Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Somari and the Guardian of the Forest
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 13, 2020 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Man, the fear on Somali's face is hard to watch. At least Uzoi decided to back off. Once again, I'm not surprised that Somali wants to protect Uzoi because of her kindhearted she is.

Another emotional episode again but the background story was also filled with despair. This show has really gotten dark in these recent episodes.
Feb 13, 2020 9:27 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
A really beautiful episode again, the end was so touching...
Feb 13, 2020 9:47 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
The tears continue to fall whenever I watch this series, but at least Somali is okay.
Feb 13, 2020 9:53 AM

Jan 2014
This episode brought out so many emotions holy shit.
Feb 13, 2020 10:00 AM

Apr 2016
Dude, he literally ate your mother .. what the fuck.

Also someone crusade those monsters already.
Feb 13, 2020 10:08 AM

Aug 2013
Quite the emotional episode. Well, this whole series has been full of emotions.

Uzoi and Haitora moment at the end of the episode was heartwarming. I almost cried.

Feb 13, 2020 10:09 AM
Sep 2015
The tornado effect is impressive!

Things are not lively for me since I don't see handsome oni or hunk werewolf around anymore.

The fortune teller might be 100% lie, but my interpretation is that the new blood = their offsprings/next generation, since it's clear that this problem can't be fixed anymore.
Feb 13, 2020 10:13 AM

Aug 2012
That backstory was fucked up but what kind of punishment is that? He's gonna die soon anyway and he killed your mother...
Feb 13, 2020 10:18 AM

Jul 2016
Wtf........That backstory.This has to be the best episode so far,that shit hit hard.Haitora´s lie reminding me of the Golem´s lie to Somali that he´d stay with her forever even though he´s gonna eventually die too.
Feb 13, 2020 10:41 AM

Feb 2020
Very emotional episode and whew that backstory sure was something.
Feb 13, 2020 10:51 AM

Nov 2013
Swagernator said:
Dude, he literally ate your mother .. what the fuck.

Also someone crusade those monsters already.

One of my WTF-s once i read this in the manga. Humans are hunted, prosecuted, eaten, toyed with, murdered for run, enslaved. - You'd expect every body-able man, woman and even child!!! - to be armed to the teeth at this point - But NO! The human village that was attacked wasn't even walled! In an extremely hostile environment such as this world, humans have to be always on guard, training for battle, always ready to fight, always armed. But i guess humans of this world are too stupid, suicidal, careless and delusional? Thinking they wouldn't be attacked? Peacefully Farming alone won't save your hated species from harm! - hence why they are nearly extinct! (which is stupid and unconvincing in my opinion)

Still not hating the anime anyways.
Feb 13, 2020 10:54 AM

Jan 2012
10/10.

Somali reaches new heights by plumbing new depths—Some Made in Abyss-level darkness, highlighting the implacability of the human/monster conflict, culminating in another voice acting CLINIC from Hayami Saori, one of the very best in the business.

Reminded me of perhaps her best performance, Hatoko's Rant:
youtube.com/watch?v=nHd3xfDzTg8
Feb 13, 2020 11:10 AM

Apr 2016
AzorAhai said:
One of my WTF-s once i read this in the manga. Humans are hunted, prosecuted, eaten, toyed with, murdered for run, enslaved. - You'd expect every body-able man, woman and even child!!! - to be armed to the teeth at this point - But NO! The human village that was attacked wasn't even walled! In an extremely hostile environment such as this world, humans have to be always on guard, training for battle, always ready to fight, always armed. But i guess humans of this world are too stupid, suicidal, careless and delusional? Thinking they wouldn't be attacked? Peacefully Farming alone won't save your hated species from harm! - hence why they are nearly extinct! (which is stupid and unconvincing in my opinion)

If someones gonna tell me that in this world there is NO big dangerous human kingdom i may even drop this.
Feb 13, 2020 11:12 AM

Jul 2015
Another fantastic episode especially the ending, talk about getting hit at point-blank range by the feels train. These guys deserve happiness.
Feb 13, 2020 11:16 AM

Jul 2016
Swagernator said:
AzorAhai said:

If someones gonna tell me that in this world there is NO big dangerous human kingdom i may even drop this.

These humans might as well be nomads at this point.Seems like they aren´t even making any attempts to fight back now that they have been driven into a corner by the monsters,most of them are just trying to survive.I doubt there would even be enough humans left to make for a kingdom,most of them probably already got hunted down and killed.
Feb 13, 2020 11:23 AM

Jul 2016
Missaliensan said:
Swagernator said:

These humans might as well be nomads at this point.Seems like they aren´t even making any attempts to fight back now that they have been driven into a corner by the monsters,most of them are just trying to survive.I doubt there would even be enough humans left to make for a kingdom,most of them probably already got hunted down and killed.

True that, imagine something like the indian americans trying to fight against everyone else on our planet, wouldn't really go that well would it?
Feb 13, 2020 11:29 AM

Jul 2016
Hero_Luka said:
Missaliensan said:

True that, imagine something like the indian americans trying to fight against everyone else on our planet, wouldn't really go that well would it?

Plus the fact the humans are scattered all over the place and seem to be more focused on their own self interests rather than thinking of teaming up together in an attempt to rise up against the monsters.I don’t think most of them are even aware of where other humans are tbh.Good point btw.
Feb 13, 2020 11:35 AM

Mar 2019
Last week I was like 'this bird girl better not touch our dear somali'
now I'm like Somali has a big sister now , Protecc all!! ♥
Feb 13, 2020 11:53 AM

Dec 2009
I feel like this series has so much potential in terms of emotions, but it just doesn't get through to me. Didn't shed a tear yet. The opening song gets my hope up (love it), but so far no crying yet. Maybe at the end-- (Don't think there's a happy ending, so there should be some crying involved.) Waiting!
Feb 13, 2020 11:54 AM

Dec 2014
well that was a little deep than expected...hmmm so un expected
Feb 13, 2020 12:28 PM

Aug 2019
God this was such a pure hearted and cute anime. Was not expecting such a dark twist.
Feb 13, 2020 12:30 PM

Mar 2018
holy jeez this anime is amazing. it is wholesome, the production values are great and it makes me cry with almost every episode. if I don't survive the ending this anime is going to an AOTY contender
Feb 13, 2020 12:33 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Damm thats one scary fortune teller. Despite the attempt to harm Somali Uzoi's motivations wasn't entirely malicious in nature. She merely sought to save the one person that she cared about. The circumstances that led to Haitora gaining his feathers though sure was a tragic one. Though the revelation was far more harsh on Uzoi though given the affections she has for him. Though close its thankful that Haitora did not need to sacrifice himself to atone for his sins. Though his sins were terrible its not up to him to take that route for it will bring a greater sorrow to Uzoi. Its good that in the end Uzoi and Haitora managed to solve their dilemma. As Somali said one cannot lie about their feelings and Haitora and Uzoi's respective feelings are genuine and both care about each other.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2020 12:35 PM

Mar 2017
Whew, that got me right in the kokoro! After finding out how Haitora got ill... I don't think he'll ever be cured but I hope that he and Uzoi can live happily together until his time comes.

This felt like a horrible omen for what is to come for Somali & Golem... ah fuck, I'm not ready!
Feb 13, 2020 1:07 PM

Oct 2018
Alright, this isn't a cute anime anymore. This is f*cking depressing, especially that backstory, that was dark.

-Aincrad-Feb 13, 2020 10:02 PM
Feb 13, 2020 1:25 PM
Oct 2014
fuckgendo said:
God this was such a pure hearted and cute anime. Was not expecting such a dark twist.
it still is in a way. I didn’t hear him mention any humans being raped so that’s good
Feb 13, 2020 1:40 PM

Apr 2015
Is this the same wholesome slice of life Anime I started 5 weeks ago???? Holy shit that backstory of Haitora and Uzoi is depressing. I feel sorry for both of them. Haitora seeing his wife and daughter get killed by corrupted blood... Fuck man :/ Poor Uzoi for only finding out so many years after.. That soundtrack did a solid job on the feels too.. I am so not ready for the ending of this if I am already struggling here.

I really hope that they will now travel together from this point forward, Golem to find human, Haitora finding a cure for his illness.
Feb 13, 2020 1:48 PM

Sep 2017
Wow, that change of tone was unexpected and that backstory really messed up

This episode was amazing, filled with feels and emotions
Feb 13, 2020 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
Everything that this episode had was perfect
Feb 13, 2020 2:01 PM

Oct 2019
I love how dark the story gets compared to the *cheerful* animation, it creates such a unique aesthetic. The only anime I think comes close would be madoka magica.

Anyway the dude's backstory was f*cked up, felt really bad when

This is definitely one of my favorites this season, cheers m8
Feb 13, 2020 2:27 PM
Mar 2015
Glad they reconciled after what he did to her mother
Feb 13, 2020 2:36 PM

Feb 2019
Slightly off topic, but I have the strangest urge to pull all of those feathers out of his eye socket, like it kinda makes my skin physically cringe.

Absolutely beautiful episode, Uzoi and Haitora are bound together in such a beautifully tragic way. Instead of continuing in this cycle of hatred, they've accepted the past is the past and can't be changed. I think most people would struggle to be able to travel with the person who killed your parent, but given the circumstances it's understandable. Definitely teared up at the last scene with them embracing and Somali and Golem sharing a moment. I know this show is going to destroy me at the end and I'm not ready at all. Wish more people off Reddit and MAL were talking about this.
Feb 13, 2020 2:55 PM

May 2014
Wow, that got darker than i expected.
Feb 13, 2020 4:10 PM
Dec 2017
Welp, that got dark.
Feb 13, 2020 4:44 PM

Dec 2016
So he got sick because he ate Haitora's mum... I wonder if this work also in reverse making "monster" more human? maybe this is main reason for human hunting?
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Feb 13, 2020 4:46 PM
Sep 2016
The Haitora backstory was amazing and i almost cried in the end, but i dont like some things, example:
- Golem let Somali sleep together with a fucking psycho who almost killed Somali
- Haitora magically deduce that Uzoi heard the conversation between he and Golem
- In the PV of next episode, i have the impression that Haitora and Uzoi will be forgot rapidly in the Plot, maybe appear in the beginning of episode 7, say Goodbye to Golem-san and Somali and we never will see them again in the history.
I give this episode a Score of 8...
[Sorry for the bad english]
Feb 13, 2020 5:17 PM

Aug 2018
Amazing episode, it was much darker than I expected... I wouldn't cry but this definitely made me sad
Feb 13, 2020 5:44 PM

Feb 2016
This episode completely obliterated my heart ;_; this was so dark, I didn't really expect it.

Lukenakama said:

- Golem let Somali sleep together with a fucking psycho who almost killed Somali
- Haitora magically deduce that Uzoi heard the conversation between he and Golem

- Uzoi isn't a Psycho, she was only desperate for the one she loves, she even told Haitora that she wanted to do so, but she couldn't find herself doing that, simply because she isn't like that, it's the same reason why she decided to forgive Haitora after hearing the truth.

- He didn't magically deduce it, Haitora saw hesitance in Uzoi's eyes when they got attacked by the tornado (in the background, he could've noticed Uzoi feeling really down too) so it doesn't come out of nowhere.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Feb 13, 2020 5:52 PM

Jul 2016
I thought he contacted that "harpy herpes" by having interspecies relation... I didn't expect outright interspecies "cannibalism" (yeah, I know it's not cannibalism since they are a different species).

It was way darker than I thought.

This episode was dark AF. It was full of emotions. I doubt they are going to follow the group (because the human is dying so it doesn't make sense for them to follow), but I really want to see more interaction between them.

Feb 13, 2020 6:22 PM

Feb 2011
That was a touching episode however I couldn't get as emotionally invested as I was supposed to when I realized that the author didn't even bother to try to explain why Haitora managed to survive several years after consuming that Harpy flesh while his family died on the spot.
Feb 13, 2020 6:48 PM

Oct 2011
Hatsuyuki said:
That was a touching episode however I couldn't get as emotionally invested as I was supposed to when I realized that the author didn't even bother to try to explain why Haitora managed to survive several years after consuming that Harpy flesh while his family died on the spot.

This is just my guess, but perhaps he survived because he ate less meat than his family.

Feb 13, 2020 6:51 PM

Feb 2011
Dashiawia said:
Hatsuyuki said:

This is just my guess, but perhaps he survived because he ate less meat than his family.

Well, that's an assumption. And we're talking about the meat of a fantastic beast right here, for all we know even ingestion of small quantities could be fatal.
Feb 13, 2020 8:48 PM

Jul 2016
Damn, Haitora's backstory was so dark and tragic I loved it. Exactly the kind of crudity I was expecting from a series with such hostile setting.

Quite good episode overall. In the end, I really liked both Haitora and Uzoi's characters as well as their complicated relationship.
I honestly would like to see more of them but unfortunately, it seems they will be forgotten once they all cross the desert. A real shame considering that after such heavy revelation, things won't never be the same between the human and the harpy and I was kinda curious to see how they would start creating their new bond from scratch.
Feb 13, 2020 9:50 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Jeez, that was some crippling dark backstory...

Like a few others though, a few tidbits (e.g. the lack of protective measures from the humans) did bother me too but the emotional impact was far more significant so no biggies overall, I suppose.

Uzoi accepting the past like that and then pledging to keep the duo going was really commendable too! Damn, it's scary when you think about how her mother was eaten by him though. Yikes, I suppose that goes to show how grim the setting can be as well. A shout-out to Hayami Saori-san for the great VA too, definitely made the episode a lot more touching.

And that fortune teller, good lord. I have a feeling Somali might just do something because if there's anyone who would understand Uzoi in this regard, it's undoubtedly her.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 13, 2020 10:32 PM
May 2019
It's funny looking at that post saying the manga feels darker and then the flashbacks in this episode come along. May not be as dark, but they're definitely showing that darker side.
Feb 14, 2020 1:16 AM

Aug 2012
Crazy backstory, it got dark real quick
Feb 14, 2020 2:18 AM

Nov 2013
@Swagernator

This show doesn't seem like one that has human kingdom(s) somewhere, though it's not entirely impossible.

if you want spoilers:
Feb 14, 2020 2:31 AM

Jul 2017
This episode certainly did a "Made in Abyss" moment, and it's as dark and depressing as I remember. The manga's tragic nature had me in tears, but damn this adaptation took it to another level.

The scurriedness of kid Somali having Uzoi to take her life in exchange to cure Haitora, it was insanity and fear like no other.

To add to that, the "family values" of Uzoi and Haitora. And damn, eating someone else's mother? That's just sick, but to understand the POV of someone whose life has just turned for the worse, it's not good luck that follows but coincidental fate, a nightmare burned into the soul.

Furthermore, to add fuel to the fire, on top of Uzoi being deceived all this while by Haitora, the only way is to atone for them. Plus, in unfamiliar territory, danger lurks for the dying Haitora with suicide being the only way to go unnoticed. But in the end, the way to live on is to take the journey together.

This anime just keeps getting better with more emotions. The best so far, and props to Saori Hayami as Uzoi's VA. Never could've asked for a wonderful VA cast as this.
Feb 14, 2020 2:33 AM

Nov 2013
Missaliensan said:
Hero_Luka said:

Plus the fact the humans are scattered all over the place and seem to be more focused on their own self interests rather than thinking of teaming up together in an attempt to rise up against the monsters.I don’t think most of them are even aware of where other humans are tbh.Good point btw.
That may be true, but humans aren't oblivious to the existence of monsters, and for a war that nearly wiped them all out, they should be aware to some degree that danger is real right? Even if we throw away monster society from the picture, what about ordinary wild beasts like wolves and bears. I'd say it's too unrealistic that the farmers would just play farm-simulator and don't have basic walls/towers/militia/spears and sword/some armor, to at least have a chance in defending themselves. Unless these people were living under a rock all the time, their idleness is unjustified and beyond stupid. Even american Indians were better aware of danger, and humans of this world are believed to be more advanced than them!
Feb 14, 2020 4:19 AM
Sep 2016
AdolZeppeli said:
This episode completely obliterated my heart ;_; this was so dark, I didn't really expect it.

Lukenakama said:

- Uzoi isn't a Psycho, she was only desperate for the one she loves, she even told Haitora that she wanted to do so, but she couldn't find herself doing that, simply because she isn't like that, it's the same reason why she decided to forgive Haitora after hearing the truth.

- He didn't magically deduce it, Haitora saw hesitance in Uzoi's eyes when they got attacked by the tornado (in the background, he could've noticed Uzoi feeling really down too) so it doesn't come out of nowhere.

Yeah i know Uzoi is not Pshycho, i just exaggerate to looks funny, even i really dont understood why Golem rapidly forgive Uzoi, who almost killed Somali, the Psycho part was just a joke.

I noticed this little detail in the tornado scene, but even yet it don´t make sense in my opinion, it´s hard to me think a person in this situation have this conclusion just because of the "eyes" of a person, but whatever, thats was just little things that bothered me, not real defects of the anime.

And relax, the last thing i want in the world is insult other peoples because they have different opinions from me.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

67 by Anarcxh »»
Mar 2, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

145 by ShitList »»
Jan 26, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

68 by phantom346 »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kuuderes_shadow - Oct 25, 2019

205 by Muow »»
Dec 26, 2023 6:36 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2020

77 by GingZ »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.