Forum Settings
Forums

I have an idea for an English-language Visual Novel. Can anyone lead this project ?

New
Feb 23, 2020 7:28 AM

Nov 2017
Hi guys.

I want to make a Visual Novel with a Black Protagonist, with the setting set in an International School located in Japan.

The MC would be an African-American male who grew up in Japan since he was 2 yo and his whole family living there has Japanese citizenship in my fictional story version of Japan.

There will be like 4 heroines in it, which would be 2 Japanese girls, a Swedish girl raised in Japan since birth, and a Kenyan girl moving to Japan as an exchange student who speaks fluent Japanese since she learned it from small at her home country from her father's Japanese friend who lives and work there(Just adding this 4th heroine of this type so I can market my VN to people from Africa too as well as African-Americans).

The CG scenes would be numerous, including those kinds of scenes. The selling point of my VN would be these 3 elements:

1. Interracial Romance with a male teen protagonist that is not Japanese/Asian/Caucasian ( Since no VN has been made with thise element yet )

2. Skin color contrast in CG scenes would add spice, flavor and colorful appeal

3. For people tired of the standard cliche of VNs and would like to see more diversity in them

Now I really like to get started working on this VN in a team with at least 5-6 other people too, but I don't have the funds to start this VN project. I want to start a Kickstarter for this project, but I'm in a country where it's not available to do so.

If anyone wants to help me start this Kickstarter and become lead project manager for this and contribute for the first preparatory steps, please send me a PM.

I am also learning art to start my manga, but it is not of Pro level yet, so I would have to pass on character designing/CG art, but instead contribute as vice project manager and lead adviser instead and voice out my opinions and advice concerning ideas and elements of the work, as well as marketing it on Twitter. So, the other 8 positions that need to be filled are :

1. Character Artwork and CG illustrator
2. Background Art lead designer/Photographer ( He/She will give feedback to 1 on what to draw for the backgrounds and contribute to it too )
3. Music Composer
4. Public Relations Manager ( Managing PR with supporters on Kickstarter ).
5. Programming Expert ( For the visual interface of the VN and effects )
6. Voice Actress to play 2 roles ( for the 2 Japanese girl heroines )
7. Second VA to play the other 2 heroine roles
8. Scenario Writer

My position would be Mass Marketing and Lead Promoter, since I am good in Japanese so I'd be able to connect with the Japanese audience too and could get feedback if this needs a Japanese language localization or not.

I am willing to be paid the most lowest among all the staff or even not included at all, as my goal is just wanting to see a VN made with a Black Male MC, so as long as one is made, I don't mind about anything else, as the fact that one such VN exists alone would make me happy even if it's not made by a Japanese company based in Japan.

I am willing to work without getting paid by the Lead Project Manager/Director for the first month or 2, so can anyone help jumpstart this Kickstarter ? All staff members can work long-distance, but in a VN the most important elements are the programmer, character designer, scenario writer and music, so these 4 positions needs to be filled first IMHO.

The Leader for this project must be someone with a certain level of financial strength, since he would be the one to shoulder some of the initial costs, including the hiring for all of the staff involved. I want this VN to be of a high-quality level matching some mid-price VNs made in Japan, so I'd very much like it if the budget for this VN's development costs would be of a reasonable level.

EhurvaksFeb 23, 2020 9:12 AM
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Feb 23, 2020 12:39 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Good luck on your project! I can't help out cuz I already gave myself too many projects, but I guess I can at least bump this so that someone else out there may be able to see it and help you.

Ehurvaks said:
Now I really like to get started working on this VN in a team with at least 5-6 other people too, but I don't have the funds to start this VN project. I want to start a Kickstarter for this project, but I'm in a country where it's not available to do so.

Kickstarter not available in your country? Did you try a VPN?
There's also plenty of similar sites for crowdfunding, try one of these:
https://gogetfunding.com/
https://www.indiegogo.com/
https://www.gofundme.com/
Or just do a basic Google search on good crowdfunding sites for indie video game projects.
Feb 23, 2020 12:44 PM

May 2019
LETS GO Oh how i've missed your phenomenal posts. Good luck on your project hopefully it doesn't end up like that game by the cum chalice guy!!!!!
Feb 24, 2020 9:58 AM

Jul 2016
As a premise, it feels like it's got potential. Sounds like it'd be good for exploring themes of loneliness, feeling like your isolated and then learning you're not. Good luck finding people though. That's probably gonna be a lot harder than actually making it.

Kobayasan said:
hopefully it doesn't end up like that game by the cum chalice guy!!!!!

What's the story there?
ChilliePeppersFeb 24, 2020 10:02 AM
Feb 24, 2020 10:00 AM

Nov 2016
If you ever want to expand into other markets (Mostly Spanish Speaking ones) I can help you translate it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 24, 2020 10:31 AM

May 2019
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

What's the story there?
You don't know about it? 6ish years ago a guy started making a game called Yandere Simulator and it was huge and he started getting massive financial support for the game(he still does) but despite getting 5k a month the game still isn't quarter of the way done. On top of everything he is a massive cunt and a potential pedophile. So people are now making fun of him, there was this short lived meme where people would make YandereDev discord ban spedruns, in short he is a massive joke.

Feb 24, 2020 10:45 AM

Jul 2016
Kobayasan said:
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

What's the story there?
You don't know about it? 6ish years ago a guy started making a game called Yandere Simulator and it was huge and he started getting massive financial support for the game(he still does) but despite getting 5k a month the game still isn't quarter of the way done. On top of everything he is a massive cunt and a potential pedophile. So people are now making fun of him, there was this short lived meme where people would make YandereDev discord ban spedruns, in short he is a massive joke.

Oh, I see. I'd heard of Yandere Simulator, I just never knew about the guy behind it.
Feb 25, 2020 11:25 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Ehurvaks said:

I am also learning art to start my manga, but it is not of Pro level yet, so I would have to pass on character designing/CG art

Do you at least have prototype designs of the characters?
You can do what Dan Salvato did for Doki Doki Literature Club's early character design until you find someone to make more unique characters:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club!#Development_and_release
Because Salvato lacked artistic skill, he used a free online anime-creation program to create the initial character designs and applied these designs in test versions of the game. Salvato recognized that a product of such quality would not satisfy potential players, so he made a request to his friend, a translator for Sekai Project, for sketches of school uniforms and hairstyles for the characters. Salvato then handed initial visual development over to Kagefumi, who left the project very early on. After Kagefumi's departure from the project, Salvato contacted the freelance artist Satchel, who created the final character sprites, over the course of a few months. The sprites were created in several parts to give the poses more variety. The background images were originally created as three-dimensional models, and then processed by the artist VelinquenT.

Maybe find one of those anime dress-up games and take a screenshot of whenever you make a character on there that looks like a good prototype for a character design. Then give those prototypes to a character designer so that they'll have a good idea of what you want your characters to look like on a basic level.

More topics from this board

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

1 by DesuMaiden »»
3 hours ago

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

11 by DesuMaiden »»
3 hours ago

» Have you tried using lmms?

Cammell - 5 hours ago

0 by Cammell »»
5 hours ago

» Help me modify this layout

Luffie00 - Yesterday

0 by Luffie00 »»
Yesterday, 7:01 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

357 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.