New
Feb 19, 2020 4:00 AM

Sep 2018
SPOILERS FOR EPISODES 16-19
Feb 19, 2020 4:23 AM

Oct 2019
Ramy_Stereo said:

Queen match is best of 3, Meijin match is best of 5.
Feb 19, 2020 4:44 AM

May 2019
Queen is a best 2 out of 3 and mejin is best 3 out of 5, but what confuses me is the cliffhanger ending. Is Harada going to beat Suo 3-1? It seems stupid to hype up the luck of the draw if Suo is going to win and it goes on to the final match, they could've just included Suo winning and hype up the last match for the next episode.
Feb 19, 2020 4:45 AM

Sep 2018
Fionavar said:
Ramy_Stereo said:

Alright then I probably should have thought of that, though I think that's kinda...weird. So even if Suo wins this match he has to win again right?
Feb 19, 2020 4:48 AM

Sep 2018
Kobayasan said:
Queen is a best 2 out of 3 and mejin is best 3 out of 5, but what confuses me is the cliffhanger ending. Is Harada going to beat Suo 3-1? It seems stupid to hype up the luck of the draw if Suo is going to win and it goes on to the final match, they could've just included Suo winning and hype up the last match for the next episode.

I don't know what will happen, but the matches in Chihayafuru have been so consistantly unpredictanle that Suo losing this luck of the draw seems possible. So the cliffhanger makes sense in that it could end the whole match.
Feb 19, 2020 4:52 AM

Oct 2019
Ramy_Stereo said:
Fionavar said:

Alright then I probably should have thought of that, though I think that's kinda...weird. So even if Suo wins this match he has to win again right?

If Suo wins this round then yes it goes into match 5, all according to plan.
Feb 19, 2020 4:53 AM

Sep 2018
Fionavar said:
Ramy_Stereo said:

If Suo wins this round then yes it goes into match 5, all according to plan.

Ok I get it now. Thanks!
Feb 19, 2020 5:03 AM

May 2019
Ramy_Stereo said:

I don't know what will happen, but the matches in Chihayafuru have been so consistantly unpredictanle that Suo losing this luck of the draw seems possible. So the cliffhanger makes sense in that it could end the whole match.
The mejin match especially, i changed my opinion on the outcome of the match a few times over the least couple of weeks, my current one is that Harada makes an upset and wins 3-1 and retires while Suo doesn't.
Feb 19, 2020 5:15 AM

Sep 2018
Kobayasan said:
Ramy_Stereo said:

The mejin match especially, i changed my opinion on the outcome of the match a few times over the least couple of weeks, my current one is that Harada makes an upset and wins 3-1 and retires while Suo doesn't.

I think regardless of the outcome both Suo and Harada will retire afterward. Narratively it makes more sense to remove both so that Arata and Taichi can (at least potentially) compete in the finale for the Master title since it would be vacant in that case. If Suo wins he will retire. If he loses having him continue to be the endboss wouldn't make sense since he was already beat. Having Harada as the endboss would be kinda...weird. Anyway anything could happen.
Feb 20, 2020 7:57 AM

Nov 2007
For Queen title, it's race to 2, which means whoever wins 2 matches becomes the Queen.

For Meijin Title, it's race to 3, which means whoever wins 3 matches becomes the Meijin.

There can never be a tie in Karuta. Because all the matches have results. In a luck of the draw situation (one card on each side), even if the two players touch the same card that is read simultaneously, the winner is the one who had the card on his side.

Further explanation: Eisei Queen or Eisei Meijin

If a Queen or a Meijin defends their title 4 times in a row, that means wins 5 consecutive titles, they are given the title Eisei which means Eternal. But that is not the only way. If a Queen or a Meijin wins 7 titles (at least) in their whole career, they obtain the Eisei title as well.

I hope this helps.

More information: Karuta is not a sponsored sports like Chess or Go. The tournaments are run by donations obtained from the fans of the sports or local communities. There is no recognized prize money associated with it. So, one cannot earn a living through Karuta like in case of Chess or Go.

Many may not know this, but Suestsugu Yuki-sensei is working with the All Japan Karuta Association to turn Karuta into a professional sports behind the scenes using the popularity of the manga. The first such tournament has already taken place a few months back and it was relatively successful. If you'd like to know more information, look up Chihayafuru Tournament.

If this becomes a thing and bring fruitful results, it will be one of biggest achievements ever by a mangaka to influence the masses. I would say it will be as important as Captain Tsubasa (popularized football as a major sports in Japan) or Koe no Katachi (raised incredible awareness and donations/fundings for hearing and speech impaired people in Japan).
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 20, 2020 12:28 PM
Apr 2018
shanimebib said:
For Queen title, it's race to 2, which means whoever wins 2 matches becomes the Queen.

For Meijin Title, it's race to 3, which means whoever wins 3 matches becomes the Meijin.

There can never be a tie in Karuta. Because all the matches have results. In a luck of the draw situation (one card on each side), even if the two players touch the same card that is read simultaneously, the winner is the one who had the card on his side.

Further explanation: Eisei Queen or Eisei Meijin

If a Queen or a Meijin defends their title 4 times in a row, that means wins 5 consecutive titles, they are given the title Eisei which means Eternal. But that is not the only way. If a Queen or a Meijin wins 7 titles (at least) in their whole career, they obtain the Eisei title as well.

I hope this helps.

More information: Karuta is not a sponsored sports like Chess or Go. The tournaments are run by donations obtained from the fans of the sports or local communities. There is no recognized prize money associated with it. So, one cannot earn a living through Karuta like in case of Chess or Go.

Many may not know this, but Suestsugu Yuki-sensei is working with the All Japan Karuta Association to turn Karuta into a professional sports behind the scenes using the popularity of the manga. The first such tournament has already taken place a few months back and it was relatively successful. If you'd like to know more information, look up Chihayafuru Tournament.

If this becomes a thing and bring fruitful results, it will be one of biggest achievements ever by a mangaka to influence the masses. I would say it will be as important as Captain Tsubasa (popularized football as a major sports in Japan) or Koe no Katachi (raised incredible awareness and donations/fundings for hearing and speech impaired people in Japan).

I respect your utmost knowledge that you shine upon us. :p
May 25, 2020 5:37 AM

Jul 2012
shanimebib said:
Incredible. Thanks for the info! :o

More topics from this board

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

19 by NiQ1 »»
Mar 21, 2:01 AM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Jan 14, 2020

126 by realfifi »»
Dec 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2019

105 by Katsu-kun »»
Aug 15, 2023 4:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.