Forum Settings
Forums

I've been wondering what the top MAL Anime would look like without sequels...

New
Feb 16, 2020 4:53 PM
Nov 2019
And the drastic change in TV series scoring is evident over the years.

I made a video below lining every TV series up (with 100,000 hits at least) and I was quite shocked about 1. How it seems like many of the shows there REALLY shouldn't be there. Not to offend too many people, but I can't believe some series in the bottom half of the list are below some shows in the top fifteen. We should really change how we score shows, or at least, you know, hopefully this can be evidence to not take the scores or top 100 MAL seriously
THIS LIST WAS UPDATED TO FEBRUARY 13th 2020

My video list is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uej9oiSYbI
ykaminoFeb 17, 2020 9:55 AM
Feb 16, 2020 5:02 PM

Apr 2010
No I completely agree. I love Gintama and Hajime no Ippo but they really shouldn't be populating the top 50 with their many sequels a long with Haikyu and others.
Feb 16, 2020 5:20 PM

Mar 2017
The mods have mentioned there has been discussion about creating a combined page for each anime, one that incorporates all seasons, and which may include an aggregate rating. No idea how likely that is to materialize, but I agree it would be most interesting to see the top 50 of such a list.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Feb 16, 2020 6:44 PM

Aug 2018
I'm guessing you made the video before they at least had finished correcting all the scores because there are some that off in the rankings now. Most notably Tatami Galaxy is actually in the top 20 pushing out Ping Pong.

Edit: you also used the wrong OP for Berserk.
BebopHakushoFeb 16, 2020 6:48 PM
Feb 16, 2020 6:53 PM

May 2018
I hope we also have top rated base on franchise rather than breaking up by seasons only.
Feb 16, 2020 6:56 PM

Jun 2015
MAL Rankings are even more irrelevant than the obnoxious Scoring system that they've implemented. It's a mess and it's been that way for over a decade. Truly a testament to the laziness of this Site's developers.
Read Toriko!
Feb 16, 2020 7:29 PM

Oct 2013
mwalimu said:
The mods have mentioned there has been discussion about creating a combined page for each anime, one that incorporates all seasons, and which may include an aggregate rating. No idea how likely that is to materialize, but I agree it would be most interesting to see the top 50 of such a list.

@tdlr

I suggest having a sequel category separate from the stand alone series.

Also I have brought up this point many times, what where would full metal alchemist brotherhood be if it were also split into seasons? We all can agree that season 1 lets say the first 25 episodes of fmab definitely would not be anywhere close to #1 but it being a full package all at once gives it an advantage over series that have multiple seasons.

This is not to question fmab quality as there are completed series that are not rated as highly, but there are other series if they had gotten a complete adaptation which is also great could also give fmab a run for its money.

I think the sequel balance out everything tbh. I believe if Gintama for example was just one full package it probably would have challenge or beat fmab for example.

keragammingFeb 16, 2020 7:34 PM
Feb 16, 2020 8:04 PM

Aug 2017
To be honest, I think there are other things they could upgrade on this site that are more important than this. I don't really even care about the Top 50 list anyway, because I've seen almost all of it, and "Top" lists are always subjective anyway. To new fans to anime, it might matter as a guide to help them get started with the best anime, but I don't really see how it's even important beyond that. They could clean it up, or not. It would just be animes you've already seen in different positions on a list that doesn't really mean much. At least that's how I feel about it. I know there are other fans who get super attached and care about where their favorite anime is placed, but it's not that big a deal, really.

Work on this forum interface first, give us a better menu when sorting through our watched lists (Something similar to whats on Mobile) and give us more options for customizations on our profiles. I'd rather that over a change in the list.
Feb 16, 2020 8:35 PM

Feb 2019
Another thread complaining about gintama populating the top 50.
Feb 17, 2020 12:18 AM

Jun 2012
The seasonal Anime charts have all sorts of filters for negation. Why is it so difficult to simply implement a similar "include sequels" toggle for the Top Anime List?

Too much goes into the production of Anime to qualify every iteration of a series under only one, perish the thought of burying entire franchises that way.
Feb 17, 2020 1:03 AM
Feb 2015
I also have been wondering about this. I see so many series in there that imo don't belong there due it being sequels. The list this way isn't accurate.
Feb 17, 2020 8:40 AM

Jan 2019
I think we shouldn't do away with the current list, but there should be another tab on the top page so that we can see just the first seasons, or maybe an overall series average.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Feb 17, 2020 8:48 AM

Sep 2017
Your video is well done and interesting, however it disturbs me a little that you only included the first season of some anime, decreasing their note (3-gatsu no Lion at only 8.45 while the second season is at 9+, and Natsume Yuujinchou isn't even in your list because the first season is at 8.36, while all the other ones are over 8.59)

Mashing up all the seasons scores would have been better instead of just picking first season's score
Feb 17, 2020 8:56 AM

Feb 2017
Discussing which shows should be in which position is pointless. Tell 100 people to make top 50 and you will get 100 different top 50 lists. If you ask me I'd get rid of most shows from the current top 50 as well as your top 50 and put stuff like Fafner and Turn A Gundam which are in 2000s. Top shows are simply what overall userbase on this site thinks about the show and you don't have to agree.

And I still don't understand why are people so mad about multiple Gintamas or any other show being at the top? Just ignore it and scroll down. People don't complain about multiple Fafner seasons taking top 2600 something places for example. People who watched Gintama or any other show with multiple entries in the top 50, when everything is summed, think they deserve those scores.

Also I have no idea how franchise grouping would even work? Take franchise like Mobile Suit Gundam for example with billion specials, recaps, shorts, sequels, spin-offs et cetera. Would it really be fair to group original Mobile Suit Gundam with for example Unicorn which was made almost 40 years after by almost completely different people. Or merge Mobile Suit Gundam with some of its many AUs or specials that tend to have lower scores. Franchise grouping, if implemented, would do more harm than good imo, especially to bigger franchises like Gundam, Naruto, One Piece, Macross, Ghost in the Shell etc.

TsarkoFeb 17, 2020 8:59 AM
Feb 17, 2020 8:59 AM

May 2018
Honestly who even gives a shit about the top list of anime at this point? Its never been good or relevant and no matter what you do or change about the list you wont ever be able to make everyone happy, someone will always have something to complain about.
SeijatachiiiiFeb 17, 2020 10:07 AM
Feb 17, 2020 8:59 AM

Jun 2019
That'd be way better. Having different pages for each season is so damn meaningless, especially since these days, every show is seasonal instead of having a weekly episode.

Feb 17, 2020 9:08 AM
Feb 2015
There is this guy on reddit who aggregates scores for all seasons and movies and releases a consolidated top 100 list every year.

Here is the one for 2019: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ebvk35/mal_consolidated_top_100_2019/
Feb 17, 2020 9:55 AM
Nov 2019
Themousen said:
Your video is well done and interesting, however it disturbs me a little that you only included the first season of some anime, decreasing their note (3-gatsu no Lion at only 8.45 while the second season is at 9+, and Natsume Yuujinchou isn't even in your list because the first season is at 8.36, while all the other ones are over 8.59)

Mashing up all the seasons scores would have been better instead of just picking first season's score

I just got the list straight up from top 100 TV series on MAL and excluded all sequels. Do I wish MAL had a single category for a series instead of several different individual series of sequels? Yes I do. That would help 3-gatsu. Natsume I think didn't pass the benchmark
Feb 17, 2020 10:02 AM
Nov 2019
Tsarko said:
Discussing which shows should be in which position is pointless. Tell 100 people to make top 50 and you will get 100 different top 50 lists. If you ask me I'd get rid of most shows from the current top 50 as well as your top 50 and put stuff like Fafner and Turn A Gundam which are in 2000s. Top shows are simply what overall userbase on this site thinks about the show and you don't have to agree.

And I still don't understand why are people so mad about multiple Gintamas or any other show being at the top? Just ignore it and scroll down. People don't complain about multiple Fafner seasons taking top 2600 something places for example. People who watched Gintama or any other show with multiple entries in the top 50, when everything is summed, think they deserve those scores.

Also I have no idea how franchise grouping would even work? Take franchise like Mobile Suit Gundam for example with billion specials, recaps, shorts, sequels, spin-offs et cetera. Would it really be fair to group original Mobile Suit Gundam with for example Unicorn which was made almost 40 years after by almost completely different people. Or merge Mobile Suit Gundam with some of its many AUs or specials that tend to have lower scores. Franchise grouping, if implemented, would do more harm than good imo, especially to bigger franchises like Gundam, Naruto, One Piece, Macross, Ghost in the Shell etc.

It's just clutter having so many sequels on the top. I don't think franchise grouping should be a thing but direct sequels like Code Geass would be better than grouping you know, every Yugioh series into one
Feb 17, 2020 10:06 AM

May 2019
It would be great if MAL added a "franchise" feature like malgraph, and use the mean score of a franchise as your score for the series, for example my mean score for the Gintama series is 7,38 so my score for Gintama would be 7, or no this is pretty stupid and complicated, just use all the scores and add them to one series.
Feb 17, 2020 10:32 AM

Feb 2010
Yeah because it is completely irrelevant if a second season is fantastic and stands out as being superb - as long as the first season was slightly less good it should not show up in the top anime at all.

Great logic.

I don't understand what's so hard to understand about certain seasons of a franchise being better (in some cases MUCH better) than other/previous seasons and therefore being scored highly and ranking highly in the toplist. It's completely arbitrary to only care about the reception/score of the first season and ignore any other outstanding parts of that franchise just because they came afterwards.

If anything it's unfortunate that not every entry is divided into multiple seasons because for example a huge show like One Piece would probably have a big difference in how the individual arcs/seasons would be scored, reflecting their difference in quality and popularity among the viewers. With just one combined score for 900+ episodes the score and toplist provide a lot less actual information about the reception of the show and its individual parts.

Is it really better to have less and more vague information by averaging out every franchise, ignoring difference in quality between the individual seasons, than to have to do a bit of extra scrolling past various entries belonging to the same franchise to reach certain shows?

And that's not even talking about how problematic it would be for many other reasons. For example what even counts as a franchise that should be summarized into one entry? Do remakes by completely different studios count, which sometimes have 40 years or more between them and barely anything to do with each other? Do franchises which consists of tons of standalone entries be grouped together? Like Pokemon or Precure or Gundam? Do you count every shitty little special or commercial associated with a franchise as part of its average score to equal amounts as main entries? If not how do you weigh different types of entries? Would the Dragon Ball franchise score be mainly dominated by the scores for its countless movies because those vastly outnumber the main entries? Do more popular franchises that get a lot of recap movies and small specials get punished for their popularity by having their average score dragged down by a lot of random entries?

None of those questions have easy answers. So just from a practical point of view, to me it makes no sense to even think about grouping franchises together into one aggregate score. It would be too complicated to do fairly.

And on a somewhat related note (because I saw multiple replies like this already), I also don't understand the obsession with specific rankings. People are focusing on the wrong things when it comes to scores. Whether something is #15 or #27 (arbitrary examples) is irrelevant in the big picture. Considering the rankings go from 1-15000 or beyond, that is a minuscule difference, both shows can be seen as belonging to the same tier. Both are in the top 30, both are deemed to be the best of the best by the community. The small details like the exact ranking is basically just cosmetic information.

I find it very weird to completely disregard MAL scores and say they can't be taken seriously at all, based on minor details like that. Scores and rankings gain their relevance and usefulness from the big picture so as long as, for example, the vast majority of the top 1000 are seen as being better as the vast majority of #1001-2000 by the vast majority of people - the scores are as they should be and perfectly useful the vast majority of the time. And I specifically said 'majority' because individual exceptions will always exist based on personal preferences - but it's always stupid to completely reject the scoring system because you strongly disagree with a few shows. Imo that's just a sign of not understanding how averages and statistics work. It doesn't invalidate the scoring system/rankings at all.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 17, 2020 1:14 PM
Nov 2019
Pullman said:
Yeah because it is completely irrelevant if a second season is fantastic and stands out as being superb - as long as the first season was slightly less good it should not show up in the top anime at all.

Great logic.

I don't understand what's so hard to understand about certain seasons of a franchise being better (in some cases MUCH better) than other/previous seasons and therefore being scored highly and ranking highly in the toplist. It's completely arbitrary to only care about the reception/score of the first season and ignore any other outstanding parts of that franchise just because they came afterwards.

If anything it's unfortunate that not every entry is divided into multiple seasons because for example a huge show like One Piece would probably have a big difference in how the individual arcs/seasons would be scored, reflecting their difference in quality and popularity among the viewers. With just one combined score for 900+ episodes the score and toplist provide a lot less actual information about the reception of the show and its individual parts.

Is it really better to have less and more vague information by averaging out every franchise, ignoring difference in quality between the individual seasons, than to have to do a bit of extra scrolling past various entries belonging to the same franchise to reach certain shows?

And that's not even talking about how problematic it would be for many other reasons. For example what even counts as a franchise that should be summarized into one entry? Do remakes by completely different studios count, which sometimes have 40 years or more between them and barely anything to do with each other? Do franchises which consists of tons of standalone entries be grouped together? Like Pokemon or Precure or Gundam? Do you count every shitty little special or commercial associated with a franchise as part of its average score to equal amounts as main entries? If not how do you weigh different types of entries? Would the Dragon Ball franchise score be mainly dominated by the scores for its countless movies because those vastly outnumber the main entries? Do more popular franchises that get a lot of recap movies and small specials get punished for their popularity by having their average score dragged down by a lot of random entries?

None of those questions have easy answers. So just from a practical point of view, to me it makes no sense to even think about grouping franchises together into one aggregate score. It would be too complicated to do fairly.

And on a somewhat related note (because I saw multiple replies like this already), I also don't understand the obsession with specific rankings. People are focusing on the wrong things when it comes to scores. Whether something is #15 or #27 (arbitrary examples) is irrelevant in the big picture. Considering the rankings go from 1-15000 or beyond, that is a minuscule difference, both shows can be seen as belonging to the same tier. Both are in the top 30, both are deemed to be the best of the best by the community. The small details like the exact ranking is basically just cosmetic information.

I find it very weird to completely disregard MAL scores and say they can't be taken seriously at all, based on minor details like that. Scores and rankings gain their relevance and usefulness from the big picture so as long as, for example, the vast majority of the top 1000 are seen as being better as the vast majority of #1001-2000 by the vast majority of people - the scores are as they should be and perfectly useful the vast majority of the time. And I specifically said 'majority' because individual exceptions will always exist based on personal preferences - but it's always stupid to completely reject the scoring system because you strongly disagree with a few shows. Imo that's just a sign of not understanding how averages and statistics work. It doesn't invalidate the scoring system/rankings at all.

You can't doubt that statistically a sequel will always have a leg up over the original and thus have an overall leg up over shows that you know, are tightly finished in an enjoyable package. NO fans of series X will watch series X2, and the only people watching series X2 are series X fans. Sure, the animation may get better, the writing may get better, but why wasn't it better in its first core? Like every other series. Scoring would be much better if sequels were simply scored as a subset of the original.

I don't agree with the rankings I showed, (because you know, it's directly from MAL). My main issue with the "sequel effect" is how it really taints the purpose of a top anime list. I'm supposed to see general recommendations and you know, get the community's taste. BUT, with the system now, I see the 100 of the top animes on this website but actually only see 50 non-sequels. That's a problem. The appeal of anime over other mediums is its sheer variation, but the list as it is now does not represent that.

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

29 by Mykasan »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by TheSFHero »»
22 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
56 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 11 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
1 hour ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.