Forum Settings
Forums

Famed biologist Richard Dawkins sparks Twitter row with ‘eugenics would work for humans’ argument

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 16, 2020 1:25 PM

May 2013
Nah Dawkins isn't far off, of course in theory a selective breeding program might work. Like the Bene Gesserit in Dune.

However, what he should be careful to admit is that humans aren't livestock... it's officially the stuff of science fiction to think that anyone could have that much control over our breeding habits.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Feb 16, 2020 1:50 PM

Jan 2017
Human beings are equally fucking deplorable no matter what you do, it's honestly pretty funny that the people who try to "progress" humanity/their ideals end up becoming less than human themselves [for example the Nazis/Imperial Japanese]
Feb 16, 2020 2:46 PM

May 2016
Yeah, but where are these people going around saying "it wouldn't work"?

See, that's the kind of strawman you make when you want to ever so slightly improve the mainstream perception of an idea while concealing that fact.

And yeah, he goes on to talk about how he deplores eugenics, but still.
HyperLFeb 16, 2020 7:26 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Feb 16, 2020 3:08 PM

Jul 2007
A gun to the head works just as effectively in humans as it does other animals as well.

Of course it 'works', morals have bugger all to do with it.
Feb 16, 2020 3:47 PM

Dec 2016
Eugenics programs are pathetic in the face of genetic engineering and cybernetics.
When I pick up a city bus and throw it on your ubermensch.
Which one do you think is going to pay the most dividends in the same amount of time that a selective eugenics program takes?

SoverignFeb 16, 2020 3:57 PM
Feb 16, 2020 4:00 PM

Nov 2019
Eugenics is a poisoned term still so I dislike it almost as much as GMO. Anyways, eugenics is broader than forced systematic breeding or population culls. That's some 19th/20th century bs right there.

We're gonna have to come to terms with genetic therapy and fetal genetic engineering if we want to actually continue the upwards trajectory of the species' development. Genetic errors and "mistakes" will all become a bygone thing in another few decades time. As far as morals go, well, God didn't nearly eradicate Polio now did he?

And to get ahead of the curve a bit, no I don't really support or desire designer children myself but intellectually it isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as we preserve our biodiversity at the same time. In some future circumstance it will likely be necessary, especially if we manage to become space-faring and need to rapidly adapt to foreign environments.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Feb 16, 2020 5:15 PM

Jan 2016
God leftists are braindead, those tweets are actual aids. They all think eugenics requires killing people lol.
There is such a thing as ethical eugenics. Giving successful and attractive people government assistance to have more kids and penalize the low IQ and ugly people by making them pay more in taxes for their kids thus providing money to pay for attractive high iq people to have kids. That system pretty much sorts itself out and the following generations would be more and more improved.
Feb 16, 2020 5:24 PM

May 2013
Dhaarok said:
God leftists are braindead, those tweets are actual aids. They all think eugenics requires killing people lol.
There is such a thing as ethical eugenics. Giving successful and attractive people government assistance to have more kids and penalize the low IQ and ugly people by making them pay more in taxes for their kids thus providing money to pay for attractive high iq people to have kids. That system pretty much sorts itself out and the following generations would be more and more improved.

It's not that you have to kill people for eugenics to work, it's that letting a bunch of dudes go around fuckin ladies and not having kids really puts a wrench in the gears, so to speak.

Lol not every guy reproduces but it's almost like allowing them to live effectively ruins the possibility of a genetically superior upper glass.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Feb 16, 2020 5:36 PM

Dec 2016
Gan_water said:
Dhaarok said:

It's not that you have to kill people for eugenics to work, it's that letting a bunch of dudes go around fuckin ladies and not having kids really puts a wrench in the gears, so to speak.

Lol not every guy reproduces but it's almost like allowing them to live effectively ruins the possibility of a genetically superior upper glass.

Oscar Pistorius, a double-amputee sprinter, has been denied a shot at the Olympics... for being too fast.
The runner -- who uses carbon-fiber, prosthetic feet -- was reviewed by the International Association of Athletics Federations (or IAAF), a review which found the combination of man and machine to be too much for its purely human competitors.

https://www.engadget.com/2008/01/17/prosthetic-limbed-runner-disqualified-from-olympics/

Let them waste their efforts in futility.
Feb 16, 2020 6:04 PM

Mar 2008
Well yes and no. Dawkins seems to be a reductionist here (I don't know his full view on genetic influence though) seemingly suggesting you can control anything with genetics but genetics isn't 100% of everything in humans. There is a limit to what eugenics can do so it's a matter of what is trying to be done that determines if it will work.
Feb 16, 2020 6:08 PM

Jun 2015
He's right tho. Why would it not work?
Read Toriko!
Feb 16, 2020 7:00 PM

Oct 2012
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. He said it would work, he didn't say that it's moral, or that we should implement it. This isn't reductionist at all. If you quarantine everyone with HIV, HIV will disappear in a generation, period. If you quarantine everyone with the genes for sickle cell, there will be no more people with sickle cell, period. If you forced people who are genetically predisposed against cancer to reproduce more than people who are susceptible to it, less people will get cancer, period, regardless of any other sources of cancer.

Where's the controversy because there is none?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 16, 2020 7:26 PM

Dec 2016
katsucats said:
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. He said it would work, he didn't say that it's moral, or that we should implement it. This isn't reductionist at all. If you quarantine everyone with HIV, HIV will disappear in a generation, period. If you quarantine everyone with the genes for sickle cell, there will be no more people with sickle cell, period. If you forced people who are genetically predisposed against cancer to reproduce more than people who are susceptible to it, less people will get cancer, period, regardless of any other sources of cancer.

He isn't wrong, it would work. Just like how Tay-Sachs disease was virtually eliminated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay%E2%80%93Sachs_disease

But then again you have scientists getting arrested for using CRISPR to make babies immune to HIV.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/nov/26/worlds-first-gene-edited-babies-created-in-china-claims-scientist

He probably was knew he was shit posting tweeting on the normies.
Feb 16, 2020 7:56 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Yea, how dares he say that something will work just because it's a fact. Nonsense. Sorry kids, our fabricated morality doesn't care about your feelings or science.
Feb 16, 2020 8:11 PM

Mar 2008
katsucats said:

Eugenics isn't only about removal of disease but eliminating all traits perceived as undesirable. I don't mean physical traits, those can be altered. I mean human personality and mental health is more than just genetics.
Feb 16, 2020 8:29 PM

Nov 2008
That type of thing requires perfect leaders, but in real life there are no leaders alive who wouldn't abuse eugenics for military or racist ends for starters. Even if you removed racism from the equation, you still have other inhumane reasons it could be abused for.

Feb 16, 2020 8:38 PM

Aug 2015
Hoppy said:
That type of thing requires perfect leaders, but in real life there are no leaders alive who wouldn't abuse eugenics for military or racist ends for starters. Even if you removed racism from the equation, you still have other inhumane reasons it could be abused for.
Literally this why the fuck arent people understanding this in the thread?Also what is good trait what is bad trait changes overtimes determined by the ruling class.It will lead to a domino effect if these type of people get an inch.Are these idiots here not realizing political and class reality and consequences here?
Feb 16, 2020 8:39 PM

Oct 2012
traed said:
katsucats said:

Eugenics isn't only about removal of disease but eliminating all traits perceived as undesirable. I don't mean physical traits, those can be altered. I mean human personality and mental health is more than just genetics.
That's a no true Scotsman fallacy. It isn't about removing all traits, it can be about removing any traits. And so I can remove any single genetic trait without the need to eliminate all genetic and non-genetic traits to be qualified as eugenics. If, as you say, mental health is not genetics (although a component of it clearly is), then mental health is irrelevant to eugenics. If mental health is partially genetics, then genetics clearly work for that part.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 16, 2020 8:40 PM

Oct 2012
ultravigo said:
Hoppy said:
Literally this why the fuck arent people understanding this in the thread?Also what is good trait what is bad trait changes overtimes determined by the ruling class.It will lead to a domino effect if these type of people get an inch.Are these idiots here not realizing political and class reality and consequences here?
No, we just actually read the post.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 16, 2020 9:16 PM

Feb 2019
It would work in an utopian world.
Feb 16, 2020 9:40 PM

Mar 2008
katsucats said:
traed said:

That's a no true Scotsman fallacy. It isn't about removing all traits, it can be about removing any traits. And so I can remove any single genetic trait without the need to eliminate all genetic and non-genetic traits to be qualified as eugenics. If, as you say, mental health is not genetics (although a component of it clearly is), then mental health is irrelevant to eugenics. If mental health is partially genetics, then genetics clearly work for that part.

When I said "all" I meant any but I said "all" because if you can change any then they could change all so there isn't a huge distinction. I'm not saying one has to be for changing everything to be considered a eugenicist or that it's not eugenics if it's only changing a few, not all undesired traits. This was already implied where I said "perceived as undesirable" which suggests subjective judgment and subjective judgment is not universally agreed upon characteristics but individual preferences. I'm saying eugenics either would work or would not work depending on what is trying to be changed. I'm defining working here as total or near total removal of a characteristic rather than just a partial change. If you define working as even just a 1% change then sure it would work for any trait but I don't feel that is a good way to describe it. Again i was just highlighting not every human characteristic is entirely genetic.
Feb 16, 2020 10:50 PM

Oct 2012
traed said:
katsucats said:

When I said "all" I meant any but I said "all" because if you can change any then they could change all so there isn't a huge distinction. I'm not saying one has to be for changing everything to be considered a eugenicist or that it's not eugenics if it's only changing a few, not all undesired traits.
No offense, but this is a hilarious attempt at moving the goalpost if I've ever seen one. You said it in your previous post, in plain words, "Eugenics isn't only about removal of disease but eliminating all traits perceived as undesirable." Okay, let's assume you meant "any". But then you followed up with, "I don't mean physical traits, those can be altered. I mean human personality and mental health is more than just genetics." If you meant any here, physical traits would have satisfied and you would agree that eugenics works.

traed said:
This was already implied where I said "perceived as undesirable" which suggests subjective judgment and subjective judgment is not universally agreed upon characteristics but individual preferences. I'm saying eugenics either would work or would not work depending on what is trying to be changed.
Subjective judgment is completely irrelevant to the conversation. The post was not "what should we change", it was "it can be changed if we chose to change something".

traed said:
I'm defining working here as total or near total removal of a characteristic rather than just a partial change.
Again, if you're defining eugenics as any change, then why do you keep changing your mind? There are plenty of characteristics that can be completely eliminated because they are genetics based.

traed said:
If you define working as even just a 1% change then sure it would work for any trait but I don't feel that is a good way to describe it. Again i was just highlighting not every human characteristic is entirely genetic.
Then surely, you don't mean any change. LOL

1% and 100% is a false dichotomy. How about 99%? But you know what, I challenge that premise even. How about 100%? And the idea that eugenics fails if we don't also remove 100% of non-genetics regulated traits is a strawman. Eugenics is about regulation through genetics, not non-genetics.

Suppose cancer is 40% genetic and 60% environment. If eugenics reduces cancer by 40%, it did 100% of what it was supposed to do.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 17, 2020 12:09 AM

Mar 2008
katsucats said:
traed said:

When I said "all" I meant any but I said "all" because if you can change any then they could change all so there isn't a huge distinction. I'm not saying one has to be for changing everything to be considered a eugenicist or that it's not eugenics if it's only changing a few, not all undesired traits.
No offense, but this is a hilarious attempt at moving the goalpost if I've ever seen one. You said it in your previous post, in plain words, "Eugenics isn't only about removal of disease but eliminating all traits perceived as undesirable." Okay, let's assume you meant "any". But then you followed up with, "I don't mean physical traits, those can be altered. I mean human personality and mental health is more than just genetics." If you meant any here, physical traits would have satisfied and you would agree that eugenics works.

It's not goalpost shifting. You just didn't understand I was defining the range of eugenics encompasses more than just disease elimination. To define a part of eugenics as representative of eugenics as a whole isn't accurate because we are talking about all eugenics applications not a limited application of eugenics because "eugenics" by itself implies the broad meaning. If Dawkins only meant eugenics in a more narrow meaning of the word he failed to say so.

katsucats said:
traed said:
This was already implied where I said "perceived as undesirable" which suggests subjective judgment and subjective judgment is not universally agreed upon characteristics but individual preferences. I'm saying eugenics either would work or would not work depending on what is trying to be changed.
Subjective judgment is completely irrelevant to the conversation. The post was not "what should we change", it was "it can be changed if we chose to change something".

Eugenics is a set of beliefs and practices. "Should" is part of eugenics as much as if not more than "can".

katsucats said:
traed said:
I'm defining working here as total or near total removal of a characteristic rather than just a partial change.
Again, if you're defining eugenics as any change, then why do you keep changing your mind? There are plenty of characteristics that can be completely eliminated because they are genetics based.

Again I already said some things can be changed entirely and some can't. I never "changed" my mind.

katsucats said:
traed said:
If you define working as even just a 1% change then sure it would work for any trait but I don't feel that is a good way to describe it. Again i was just highlighting not every human characteristic is entirely genetic.
Then surely, you don't mean any change. LOL

1% and 100% is a false dichotomy. How about 99%? But you know what, I challenge that premise even. How about 100%? And the idea that eugenics fails if we don't also remove 100% of non-genetics regulated traits is a strawman. Eugenics is about regulation through genetics, not non-genetics.

Suppose cancer is 40% genetic and 60% environment. If eugenics reduces cancer by 40%, it did 100% of what it was supposed to do.

By any I mean anything genetic can be changed except if it defies physics but if only a small portion of a characteristic is genetic then only the genetic factor is changed not inherently the whole characteristic.

1% is just an example because I am avoiding the question of at what precise point it should be considered to have essentially eliminated a characteristic but for discussion sake let's just go with 75% genetic factor.

Problem is you're speaking of diseases that are binary states. Having it or not having it. I am talking more about character traits which is more of a spectrum. It's debated if personality is more nature or more nurture

I've brought this up in other threads about eugenics but not every gene that can do something bad does only something bad and not every gene that does something good only does something good. There are genes that do both good and bad things and some are completely essential. You can't simply remove every bad trait without creating a negative effect along with it. The goal of eugenics is to make people more healthy or better traits in general so I don't think you can always be successful in eugenics in whatever way it can be applied due to how some bad genes are also good or even necessary. Some things can be changed without consequences and some can't.

Going back my whole point all along is the limits of what eugenics is capable of without having a god like level of scientific knowledge and the right tools
Feb 17, 2020 1:22 AM

Sep 2018
I wish we could make every woman infertile unless the pass an IQ test and pay £100k for each kid.

The world would be a much better place in 50-100 years and the planet wouldn't be destroyed.
Feb 17, 2020 4:15 AM

Jul 2015
^ Why women and not men? Are all men super high IQ or what?
What if we made every cringe, empathy-impaired misogynist infertile?

Dhaarok said:

I have a feeling you consider yourself attractive and intelligent. That's not how that post makes you sound lol. How about we assist humble and kind people instead of arrogant, borderline sociopathic indiciduals?
Feb 17, 2020 5:38 AM

Jan 2009
just because youre correct that does not mean youre right - Shiro of Fate Stay Night

just because youre (scientifically) correct that does not mean youre (morally) right

and Dawkins later tweets says that too he is just saying eugenics is scientifically correct
Feb 17, 2020 5:43 AM

Mar 2018
deg said:
just because youre correct that does not mean youre right - Shiro of Fate Stay Night

just because youre (scientifically) correct that does not mean youre (morally) right

and Dawkins later tweets says that too he is just saying eugenics is scientifically correct
Oh for the love of god deg please leave the moral grounds...

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Feb 17, 2020 5:46 AM

Jan 2009
Luchse said:
deg said:

Oh for the love of god deg please leave the moral grounds...

darwinism is all a fact that is use by eugenics too but stuff like social darwinism should be lessen as long as we all live in a society or else chaos and the collapse of society will happen
Feb 17, 2020 7:45 AM

Mar 2012
QPR said:
I wish we could make every woman infertile unless the pass an IQ test and pay £100k for each kid.

The world would be a much better place in 50-100 years and the planet wouldn't be destroyed.
I thought Dawkins was an edgelord, but this is some next level edge, even for someone who avoids Chinese-looking people for fear of getting the coronavirus.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 17, 2020 8:57 AM

Oct 2018
Thread Locked
The topic of eugenics is controversial, as Twitter is not considered a source, and the only other site is considered questionable, this thread is locked for violating Rule 7.a. of Current Events.

Current Events Rule 7
Controversial/sensitive topics liable to incite rule violations (trolling, flaming, abuse) must:

a. be sourced from a reputable English-language media outlet (e.g. New York Times, Wall Street Journal, BBC, Scientific American)
b. use the title of the sourced article, and
c. be of significance (e.g. changing legislature, Nature/Science journal articles, unexpected world events, etc.)

This includes, but is not limited to, topics relating to: gender, sexual orientation, race, xenophobia, religion, abortion, sexual assault, immigration, hate groups, political ideologies, controversial public figures/leaders, etc.
Fleeting_DreamFeb 17, 2020 9:01 AM
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.