3It was OK
2.6%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
1.0%
Average 4.8
192 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2020 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The camera focus on Shinobu in this match is so intense. Every shot of her shows her menality while there's also a great deal of emphasis on her opponent. This is the level of match I had expected with the amount of pressure.

Also really interesting to see Shinobu and Chihaya pray outside of that tense match.
Stark700Feb 11, 2020 9:09 AM
Feb 11, 2020 9:05 AM

Nov 2007
Queen cannot concentrate on the competition. She cannot understand why she is weird.

Both the challengers won for 2nd round. Oh, ex-queen seems to be pregnant?

Queen rest and concentrated on Meijin. It seems like Meijin became serious this round, and he won the teacher.

So queen likes her grandmother, who has been cool to her. She gave main girl the muffler, and main girl helped queen w. the kimono.

Teacher's attack again. lol @ two kouhais' expression. Queen is back on track.

Meijin has problem w. eye sight?

It seems like grandmother actually cares about her granddaughter and tries to watch the competition via TV without knowing there's no TV broadcast anymore.
tsubasaloverFeb 11, 2020 9:25 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 11, 2020 1:40 PM

Oct 2012
These last 2 episodes make me love Suou and Shinobu so much more. Shinobu is so pretty, a graceful beauty....such a proud, lonely girl....it was so heartwarming to see Chihaya give her the support she was in such need of.

Haruka San is awaiting a third child, what a lovely touching moment when she was resting....made me teary.

Harada Sensei wants that title so hard, Chihaya tattling about Suou's eyes still bothers me and Harada definitely didn't let that tip go to waste. Harada san couldn't have been more wrong about Suou: he also wants to please someone.....
chiakimagotoFeb 11, 2020 9:45 PM
Feb 11, 2020 1:49 PM

May 2019
Im loving these last two episodes, Shinobu lost a round for the first time and Harada-sensei is gaining an edge against Suo. At first i was convinced it was going to go to Suos plan with him winning 3-2, but now i think Harada-sensei might win which means Suo won't retire from Karuta.

Also ChihayaxShinobu i knew it, they called me mad but i knew it all along.
Feb 11, 2020 1:59 PM

Jul 2012
Holy shit i want Harada to win so much, but something tells me next episode we will see Suo-san's comeback, and his passion for karuta revealed.
Also, i am really worried for Inokuma-san. I hope this match does not impact her and her babies health adversly. After all, karuta takes a great toll on you physically and mentally.
It feels like Queen will keep her title, preparing us for a Queen match with Ayase next year.
Whoever wins the Meijin title, i feel like will retire after the match, possibly preparing for Arata vs Taichi Meijin match next year. So exciting!
Feb 11, 2020 2:00 PM

Sep 2014
Do we know who Suou keeps talking to on the phone? I'm very curious about what's happening there.

I have to laugh every time it cuts away to Arata watching in bed with all the comments flying across the screen, and when he can't control what's being shown on the stream. I've been there, man, I've been there.
Feb 11, 2020 2:09 PM

Mar 2013
I feel so bad for her grandma lol, why did no one tell her it was being broadcast online???

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 11, 2020 2:18 PM

Feb 2018
"If the more isolated I am, the stronger I am, then shouldn't I be at my strongest right now?"

Poor Shinobu. I've always enjoyed her appearances on the show, and I'm glad her character is beginning to get more fleshed-out. I hope we see more of her than we have through the first 2.5+ seasons.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Feb 11, 2020 2:21 PM

Oct 2012
"Unlike you, I have someone I want to please" Little do you know, Harada-sensei~
Always great to see Shinobu/Chihaya connection and friendship. Chihaya was the one able to get Shinobu back to her feet.

They adapted 2 and a half chapters this episode again... Hmmm...
MaahHeimFeb 11, 2020 2:30 PM
Feb 11, 2020 2:23 PM
Apr 2016
So, I'm guessing Suo wanted certain someone to watch the match, and thus, he manipulated the score by making himself lose the first two rounds. Hearing that they or he, will not watch the match, he decided to just go all out. Same goes with Shinobu it seems, she's alone just like Suo—that said, Chihaya did take away that "loneliness" at the end or so it seemed.
Feb 11, 2020 2:40 PM
Mar 2015
Everybody has someone they want to win for For Shinobu it is thee cards. For Inokuma it is her babies. For Harada it is his wife For Suo it is his aunt.
Suo has his impetus now since his aunt will see the last match. Shinobu now has support from Chihaya
Feb 11, 2020 3:08 PM
Apr 2018
Usually there is always the top tier animation work, but today was something really special which really caught the essence of the story and atmosphere. Especially with the matches and character emotion portrayal. Harada sensei's fierce look was too good.

Starting with queen match, both queens struggling in their own way, inokuma physically and Shinbou mentally.
Congrats to inokuma, third baby on the way and her wish for a girl is coming true it seems xD
You could see that feelings radiate from her hands and her determination to prove to the world that even a mother of three can be a queen. really respect her and hope the best for her since its her last game.

And then there is shinobu ofc, just when you think you couldnt love her more, she just proves me wrong. As i said before this girl really needed someone share her happiness and also craving the love & attention from her grandma, her mother really doesnt help her case and makes it worse.
So happy that someone like chihaya finally showed up in her life. Shinobu giving the snowmaru scarf while chihaya tying the tasuki and pushing her forward for her really was a heartwarming scene. A Friend who can support you and a rival who makes you stronger, just what she needed and voila our shinobu is back to her smiling form while talking with her cards. :)
Just love these two, their relationship development is heartwarming and interesting to see.
Also shinobu's grandma isnt cold as her mother pointed out, she really cares and looks out for her.
Coming to the meijin match.
Harada sensei, this man knows no limits for his drive and passion. even after losing with a wide margin smiles like a man on a mission and just presses forward with that intense fiery look. And for the first time i am actually seeing him using his Doctor skills and that too for his karuta games xD
His wife is no less amazing. even though she doesnt understand a thing about the game, she goes all out on support.
Suo is the most mysterious complex character in this series no doubt. But one thing is clear he is a quiet badass and you can just feel he is not done yet, even though we found out his eye weakness. And as we see at at the end, even he has someone he wants to win for, same person he was trying to reach out on phone i guess, probably his mom?also have a feeling for that reason he was being lazy in the first two matches to delay them. Poor lady doesnt even know where to watch the matches,help her someone

The challengers made a big splash and put the title defenders on the edge but i do see a comeback
Thats one of the main reasons why i love this series, this is not just about the main characters, everything is spread & balanced out with other characters and story as well with really good development.
Next episode is gonna be a big one. cant wait :)
Feb 11, 2020 4:01 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Another perfect episode.
Feb 11, 2020 4:06 PM

May 2015
Another fantastic episode. Shinobu's always been one of my favorite characters, glad to get more insight into her
billybubFeb 11, 2020 4:49 PM
Feb 11, 2020 4:28 PM

Nov 2008
That scene with Inokuma opening her hands and having a golden spirit drift up and away bothered me - I hope that she didn't lose her baby...
Feb 11, 2020 5:00 PM
Mar 2018
Another great episode, with a lot of tension. I’m very happy that these characters have time to shine.
Feb 11, 2020 5:42 PM

Feb 2018
You people ship ChihayaxTaichi or ChihayaxArata, all of you don't know the good stuff. I ship ChihayaxShinobu's friendship because that the only thing that matters. Just look at them, so heartwarming....
Feb 11, 2020 6:04 PM

Dec 2014
chiakimagoto said:
These last 2 episodes make me love Suou and Shinobu so much more. Shinobu is so pretty, a graceful beauty....such a proud, lonely girl....it was so heartwarming to see Chihaya give her the support she was in such need of.

Haruka San is awaiting a third child, what a lovely touching moment when she was resting....made me teary.

Harada Sensei wants that title so hard, Chihaya tattling about Suou's eyes still bothers me and Harass definitely didn't let that tip go to waste. Harada san couldn't have been more wrong about Suou: he also wants to please someone.....

Great and episode on the whole and this pretty much seconds my thoughts about this episode.

Harada-sensei's determination was a sight to behold.
Feb 11, 2020 9:51 PM

Nov 2007
Wakamiya Shinobu.

The true Queen of Karuta!

No one understands the cards better than her. No one cherishes the cards more than her. She is not lonely. She is the strongest because she has the cards.

And

Suou-meijin.

Remember the name befitting the title!

Remember when he bumped on the bicycles placed on the racks next to the sidewalk and people were laughing at him? His incredible hearing ability probably picked up everything they said about him.

I still feel so disappointed whenever I am reminded that Chihaya's dark emotions got the better of her and led her to reveal such a terrible thing about Suou-meijin. Not only that, she even started hating him for making a phone call just before the match making her think that he takes the matches lightly. There is a story behind every story, Chihaya! Why did you do that? It hurts!

Oh, Harada-sensei, little did you know, when you said "Unlike you I have someone I want to please." or anyone for the matter why Suou-meijin is the undisputed Meijin and the most deserving one of them all to bear the title.

This is when I truly started admiring both the Queen and the Meijin. And I started rooting for them to defend their titles. I know that not everything would go as I wanted but I still wanted to root for both of them after these reveals.

Oh, God! Why do I have to wait for the next episode for so long!

Also, Inokuma Haruka-san will be having a third child! And I know what it will lead to! So, I am so hoping that it gets animated in the future (fingers' crossed) because I absolutely broke down in tears! One of my favourite moments of the entire manga! T_T

I also feel sorry for Arata's porridge as the poor thing slid down his spoon! <3

Also, Rion<3!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 11, 2020 10:02 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Awesome episode! Stellar buildup on both fronts from the previous episodes!

Shinobu-chan's little lapse of concentration there was painful to watch, honestly. "Am I not supposed to be strongest now then?" really dug deep in me. Looks like the Grandma is not as nonchalant as she thought though but not even keeping tabs with this event in advance says a lot. Really strong state of mind to break free from those shackles in due time as well, she really is an incredible fighter and props to Chihaya for the light push. Chihaya x Shinobu is strong, lads!

Shinobu-chan's connection with her cards though, just wow! She's the current unbeaten Queen for a reason. Sakurazawa-sensei in complete awe as a result, no wonder. Everyone's literally battling but she's focused elsewhere, almost gives you that kind of vibe.

Inokuma-san is awaiting a third child, meanwhile! Woah, at first when she was like "I want to make a miracle and prove that one can be Queen despite having three children" got me confused but it all finally adds up now. Again, amazing how she's battling despite this. I've a feeling it's down to a matter of time before her energy saps out, however.

"Shinobu-chan, let's show them our strength. The one who will be controlled are not us." - god, this was so freakin' badass with the meijin striking and Shinobu-chan all set to fire back! Suou-meijin really is a formidable opponent wrecking through in the middle of nowhere to clinch a 17 point surge. But that's not enough to take down Harada-sensei hehe, even more so now that he's looking to impress someone. How very intriguing indeed!

An interesting little peak into Suou-meijin's private life as well. It's hard to make out exactly what's up there so here's to hoping we'll get more of that in the coming episodes, now that he seems to be in a pinch. Jeez, he literally even broke a sweat! Hype!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 11, 2020 10:40 PM

Nov 2013
At this point I don’t really care too much about who becomes queen. As in, I’ll be happy with either, they’ve both been getting really good development and honestly it’s just too hard to root for only one person, they both have such good reasons to want to win and it’s too hard for me to pick just one person, more so since they’ve both been queen before anyway.

However, Harada better win the god damn master match or I swear to god I’m gonna be so upset! I’m so emotionally invested right now, I really want Harada to take this, he deserves to be master, at least once! I might actually cry if he doesn’t get this.
LOL, your opinion is wrong!
Feb 12, 2020 1:11 AM

Mar 2012
I am really touched with this episode! I really want Harada-sensei and Inokuma to win but in the other hand I admire both Suou-san and Wakamiya.

Btw, Inokuma is an amazing character, she inspires me a lot. Beeing a mom and still wanting to follow your dreams is not always so easy. I hope everything will be fine with her and her baby after this last match.
miharumiiFeb 12, 2020 1:15 AM
Feb 12, 2020 2:55 AM
Apr 2018
shanimebib said:
Wakamiya Shinobu.

No one understands the cards better than her. No one cherishes the cards more than her. She is not lonely. She is the strongest because she has the cards.

And

Suou-meijin.

Remember the name befitting the title!

Remember when he bumped on the bicycles placed on the racks next to the sidewalk and people were laughing at him? His incredible hearing ability probably picked up everything they said about him.

I still feel so disappointed whenever I am reminded that Chihaya's dark emotions got the better of her and led her to reveal such a terrible thing about Suou-meijin. Not only that, she even started hating him for making a phone call just before the match making her think that he takes the matches lightly. There is a story behind every story, Chihaya! Why did you do that? It hurts!

Oh, Harada-sensei, little did you know, when you said "Unlike you I have someone I want to please." or anyone for the matter why Suou-meijin is the undisputed Meijin and the most deserving one of them all to bear the title.

This is when I truly started admiring both the Queen and the Meijin. And I started rooting for them to defend their titles. I know that not everything would go as I wanted but I still wanted to root for both of them after these reveals.

Oh, God! Why do I have to wait for the next episode for so long!

Also, Inokuma Haruka-san will be having a third child! And I know what it will lead to! So, I am so hoping that it gets animated in the future (fingers' crossed) because I absolutely broke down in tears! One of my favourite moments of the entire manga! T_T

I also feel sorry for Arata's porridge as the poor thing slid down his spoon! <3

Also, Rion<3!

Suo is just like a onion, the more layers you peel you see more of hishidden sides and its always interesting.
He is trying so hard for so that his special someone can watch it and keeping quiet about it while others judge him. Feels bad for him at times.

Inokuma's third baby announcement was so surprising and adorable in a way how she wants proclaim herself as a motherly queen and she;s hanging in there inspite of her physical condition. Hats off to her.

Arata's cure is Karuta even porridge cant compete with that xD
Next episode is gonna be really amazing, especially when some special scenes are gonna be there. :3
Feb 12, 2020 4:03 AM
Aug 2018
I Hope Harada sensei wins 🥰🥰
Another perfect episode
Feb 12, 2020 7:19 AM

Sep 2017
Lol at old ppl not knowing what streaming is. But yeh the game are great too. I have some thoughts on how they should go, but I'll wait till they are over.
Feb 12, 2020 9:18 AM

Feb 2008
Ah, Harada's face of pure insanity.

The glance into the reigning queen's world was great too. It takes a special kind of person to rule over others int the world of karuta.
Feb 12, 2020 8:24 PM
Jun 2019
Dr. Harada has been my favorite from the beginning. He is warm, gentle, passionate, and one nasty karuta opponent. I really loved watching this intense match between the Master and Harada. I suspect the Master Suo will amp up and show us what a 4 time master looks like.

Poor Suo is badly misunderstood. I think he is a sweet sole and deserves more respect than he gets.

I think Shinobu finally decided she is through being lonely in this episode, and will become good friends with Chihaya.

My pick for winners, Harada and Shinobu. I think Harada will light a new love and passion for karuta for Suo, and he will end up not retiring and will be the challenger in next year, so he can play Harada again.

I'm kind of hoping Chihaya ends up with Suo now, more than Taichi. Those two odd balls would be good together.
LaneybeeFeb 12, 2020 8:30 PM
Feb 13, 2020 1:43 AM
Nov 2019
Chihaya keeps collecting scarves: first Suo's, now Shinobu's.

And it's the first time I don't know whom to root for. I'll be happy no matter who wins, though my bets are on Shinobu (who just learnt her lesson) and Harada (who might be about to teach Suo a lesson).
Feb 13, 2020 7:35 AM

Oct 2017
Really liked the moment where Chihaya and Shinobu smile at each other in the manga, wish they slowed it down just a bit here. Otherwise the episode was amazing again, Harada is so intense!
Feb 13, 2020 9:23 AM

Aug 2015
Harada-sensei has somehow become my favorite character. I never cared that much about who wins or loses, except when it comes to him. He's just so intense and I love it.
Feb 14, 2020 1:08 AM
Oct 2012
Shinobu and Chihaya moments were so sweet.

Not a manga first reader (I read the manga AFTER the anime), but I'm eager to find out what's driving Suo-meijin actions. Can't wait!

This series is a huge rollercoaster of emotions
Feb 14, 2020 10:22 PM

Jul 2009
All the "side" characters in this show are great. Tbh, though I can understand Chihaya wanting to go after Shinobu, her missing Harada's match really sits ill with me :( All of the players get their own moment to shine in this episode - Shinobu and her losing the second match and feeling alone, with her complicated feelings towards her grandmother, Inokuma being pregnant with her third child (!!!), Suou trying to get ... someone to watch him on TV (which I guess I'm kind of spoiled on since I've read the manga), and of course, Harada trying his darndest to beat him. Of course, out of all of them I'm rooting for Harada the most - he's using everything he's got to his advantage, and is certainly leveraging it for all he's got. However, Suou seems to have found some strength with him and Shinobu's titles on the line, and he's not Master for nothing. Unfortunately knowing the outcome kind of spoils me on the "who's going to win?!" part of watching this, but I still get swept up in the emotion of it all. I wonder where S3 will end with only a few more episodes left ...
Feb 15, 2020 3:37 AM

Feb 2011
Other intense matches coming from both the challengers and the champions: seeing Shinobu's insecurities doing during the match makes me feel sorry for her, thinking she should be the best since she's always alone and being alone would have made her stronger hearing the people around through almost all her life: it's so sweet seeing Chihaya having her back when Shinobu needed to support the most, very nice seeing Shinobu being back to her normal self while having a warm smile on her face: Chihaya and Shinobu's rivalry is really something else, really did bring a warm smile on my face. Inokuma struggling with her morning sickness during her important takes a lot of strength: hang in there.

Chihaya again jumping to conclusion about Suo's character, she took his words into a fact in her mind that he's a bad person; thinking he's seeing so little about his match while he was calling someone on his phone; even Harada viewed Suo's someone heartless, thinking that he's doesn't have anyone special in his life who supports him: at the end of the episode we have a hint who it is.

Arata watching the tournament online wasn't the same if he was in person, poor baby being sick sucks. -_- Oh yes, watching the tournament is what Arata needs to him to feel a bit better:@Kipo0007 true, karuta is Arata's best medicine, lol and yes the next episode.. oh get ready.. I'm getting all excited again, I can't wait. xD
Feb 15, 2020 7:49 AM

Jun 2016
I finally made it through the latest episode after watching the wholst s1 and 2 in days. 😭😭 Such a good episode. I wish to see a character development on Shinobu and Suou, they really seem so interesting so it makes me emotional to see Shinobu's struggles in this episode. I really love Chihaya's support to Shinobu (and their casualness to each other). Dr. Harada really is making his advances to Suou's weakness though, I wonder what would happen in the next episode that I've been itching to read the manga already... I can't wait!
Feb 15, 2020 5:08 PM

Nov 2007
@sweetangie: Nah, I don't mind seeing mai boi Arata wrapped in a futon. He is cuteness reincarnation. And I don't say that about many male characters.

He is right up there alongside Natsume Takashi, Asakura Towa, Ooji Mochizou, Suou Tamaki, Kazehaya Shouta, Matsuoka Shun, Allen Walker, Mikoshiba Mikoto, Souma Kyou, Yun and Harima Kenji!

We need more cute boys being cute in the industry - be it anime or manga!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 15, 2020 11:12 PM

Dec 2014
Damn this has been so much confusing yet something else too
Feb 16, 2020 9:17 AM

May 2016
Harada is all in on this match love his passion for Karuta.
Feb 19, 2020 6:06 AM

Nov 2016
shanimebib said:
Wakamiya Shinobu.

I absolutely love the bond Shinobu has with her cards, it's beyond precious. Great episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 15, 2020 8:06 AM

Oct 2013
Haruka is pregnant with her 3rd child! She has another motivation to win against Shinobu, though I root for Shinobu anyway. ;pp

Poor Arata... he catched a cold, but even if wrapped in futon he managed to find some strength to watch the finals streamed via the Internet.

@FMatron , agreed. Her bond with cards is special and that particular scene from which the picture you posted comes from proved it totally.
Apr 7, 2020 9:24 AM

Apr 2016
Shinobu's grandma pisses me off, with her shallow words of encouragement. Wow so Inokuma is pregnant with her third child and she's still playing karuta to top it off. Gotta hand it to her, doing that really takes courage.

Very intense episode. Emotions are running everywhere.
Mar 27, 2021 6:07 PM

Aug 2018
Go Harada-Sensei, good chapter and Shinobu recovered, let's see what she will do.
Jul 15, 2021 4:30 PM

Jul 2015
Didn't expect Inokuma to play while having the morning sickness of her third child. Seems Shinobu is back on top with some help from her friend Chihaya. Really thought Suo was messing around since he seemed calm while Harada is using his 'nasty' stategy but seeing that sweat drop makes me realise that probably isn't the case.

Oct 16, 2021 10:25 AM

Feb 2019
The tension! Go, Harada-sensei, go! Use all the tricks you have!

The friendship between Shinobu and Chihaya is heartwarming. I'm not sure whether Shinobu's grandmother is cold or not, but what's sad is that she doesn't know that it's being broadcast online. Guess she's been watching every year, but on TV.

Hanano and Tsukuba remembering Harada-sensei's tough teaching was hilarious though lol

I still can't call who'll win. Agh, who's going to win...
Aug 26, 2022 4:21 AM
Apr 2015
I love Harada-sensei.
Apr 24, 2023 6:12 AM

Jul 2016
Chihaya and Shinobu getting along as "friends" is really sweet. It'd be so awesome if the sashes Chihaya gave her ends up being wild major factor for a win.

Harada's style really is wild but I'm still rooting for the old dude, but at the same time I can tell Suo has something up his sleeve.

More topics from this board

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

19 by NiQ1 »»
Mar 21, 2:01 AM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Jan 14, 2020

126 by realfifi »»
Dec 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2019

105 by Katsu-kun »»
Aug 15, 2023 4:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.