Forum Settings
Forums

Illegitimate (Duplicate) Account Detection System: Scores Will Be Recalculated Site-Wide

New
Pages (26) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 12, 2020 5:18 AM

Jul 2012
Seitaro11 said:
Mayuka said:

those staff aren't in charge of this stuff so it's not that surprising lol

Still it's weird. Just like when Sony awarded tLoU as game of the decade, even though Sony was the one who published it. Of course people that chose this game aren't the same that worked on this game, but it's still pretty huge boasting, just like in here
prob cuz they knew about the award beforehand so they were the first to comment lol
Feb 12, 2020 5:18 AM
Feb 2018
snk s3 part 2 only got up to 9.09?? i swear it should be a lot higher than that its insane. i hope it rises in the coming 7 days. is it even possible for any more titles in the top 10 to still change over this next week?
Feb 12, 2020 5:19 AM
Aug 2010
Immahnoob said:
It's great and all, but the fact that there's not one staffer that isn't against this change is rather telling.
I'm dumb but I don't get it. it's telling of what?

LogicalPoint said:
Care to mention why you threatened Chibi, Nux, LP, RGE, Animoe, and SDE?
I must have missed that. What happened exactly? Do you have a link?

Feb 12, 2020 5:22 AM

Apr 2012
lpf said:
Immahnoob said:
It's great and all, but the fact that there's not one staffer that isn't against this change is rather telling.
I'm dumb but I don't get it. it's telling of what?
That MAL is an echo chamber, or at least, those that disagree don't want to voice it, which makes it even worse.
This system is in no way a good system.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Feb 12, 2020 5:22 AM
Mar 2015
Ardanaz said:
LogicalPoint said:
Care to mention why you threatened Chibi, Nux, LP, RGE, Animoe, and SDE?

Care to back up that claim with any instance of that being done?

Few Days ago that user sent harassing messages and links to support a brigade on around half a dozen users/people That I am aware of there are probably alot more I don't.) and then proceeded to abuse their power to hide this fact. This level of censorship and abuse from someone with that much power if horrifying. But you will only ever hear cheers because that is all that is permitted due to the power they employ.
Feb 12, 2020 5:25 AM
Aug 2010
LogicalPoint said:
Ardanaz said:

Few Days ago that user sent harassing messages and links to support a brigade on around half a dozen users/people That I am aware of there are probably alot more I don't.) and then proceeded to abuse their power to hide this fact. This level of censorship and abuse from someone with that much power if horrifying. But you will only ever hear cheers because that is all that is permitted due to the power they employ.
interesting if true

Screenshot/link?

Feb 12, 2020 5:25 AM

Aug 2014
LogicalPoint said:
Ardanaz said:

Who is 'That user'?
I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you have any proof of this?
Feb 12, 2020 5:28 AM

Sep 2018
Hi Kineta, I find it troubling that IR got pushed back down to 7.57 which is a value it had passed by the 26th Jan.

More so since it was trending up from the 22nd Jan - 31st Jan and this trend accelerated from the 1st Feb to the 4th Feb

I strongly suspect you have punished legitimate accounts wishing to support this show.
Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Feb 12, 2020 5:30 AM
Aug 2015
They haven't delete all the scores from illegitimate accounts but well. Better than nothing.
Feb 12, 2020 5:31 AM

Nov 2019
Nice job !
Feb 12, 2020 5:31 AM
Sep 2012
Mayuka said:
Seitaro11 said:

Still it's weird. Just like when Sony awarded tLoU as game of the decade, even though Sony was the one who published it. Of course people that chose this game aren't the same that worked on this game, but it's still pretty huge boasting, just like in here

prob cuz they knew about the award beforehand so they were the first to comment lol

How exactly knowing beforehand when this thread will be created has to do anything with their comment's content? If they didn't know beforehand, and they posted their reply hours after this thread was created, then they wouldn't be able to pat their own back?
Feb 12, 2020 5:32 AM

May 2019
Yeah, the first thing i did is i checked the votes and saw a handful of SnK/FMA boosting and downvoting, but to my understanding their votes don't count and they're just wasting their time
Feb 12, 2020 5:34 AM

May 2013
Chief Kineta working hard to make things right!
Feb 12, 2020 5:35 AM
Feb 2018
xenosys said:
gamers12 said:

Like with Ishuzoku Reviewers I calculated score and it should be 8,98 but it is 7.56 now. It clearly shows artificial manipulation. That is even worse than it was before.

You need to read the opening post by the mod again. This is addressed.

Mattinator95 said:
Will all anime / manga etc get a score adjustment in the next 7 days or is it just for the top 50

This is addressed in the opening post.

I know what opening post says. It doesn't matter what you do, math is everywhere and every time the same. All I said is that it is confusing and wrong.
Feb 12, 2020 5:37 AM
May 2016
I wish there was an algorithm to prevent Gintama from dominating the top 10

*ducks*
Feb 12, 2020 5:40 AM

Aug 2018
Top 50 should be included, so the incoming new scoring system the system is a failure already.

But no, you choose to please the fanboys once again. Just no remorse for salty tears!
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Feb 12, 2020 5:41 AM

Feb 2020
Good Job! Happy it got implemented.
Feb 12, 2020 5:44 AM

Aug 2014
Timz0r said:
Top 50 should be included, so the incoming new scoring system the system is a failure already.

But no, you choose to please the fanboys once again. Just no remorse for salty tears!

I suggest you read the OP. Top 50 is included

But no, you chose to post without reading.
Feb 12, 2020 5:45 AM

Nov 2010
Wonderllama5 said:

*ducks*

Iirc it used to be the top anime before FMA:B overtook it, and some later seasons also competed for the top spot.
Feb 12, 2020 5:47 AM

Aug 2018
Ardanaz said:
Timz0r said:

I suggest you read the OP. Top 50 is included

But no, you chose to post without reading.

Correction; they treat the 50 as their baby and do very little about those manipuated scores.

MAL scores are a joke.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Feb 12, 2020 5:49 AM

Jun 2015
Some people are already trying to break the new system. https://myanimelist.net/profile/kitsune0

This guy set all 3 seasons of Chihayafuru at dropped after 13 episodes and rated them 1,2 and 3. And some people have the audacity to say illegitimate scores don't exist.
DeathTheKid4Feb 12, 2020 5:52 AM
Fortune favours the bold!

Feb 12, 2020 5:50 AM

Apr 2012
Cladocera said:
borderliner said:
Hi Kineta, I find it troubling that IR got pushed back down to 7.57 which is a value it had passed by the 26th Jan.

More so since it was trending up from the 22nd Jan - 31st Jan and this trend accelerated from the 1st Feb to the 4th Feb

I strongly suspect you have punished legitimate accounts wishing to support this show.
There're more people started watching who rate it other than 1 or 10, and I suspect many would view it under a negative light so it's not that unbelievable. Score changes constantly, just because it was rising/dropping does not mean it will continue doing so. Examples.

And tbh, any legit users that happened to be caused in the crossfire is unfortunate, but we can do nothing about that. It's a site-wide change, everyone bears the same risk.
Or maybe, we could have not taken the machine gun out and sprayed like madmen, and instead just left the situation alone. This system did nothing good for the site.

Autocrat said:
Feb 12, 2020 5:52 AM

Aug 2014
Timz0r said:
Correction; they treat the 50 as their baby and do very little about those manipuated scores.

MAL scores are a joke.

So you didn't read it.

"The scores for all entries will be recalculated over the next 7 days."

Top 50 was just changed immediately
Feb 12, 2020 5:55 AM

Apr 2012
Cladocera said:
Immahnoob said:
Or maybe, we could have not taken the machine gun out and sprayed like madmen, and instead just left the situation alone. This system did nothing good for the site.

I personally support the change, just as many users in this thread.
Indeed, none of you are thinking of the factual consequences.
You're basically in agreement that your vote can always be rescinded and you punished.

Autocrat said:
Feb 12, 2020 5:56 AM

Jun 2015
Immahnoob said:
Cladocera said:

I personally support the change, just as many users in this thread.
Indeed, none of you are thinking of the factual consequences.
You're basically in agreement that your vote can always be rescinded and you punished.

Why would legit users be punished if they don't take part in a brigade?
Fortune favours the bold!

Feb 12, 2020 5:56 AM

Aug 2018
Ardanaz said:
Timz0r said:

MAL scores are a joke.

So you didn't read it.

Ardanaz said:
Timz0r said:

MAL scores are a joke.

So you didn't read it.

I have read it. I just don't believe it the lies that are being told. No remorse for the top 50 scores and have a fresh starts aswell. All scores should be wiped off within the week if you guys truly believe in a no score manipulation policy. We'll see how toxic most fanboys here are. ;-)
Feb 12, 2020 6:01 AM

Aug 2014
Timz0r said:
I have read it. I just don't believe it the lies that are being told. No remorse for the top 50 scores and have a fresh starts aswell. All scores should be wiped off within the week if you guys truly believe in a no score manipulation policy. We'll see how toxic most fanboys here are. ;-)

I should've figured it'd go in this direction.

Feb 12, 2020 6:03 AM

Feb 2020
Just my two cents. If you look at the age of my account I'm probably one of those hit by collateral damage, and that's okay. Collateral damage was to be expected with any plan that would have been effective.
Feb 12, 2020 6:04 AM

May 2014
Thanks MAL mods for getting our concerns resolved!
Feb 12, 2020 6:07 AM

Jan 2009
Seitaro11 said:
It's hillarious how the very first replies to this topic are from MAL staff congratulating MAL staff for their work

its because the moderators are not the developers of even owners
the moderators here are all volunteers
Feb 12, 2020 6:09 AM

Apr 2012
Cladocera said:
Think of it like that if you will, I won't change your mind and I don't care either. The change is fair enough for me so I have nothing to complain.
Let MAL burn, as long as it heats you up, huh? That's quite short term thinking.

Autocrat said:
Feb 12, 2020 6:10 AM

Aug 2018
Ardanaz said:
Timz0r said:

I should've figured it'd go in this direction.

It's the best solution to be honest instead of this bullcrap that will fail nonetheless.
But no; you guys always need to be more complicated as usual.

WIPE THEM ALL!
Feb 12, 2020 6:12 AM

Sep 2017
Well done MAL! And to the crybabies, please don't let the door hit you on the way out :)
Feb 12, 2020 6:12 AM

Jul 2019
Wonderllama5 said:

*ducks*

I wish there was an algorithm to prevent people to talk about the series they haven't even watched.
Feb 12, 2020 6:15 AM

Mar 2018
Nicely done. I was expecting a bigger change with some series but this a step in the right direction. This makes scores more relevant
Feb 12, 2020 6:20 AM

Aug 2018
Fosn said:
DeathTheKid4 said:
Some people are already trying to break the new system. https://myanimelist.net/profile/kitsune0

This guy set all 3 seasons of Chihayafuru at dropped after 13 episodes and rated them 1,2 and 3. And some people have the audacity to say illegitimate scores don't exist.
Honestly, removing the scores might be the best solution to all this.

I don't know if a website already exists (a large enough website) that has completely removed scores, but I think it's the best solution. It is the best for one thing, nobody will be worried about the vote brigade or illegitimate accounts upvoting or downvoting anything. However, this has a negative aspect, which is the "review" part. I don't think i'd make sense if the score cease to exist but the reviews/score not. Unless you review something without adding a score attached to it, which I don't approve of, reviews should also be removed. Reviewing something without knowing the score is downright wrong, if you ask me.

Thank you for being a sane person and also opting for in just removing all scores together and starting wiht a fresh start.

It's people like you I know some humans have still some value.
Stay awesome. <3
Feb 12, 2020 6:23 AM

Jan 2009
Timz0r said:
Fosn said:
Honestly, removing the scores might be the best solution to all this.

I don't know if a website already exists (a large enough website) that has completely removed scores, but I think it's the best solution. It is the best for one thing, nobody will be worried about the vote brigade or illegitimate accounts upvoting or downvoting anything. However, this has a negative aspect, which is the "review" part. I don't think i'd make sense if the score cease to exist but the reviews/score not. Unless you review something without adding a score attached to it, which I don't approve of, reviews should also be removed. Reviewing something without knowing the score is downright wrong, if you ask me.

Thank you for being a sane person and also opting for in just removing all scores together and starting wiht a fresh start.

It's people like you I know some humans have still some value.
Stay awesome. <3

fresh start? isnt that whats being done here with the all recalculation going on with the new system?
Feb 12, 2020 6:26 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Thank you mods and admin staff. A massive step in the right direction. Thank you.

If you're ever considering future improvements in the futre, you might want to consider pooling several seasons of the same series as one entry. You already do it for lets say LOGH. It would really help addressing the issue of sequel bias.

Did I understand correctly and the accounts of which scores have been ignored are not made aware of this fact?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 12, 2020 6:30 AM

Aug 2018
deg said:

fresh start? isnt that whats being done here with the all recalculation going on with the new system?

With a fresh start we meant wipe all scores down. Implement new system. I don't mind in re-adding my 700+ scores.

But I bet MAL staf are too stubborn to consider this. MAL scores will stay a joke even when the week has passed.
Feb 12, 2020 6:31 AM
May 2018
I don't understand point of all this...

If you do that, then how will people be able to make alt accounts in order to manipulate rankings?
Feb 12, 2020 6:31 AM
May 2015
It's a shame that even when the vote brigading(like in ishuzoku reviewers) increases the awareness of the show it actually also damages its reputation and can put off new potential viewers and/or enrage others so they wont watch the show with open mind but blinded with anger, so in the end it can do more harm than good, as well as it upsets the community

Well its interesting to see the changes in scores, glad to see gintama a bit more up, definitely deserves it
Feb 12, 2020 6:33 AM

Aug 2014
jjohn333 said:
It's a shame that even when the vote brigading(like in ishuzoku reviewers) increases the awareness of the show it actually also damages its reputation and can put off new potential viewers and/or enrage others so they wont watch the show with open mind but blinded with anger, so in the end it can do more harm than good, as well as it upsets the community

Well its interesting to see the changes in scores, glad to see gintama a bit more up, definitely deserves it

Pretty much what it did for me lol
I love ecchi shows and this whole mess has put me off from watching it
Feb 12, 2020 6:34 AM

Mar 2012
Timz0r said:
deg said:

With a fresh start we meant wipe all scores down. Implement new system. I don't mind in re-adding my 700+ scores.

But I bet MAL staf are too stubborn to consider this. MAL scores will stay a joke even when the week has passed.
Yeah sure it look fun for someone that have 1000 series entry like me. Totally worthy of my time.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 12, 2020 6:35 AM

Jan 2009
Timz0r said:
deg said:

lol i choose the lesser evil that is this new system rather wiping out everything every what few years? and you are just inviting more vote brigading with a totally clean state of the scores anyway

Psajdak said:
I don't understand point of all this...

If you do that, then how will people be able to make alt accounts in order to manipulate rankings?

am i reading this right? making alt accounts to manipulate the rankings is fine for you? wut?
degFeb 12, 2020 6:38 AM
Feb 12, 2020 6:39 AM

Dec 2016
:thinking: I wonder how a troll vote is considered to be as such... (I'm referring more to legitimate accounts rather than illegitimate ones in this instance since there are metrics to define an illegitimate account stated.)
Feb 12, 2020 6:39 AM

Dec 2018
Great to see that things are fixed back to normal again, I am someone who always found this whole upvoting & downvoting of shows via bot accounts of fanboys to be extremely unfair, regardless of what shows I personally prefer. So really pleased to see all of these stuff being finally taken care off with the rating troll score plan being put into good effect.

It seems like that scores of a few shows are still left to be adjusted, which as Kineta said, would take some more time to happen & continue to be adjusted over the next 7 days. Still am kinda surprised seeing Chihayafuru's score not being updated right away like Ishuzoku Reviewers, since that was supposed to be one of the major priorities of the rating troll score plan....but well, it's obviously gonna happen pretty soon in course of time as stated, which is relieving to know (still yet to watch the show but the way it got rabidly downvoted all of a sudden was criminal).

EDIT: Oh wait, by the time I started typing up my post, Chihayafuru's score wasn't updated, looks like it has finally been done now, thankfully. :)

The most pleasing thing here for me obviously is the "memes" Pingu In The City and Ishuzoku Reviewers being put into place. NGL, after watching Pingu, I.....literally was astounded that how the MAL community could choose this enormously childish & "good for only 5 year olds" show to upvote as a meme, can't really get more satisfactory to see it being put in its deserved place. Don't really think I need to elaborate regarding Ishuzoku Reviewers at this point.

Kobayasan said:
Yep, i was certain FMA, Steins;Gate and HxH were gonna get hit hard with this patch.

Well, I think I already told you this in another thread, but I always had a feeling that you were being wrong regarding this. While there has been several bot accounts upvoting the shows, there has been several accounts downvoting them too as well, and the downvotes do more than just neutralizing the upvotes. FMA:B fanboys are obviously amongst the worst with the way they start downvoting any show that threatens to overtake the top position of their favourite, but the fanboys of those other high-ranked have also downvoted FMA:B in retaliation after FMA:B fanboys downvoted their favourites. It's not like as if the fanboys of the other high-ranked shows sat quiet and did nothing. This was clearly seen during FMA:B's score bug problem, when several FMA:B fanboys started rabidly downvoting AoT Season 3 Part 2 via bots, many AoT bot accounts were also evidently seen downvoting FMA:B too well.

Downvoting with 1's have far more of an effect compared upvotes given by 10, that's obvious since it at least takes 9 upvotes by 10's to neutralize a downvote by 1. Which is why expecting a massive decrease in FMA:B's score after the removal of the fake booster accounts upvoting it was always faulty (and guess what, it actually happened to increase!). The upvotes boosting FMA:B's score were pretty understandably more than just neutralized by the downvoted given by the fanboys of the other high ranked shows in retaliation after FMA:B fanboys downvoted their favourites.

I just hope that people now stop saying that FMA:B's score is massively influenced by the bot upvotes, now that it's score has actually increased after the score plan has come into effect. It's undeniable that the downvoting by the FMA:B fanboys have had a massive impact on the scores of other shows like Gintama & LoGH (which is evident as it can be seen now), but the upvotes boosting FMA:B's score barely can make an impact since the downvotes given by the fanboys of others shows to FMA:B did more than just to neutralize those as downvoting has obviously more impact than upvoting.

I also remember telling you (alongside saying that FMA:B's score will likely remain the same with all downvotes/upvotes excluded) that a few shows like Gintama 2015 might rank above FMA:B with the downvotes excluded, but well....seems like that didn't happen. Regardless, I'm happy to see them increase in score.

What honestly surprised me most here is that AoT Season 3 Part 2's score increased only by 0.02....I definitely expected a bigger increase here. Guess the AoT Season 3 Part 2's much higher score back then was also somewhat due to seasonal hype & part of the decrease in its score has also happened naturally due to the hype dieing down.

--------------------------------

Anyways, I hope that the scores of some of the others which were also evidently effected by botting, like all the SAO seasons, also get their scores adjusted in due time as well (even considering SAO is a hype train anime whose score is expected to drop in the course of time as it receives a enormous amount of hate in the fandom, the scores of its seasons have been dropping unnaturally fast through the last few months)

Also, just a question: am I only who feels like that MHA's scores (all of its seasons) have been unnaturally dropping fast through the last few months as well (maybe it was also facing the same problems too)? I'm kinda hoping some adjustment in its scores too in that case.

345EdwardElricFeb 12, 2020 7:58 AM
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
Feb 12, 2020 6:42 AM

Oct 2018
This is great, but I still have one, but important question.

How did you test it?

How do you know for sure, that your algorithm indeed works the way intended, and the scores are perfectly calculated?
Feb 12, 2020 6:42 AM

Mar 2010
Thank you Kineta and Staff!!
Feb 12, 2020 6:45 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
jjohn333 said:

Funnily enough, all of this made me aware of the show. I'm going to watch it once it finished airing, just to see what this was all about and if it might actually be a decent show. Usually, I'm not the biggest Ecchi fan, so without all the attention I probably wouldn't have considered watching it, but it seems to have an unusual premise at least, so it might be worth a watch.

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Feb 12, 2020 6:46 AM

Sep 2018
Cladocera said:
borderliner said:

There're more people started watching who rate it other than 1 or 10, and I suspect many would view it under a negative light so it's not that unbelievable. Score changes constantly, just because it was rising/dropping does not mean it will continue doing so. Examples.

And tbh, any legit users that happened to be caused in the crossfire is unfortunate, but we can do nothing about that. It's a site-wide change, everyone bears the same risk.

Nope, that's not the case. Strongest trend (outside of 10/10 and 1/10) is for 9/10, trending out the scores I make the likely figure 7.62

And that is completely ignoring the many legitimate users (myself included) who decided to rate this a 10/10 not because of Nux or anyone else but because "that's what we're allowed to do!!"

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Pages (26) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by DessiJ »»
10 minutes ago

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

210 by Kye_xz »»
Today, 4:02 AM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Feb 23

194 by Seruki123 »»
Yesterday, 9:54 AM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.