Forum Settings
Forums

How difficult is it to get a Driver's license in your own country?

New
Feb 27, 2020 10:08 AM
Jan 2020
I live in Croatia and it's really difficult to get one, the amount you have to pay is really high and the Driver's License Test has three stages you have to pass to gain one.

Those being, basic driver knowledge (signs, tracks and everything else road/traffic related)
-After taking several classes you do an exam where you have to get over 90% of the answers correctly, including having 100% on the given intersection questions. Failing one intersection question but having a passing score means you have to do it all over again. Once you pass the Basic Exam, you go on to First Aid.

First Aid, basic medical skills, like the basic exam you go to several classes and then have to wait for the test.
-The test includes choosing 3 random questions, and having to guess those right to pass. The thing is there is about 60 or more questions and you have to know all of them or you won't pass, since you don't know what questions you will get it is a bit harder than the Basic Exam. After you pass First Aid you go onto the actual Driving Test.

Depending on the order, the Driving Practice can take place before or after First Aid, I got the Before one. It usually goes on for 30 or so days, 1-2 hour each (depends).

When you get all of the days done, you do your Driver's Test/Road Test. This is the last road block before gaining the Driver's License, you must not make any mistake and if you do, you fail. The Test lasts 30 minutes. Of course I myself haven't gotten to the Actual Driving Test, but am close to it.

So how hard or easy is it to get a driver's license in your own country?
MisterLokiFeb 28, 2020 1:29 AM
Daft Punk is love, Daft Punk is life

Feb 27, 2020 10:13 AM

Aug 2014
Wow, I've never heard of a first aid / medical test to get a driver's license. It's fairly easy to get one in the USA.
Feb 27, 2020 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
in my country it's easier to just buy it
Feb 27, 2020 10:29 AM

May 2018
@korishi LOL

Pretty simple in USA. Probably the reason why you have too many bozos driving here...
Feb 27, 2020 12:24 PM

May 2018
In my country it is very hard. First reason: the price. Imagine that you live in USA earning 1000 dollars per mouth (minimum wage) and the drivers license costs 3000 dollars, yeah, that is How much It costs in my country.

There are also 30 classes to attend (obligatory), a written exam and the road exam. The road exam is the hardest, simply because any mistake you do and you're out (to take another exam is 250). It is definitely the worst country to get a drivers license, mostly because the government use It as a way to steal money from people, meanwhile in USA It costs less than 100 dollars to get one.
Feb 27, 2020 12:32 PM

Mar 2008
Considering how many bad drivers there are in the US it's not difficult. Definitely easier than Croatia and from what I heard easier than the UK since they have a relatively large fine you have to pay but not as high as what it is in loser_alone's country. Probably more difficult in US than some developing countries that don't have many road rules.
Feb 27, 2020 2:09 PM

Oct 2017
Well, it depends if you want to limit yourself to driving automatic cars you're getting it easy, now if you want to drive stick it's more difficult. Since you have these options I should say it's easy, as post #6 have clarified. Put in mind in the U.S requirements may vary from state to state, it may be easier to get a license in Mississipi than let us say California or New York.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Feb 27, 2020 2:47 PM

Mar 2018
A five year old could get a drivers license in the US
Feb 27, 2020 2:55 PM

Nov 2019
Another American here to say it's way too easy even in strict states like my neck of the woods. Note that having passed a driving exam once means nothing, you can easily be a terrible driver anyways. AFAIK no US state requires continuing examination, and the exam itself regardless of state is notoriously easy; I think private driving schools have more robust examinations than the actual DMV does. Even CDL isn't much harder and the main thing is passing the medical exam.

I've heard everything from the state inspector having you just drive to get him a coffee and back to 40 point exams, it all falls down to the inspector themself because most of the paper work is apparently only pass/fail to gain the license in the gist of things. I wish it was more difficult myself, and with routine reexaminations upon renewal. That alone would increase the average level of driving skill and road safety dramatically.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Feb 27, 2020 5:45 PM

Oct 2019
1. apply for learners permit
2. do over 100 hours of supervised driving
3. once done your 100 hours and have had your learners permit for over 12 months, you are allowed to book for a driving test
4. if passed, you get a "level 1" provisional license. This means you aren't allowed alcohol in your system at all when driving, and you can only have a certain amount of passengers.
5. if 12 months have passed you are allowed to apply for a "level 2" provisional licence which allows the things I previously said.
Feb 27, 2020 7:01 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
It isn't. As long as you don't drive like Spongebob or something you can get one pretty easily.
Feb 27, 2020 7:21 PM

Aug 2009
Any moron in American can get a license.

Feb 28, 2020 12:25 AM

Jun 2016
Greece: Written exam with 30 very easy multiple choice questions and a practical exam that due to corruption may only involve a short trip around a square and parking.

Edit: by corruption I mean bribing the examiner who is usually the instructor's friend
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 28, 2020 12:45 AM

Sep 2018
Very hard in the UK, written test and touch any kerb or don't look in the mirror every 30 seconds and it's an instant fail, even pro rally or F1 drivers have failed on their first attempt.

The US test is on a par with India, where one person drives 100m and passes, so do the 3 people sitting in the back seat. They aren't allowed to swap for a Euro one. That's why their road death rate is so high despite having wide open roads.
Feb 28, 2020 2:12 AM

Sep 2011
In South Africa, the driver who is being tested is asked to drive to KFC and buy lunch for the person who is observing you. If you don't have money to buy them food, then they fail you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ oh but if you do then you get an instant pass lol
Feb 28, 2020 2:28 AM

May 2015
In my country it is a expensive and difficult

You have two types of classes:
First we learn everything about car and traffic rules and things like that, so we have a 30-question exam that you can only fail 3. If you fail this exam, you will have to pay a good price for redo IT (you need 28 lessons to take the exam).
Then we go to driving lessons - 32 lessons - and you can only make three mistakes on the exam and, oh boy, if you fail the exam... the price you need to pay to retake it is ridiculous

In my opinion, what is more difficult is the first exam, the way they use grammar - the exam is full of pitfalls to make you fail on purpose, so you have to be super attentive and be fluent on our language and even then they manipulate images and the questions to make you fail
No matter who much you regret or wish,
if you couldn't do something in life,
you can't do it after death, either.
- Hanako
Feb 28, 2020 2:48 AM

Jul 2011
In Italy you must first give a multiple choice test, where you can make 4 errors maximum out of 40 questions, then once passed you must give the practical test, here it is very random, you can find the examiner who passes you very easily and that bastard who will never let you go asking for the impossible, about 40-30 minutes of driving, it depends on the error you can fail the exam directly, the cost depends on many things, from the driving school and from the times you fail the tests let's say that you need at least € 1000

Feb 28, 2020 3:03 AM

Apr 2011
In Lithuania it used to be rather easy. But after I got mine and few years passed, it got only harder. They added cameras and removed instructors, from some parts of the test.
Feb 28, 2020 3:38 AM

Aug 2012
Pretty easy. There's no written exam. You just train for 24 hours with an instructor and then you are legible to take the exam. The exam takes 15 minutes and as long as you don't drive like a maniac or an old lady, you'll pass.
Feb 28, 2020 3:59 AM

Jun 2019
Horribly easy and sometimes you can pay for one. I'm terrified.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2020 4:30 AM

Jul 2013
If you wanna stick to your morals and do it straight and by-the-book, you can and it's kinda hard. I barely passed the written exam. For the driving itself I was just told to take the car from the parking lot and park it back again to a different spot lol. Renewal is kinda hard too. Too many fucking people, it's hot cause no air conditioning, every seat is taken and process is slow so it would take the whole day and when you finally come to the counter to get your license you'd be given just the fucking receipt and be told to come back after two weeks cause the card printer or whatever stupid machine that makes the license itself is broken and it would take time for its repairs/replacement. After two weeks you come back only to see yourself looking like shit in your license.
Feb 28, 2020 6:29 AM

Sep 2017
I think it's relatively easy to get it here in France, at least in terms of pure skill

The tests aren't really hard and the whole system is more or less well thought

There is a "written" test when you have to choose the right decision to make in a certain situation, and you need to score at least 35 out of 40 to pass
And then there's the driving test, where you usually just go around the city and you're asked to do the usual stuff, like parking your car, etc... At a certain point, you'll also be asked to park somewhere and the examiner will ask you questions about the car

There is also the system of "conduite accompagnée"
You have to be at least 15 yo, but once you had enough hours of training, you can drive a car if there's an adult with you. You have a register where you write how many km you drove each time you take the wheel, and you have to drive a total of... 3000 km, I think, and by so when you'll get your driver license at 18, you'll only need 2 years to get your 12 driver points instead of 3
And of course, it also helps you to train before the exam. During these "conduite accompagnée" sessions, you're less stressed while driving because you're with someone you know and not your driving school instructor who judges you

It is too expansive however

If you consider you have to train/follow lessons for at least 20 hours to get a driver license, you'll have to pay at least 1 300€
People usually need ~30 hours, so the average cost for a driver license is ~1 800€ (however, driving lessons are cheaper outside of Paris, between 1 400 and 1 700€ while it's at 2 100€ in the capital)

So yeah, that's a lot.
DamuzenFeb 28, 2020 6:41 AM
Feb 28, 2020 6:32 AM

Feb 2020
It’s way too easy in the US

(You need 40 hours officially but you could just lie)

we have too many idiots on the road
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2020 6:47 AM

May 2018
In the UK you have to:
- First get a provisional license which costs from 30 to 40 pounds. The provisional driving licence gives you permission to drive on the UK roads whilst under the supervision of your driving instructor.
- Then you need to take driving lessons (usually about 35-50 hours worth) until you get the hang of it. Driving lessons are expensive but it really varies in price. I know my sister paid about 200 pounds for her lessons in total.
- Take a driving test which cost about 60 to 70 pounds and keep on taking it until you pass
- Then take a theory test which costs about 20 quid and keep on taking it until you pass
- Then you can drive

Its pretty expensive, even then you haven't bought the car, insurance or gas.
Feb 28, 2020 12:07 PM
Jan 2019
MisterLoki said:
I live in Croatia and it's really difficult to get one, the amount you have to pay is really high and the Driver's License Test has three stages you have to pass to gain one.

Those being, basic driver knowledge (signs, tracks and everything else road/traffic related)
-After taking several classes you do an exam where you have to get over 90% of the answers correctly, including having 100% on the given intersection questions. Failing one intersection question but having a passing score means you have to do it all over again. Once you pass the Basic Exam, you go on to First Aid.

First Aid, basic medical skills, like the basic exam you go to several classes and then have to wait for the test.
-The test includes choosing 3 random questions, and having to guess those right to pass. The thing is there is about 60 or more questions and you have to know all of them or you won't pass, since you don't know what questions you will get it is a bit harder than the Basic Exam. After you pass First Aid you go onto the actual Driving Test.

Depending on the order, the Driving Practice can take place before or after First Aid, I got the Before one. It usually goes on for 30 or so days, 1-2 hour each (depends).

When you get all of the days done, you do your Driver's Test/Road Test. This is the last road block before gaining the Driver's License, you must not make any mistake and if you do, you fail. The Test lasts 30 minutes. Of course I myself haven't gotten to the Actual Driving Test, but am close to it.

So how hard or easy is it to get a driver's license in your own country?
Considering how many road accidents happen in here (Croatia),I'm actually surprised you think this way. I do live on the countryside,but every half-decent person who can read and write gets a license. Price is rarely a problem and I didn't hear any of them failed. It's actually considered embarrassing if you don't have a license.
Feb 29, 2020 4:21 AM

Nov 2013
Very easy in the u.s even when different states are relatively stricter, but mine in particular was very easy. Pass a simple multiple choice test, and then after having your permit for a bit, I just had to drive around the block and not hit anything or run through a stop sign.
I even completely fucked up trying to parallel park, but the guy still passed me.

I can see you

Feb 29, 2020 10:54 AM

Jan 2009
Far from impossible in Germany, but it's also costly. So you want to avoid failing through it and rather pay for a few practical lessons too much.

You have to do a mandatory first-aid course. I did mine at my school, but other than having to go through pumping a puppet, I can't recall anything from it and just got a certificate that I did the first-aid course. So useful, woohoo

Then, there are theoretical questions with situations and general questions. If I recall correctly, you weren't allowed to have 1 question about a "right of way" question wrong and only a few of the other questions. I've passed my theoretical exam with 0 mistake points. You can learn the questions by heart and they will be the same or in a similar form in the test.

As for the practical exam: let's say that I was lucky that my examiner was in a good mood and that I also only had to park the car sideways without having to reverse or otherwise go into a parking spot, first. Because during my exam, right at the beginning, I managed to stall my engine. Then at some point, I almost drove in a street where it was residents only not like anyone would care about it in practical driving, y'know, but made a turn to the right after coming to a short halt. Apparently, my reacting

I did start with my driving lessons at 17 during my A-classes for the permit at 18, but around the time I started, there was also the option to get the license at 17 with one experienced driver sitting besides you. However, it was too late for me. In hindsight, I'm glad that I did my permit back then and didn't wait for it until after graduation
Feb 29, 2020 8:03 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Really easy to get in the US hence why there's so many awful drivers. Yet ironically as easy as it is to get, if I recall correctly more than half of all people fail their test the first time they take it because here in America incompetence is a badge of pride.

Ironically though the hardest part of getting a Driver's license here is the fucking four hour wait at the DMV for the appointment you had to schedule on a weekday during school/work hours three months in advance because our government is fucking awful at everything it does.
Feb 29, 2020 9:39 PM

May 2018
Kyotosomo said:
Really easy to get in the US hence why there's so many awful drivers. Yet ironically as easy as it is to get, if I recall correctly more than half of all people fail their test the first time they take it because here in America incompetence is a badge of pride.

Ironically though the hardest part of getting a Driver's license here is the fucking four hour wait at the DMV for the appointment you had to schedule on a weekday during school/work hours three months in advance because our government is fucking awful at everything it does.

TRUE! Anarchy is a much better option!
Feb 29, 2020 10:05 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Crawlie said:
Kyotosomo said:

TRUE! Anarchy is a much better option!

Or just privatize the DMV like a few states did which not only drastically shortened wait times, allowed for drop in appointments, and allowed for weekend sessions but also ironically caused the fees to be cheaper and employee salaries to go up a bit despite the fact it turned into a for profit business (because that's how awful government is, that even a for profit business can offer a cheaper better service than an entity not even trying to make any money).
Mar 1, 2020 4:10 PM

Aug 2009
In the US you take a written test which covers road signs, yielding, road stripes, what to do when at a intersection, and various other laws. After you pass your written you then take a driving test.You pay fees for each of those. You then can pay another fee to get your license. Many states require a social security card and birth certificate for when you get the license and if you renew your license before it expires then you don't have to show those things.
Mar 1, 2020 6:16 PM
Jan 2020
It isn't hard, it takes work and time. First you need to pay for a psychological test and a health test. Then A lot of hours of theory class at a driving school than a test about it on a computer, then a couple of hours driving with an instructor and the driving test. It's too expensive, it costs around two minimum wages to pay the driving school and a lot of bills to pay to the government along the way.
inactive
Mar 3, 2020 10:23 AM

May 2016
Extremely easy here in the US and in my state. I love my country but damn so many bad drivers in some parts of it
Mar 3, 2020 11:57 AM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
UK Age 17+.
Car is two parts theory and practical. Theory is 50 questions and then you do a hazard avoidance interactive video and click when you see a perceived hazard.
Practical is obviously driving around, I think you have to do some maneuvers like parallel parking and U-turns but otherwise its just following what the instructor says, "turn left at the junction", "go right at the roundabout" etc

Motorbike is more silly, there are loads of tests you might or have to do before you can drive any bike;
CBT-50cc 16+ years old
CBT-125cc 17+ years old
A1 11Kw 17+ years old.
A2 35Kw 19+ Years old.
A unrestricted 21 if you have held A2 for 2 years or older than 24.
Its all thanks to the stupid EU, the people that restricted vacuum cleaners in the same way.

Its nearly identical to the car test (Theory and Practical) except someone follows you on a bike rather than sitting with you and you do all the maneuvers in a private car-park before you go out on the road.

I guess it isn't hard compared with what you and others have said, you can learn with anyone who has had a licence for x amount of time with L plates on and learner insurance, I had to take the theory test 8 times because I'm a dumb shit and can't remember any of the answers but could never pass the car test (I know people who drove for months without any licence or did one or two lessons with their parents then and passed easy), ended up just sticking with my motorcycle.
PurplePantiesMar 3, 2020 12:05 PM
Mar 3, 2020 12:14 PM

Dec 2014
You just gotta pay a minimum wage and make a lot of hard useless tasks, not much.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Mar 3, 2020 8:19 PM

Feb 2020
I don't know about the entirety of the USA, but in my state it's EXTREMELY EASY to get a license. The drivers test was a bit too easy. It's so easy even an 8 year old can pass it.

More topics from this board

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

11 by LoveYourEyes »»
19 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 7 hours ago

6 by Nemo_Niemand »»
35 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

20 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 8 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.