Forum Settings
Forums

MAL Rewrite: Calling all grammar gurus and proofreading pros!

New
Mar 12, 2020 2:11 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Rewriting one crummy synopsis at a time.

2,300+ synopses uploaded, and counting!

What is MAL Rewrite?
MAL Rewrite is a project tasked with the goal of rewriting all anime and manga synopses in our databases. Yes, all. We think that trustworthy, well-written synopses by the community for the community is one important factor when deciding what to watch/read. Towards this goal, we hold two recruitment drives per year to recruit users who are also passionate about synopses, and want to give a little of their time to MAL in a productive way.

How do I get involved?
Interested in volunteering? MAL Rewrite is currently looking for:
  • Editors: Users who possess excellent grammar skills and are proofreading ninjas with a keen eye for detail and accuracy. English does not have to be your native language. All editors must be good writers (and you can still write synopsis as an editor, too!).

• !! Writers: Users who have an aptitude and passion for writing and producing superior content. English does not have to be your native language. It's preferable that you've watched/read the series you're writing about.

Ready to participate?
Submit the MAL Rewrite Application Form. We will evaluate your writing and/or editing skills, and if we find that you meet our requirements, you will be invited to join the club. Please note that MAL Rewrite is always recruiting. There is no deadline.

Interested in learning more about MAL Rewrite and following its achievements? Subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter.

We look forward to your submissions :)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 12, 2020 2:13 PM

May 2016
Can you do something also about how awful the moderation and mods here are as well? There are threads popping up complaining about them to. Please find new ones or put them in place. Thanks.
Mar 12, 2020 2:51 PM
Apr 2016
Free labour and everything is well as we all know Bernie Sanders... but since I have just found my one and only entry finally a part of the Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu original material synopsis I will end at that.
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
Can you do something also about how awful the moderation and mods here are as well? There are threads popping up complaining about them to. Please find new ones or put them in place. Thanks.

Will not happen. MAL regime is a rigid closed society which is long established by now, a circle of friends working rather than being a part of the community.
Re:formed
Mar 12, 2020 3:45 PM

Nov 2016
While I'd love to become staff, I fear that I may end up detracting from the quality of work that I desperately need for college. If I could become an editor, that might be different, but I have no qualifications besides my reviews .

Mar 12, 2020 4:00 PM

Sep 2013
Rabb2t said:
While I'd love to become staff, I fear that I may end up detracting from the quality of work that I desperately need for college. If I could become an editor, that might be different, but I have no qualifications besides my reviews .

That's fine, we don't have a quota that you have to meet every month or anything like that. If you make it as an editor, all we ask is that you complete two edits within your first month and you're free to work at your own pace after that.
Mar 12, 2020 4:27 PM
Aug 2019
What exactly does work entail? Like, what would I be doing if I was accepted?
Mar 13, 2020 2:07 AM
Apr 2016
Rabb2t said:

Basically you will enjoy the status of an editor without actually having to work. Which is frankly nonsense, and it explains why the platform is still full of sub-standard texts.
Re:formed
Mar 13, 2020 2:47 AM
May 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:

Basically you will enjoy the status of an editor without actually having to work. Which is frankly nonsense, and it explains why the platform is still full of sub-standard texts.
Seriously, what is it with you?
Everywhere you write, you are such a pest.

Ever since the early days of MAL, people were always voluntarily contributing, be it for database, forums, or this one MAL Rewrite action.
Mar 13, 2020 4:16 AM
Mar 2019
Do join, we always appreciate young and innocent writers to bully
Mar 13, 2020 4:22 AM

Feb 2016
Uchuuu said:

Editor here:
No formal qualifications are required and the new member requirement is very lax. At the minimum you only need to write a synopsis a month for writers or edit at least two a month for editors.

Just to clarify, that's only for your first month after joining. After that, like Uber said, you're free to work entirely at your own pace.
Mar 13, 2020 8:11 AM

Jan 2015
My attention span is so small, I literally cannot go through the forms in one sitting.
StellarIcebergMar 13, 2020 8:16 AM
Your life to come is bound to make you smile
Mar 13, 2020 2:58 PM

Aug 2018
Rabb2t said:

My previous post was slightly inaccurate. The requirements for writers is one synopsis in their first month. And for editors, it is two edits. After this period you can work as you wish.
Mar 13, 2020 3:02 PM
Jun 2010
I do these kinds of things professionally (for various languages) and I get paid pretty damn well. Don't understand how you guys expect people to want to do it for free, but ok... Good luck! (not meant sarcastically xD)
Mar 13, 2020 5:00 PM

Nov 2016
Faeron said:
I do these kinds of things professionally (for various languages) and I get paid pretty damn well. Don't understand how you guys expect people to want to do it for free, but ok... Good luck! (not meant sarcastically xD)

I mean, compared to a professional job, this is very low commitment. This site in itself is run by volunteers that all do this not for cash, but out of passion. While yes, getting offered money is superior to not, the people on this site aren't doing it for a livelihood. There's also the case where certain people work better when they're doing it out of passion, instead of money. You're going to deliver a product with a message that reaches more people if you're passionate.

Mar 13, 2020 5:30 PM
Nov 2016
Faeron said:

I would gladly take up this job for free because I didn't get into this for making money, I genuinely want it to have a good appeal and it's also something I'm passionate about and love.
I mean I really can't stand seeing bad grammar used for an Anime I love
Mar 13, 2020 6:25 PM

May 2011
And all of this without getting a penny.
Mar 13, 2020 10:03 PM
Manga Moderator
Flying Stingray

Feb 2015
___epsilon___ said:
What exactly does work entail? Like, what would I be doing if I was accepted?

As a writer, you choose something which does not yet have a synopsis with the [Written by MAL Rewrite] tag (and not claimed by another writer yet), and just write for it.

Editors look over the synopses written by a writer and make changes as they see fit (i.e. fixing grammar, arranging information for flow, word choice, etc.).
Mar 14, 2020 1:05 AM

Oct 2008
This is right up my alley! I have been wanting to get more involved with MAL in recent years, much like someone gets into politics, to create lasting, positive change. I will certainly be applying. Look forward to it!
Mar 14, 2020 1:13 AM

Mar 2018
Kineta said:

Rewriting one crummy synopsis at a time.

2,300+ synopses uploaded, and counting!

What is MAL Rewrite?
MAL Rewrite is a project tasked with the goal of rewriting all anime and manga synopses in our databases. Yes, all. We think that trustworthy, well-written synopses by the community for the community is one important factor when deciding what to watch/read. Towards this goal, we hold two recruitment drives per year to recruit users who are also passionate about synopses, and want to give a little of their time to MAL in a productive way.

How do I get involved?
Interested in volunteering? MAL Rewrite is currently looking for:
  • Editors: Users who possess excellent grammar skills and are proofreading ninjas with a keen eye for detail and accuracy. English does not have to be your native language. All editors must be good writers (and you can still write synopsis as an editor, too!).

• !! Writers: Users who have an aptitude and passion for writing and producing superior content. English does not have to be your native language. It's preferable that you've watched/read the series you're writing about.

Ready to participate?
Submit the MAL Rewrite Application Form. We will evaluate your writing and/or editing skills, and if we find that you meet our requirements, you will be invited to join the club. Please note that MAL Rewrite is always recruiting. There is no deadline.

Interested in learning more about MAL Rewrite and following its achievements? Subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter.

We look forward to your submissions :)

Are we get paid? And do i have to come to office? It's working online, isn't it?
Mar 14, 2020 3:28 AM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Come and join us! The community is very great, the moderators are very nice, the people are very helpful. We are all here in the journey to become better not just in writing skill, but also in society, and of course—in life!
Mar 14, 2020 7:58 AM

Jan 2018
Inb4 child labor lol. I would pass cause mal rewrite is basically asking to get spoiled otherwise it's hard to correct it. Write a simple present tense english is doable for most as long as they can differentiate the usage of your / you're.
Mar 15, 2020 3:26 PM

Apr 2018
lkevsan said:

Considering it's volunteer work, and the only quota as a writer is one synopsis within your first two months (or two if you're an editor), it makes sense. None of us do it because there's something in it for us; most of the editors and writers I know do it because they want to improve the site.

But w/e.

*Edit, for writers it's one SYNOPSIS, not edit.
DoubleJEspejwan6Mar 16, 2020 11:19 AM
Mar 16, 2020 5:16 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
I like to think I have pretty good writing skills but I doubt I have the time and attention span to be particularly helpful in either official role. I think I'll just continue to submit the occasional suggestions on things I.E. adding new information to character listings that are not particularly detailed.

That and my terrible reviews that are helpful to no one lmao.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 16, 2020 11:18 AM

Aug 2018
lkevsan said:

Hello, please see what the word "volunteer" means.
Mar 16, 2020 1:59 PM
Oct 2015
Wow i thought MAL got some money per month from advertising. More than 40m visit to me sound like 30k or more per month, without counting custom ads. I do not know the cost to run the website, but this website, if it has 40m views per month, are all well deserved. Keep on
Mar 16, 2020 4:41 PM

Jan 2017
I'm sorry but this is honestly pretty disgusting. You're dealing with adults here, you do realize this right? Invest the money you're making instead of taking advantage of your user base.
Mar 16, 2020 9:36 PM

May 2010
Is this a paid position?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 16, 2020 9:43 PM

Mar 2012
Should I copy paste my screenshot from google about what volunteer mean is?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 17, 2020 1:04 AM

Jun 2019
As an English learner (since 15 years or so^^), I think that this is a good idea to join to find motivation to write polished texts (as a writer) and to keep improving. I however suspect that edition should be reserved for native speakers or C2 level English speakers (it's harder to see "mistakes"). Don't hesitate to apply and join!

Why do people want to get paid so badly? There are no commitments (in terms of number of written/edited synopsis) after the first month, only your super-ego will tell you to keep contributing. Furthermore, the work is collective between the writer and the two editors, and for a 150 words text the salary would not be so high anyway... And it's not comparable to a full-researcher position in Academia (no official commitments).

Furthermore, an important legal point raised in the Ishuzoku Reviewers threads is that MAL Rewrite members are not all living in the US and some are already working. So it might be hard to officially hire people all over the world, and the ones who are working may be unable for local legal reason to have another work contract. Considering the low salary eventually paid to the writers and editors, legal costs might be just unseasonably high in comparison.

Finally, for a community living since decades thanks to volunteers, I find pleasant to see people complaining here about a volunteer work which is nowhere close to the time-consuming one of fan-subbing (say).
Mar 17, 2020 2:11 PM

Aug 2018
Cneq said:
I'm sorry but this is honestly pretty disgusting. You're dealing with adults here, you do realize this right? Invest the money you're making instead of taking advantage of your user base.

Confucius said:
Is this a paid position?

For a position with no commitments and a small digital badge on your profile, do you really expect to be paid?
Mar 17, 2020 2:38 PM

Jan 2017
Uchuuu said:
Cneq said:

Confucius said:
Is this a paid position?

For a position with no commitments and a small digital badge on your profile, do you really expect to be paid?
Regardless of how much of a commitment it is they've decided getting 100 or so users to do the work instead of using their vast wealth to buy let's say 5 professional editors . Of course business wise you can already see the choice with the most benefit for them but that doesn't mean it's the most consumer friendly approach.
Mar 17, 2020 3:04 PM

Aug 2018
Cneq said:
Uchuuu said:

Regardless of how much of a commitment it is they've decided getting 100 or so users to do the work instead of using their vast wealth to buy let's say 5 professional editors . Of course business wise you can already see the choice with the most benefit for them but that doesn't mean it's the most consumer friendly approach.

Would you criticise a large company for running a volunteer project that has

a) no commitments
b) no termination time
c) you choose your working hours to the second
d) giving you a friendly platform to chat on and hate on the main MAL Discord server
e) looks good on your resume despite not having any formal requirements
f) giving people who are passionate about something an opportunity to do it with other people who have the same interests

No idiot on earth criticises a community project for not being a premium, private project. By your logic you should seriously hate GitHub too.

Edit: And bear in mind that we don't just magically look at the cover title of an anime and write its synopsis. We have to actually watch the anime and learn various skills to craft a synopsis suited towards it. It would cost huge amounts to actually hire people.
Mar 17, 2020 3:12 PM

Jan 2017
Uchuuu said:
Cneq said:

a) no commitments
b) no termination time
d) giving you a friendly platform to chat on and hate on the main MAL Discord server
f) giving people who are passionate about something an opportunity to do it with other people who have the same interests

No idiot on earth criticises a community project for not being a premium, private project. By your logic you should seriously hate GitHub too.
The prospect is what's flawed, not the actual work involved. They shouldn't be depending on volunteers, period. Using your own userbase as free labour instead of actually hiring people to save a buck is not a good business practise.

Do you even know what you're talking about? GitHub is a community based service which let's people contribute to other peoples projects, it isn't being run by one central group working on a single service , it's a web of thousands of people helping each other out.

A company gaining free labor with volunteers is NOT a community project, it's simply free labor. The community isn't working on MAL with extreme open-ended power like something open source, it's a website controlled by a single group that cannot be changed and all you're doing is menial tasks such as editing stuff they don't want to pay anyone to do.
Mar 17, 2020 3:16 PM

Aug 2018
Cneq said:
Uchuuu said:

a) no commitments
b) no termination time

The prospect is what's flawed, not the actual work involved. They shouldn't be depending on volunteers, period. Using your own userbase as free labour instead of actually hiring people to save a buck is not a good business practise.

Do you even know what you're talking about? GitHub is a community based service which let's people contribute to other peoples projects, it isn't being run by one central group working on a single service , it's a web of thousands of people helping each other out.

A company gaining free labor with volunteers is NOT a community project, it's simply free labor. The community isn't working on MAL with extreme open-ended power like something open source, it's a website controlled by a single group that cannot be changed and all you're doing is menial tasks such as editing stuff they don't want to pay anyone to do.

Huh? So people who voluntarily want to help a "company" shouldn't be allowed to? In the end, MAL Rewrite is by the users, for the users. If you have anything wrong with this philosophy then I'm sorry, you're pretty much against any open-source and collaborative project on the internet, whether it be Wikipedia to VLC Media Player. What you see as "free labour" is a warm and welcoming community-driven project to thousands of others.

And for the record, please do not be so condescending. I have used GitHub for more than six years. Its principles are exactly the same in thousands of cases.
Mar 17, 2020 3:22 PM

Jan 2017
Uchuuu said:
Cneq said:

Huh? So people who voluntarily want to help a "company" shouldn't be allowed to? In the end, MAL Rewrite is by the users, for the users. If you have anything wrong with this philosophy then I'm sorry, you're pretty much against any open-source and collaborative project on the internet, whether it be Wikipedia to VLC Media Player. What you see as "free labour" is a warm and welcoming community-driven project to thousands of others.

And for the record, please do not be so condescending. I have used GitHub for more than six years.
Don't put words into my mouth, I never said I had a problem with the people doing the work, I said I have a problem with the person who decided to profit of free labor instead of using their wealth to finance the website professionally.

And no, MAL doesn't follow an open source philosophy in the slightest, no idea why you're making me repeat myself but the tasks that are being done here is simple menial labor, it can't be compared in any shape or form to actual open source projects.

To be fair I find that a bit questionable since you hardly even know what "open-source" equates to.

If MAL truly wanted to be open-source they would need to go above and beyond despite being a massive business and instead of forcing menial tasks like editing/writing on these people they would need to open everything up and let people shape and improve the entirety of the site. From new features, design changes and all manner of things. Of course they'd need to be approved but that is something that would warrant a "community" based effort, not simply throwing small tasks to your userbase instead of paying professionals for it.
Mar 17, 2020 4:30 PM

Jan 2017
Mythologically said:
Cneq said:

Why? What, besides for you arbitrarily not liking it, makes it "not a good business practice"?

No one volunteers to do "menial labor," and there is no such thing as victimless crime. In the end, MAL Rewrite is a bunch of people who enjoy writing/editing doing things that they enjoy in order to give back to the community. The writers/editors benefit, the MAL staff benefit, and the general MAL user benefits. No one loses anything, and there's absolutely nothing to be upset about.

In the end, you're simply making a meaningless, arbitrary claim.
That line of thinking is basically this:

If all parties are OK with it, regardless of the questionable nature, makes it automatically OK. Do you seriously expect me to value your opinion when you follow a rabbit hole of flawed thinking such as that?

I've already said multiple times why it's morally gray to pump off menial labor to your user base instead of paying professionals to do it. They don't care for "community contributions" because if they did they would allow for more than just simple repetitive tasks being completed by volunteers. They either:

1. Don't trust the core user-base to make meaningful changes to their business

2. Simply don't want them to, despite trusting them, since they still prefer holding complete control over their project as a whole [which automatically makes them against the core philosophy of open-source where contributions from the community hold power and can bring about change]

This isn't a community contribution, you can embellish the idea as much as you want but when it comes down to it the activity between all parties right now is simple cold corporate decision making to make money. Funds not spent are funds earned.
Mar 17, 2020 5:11 PM

Aug 2018
Cneq said:
Mythologically said:

Why? What, besides for you arbitrarily not liking it, makes it "not a good business practice"?

No one volunteers to do "menial labor," and there is no such thing as victimless crime. In the end, MAL Rewrite is a bunch of people who enjoy writing/editing doing things that they enjoy in order to give back to the community. The writers/editors benefit, the MAL staff benefit, and the general MAL user benefits. No one loses anything, and there's absolutely nothing to be upset about.

In the end, you're simply making a meaningless, arbitrary claim.

If all parties are OK with it, regardless of the questionable nature, makes it automatically OK. Do you seriously expect me to value your opinion when you follow a rabbit hole of flawed thinking such as that?

I've already said multiple times why it's morally gray to pump off menial labor to your user base instead of paying professionals to do it. They don't care for "community contributions" because if they did they would allow for more than just simple repetitive tasks being completed by volunteers. They either:

2. Simply don't want them to, despite trusting them, since they still prefer holding complete control over their project as a whole [which automatically makes them against the core philosophy of open-source where contributions from the community hold power and can bring about change]

This isn't a community contribution, you can embellish the idea as much as you want but when it comes down to it the activity between all parties right now is simple cold corporate decision making to make money. Funds not spent are funds earned.

You are forgetting that MAL Rewrite did not start as an official MAL project. It was started by the community and MAL simply gave their support for it. Please stop politicising and debating over EVERYTHING. The reason there is so much toxicity online is because of people like you. MAL is a fucking anime forum, not Tsarist Russia.
Mar 17, 2020 5:23 PM

Jan 2017
Uchuuu said:
Cneq said:

You are forgetting that MAL Rewrite did not start as an official MAL project. It was started by the community and MAL simply gave their support for it. Please stop politicising and debating over EVERYTHING. The reason there is so much toxicity online is because of people like you. MAL is a fucking anime forum, not Tsarist Russia.
So instead of acknowledging the issue I'm talking about you run away and blame it all on "politicising". Fair enough I guess, can't expect someone to question the very foundation of the project they're working on when doing so would mean questioning their past efforts and association with it. Have a good one mate.
Mar 17, 2020 5:27 PM

Jan 2017
Mythologically said:
Cneq said:

I like how you did not address any of my points and just repeated the exact same thing. That's how it always goes with MAL users. It's unbearably tiring. Gold star for you dude.
I like how you did not address any of my points and can't comprehend that your points were already addressed with what I "repeated". That's how it always goes with hypocrites. Gold star for you dude.
Mar 17, 2020 6:14 PM

Jan 2017
Mythologically said:
Cneq said:
I like how you did not address any of my points and can't comprehend that your points were already addressed with what I "repeated". That's how it always goes with hypocrites. Gold star for you dude.

Yeah, when you just dismissed all of my points with "haha it's morally questionable because i said so," and literally proceeded to copy-paste one of your previous posts, that was me not addressing any of your points. Bingo.

Writing/editing synopses is not menial labor. People do not volunteer to do menial labor. Menial labor can be done by anyone, and it is not enjoyable. Neither of those things applies. Your whole argument is built around the ridiculous premise that writing/editing is menial labor. You are wrong.

MAL does allow for volunteers to do more than just write/edit synopses. Every moderator on this site is a volunteer. You volunteer to be a moderator. That's how it works. Users can also add anime/manga entries; once again, volunteering to contribute to the site. What else could MAL possibly let regular users do? Once again, you're wrong.

All you have done is make stupid, untrue statements. It is a community contribution because the community is contributing to the site. That's not a subjective opinion; it is an objective fact. Once again, as I said before, you are complaining about something that you have no involvement with, despite the people being involved in it not complaining about it. Your entire "argument," if one could call it that, is based entirely on your own delusions.
Are you seriously not even self-aware? I answered your points. If you don't agree with those points explain to me why it's "not morally questionable". I gave you multiple reasons why I thought it was and you've given nothing. You're completing avoiding the issue.

Woah there buddy, let's pull it back here. You butted in on a conversation speaking about open-source philosophy and my use of "community contributions" is directly in relation to that meaning.

In my humble opinion, being a mod for a forum such as this is in fact menial labor, same goes for a VERY basic and inconsequential area of editing. Almost anyone with a hardly any education can easily jump into a moderator position or work on editing small stuff such as synopsis with a few guidelines and do the jobs.

All that's required for that small type of editing is proficiency with english and that is almost assured if you have a high-school education. Moderator wise considering MAL is a very informal place to begin with there's not a whole lot that needs to be taken completely seriously and someone with basic common sense and morals can easily discern how to moderate everything.

Same goes with lifting dirt, packing boxes, gardening etc You learn the process and you do it, there's not a whole lot else that's demanded, which is why it's menial labor.

However let's say MAL wanted to really follow an open source philosophy and decided to let graphic designers, programmers, human interface designers, consultants and even analysts to design proper systems to display data from our lists or anything of that nature and let that power shape the site with supervision that's where even "menial labor" could be more acceptable.

However like I've already said they remain in complete control of the entire project and therefore it can't be classed as a community contribution in regards to the philosophy of open source.

Your ideas of "community contributions" are very surface level and aren't designed to only benefit the community. Adding listings, anime watched and all of that has direct gain for the individual which is precisely why people use this site in the first place, to track their anime. Editing people mistakes is not core to the user experience and is reserved for those managing the site, i.e true MAL staff, with them offloading these issues to the user base to correct under the pretense of being some community beacon to help out is morally wrong and untruthful. It's free labor, plain and simple. Editing is "labor" where as using MAL to track your anime for entertainment is not.

"Once again, as I said before, you are complaining about something that you have no involvement with, despite the people being involved in it not complaining about it."

See, there it is again, that warped way of thinking. Do you seriously think just because people involved in something aren't complaining somehow makes it morally correct? I don't see the Chinese in their factories complaining despite getting crumbs for 18+ hour shifts but does that mean it's somehow "OK" to treat people as literal cattle? Of course not.

No idea how you've gotten this naive but you need to learn how to question everything and make observations and work your brain, critical analysis is something that you need to be using constantly. Don't shut off your own thinking just because it feels "OK".
Mar 17, 2020 6:49 PM

Jan 2017
Mythologically said:
Cneq said:
Are you seriously not even self-aware? I answered your points. If you don't agree with those points explain to me why it's "not morally questionable". I gave you multiple reasons why I thought it was and you've given nothing. You're completing avoiding the issue.

Woah there buddy, let's pull it back here. You butted in on a conversation speaking about open-source philosophy and my use of "community contributions" is directly in relation to that meaning.

In my humble opinion, being a mod for a forum such as this is in fact menial labor, same goes for a VERY basic and inconsequential area of editing. Almost anyone with a hardly any education can easily jump into a moderator position or work on editing small stuff such as synopsis with a few guidelines and do the jobs.

All that's required for that small type of editing is proficiency with english and that is almost assured if you have a high-school education. Moderator wise considering MAL is a very informal place to begin with there's not a whole lot that needs to be taken completely seriously and someone with basic common sense and morals can easily discern how to moderate everything.

Same goes with lifting dirt, packing boxes, gardening etc You learn the process and you do it, there's not a whole lot else that's demanded, which is why it's menial labor.

However let's say MAL wanted to really follow an open source philosophy and decided to let graphic designers, programmers, human interface designers, consultants and even analysts to design proper systems to display data from our lists or anything of that nature and let that power shape the site with supervision that's where even "menial labor" could be more acceptable.

However like I've already said they remain in complete control of the entire project and therefore it can't be classed as a community contribution in regards to the philosophy of open source.

Your ideas of "community contributions" are very surface level and aren't designed to only benefit the community. Adding listings, anime watched and all of that has direct gain for the individual which is precisely why people use this site in the first place, to track their anime. Editing people mistakes is not core to the user experience and is reserved for those managing the site, i.e true MAL staff, with them offloading these issues to the user base to correct under the pretense of being some community beacon to help out is morally wrong and untruthful. It's free labor, plain and simple. Editing is "labor" where as using MAL to track your anime for entertainment is not.

"Once again, as I said before, you are complaining about something that you have no involvement with, despite the people being involved in it not complaining about it."

See, there it is again, that warped way of thinking. Do you seriously think just because people involved in something aren't complaining somehow makes it morally correct? I don't see the Chinese in their factories complaining despite getting crumbs for 18+ hour shifts but does that mean it's somehow "OK" to treat people as literal cattle? Of course not.

No idea how you've gotten this naive but you need to learn how to question everything and make observations and work your brain, critical analysis is something that you need to be using constantly. Don't shut off your own thinking just because it feels "OK".

Strange how it must be extremely easy to become a writer or editor, yet we rejected 1.5x times the writers we accepted last year. And that's for writers, not for editors, who have a much more difficult entrance examination. Once again, as with literally everything you have said, you are wrong.

I never said anything about MAL being open-source. It isn't, and it shouldn't be. That has no impact on the thing I initially asked you about.

There's a very simple bottom line here, and it's that there is no victimless crime. As I said before, but you completely ignored that point, because you can't refute it. Not a single user on this site is negatively impacted by MAL Rewrite. You can argue bullshit philosophy/semantics all you want, but unless you can counter this basic statement, your whole argument is meaningless.

Lastly, I do not believe there to be anything at all wrong with sweatshops, but that's a completely different discussion.
There is no need to refute a statement that holds zero meaning to this discussion. I've said MULTIPLE times that regardless if EVERY party involved is OK and is not suffering from x factor doesn't automatically mean x factor is exempt from being morally wrong.

That is the bottom line, suffering or no suffering a concept being morally wrong or questionable still holds true, regardless if the parties somehow become content with it. For example if people somehow become content with living in a police state where they're treated as nothing but human garbage that doesn't mean the entire situation is somehow exempt from being "morally wrong" just because they're "ok" with it. That's the mentality of a slave.

If you fail to understand that there is no point going around in circles with you.

"Lastly, I do not believe there to be anything at all wrong with sweatshops, but that's a completely different discussion."

You've ended all credibility you have to this discussion by that statement alone, you're no longer even worth wasting my time with. Have a good one mate.
Mar 17, 2020 8:08 PM

Apr 2018
> Equating living in a police state and slavery with willingly volunteering to write and edit anime synopses without any quotas.

Holy fuck dude. If there was an issue with MALRewrite, it would have been addressed already. Also, it isn't really fair to judge a community project when you aren't even a part of it and have no clue about the inner machinations.

We're just a bunch of anime-loving idiots who also happen to love writing and editing.

It ain't that deep fam.
Mar 17, 2020 9:32 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
What the hell happened to this thread lmao, we just wanted some cool new volunteers...
Mar 17, 2020 9:45 PM

Apr 2018
Fario-P said:
What the hell happened to this thread lmao, we just wanted some cool new volunteers...

Apparently we're recruiting for an unreasonable and immoral group taking advantage of menial labor. Or something like that.
Mar 18, 2020 7:32 AM

Apr 2013
Step 1. Put your hands on keyboard
Step 2. Close your eyes.
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Done!?
Mar 18, 2020 12:50 PM

Jan 2015
Oh be quiet you naive hypocrite. Do you seriously have the gall to call me toxic and then proceed to call me deranged, worst of the worst and to shut the fuck up? Get out of here mate lmao Go pop a Valium and chill out before you butt into another conversation and embarrass yourself yet again.
How was I "preachy"? I gave my opinion and debated why I thought the entire prospect was wrong. Making a thread publicly on the forums is basically inviting people to discuss it, which I did. If you have a problem with my opinion then simply ignore it, or debate it. However you seriously do not have the right to say I can't state my opinion lmao

If people are so insecure that they get personally offended just because I questioned the nature of something they're a part of they shouldn't be on the internet in the first place.
Mar 19, 2020 1:37 PM

Nov 2019
@Cneq lad, if they get their rocks off to being duped into "volunteer" work then let 'em be. You know full well you're shouting at a wall.

I just hope MAL is sending y'all proper volunteer hour vouchers for your time at the least so you can actually claim them. Doubtful but let's be optimistic. Bet a lot of this is the fact most synopsis blurbs are/were lifted straight from other sites or official materials, a very big copyright liability. It's actually surprising that licensors or ANN never made a big deal about it, unless that is why this new labor drive got kicked off. Considering good copy costs a fortune, it makes sense to mobilize the gulags instead. The bar is adequately low considering how cringe and bland the lifted synops were to start with and with so many series' being adaptions of manga you essentially can copy paste synops across whole IPs to cut the necessary work.

There is only one thing that moves MAL, corpo feeling like their cash pump is endangered. I admit they've got some good business sense if nothing else. For their next trick they should declare 501c status as a religious organisation so the servers are tax-exempt and volunteer hours/manga purchases are tax deductible contributions lmao.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Mar 20, 2020 6:54 AM

Aug 2018
ItsaNico said:
@Cneq lad, if they get their rocks off to being duped into "volunteer" work then let 'em be. You know full well you're shouting at a wall.

I just hope MAL is sending y'all proper volunteer hour vouchers for your time at the least so you can actually claim them. Doubtful but let's be optimistic. Bet a lot of this is the fact most synopsis blurbs are/were lifted straight from other sites or official materials, a very big copyright liability. It's actually surprising that licensors or ANN never made a big deal about it, unless that is why this new labor drive got kicked off. Considering good copy costs a fortune, it makes sense to mobilize the gulags instead. The bar is adequately low considering how cringe and bland the lifted synops were to start with and with so many series' being adaptions of manga you essentially can copy paste synops across whole IPs to cut the necessary work.

There is only one thing that moves MAL, corpo feeling like their cash pump is endangered. I admit they've got some good business sense if nothing else. For their next trick they should declare 501c status as a religious organisation so the servers are tax-exempt and volunteer hours/manga purchases are tax deductible contributions lmao.

Yeah, thanks for your concern :) We get meal vouchers every other month. It's not enough to feed my kids but protecting MAL's monetary interests is my first priority.
UchuuuMar 20, 2020 7:31 AM
Mar 20, 2020 7:08 AM

Feb 2016
Hey guys let's go back to being kawaii instead of arguing uwu
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

211 by Kauam_ »»
2 hours ago

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3335 by --sayori-- »»
3 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Feb 23

194 by Seruki123 »»
Apr 14, 9:54 AM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.