his attitude and dynamic with Kosame right into the comedic element the series is trying to go for. Overall, this was a good way to start the show. I'm not expecting much for it, but it could be fun.

There is no rule stating that you need to relate to the main character of the show you are watching. Appare is shown to be aloof and obnoxious on purpose, which will inevitably change over the course of the show and make him more likable to some extent at least. This is especially obvious from the portrayal of Kosame who comes as more responsible and sensible compared to Appare, yet he needs to make use of Appare's skills in order to win the race and go back to Japan.
Apr 4, 2020 11:09 PM

Nov 2012
Pretty good.
But why is he a kitsune?
Apr 4, 2020 11:41 PM

Nov 2015
Dr. Stone done right I think. Lmao this time I liked the dynamics and the general plot, appare is a cool character and the art is amazing. I'll give it a 9/10 just cuz I KNOW this story will keep improving!
Apr 5, 2020 8:44 PM

Apr 2018
I don't like the MC's weird lips... don't really know what they were going for... Still, I love the setting! It's late 19th century and it looks pretty steampunk!
Apr 6, 2020 9:20 PM

Jan 2017
Not bad for the first episode
the comedy if funny enough and the graphics are good
I will be looking forward to the next episode, seems interesting anime
Apr 9, 2020 1:51 AM
Nov 2018
Yeah lol appare is like senku.2
Apr 9, 2020 2:53 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
The main character, Appare, is a bit annoying, but I'll keep it going just to see how it goes. I do like how it's going though. I just feel like it'd go just as well if Appare had a different personality so it's kinda interesting to think about just how little the characters are actually a part of my enjoyment.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Appare-Ranman! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2020

55 by Selleri_UmU »»
Apr 11, 7:54 PM

Poll: » Appare-Ranman! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Marinate1016 - Apr 24, 2020

77 by Selleri_UmU »»
Apr 10, 8:45 PM

Poll: » Appare-Ranman! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2020

79 by Purplik »»
Dec 10, 2023 3:07 PM

Poll: » Appare-Ranman! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2020

45 by RyshaiLord »»
Dec 4, 2023 4:31 PM

Poll: » Appare-Ranman! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2020

83 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 9, 2023 3:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.