Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 10, 2020 9:12 AM

Aug 2018
Orhunaa said:
tinyfin said:

lol I was actually going to quote the other person you quoted when I saw what they wrote, because I really agree with that too.

to me there's no such thing as shit taste in anime, nor good taste; people just enjoy different things. there is no true objective scale to rate the different aspects of anime, it's only by how many people were able to appreciate it. hence, the concept of taste is a completely subjective matter - people who like the same things as you will have "good taste" to you. and since I'm not some fine connoisseur of anime and generally don't mix well with those who go around labeling others to have "shit taste" just because they like mainstream popular stuff (as mentioned by OP), I find those people to be shit and hence shit have shit taste.

But what you're saying is contradictory. Shit taste either exists or it does not. If it doesn't, it doesn't for anyone. By making the claim "Shit taste doesn't exist and those who think it does have shit taste." you're acknowledging that it does exist, effectively undermining your own premise. What's more, you succumb to the same thing you criticise the elitists for, by attacking their"taste" as opposed to their character.

there is no contradiction, I think you just misunderstood my point so I'll rephrase - there is no objectively shit taste in anime, because taste is subjective. of course shit taste exists, it just means different things for everyone.

...huh? I have no idea how you came up with that claim I supposedly made because even from the very first post, it was always first about them being shit. if you read my last sentence again, I'm criticizing them for their poor character in the first place (the harassment aspect), before associating anything else with them as shit as well.
Mar 10, 2020 9:18 AM

Feb 2015
shit taste is subjective but everything is just your opinion in the end. i wouldn't consider anyone's taste shit, but you can definitely see a difference in what you consider "great" in anime as you watch more and more. just like with everything, the more you delve into the topic you discover more things that might appeal to you and constantly surprise you. someone who has only watched the "the big 3" doesn't have shit taste, they just have a small pool of options to choose from when talking about their favorite anime. same with someone who sticks to a specfic genre.

long story short, no. there's no such thing as shit taste, everyone just has different preferences and opinions.

unless you're being an asshole to others about the anime they enjoy. that's shit taste :-)
Mar 10, 2020 9:19 AM

Oct 2010
IpreferEcchi said:
You have shit taste if you unironically like yanderes.

It's not like... I like yanderes or anything... baka mal. I don't dislike Gasai Yuno
Mar 10, 2020 9:20 AM

May 2009
Shit taste is a shitty meme, basically.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 10, 2020 9:23 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
It'd be sad if it wasn't because in that case the posts from half the people comenting on my profile would be meaningless.
RoevhaalMar 10, 2020 9:44 AM
Mar 10, 2020 9:41 AM

Oct 2015
tinyfin said:

to me there's no such thing as shit taste in anime

tinyfin said:

I find those people to be shit and hence shit have shit taste.

Look it's fine if you wanna change your wordings but do acknowledge that this is what you said before. And only now you're adding that subjectively part.

Your first post was flawed in that you transitioned from someone's character to the type of works they enjoy without justifying why.

Adolf Hitler liked Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, does that mean liking The Ninth means you have shitty taste?
Mar 10, 2020 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
If your taste constantly gravitates towards lowbrow stuff, like mine does, then yeah. You have shit taste.
Mar 10, 2020 9:57 AM
Aug 2018
FMmatron said:
If I would see someone with

Accel World
Guilty Crown
Owari no Seraph
Daganronpa
Akame ga Kill
Deadman Wonderland
Charlotte
Zankyou no Terror
Goblin Slayer
Slime

in his favs despite having seen actually good anime. And if that person would also rave about the superiority of his favorites, then yeah, shit taste exists.

I actually quite liked Charlotte, Akame Ga Kill and Danganronpa when I saw them. Technically, they have obvious flaws but for someone who had not seen anything besides shounen at that time, it was pretty refreshing to have the villain finishing off protagonists
Mar 10, 2020 10:03 AM

Jul 2014
Your taste's only shit if you have absolutely no ability to discern things you enjoy from things you don't. Having no taste = having shit taste.
Take care of yourself

Mar 10, 2020 10:09 AM

Aug 2018
Orhunaa said:
tinyfin said:

to me there's no such thing as shit taste in anime

tinyfin said:

I find those people to be shit and hence shit have shit taste.

Look it's fine if you wanna change your wordings but do acknowledge that this is what you said before. And only now you're adding that subjectively part.

Your first post was flawed in that you transitioned from someone's character to the type of works they enjoy without justifying why.

Adolf Hitler liked Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, does that mean liking The Ninth means you have shitty taste?

wow, I didn't know every forum post needed to be essay-style with proper elaboration and evidence for every single point I want to make. in that case, certainly my first post was very much academically flawed by being only a single sentence. though I'm pretty sure by now I've given enough substantiation in all the previous replies when you kept questioning it so...? your point is?

anyway, I do acknowledge what I said before because my stance has never changed. also when you quote like that (the first one) and conveniently eliminate the second half, that's just taking things out of context especially the most important part where I talk about the lack of objectivity in determining taste.
Mar 10, 2020 10:30 AM

Oct 2015
tinyfin said:
Orhunaa said:

wow, I didn't know every forum post needed to be essay-style with proper elaboration and evidence for every single point I want to make. in that case, certainly my first post was very much academically flawed by being only a single sentence.

though I'm pretty sure by now I've given enough substantiation in all the previous replies when you kept questioning it so...? your point is?

No one expects academic writing, does mine look like one? But this is a discussion thread, what sounds wrong to me, I'll point out.

You have not, I still have no idea how being a person of poor character entails anything about taste, be it good or bad. Many counter examples come to mind.
Mar 10, 2020 10:30 AM

Aug 2018
I don't know if you are reading my replay.
If you do then...

You can't actually ask this question to the community itself. :D

Concept of tastes:
More than 95% people of the world don'even) know that tastes are solely based on the characterization of a person. Tastes defines how a person differentiate between good and evil.

Blaming others:
I only blame other people if they don't have sense of humanity in them and in their tastes (ofcourse in their show watching not in the taste of their tongue XD).

By the way perhaps you might be thinking that I am talking about some difficult crazy stuff. So take your time that's not it... If you want explanation then, ask me anytime. :)
H_LightstoneMar 10, 2020 10:58 PM

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Mar 10, 2020 10:55 AM

May 2016
Yes. If you like school days your opinion is void. I believe all the 10s are just ntr trolls out there to piss people off
Mar 10, 2020 11:01 AM

Aug 2018
Orhunaa said:
tinyfin said:

wow, I didn't know every forum post needed to be essay-style with proper elaboration and evidence for every single point I want to make. in that case, certainly my first post was very much academically flawed by being only a single sentence.

though I'm pretty sure by now I've given enough substantiation in all the previous replies when you kept questioning it so...? your point is?

No one expects academic writing, does mine look like one? But this is a discussion thread, what sounds wrong to me, I'll point out.

You have not, I still have no idea how being a person of poor character entails anything about taste, be it good or bad. Many counter examples come to mind.

what do you do when you disapprove of people because of the way they act? you label them in your mind with probably not-so-nice things, e.g. "shit"
why does poor character entails shit taste? because the original topic was about (1) people with poor character (2) tastes
hence, with relevance to this thread: people I strongly disapprove of for attacking others' tastes = shit people, with shit taste.

basically, this is more of a casual association rather than actual judgement of their tastes (e.g. going deeper into assessing the specific anime on how "good" it "actually" is). "tastes" could have been anything else.
Mar 10, 2020 11:14 AM

Sep 2018
There is objectivity in anime, but that has nothing to do with taste. Everyone can like every show and have fun watching them. That does not make said show good its just that you like one show that has objective flaws.

Enjoying a show does not make it good.
Mar 10, 2020 11:16 AM

Nov 2016
GodUsopp33 said:
FMmatron said:
If I would see someone with

Accel World
Guilty Crown
Owari no Seraph
Daganronpa
Akame ga Kill
Deadman Wonderland
Charlotte
Zankyou no Terror
Goblin Slayer
Slime

in his favs despite having seen actually good anime. And if that person would also rave about the superiority of his favorites, then yeah, shit taste exists.

I actually quite liked Charlotte, Akame Ga Kill and Danganronpa when I saw them. Technically, they have obvious flaws but for someone who had not seen anything besides shounen at that time, it was pretty refreshing to have the villain finishing off protagonists

Nothing wrong with that and enjoying/liking them doesn't necessarily mean having shit taste, see Pullman's post.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 10, 2020 11:20 AM

Aug 2018
If you rated Shield Hero or Overlord significantly higher than Re:Zero then I'm probably gonna assume you have shit taste.
Mar 10, 2020 11:53 AM

Oct 2017
Yes.That's about it.Lemmy just type some more words.
Mar 10, 2020 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
Faith_No_More said:
Yes.That's about it.Lemmy just type some more words.
Your username reminded me to go listen to Midlife Crisis which I just did after years. You pass my taste test good sir.
Mar 10, 2020 12:07 PM

Feb 2020
more or less, but it's just subjective so it doesn't matter.

Mar 10, 2020 12:10 PM

Jun 2019
No. And most of the replies I'm seeing with a 'yes' answer have some weird argumentation about why shit taste is real, because of some bad encounters they've had or whatever.

Just because you disagree with them or they're annoying people doesn't mean their taste is bad. It's a subjective term by definition. It literally can't be bad.

Mar 10, 2020 12:14 PM

Aug 2018
Nah, it depends on your tastes. They are who said this to you unnecessary people.
Mar 10, 2020 12:20 PM

Oct 2019
I'm generally the one with shit taste so I can't exactly have a point on the matter.
Mar 10, 2020 12:22 PM

Nov 2018
Absolutely Not...Everybody has their own unique opinion. Saying to someone that he/she has shit taste is just plain rude. Almost everyone seems to hate Sao but i personally love Sao. It has a special place in my heart and that Doesn't make my taste in anime shit. It's just that they want to showoff that he/she are more superior in one way or another.
TheNamelessGuyMar 10, 2020 12:26 PM
Mar 10, 2020 12:26 PM
Oct 2018
To an extent which i'll gladly say however i wont be a douche about to everyone else just my opinion
Mar 10, 2020 12:27 PM

Oct 2012
Yes, but not exactly. Taste is subjective and there's no one authority, so no there is no "objectively" shit taste. However, when people tend to accuse people of having shit taste, they are unknowingly misframing the problem. It's a thinking issue, not taste. And in thinking, although there is still no reference to ground the appreciation of artistic media, there is internal reference. In other words, if someone expresses two ideas that contradict each other, then those expressions are nonsense. We don't know whether he believes in the first idea or the second idea, or both, due to some psychological hijinx of cognitive dissonance and compartmentalization. In all cases, that person loses credibility.

So it isn't that his taste is bad, but that the expressions of his taste doesn't make sense.

Sometimes, this is generalized to other fans of a work by association. If you meet 8 people that can't make sense of their own taste of a particular show, then maybe the 9th can't either. It's a heuristic so it's not always right.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 10, 2020 2:26 PM

Sep 2018
SadisticSougo said:
Mullerio said:
There is objectivity in anime, but that has nothing to do with taste. Everyone can like every show and have fun watching them. That does not make said show good its just that you like one show that has objective flaws.

Enjoying a show does not make it good.
No there isn’t. Where is this objectively good/bad coming from? Who decided “this is good anime and this is bad anime?.

I never said that there is a objectively good anime. I said that "there is objectivity in anime" not that there is A objectively good anime. Its just some aspects like plot holes, worldbuilding things, (maybe even some aspect of characterization) or realism in their own world can be judged objectively.

Lets take for example if in a fantasy show it is stated that a magical power can make you fly for 5 min and then the main character flies for hours, without anyone saying anything about it. Its a fact that its stated it shouldnt be possible and facts are objective.

No one decides what is objectively good, its about damn faccs.
Mar 10, 2020 2:44 PM
Jul 2018
All they say is "I'm a boring person, who needs to polish my ego with anime series" if they unironally think there is something like shit taste. Nothing interesting to see here.
Mar 10, 2020 3:12 PM
Jul 2018
Depends on how you define it. I and many others will argue that there are objectively bad series out there; people who defend them poorly can be seen as having shit taste. But there's nothing wrong with enjoying trashy shows. People like what they like and there isn't an argument on earth that can change that. I get emotionally invested in some material I know is poorly made, so begrudging others for that would be hypocritical.
Mar 10, 2020 3:26 PM

Jul 2019
Nope, the word "taste" or "shit taste" shouldn't be a thing
Mar 10, 2020 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
Luchse said:
There's only my taste. Everything else holds no relevance.

You would put what I was going to, but with less spice.
Mar 10, 2020 4:03 PM
Sep 2014
Not at all.
You like what you like.
Everyone's opinion is different.
Mar 10, 2020 7:44 PM

Sep 2019
Eh, not really. I'm not one of those weebs who say "shit taste" about everyone's lists bc it's their opinion and they should watch what they wanna watch.
Mar 11, 2020 2:26 AM

Jun 2015
In a nutshell: Everyone's taste is bad except yourself and others whom feel similarly to you.

Doesn't matter how well-versed they are in the medium. They'll stick to their guns. Unless you're one of those hyper "self-aware" people who say their taste is shit for comedic value, or something.

In reality: The only correct taste to have is a wide one. Have an open mindset and you'll be able to talk to all kinds of people about anything. Stop being a bitch.

💖 𝐼'𝓂 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃❣ 💖

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ 💝 𝒯𝓌𝒾𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 💝 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝒯𝓊𝒷𝑒 💝 ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆
💝 𝑀𝓎𝐹𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒞𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 💝
Mar 11, 2020 3:06 AM

Aug 2018
If you're saying it as a joke its all good and fun, but honestly if you're actually looking down on someone for their taste and preferences you gotta reconsider your life choices

Just don't be a damn dick about the entertainment someone likes, and if you are then don't be surprised if people get annoyed by your company
Mar 11, 2020 3:10 AM

May 2018
Come on, "shit taste" is an insult, somebody is trying to trigger you. A person who is concerned or has some issues with your taste (which is weird on its own) will not go in such brutal way.

And I guess some people should put more effort/research for knowing better their own tastes and not blindly follow trends or "influencers"...but this is hardly important or worth insulting for.
Mar 11, 2020 3:30 AM

Oct 2013
Yes, the top rated anime on MAL prove this is a big issue.

And as soon as something outside the normiesphere dares to threaten those sacred cows it gets downvoted (and even boicoted by the MAL staff).
Mar 11, 2020 3:57 AM

Sep 2019
*Leans in*

You're asking some real dangerous questions.
Those with a scat fetish are probably nefariously doing a Mr. Burns pose... or are just feeling hungry.

Bad joke aside. To a person, "shit taste" is just whatever is just what they don't like; genre or specific fiction... and of course, this especially including biases. For me, I don't like harem... as in I really don't like it. Would this make me think "man, those guys have some real shit taste"? Depending on my mood. I try to keep a healthy mindset and just think that's my preferences/biases talking.

We could gain a better understanding with a psychologist talking about this topic, since some things just strike our nerves.
Especially about those fuckin' scat fetishists.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Mar 11, 2020 4:01 AM
Apr 2016
alshu said:
Come on, "shit taste" is an insult, somebody is trying to trigger you. A person who is concerned or has some issues with your taste (which is weird on its own) will not go in such brutal way.

And I guess some people should put more effort/research for knowing better their own tastes and not blindly follow trends or "influencers"...but this is hardly important or worth insulting for.

I say this is called a weakness of the will and lack of individuality... which needs to be clearly labeled as a negative.
Re:formed
Mar 11, 2020 4:59 AM

May 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:

I say this is called a weakness of the will and lack of individuality... which needs to be clearly labeled as a negative.

If you go "shit taste" on those, nobody will pay attention to your real arguments...if any.
Mar 11, 2020 5:12 AM

Jan 2020
Everybody's taste is different. Who are we to judge others ?
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Mar 11, 2020 6:02 AM
Apr 2016
AnimeSuckABit said:
Everybody's taste is different. Who are we to judge others ?

The "others" who inhabit and propagate the shared reality. Without "others" there would be neither "tastes" nor Japanese animation. Unless you live in a void, you will be open to an evaluation by other organisms.
Re:formed
Mar 11, 2020 6:15 AM

Jan 2019
Yes there is... One of my friends keeps on encouraging me to watch shimoneta and is it wrong to pick up girls in dungeon, saying its super good, while he doesnt know a thing about madoka magica and calls it a "girly magical girl" show without even watching it
Mar 11, 2020 6:18 AM

Aug 2018
If I tell someone they have shit taste it's only because I want to encourage them to remove the incentive of studios to produce multiple seasons of mediocre crap like Shield Hero/Overlord etc
Mar 11, 2020 9:54 AM

Jan 2019
tinyfin said:
you have shit taste if you're being a piece of shit to everyone else for their tastes :)

Couldn't phrase it any better. Well said.
Mar 11, 2020 9:59 AM

Oct 2012
The real shit taste was inside our hearts this whole time op, u just gotta believe
Mar 11, 2020 10:37 AM

May 2018
I mean it exists, but it's not something you can put in a category. If I say that someone has a shit taste, how is my taste any better according to others? My taste in anime is as shit as anyone else's.
Mar 11, 2020 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
it can be funny if it's just used as banter
Mar 11, 2020 10:57 AM
Jul 2018
That doesn't exist, everyone has different tastes in anime, what you consider as bad could be seen as a masterpiece to others. I can't believe people still can't grasp a simple concept. What i don't understand is those people who act like their taste in anime is so superior and drag people who like certain shows. Like what the hell lol. It's literally subjective, don't expect everyone to like and hate the same shows as you.
Mar 11, 2020 11:10 AM
Jul 2018
theres no incorrect or correct way to use the "you have shit taste" its like calling someone pretty or ugly. everyones taste is good to them and people who say they have shit taste just dont want to get attacked for what they like(aka me please dont attack my faves im already offended). except sword art online sux if anyone likes it ur taste is shit
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 minutes ago

0 by Absurdo_N »»
4 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 57 minutes ago

4 by WatchTillTandava »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

19 by velvetnyan »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

194 by KeyiOs »»
14 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 8 hours ago

14 by 024 »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.