Forum Settings
Forums

New 'Higurashi no Naku Koro ni' TV Anime Debuts in Summer 2020

New
Mar 20, 2020 11:25 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Production staff, cast, and the first promotional video for the new Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi: When They Cry) anime project were revealed during Kadokawa's Spring special livestream program on Saturday. The voice cast from the original anime series will reprise their roles. The new television anime will premiere in July 2020.

Staff
Director: Keiichirou Kawaguchi (Minami-ke Tadaima, Island)
Series Composition: Naoki Hayashi (Flip Flappers, Citrus)
Music: Kenji Kawai (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Mob Psycho 100)

The new anime series is being produced by animation studio Passione (Rokka no Yuusha, Joshikousei no Mudazukai). Akio Watanabe (Bakemonogatari, Grisaia no Kajitsu) is designing the characters. Infinite is credited for production.

Cast
Keiichi Maebara: Soichiro Hoshi (Mekakucity Actors)
Rena Ryuuguu: Mai Nakahara (Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita)
Mion Sonozaki: Satsuki Yukino (Babylon)
Satoko Houjou: Mika Kanai (Choujigen Game Neptune The Animation)
Rika Furude: Yukari Tamura (Katanagatari)

Studio Deen produced the first television anime in Spring 2006, which was followed by a 24-episode sequel in Summer 2007. The five-episode Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei (When They Cry: Rei) original video anime ran between February and August 2009.

07th Expansion published the first chapter of the psychological horror visual novel, Onikakushi-hen (Demoned Away Chapter), in August 2002. The eighth and final chapter in the original series, Matsuribayashi-hen (Festival Accompanying Chapter), was released in August 2006. Three extra chapters were released in a fandisc in December that year. The latest installment in the franchise, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou (When They Cry: Gift), was published in August 2014.

PV

Source: Dengeki Online
VindstotMar 20, 2020 11:45 PM

Mar 20, 2020 11:28 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Definitely surprised by how early this'll be airing. I was expecting this sometime mid-2021 or so, honestly.

Damn, those last few seconds though. That's what I know this series is famous for.

So time for the big question. Remake, Continuation or Side-Story?
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 20, 2020 11:33 PM

Aug 2015
Damn,what's happening? Suddenly all of my favorite anime series are coming back after many years

First it was Bleach and now it's higurashi,I'm so happy
Mar 20, 2020 11:46 PM

Feb 2012
What will it be about, seems like a remake?

Nonetheless still very hyped and will watch for sure.
Mar 21, 2020 12:04 AM

Jun 2016
Kenji Kawai is back which makes me incredibly happy.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 21, 2020 1:51 AM
Jul 2018
Okay. I have soooo many things to say about this.

I am unaware of this, it suddenly came out of nowhere for me and I'm fkng surprised.

All I can say is that, I love Higurashi. But, do we really need a remake of this?

The original series is possibly the best thing that Studio Deen had given us alongside Konosuba and it ended in a better way than most anime.

Why are they remaking this and not make remakes/sequels of my other favorite shows????

At least they brought back the cast and the composer.

And Akio Watanabe doing the character design? Ummm okay?
removed-userMar 21, 2020 12:35 PM
Mar 21, 2020 2:08 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Still don't get why they decided to remake Higurashi (which already has a good adaptaiton) instead of Umineko (which desperately needs a reboot)

But anyway this looks... quite different from how I'm used to seeing it with those character designs but I think once you get used to it then it'll be quite nice. Watanabe has some pretty slick character designs
Mar 21, 2020 2:35 AM

Oct 2010
wow, so early, I'll watch it but the chara designs look weird
Mar 21, 2020 3:08 AM
Jul 2018
Nipaa!

Kei-chan looks so different... But I can take it, because the girls are as cute as ever!
Mar 21, 2020 4:31 AM

Jul 2016
More WTC project, nice. I'm looking forward to this. I'm hoping Umineko will also get a greenlit of remake, although adapting it will be really hard.
Mar 21, 2020 4:47 AM

Nov 2013
Looks decent so far, hopefully this can do a good job of recreating the atmosphere from the original and also nice to see Kenji Kawai doing the music again. Would have much preferred an Umineko reboot tbh, but maybe the success of this can help to open doors for that.
Mar 21, 2020 5:23 AM

Jul 2017
Damn son! It's time to shit my pants once again, and it'll be pretty soon xD since it's coming out this summer!

Same question like some people have asked already: reboot, or something new? Either way, I'm fine with both. I love this series, and it's great to see it back. Character designs look good imo, i just have to get used to them as the episodes go on.

Time for the fucking madness once again!
Mar 21, 2020 5:52 AM

Aug 2008
The more I watch this the more it makes me want to rewatch the original again.
Mar 21, 2020 6:39 AM

Apr 2014
Looks like a remake, which I'm fine with. I'm not really sure what they could do with a continuation (not to mention certain things seen in the trailer make it being one highly unlikely), and prequels/side stories often feel pointless.

The character designs are good, though the actual animation doesn't look amazing (specifically, Keiichi looks a bit wonky at 0:17), but the first one looked bad too and it was still a great show, so that's really the least of my worries.

I've never seen anything by Passione or this director (the single episode of Naruto he directed doesn't count, lol), so I have no frame of reference to predict whether this will turn out good or not...but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Mar 21, 2020 6:56 AM
Apr 2016
If this is really a remake how do they plan to adapt this compared to the original anime?
No matter what people say I think the 50 episodes produced by Deen were pretty good...
So what is Passionate planning to do? 72 episodes to adapt even the things that had to be originally omitted?
Mar 21, 2020 7:17 AM
Jul 2017
I can’t believe this is actually happening. Is this real life?
Mar 21, 2020 7:19 AM
Oct 2016
JanPri said:
If this is really a remake how do they plan to adapt this compared to the original anime?
No matter what people say I think the 50 episodes produced by Deen were pretty good...
So what is Passionate planning to do? 72 episodes to adapt even the things that had to be originally omitted?

50 episodes are enough, that's not the problem. And no, the Deen anime was not good, it was adapted like just an horror and the visual novel is much more than that.
Mar 21, 2020 8:22 AM

Jun 2015
HaXXspetten said:
Still don't get why they decided to remake Higurashi (which already has a good adaptaiton) instead of Umineko (which desperately needs a reboot)

I can get the Umineko part, but saying that Higurashi has a 'good adptation' is very suspicious. The amount of people that played the VN that absolutely hate it is pretty big. The production values don't look too good either.
Mar 21, 2020 9:42 AM
Apr 2014
This is going to be a disastah, cant wait
Mar 21, 2020 10:09 AM
Mar 2020
I don't know why peoples are angry with that. MAN, EVERY NEW PIECE OF HIGURASHI IS A GAIN OF MAGNIFICENCE IN THE WORLD!
Mar 21, 2020 10:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Ottes said:
HaXXspetten said:

I can get the Umineko part, but saying that Higurashi has a 'good adptation' is very suspicious. The amount of people that played the VN that absolutely hate it is pretty big. The production values don't look too good either.
Nah the adaptation is just fine. Yeah the anime has terrible visuals but let's be real, the VN has even worse visuals originally lol. Hence why everyone plays it with the sprites imported from the Playstation port

But anyway more importantly it's a totally fine adaptation story-wise. The only arc I think is a bit sub-par compared to the VN is Tsumihoroboshi-hen which was excellent in the game, but other than that it's pretty spot on

Visual novel adaptations in general are usually pretty terrible compared to their source materials but Higurashi is widely considered to be among the better ones
Mar 21, 2020 10:59 AM

May 2015
Users thinking that this will end up being 50 episodes (25 episodes split cour, like the original) should keep those expectations in check... the possibilities of that happening are quite low.

Frankly, I have low expectations for this as most of today’s remakes (with a very few exceptions) end up being below-par their originals (being this a remake of a VN makes all this even worse). There is also the director which doesn’t inspire confidence as he has never worked/directed series within the genre of mystery, thriller, and/or horror before. Production values are decent, but not exceptional. I was at least expecting more in that department, but it is what it is.

Anyhow, the best thing about the series' first adaptation was its dreadful atmosphere and the way characters’ decent to madness as each arc reach culmination. If this doesn’t reach and/or improve that, then this will be a pass/drop for me.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Mar 21, 2020 11:14 AM

Nov 2018
Wow! It's good to see,it's gonna happen now.Though it's not Umineko.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Mar 21, 2020 8:57 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Really bizarre to see Watanabe's art in Higurashi. It's slowly growing on me, though.
Also will it be a new adaptation of the visual novel, or a remake of the anime?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2020 4:01 AM

Apr 2012
If they are going to reboot the original anime, then I agree. The animation seems to be sufficient and the preservation of the original cast inspires some hope. The original anime was one of the most influential anime fan in my anime fan's "career", so that means a lot to me.

Maurict99 said:
JanPri said:

50 episodes are enough, that's not the problem. And no, the Deen anime was not good, it was adapted like just an horror and the visual novel is much more than that.

The choice of time of the year suggests that this anime will also be positioned as horror.
Mar 22, 2020 5:45 PM

Jun 2019
I won't watch it if it's a remake since the original is about as close to perfect as an anime gets for me and already offers me everything, so I'd rather just rewatch it the next time I'm in the mood rather than see a remake.

I would definitely hope for this to be a sequel like Higurashi Rei or some other form of supplementary content to the main story. I'd rather see a sequel which makes reference to the chain of events from the main story and establishes succession rather than a more non-canon side story as well.

The appeal of remakes though may in large part be not even for the original fanbase, but the potential for a whole new fanbase since it's now 14 years on from 2006.

The only remakes I typically watch though are ones I happened to see growing up before being aware of the existence of or having a chance to see the original version, or ones where I heavily dislike the original version for whatever reason.
Mar 22, 2020 8:25 PM
Jul 2018
It doesn't look scary anymore.

The new art style is better imo
Mar 22, 2020 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
"Akio Watanabe doing Higurashi" would have made 14 year old me jump with joy, but alas, his art style has changed immensely since then so she would be disappointed with how this looks. I do think it looks better than the first season of the Deen version, but Kai looks better than this.

I still think Umineko deserves the remake treatment more, if only because the Deen Higurashi was still enjoyable on its own even if it wasn't perfect.
removed-userMar 23, 2020 6:06 PM
Mar 23, 2020 9:05 AM

Aug 2015
I am REALLY really excited for this!!

Who else blasted through ALL of Higurashi and the sequel? I never played the games (I don't own them on Steam) but ... I want to!
Mar 26, 2020 4:27 AM

Jul 2010
Are they in a hurry? In view of the problems now, they will salt the project to hell. I understand, money, but can money+quality?
May be some anime?
Apr 10, 2020 3:32 AM

Oct 2015
Is it quality?
Tho it seems a bit strange
Apr 16, 2020 2:41 AM

Apr 2017
Eh, I'll watch it. I won't have massive expectations, though.
Awoo :3
Apr 18, 2020 1:10 PM

Jan 2020
If this is a remake, I'm definitely watching it. But... I'm afraid there will be a lot of censorship involved. I hope not, but I don't know..
Apr 20, 2020 5:29 AM

Sep 2013
Ah shit here we go again.
May 4, 2020 10:02 PM

Mar 2020
Cauli....Broccoli!
May 4, 2020 11:45 PM
May 2020

I've watched it and I like it
Please Visit My Website

More topics from this board

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

15 by RobertBobert »»
Today, 1:39 AM

» 'Fruits Basket' Creator Launches New Manga

Hyperion_PS - Sep 2, 2023

20 by KeyboardBunny »»
Yesterday, 8:04 AM

» 'Kijin Gentoushou' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 22

6 by JackAward »»
Apr 13, 1:07 PM

» Voice Actress Mutsumi Tamura Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Apr 1

15 by CrackedYolk »»
Apr 12, 10:50 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

23 by infanf »»
Apr 12, 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.