Forum Settings
Forums

What do you actually LIKE about Modern Anime?

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Post New Reply
Today, 7:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 2725
I like the fact it's making my pp bigga. Veri cool.

Let my blood taint your dreams!
Let the Grail be cursed!
Let the wish it grants bring disaster!
And when you fall into the pits of hell...
Remember the rage of Diarmuid!
 
Today, 10:34 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 2911
Calal-Chan said:


Keep in mind I was saying that subjective thing to both of you

So you are missing the point too - never said anything about objectiveness or that everyone should like the examples I presented. They were only a demonstration that scenery porn is not a recent thing also that it can be done with simplistic art not necessary with traced photos.
Maybe I should repeat everting from the top? Pfff.
Modified by alshu, Today, 10:38 AM
 
Today, 10:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 355
World building.

Sure, there is still a lot of stuff in an anime because it looks cool but these days most shows create some background reasoning behind and shows anticipate basic W-questions.
 
Today, 11:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 98
Lil_hentai said:
Would you really consider Meruem and Askeladd modern ? i mean they were written in 2003 and 2006 id put them in the old school category at this point. Anyways i disagree with modern villains being more complex, cant even remember a complex memorable modern villain off the top of my head on the other hand Kira from JoJo, Griffith, Gendo Ikari, Toguro as i mentioned Askeladd and Meruem are all unforgetable. Same goes for main characters, especially speaking of the modern Kirito carboard box clones.

Id say modern villains are the ones that are there to be an obstacle for the MC.

Not to just shit on modern anime, i have to say production values have increased obviously
I consider the modern era to be 2000-to now. I did a list of the eras I consider in the thread. Although, I didn't really consider their inceptions as manga characters, as I don't read Manga anymore. I was mainly thinking of when the anime came out. But, honestly, I'm comparing the average amount of villains with a cause over the ones in the past. Just, more often, you see complex motivations from villains today as a whole than you did back then. Of course, you're still going to have shallow villains and characters today, like the villain from Mob Psycho 2 for example, but I think you're seeing less of those and more villains like the ones you mentioned. I would disagree with you on most villains today just being evil to be evil, as opposed to villains from the 80s and 90s, but it all depends on which animes we've seen and haven't seen.
 
12 hours ago

Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 42
Injenss said:
Lil_hentai said:
Would you really consider Meruem and Askeladd modern ? i mean they were written in 2003 and 2006 id put them in the old school category at this point. Anyways i disagree with modern villains being more complex, cant even remember a complex memorable modern villain off the top of my head on the other hand Kira from JoJo, Griffith, Gendo Ikari, Toguro as i mentioned Askeladd and Meruem are all unforgetable. Same goes for main characters, especially speaking of the modern Kirito carboard box clones.

Id say modern villains are the ones that are there to be an obstacle for the MC.

Not to just shit on modern anime, i have to say production values have increased obviously
I consider the modern era to be 2000-to now. I did a list of the eras I consider in the thread. Although, I didn't really consider their inceptions as manga characters, as I don't read Manga anymore. I was mainly thinking of when the anime came out. But, honestly, I'm comparing the average amount of villains with a cause over the ones in the past. Just, more often, you see complex motivations from villains today as a whole than you did back then. Of course, you're still going to have shallow villains and characters today, like the villain from Mob Psycho 2 for example, but I think you're seeing less of those and more villains like the ones you mentioned. I would disagree with you on most villains today just being evil to be evil, as opposed to villains from the 80s and 90s, but it all depends on which animes we've seen and haven't seen.



Fair enough, we just have different perspectives hence its pointless to argue. Its just that not a single modern villain has struck me as hard as the old school ones.

Both eras have shallow and good villains im sure, but from my point of view i have yet to appreciate one in the modern.
 
10 hours ago

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 31
I have always avoided old animes {older than 2008}
But recently {this week} I watched CowBoy BeBop and start watching Monster so I can say that the animation, sound quality character design {the old animes characters are very similar like spike and samurai champloo MC} also it's very hard to find old animes subbed with very high quality.
 
10 hours ago

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1116
alshu said:
Calal-Chan said:


Keep in mind I was saying that subjective thing to both of you

So you are missing the point too - never said anything about objectiveness or that everyone should like the examples I presented. They were only a demonstration that scenery porn is not a recent thing also that it can be done with simplistic art not necessary with traced photos.
Maybe I should repeat everting from the top? Pfff.


You were missing my point too and being quite arrogant. Maybe I should restart from scratch too? I think the reason people debate with you as they do is that you clearly don't respect the person you are talking too. All I literally stated is that it was subjective and that all forms of art. Which means I was clearly agreeing that scenery porn isn't just a today thing.
 
9 hours ago

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 2911
Calal-Chan said:

You were missing my point too and being quite arrogant.

Really, in which way am I arrogant?
Where I said that am better by default than someone here? I am as good as my arguments...and I admit that I am bad at expressing them because my english is bad.


Calal-Chan said:
Maybe I should restart from scratch too?

OK.

Calal-Chan said:
I think the reason people debate with you as they do is that you clearly don't respect the person you are talking too.

- But this is new? How is that starting from scratch? We were never at that point.
- In which way I am disrespecting people? Simply by disagreeing and trying to put some arguments against? I never called someone names or implied that every opinion by that person is automatically invalid for some reason.

Calal-Chan said:
All I literally stated is that it was subjective and that all forms of art.

I never disagreed on that.

Calal-Chan said:
Which means I was clearly agreeing that scenery porn isn't just a today thing.

Yeah, but you said that it's both fault. How is that, when you agree on my point? Isn't it like Chiibi avoiding this theme on purpose and pretend to misunderstand me, partially ignoring things that I have wrote? Also implying that I hate CG and that I am somehow against all modern anime and technical advantages. Giving links to Photoshop lessons...to person who knows things or two about it and Illustrator. What I am saying is that Chiibi assumed a lot or maybe projected some other user on me.
How is defending my thesis a form of arrogance than?
Modified by alshu, 9 hours ago
 
8 hours ago
Offline
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 21
What I love most about modern anime is how it demolishes and puts pre 2000 anime to shame by every standard imaginable.
 
7 hours ago

Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 94
The art styles. Some people are into the retro style and I admit, I also like it. But I prefer modern art styles because I think it looks more clean and smooth.
 
2 hours ago

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1116
alshu said:
Calal-Chan said:

You were missing my point too and being quite arrogant.

Really, in which way am I arrogant?
Where I said that am better by default than someone here? I am as good as my arguments...and I admit that I am bad at expressing them because my english is bad.


Calal-Chan said:
Maybe I should restart from scratch too?

OK.

Calal-Chan said:
I think the reason people debate with you as they do is that you clearly don't respect the person you are talking too.

- But this is new? How is that starting from scratch? We were never at that point.
- In which way I am disrespecting people? Simply by disagreeing and trying to put some arguments against? I never called someone names or implied that every opinion by that person is automatically invalid for some reason.

Calal-Chan said:
All I literally stated is that it was subjective and that all forms of art.

I never disagreed on that.

Calal-Chan said:
Which means I was clearly agreeing that scenery porn isn't just a today thing.

Yeah, but you said that it's both fault. How is that, when you agree on my point? Isn't it like Chiibi avoiding this theme on purpose and pretend to misunderstand me, partially ignoring things that I have wrote? Also implying that I hate CG and that I am somehow against all modern anime and technical advantages. Giving links to Photoshop lessons...to person who knows things or two about it and Illustrator. What I am saying is that Chiibi assumed a lot or maybe projected some other user on me.
How is defending my thesis a form of arrogance than?


Pfff I don't know what you mean dude. Maybe I should just repeat myself again so you can finally understand what I mean. I was literally saying what you were saying because it sounded arrogant and like you new better than absolutely everyone by taking what they said out of context. I never said you were both at "fault". I literally just stated that you guys were arguing a moot point that was subjective and it is. Scenery porn isn't one straight definition meaning depending on either of your viewpoints it could be seen differently.

I also wasn't referencing the entire thing, but instead of trying to understand why I said that you nitpick the fudge out of it and try to dissect it and add a ton of stuff I didn't even say. I said, one sentence dude. Literally saying I was missing the point hence why I said the exact same thing back to you. Which caused you to be even more defensive. And don't say you said more than one you said I was being arrogant. Because I am referring to my original post.

The arrogance mostly came from the pffff. Like who actually writes that consciously? PFFFFFFF!!!!

If you can't see how bending what someone is saying to try and force your argument can come off as arrogant than I guess I just don't understand anything anymore. I guess we have officially derailed the thread. So my bad lol.
 
1 hour ago

Online
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 7630
alshu said:
They were only a demonstration that scenery porn is not a recent thing also that it can be done with simplistic art not necessary with traced photos.
Maybe I should repeat everting from the top? Pfff.


Where the f*ck do you keep getting this 'traced photos' thing from?

I've asked you about this like three times already and am still waiting for an answer. I looked all over the internet.

Shinkai does not "trace photos"; you are clearly making that up. You claim that OTHER anime artists do it as well so....I'd like to know where you get THAT information from?

Anyway, modern anime has better scenery porn than older ones and it's certainly becoming more abundant. That was my whole point and that's something I really like about modern shows.

No, scenery porn cannot be done with minimalistic art. The whole meaning changes then. None of the examples on TV tropes use that type of art...so I don't know why you think you can just make up a definition on your own. Absolutely NOBODY would agree that the examples you posted of the birds and snowy stuff are "scenery porn." In fact, I challenge you to find SOMEONE who does.


THESE are scenery porn examples, ok:



Modified by Chiibi, 12 minutes ago



 
Top
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]