Forum Settings
Forums

Coronavirus presents "grave threat" to world, WHO chief warns as death toll tops 1,000

New
Feb 11, 2020 4:33 AM

Jan 2009
With the death toll from the coronavirus at 1,017, the head of the World Health Organization gathered top scientists in Geneva on Tuesday to try and answer a raft of questions about the new disease. Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus issued a plea for global unity against "a common enemy that does not respect borders or ideologies."

The WHO said there were 42,708 confirmed cases of the disease in China alone, with 393 more in 24 different countries. That includes a new case confirmed Monday in San Diego, the 13 person diagnosed in the U.S. Like most cases, that patient was recently in the epicenter Chinese city of Wuhan. All but one of the fatalities from the virus have been in China.

"With 99% of cases in China, this remains very much an emergency for that country, but one that holds a very grave threat for the rest of the world," Tedros warned Tuesday, urging health officials and governments to "use the window of opportunity that we have now."

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-death-toll-infections-outbreak-evacuations-cruise-ship-latest-updates-2020-02-11/

so will WHO consider travel bans to China now then?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 11, 2020 4:34 AM

Jul 2012
my god. when will this stuff end? already surpassed SARS...
Feb 11, 2020 4:38 AM

Jan 2009
Mayuka said:

it will end when they made a vaccine so hopefully they focus more on that
Feb 11, 2020 6:08 AM

Oct 2017
''The party secretary for the Hubei Health Commission, and the head of the commission, were among those who lost their jobs.'' Where are the people defending how China is handling the situation?

''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Feb 11, 2020 7:45 AM

Feb 2019
People are already warned tho.
Feb 11, 2020 8:28 AM

Jul 2017
I would guess the death toll has already topped 10,000. I am just guessing because no one knows the real death toll, even the CCP. I'm just speaking with my information and experience interpreting CCP's behaviour as a Hong Kong person.

First of all, before CCP admit an outbreak has happened, all death cases of Coronavirus before that are not tested to be Coronavirus.

Secondly, in early days of the outbreak, hospitals in Wuhan are all quickly fulled and people are told to return home which had infected more people. If they died at home, they won't be tested to be Coronavirus.

Thirdly, After the CCP has realized it is impossible to cover it. They start quarantine suspected cases in places called "Square Hospital", which aren't really hospital. They are just concentration camp with no doctors and poor hygiene. People died there won't be counted to the death toll of Coronavirus because no proper test has conducted.

Fourthly, provincial government won't give the true number because it affects their record. It's a practice in China to pretend nothing has happened, from top to bottom. To make the matter worse, in order to peace the public, Xi Jinping actually said two weeks ago, that the spreading would peak at Jan,15 of Lunar Calendar. This is vastly untrue as most experts expect it to peak at April. This hugely reduce the incentive to give real death toll near that date as it might harm Xi's credibility.

Last but not least, the most important one, China do not have enough Coronavirus test box and medical staff to conduct the test, especially for the lower hospitals.

I've left Hong Kong 2 weeks ago when the WHO is still covering up for China. It's only a matter of time for it to spread to Hong Kong and it is very likely to be extracted and genetically edited at Wuhan P4 laboratory to be used as weapon. The world is not alert enough. Countries should stop flights to China and Hong Kong, maybe even Singapore because the incubation period is so freaking long. People should also keep safe distance with Asian foreigner, including me. It's not discrimination, everyone has to protect themselves to protect others.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The actual infected number can be roughly calculated. When Japan took their own people back. there were 3 cases among the first wave of 206 evacuees from Wuhan. Considering evacuees are generally people with a lot better personal hygiene and less connections comparing to average mainland Chinese, let's assume the percentage of infected is 5 out of 200, so 2.5%. 2.5% of 11 million Wuhan people is 275,000, using the 2% death rate provided by China (which is certainly fake), there would be at least 5500 people died. If the death rate is 5%, then there would be 10,000 people died in Wuhan people.

This is the math 2 weeks ago. The virus is all over China now, not just Wuhan.
nbyung09Feb 11, 2020 8:43 AM
Feb 11, 2020 9:00 AM

Mar 2011
deg said:
Mayuka said:

it will end when they made a vaccine so hopefully they focus more on that
Hopefully. There's alot to consider when this happens. Costs is the biggest thing (when it doesn't have to be), so we shall see how they organize this.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Feb 11, 2020 3:32 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
I love how something isn't considered a threat until it kills a certain number of people. Why we wait for the virus such milestones in the first place?

A few weeks ago people were laughing the moment you mentioned the coronavirus, saying bs like "meteors are deadlier" and WHO was strongly against limiting travel. But now that a thousand people died (again just the reported cases) nobody is comparing it to SARS or MERS anymore and "the flu is deadlier" meme is also dying. Next is the swine flu I guess but one should take preventive measures based on the potential threat rather than the current amount of damage taken.

WHO is a joke, the whole UN is a joke. They are so busy pleasing the CCP and thinking about money that they've forgot their one and only responsibility.
Feb 11, 2020 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
149597871 said:
I love how something isn't considered a threat until it kills a certain number of people. Why we wait for the virus such milestones in the first place?

A few weeks ago people were laughing the moment you mentioned the coronavirus, saying bs like "meteors are deadlier" and WHO was strongly against limiting travel. But now that a thousand people died (again just the reported cases) nobody is comparing it to SARS or MERS anymore and "the flu is deadlier" meme is also dying. Next is the swine flu I guess but one should take preventive measures based on the potential threat rather than the current amount of damage taken.

WHO is a joke, the whole UN is a joke. They are so busy pleasing the CCP and thinking about money that they've forgot their one and only responsibility.

How come the fatality rate outside Hubei province and specifically Wuhan is so much lower and it's already been several weeks so the argument of incubation period is much weaker. Could it be that there are many with symptoms not strong enough or simply no symptoms needed to get medical treatment? It's dishonest to go by the the most extreme outliers anyway. If anyone ever wants to have a decent discussion about this, they should go by median rate which is about a week from reports.

Anyway, there have been 476 cases outside China and only 2 deaths. Are countries outside China part of this massive cover up in your view? Could it be that the fatality rate is actually much lower than what you're thinking when all is said and done and it will lower markedly as more information comes out just like what happened with Swine Flu. People were freaking out about Swine Flu having a fatality rate much higher than what we have coronavirus at right now and guess what, it didn't turn out to be the case. It was purely from cherry picked data at a time in the pandemic where information was sparse.
Feb 11, 2020 4:36 PM

Mar 2008
adolfsax said:
Mayuka said:
It's seasonal flu, It will be considerably reduced during summer

Actually it's same virus genus as the common cold not the flu. Dry warm air helps reduce infection and spread of lung based viruses.

149597871 said:

The flu has a higher anual death toll at least so far and hopefully it wont stick around long enough or be as transmittable as the flu. SARS and MERS had a higher death rate among infected. The dilemma is this novel coronavirus spreads more easily than MERS or SARS did it appears. It's in the same virus genus as SARS and MERS and enters cells the same way SARS does so it would be ignorant not to compair.
Feb 11, 2020 8:51 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
traed said:

149597871 said:

The flu has a higher anual death toll at least so far and hopefully it wont stick around long enough or be as transmittable as the flu. SARS and MERS had a higher death rate among infected. The dilemma is this novel coronavirus spreads more easily than MERS or SARS did it appears. It's in the same virus genus as SARS and MERS and enters cells the same way SARS does so it would be ignorant not to compair.

So the flu is deadlier because it has a higher death toll but in the same time SARS is also deadlier because it has higher CFR? ROFL

At least be consistent if you are going to use a single criteria to determine how deadly a certain virus is.

There is a strong, almost undeniable evidence that it is far more easily transmittable than the flu. I don't think we can eradicate it at this point, at least not until we have a working vaccine.

You can compare these viruses, but despite their higher fatality rate neither SARS nor MERS are as dangerous as the COVID-19 because it is far less likely for them to result in a global pandemic. Yet some idiots were claiming this isn't the case by comparing the death tolls about a month ago and saying that SARS killed 100 times more people and how this novel corona virus isn't a big deal in comparison which definitely isn't the case.

HungryForQuality said:

How come the fatality rate outside Hubei province and specifically Wuhan is so much lower and it's already been several weeks so the argument of incubation period is much weaker. Could it be that there are many with symptoms not strong enough or simply no symptoms needed to get medical treatment? It's dishonest to go by the the most extreme outliers anyway. If anyone ever wants to have a decent discussion about this, they should go by median rate which is about a week from reports.

Anyway, there have been 476 cases outside China and only 2 deaths. Are countries outside China part of this massive cover up in your view? Could it be that the fatality rate is actually much lower than what you're thinking when all is said and done and it will lower markedly as more information comes out just like what happened with Swine Flu. People were freaking out about Swine Flu having a fatality rate much higher than what we have coronavirus at right now and guess what, it didn't turn out to be the case. It was purely from cherry picked data at a time in the pandemic where information was sparse.

So how high the CFR has to be in order to take a virus seriously? Last time I checked a anything higher than 0.1% fatality rate that is as contagious as this virus was considered very bad news and COVID-19's CFR is probably above 0.5%. The swine flu might have been exaggerated but it still ended up killing more than half a million people even with far lower fatality rate than the one estimated for the novel coronavirus.

2 deaths among 500 cases (bad way to calculate due to the death lag) is still terrible news.
149597871Feb 11, 2020 8:58 PM
Feb 11, 2020 9:06 PM

Mar 2008
149597871 said:
traed said:

So the flu is deadlier because it has a higher death toll but in the same time SARS is also deadlier because it has higher CFR? ROFL

At least be consistent if you are going to use a single criteria to determine how deadly a certain virus is.

There is a strong, almost undeniable evidence that it is far more easily transmittable than the flu. I don't think we can eradicate it at this point, at least not until we have a working vaccine.

You can compare these viruses, but despite their higher fatality rate neither SARS nor MERS are as dangerous as the COVID-19 because it is far less likely for them to result in a global pandemic. Yet some idiots were claiming this isn't the case by comparing the death tolls about a month ago and saying that SARS killed 100 times more people and how this novel corona virus isn't a big deal in comparison which definitely isn't the case.

HungryForQuality said:

So how high the CFR has to be in order to take a virus seriously? Last time I checked a anything higher than 0.1% fatality rate that is as easily transmissible as this virus was considered very bad news and COVID-19's CFR is probably above 0.5%. The swine flu might have been exaggerated but it still ended up killing more than half a million people even with far lower fatality rate than the one estimated for the novel coronavirus.

2 deaths among 500 cases (bad way to calculate due to the death lag) is still terrible news.

There isn't really universal way to measure deadliness so yes but to me it's also about a comination of the two. Worst case is an easily transmissible virus that has a high death rate among infected. So at this point it's on a level close to SARS in seriousness but not exceeding it at least for the time being since it hasn't killed that many more than SARS and still is showing a relatively lower death rate. It's a bit difficult to calculate potential infection and death count. I don't think calling it worse than SARS or MERS is productive to actually doing anything about it.

A vaccine isn't gauranteed to be made though because the media attention it may happen due to profitability. A vaccine hasn't even beem made for SARS or MERS. You're going to have to stick with standard protocal and the experimental methods I've theorized elsewhere for now.

Covid19 is what it's called now or is that just what they call it in Japan? I've only seen it called 2019 nCov (novel coronavirus it's short for).
Feb 11, 2020 9:33 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
traed said:
149597871 said:

So how high the CFR has to be in order to take a virus seriously? Last time I checked a anything higher than 0.1% fatality rate that is as easily transmissible as this virus was considered very bad news and COVID-19's CFR is probably above 0.5%. The swine flu might have been exaggerated but it still ended up killing more than half a million people even with far lower fatality rate than the one estimated for the novel coronavirus.

There isn't really universal way to measure deadliness so yes but to me it's also about a comination of the two. Worst case is an easily transmissible virus that has a high death rate among infected. So at this point it's on a level close to SARS in seriousness but not exceeding it at least for the time being since it hasn't killed that many more than SARS and still is showing a relatively lower death rate. It's a bit difficult to calculate potential infection and death count. I don't think calling it worse than SARS or MERS is productive to actually doing anything about it.

A vaccine isn't gauranteed to be made though because the media attention it may happen due to profitability. A vaccine hasn't even beem made for SARS or MERS. You're going to have to stick with standard protocal and the experimental methods I've theorized elsewhere for now.

Covid19 is what it's called now or is that just what they call it in Japan? I've only seen it called 2019 nCov (novel coronavirus it's short for).

Well, SARS can be considered eradicated and there's been less than 2500 confirmed cases of MERS so it's safe to say that the "necessity" of a vaccine is much lower. There's no vaccine for MERS though, that's true.

Either way underestimating the threat isn't very productive either. When comparing it to another virus you shouldn't use a single criteria. It's easy to manipulate people's perception of the virus by using death toll or CFR comparisons but in reality, a virus deadliness is a combination of factors and these are just two of them.

covid19 is apparently its new name. Coronavirus Disease 2019 which is somehow different from nCoV-2019 I guess but people were also calling it Wuhan coronavirus or Chinese coronavirus, etc. and the WHO doesn't want its name to refer to geographical locations in order to avoid unnecessary racism or xenophobia. It is silly considering that the two things that created this pandemic are CCP's incompetence and (allegedly) the lack of sanitation in Wuhan's wet market.
Feb 11, 2020 10:00 PM

Mar 2008
149597871 said:
traed said:

Well, SARS can be considered eradicated and there's been less than 2500 confirmed cases of MERS so it's safe to say that the "necessity" of a vaccine is much lower. There's no vaccine for MERS though, that's true.

Either way underestimating the threat isn't very productive either. When comparing it to another virus you shouldn't use a single criteria. It's easy to manipulate people's perception of the virus by using death toll or CFR comparisons but in reality, a virus deadliness is a combination of factors and these are just two of them.

covid19 is apparently its new name. Coronavirus Disease 2019 which is somehow different from nCoV-2019 I guess but people were also calling it Wuhan coronavirus or Chinese coronavirus, etc. and the WHO doesn't want its name to refer to geographical locations in order to avoid unnecessary racism or xenophobia. It is silly considering that the two things that created this pandemic are CCP's incompetence and (allegedly) the lack of sanitation in Wuhan's wet market.

There is probably a classification system professionals use for threat level or severity but im not sure how they do it and it probably differs by organization.

Virus names tend to be inconsistent anyway it's a non issue. It would be stupid to give names based on political motive anyway.
Feb 11, 2020 10:15 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
traed said:

It would be stupid to give names based on political motive anyway.

I absolutely agree, naming the virus after the one responsible for it or the geographical locations in which it first occurred is very stupid and bigoted.
Feb 11, 2020 10:19 PM

Mar 2008
149597871 said:
traed said:

It would be stupid to give names based on political motive anyway.

I absolutely agree, naming the virus after the one responsible for it or the geographical locations in which it first occurred is very stupid and bigoted.

You're missing the point and making a strawman. It's science not politics.
Feb 12, 2020 12:59 AM

Sep 2018
I think the Wu Flu is a good name for it. No one is going to remember the official name.
Feb 16, 2020 10:52 PM
Jul 2018
hoo boy i sure hope i do not contact coRONAVIRUS
Feb 17, 2020 12:44 PM

Jan 2019
Real talk, imma at least get a bit of a stockpile of water and dried food just in case.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Feb 17, 2020 4:28 PM

Mar 2008
QPR said:
I think the Wu Flu is a good name for it. No one is going to remember the official name.

It's not related to the flu it's related to the cold.
Feb 17, 2020 11:58 PM

May 2013
Look as long as it doesn't turn them into zombies i'm not actually too worried.

I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Feb 18, 2020 11:39 PM

Jun 2008
Welp, we’re up to almost 2,000 now.

Aaaaand that’s that those numbers are generally thought up as “low” seeing as it’s the Chinese Government (who make shit up and are liars) are the ones saying it.

Feb 19, 2020 3:40 AM
Apr 2019
Yeah it's being overblown. Just to give some stats about the death rate, the most vulnerable population of people are 80+ with a death rate of 14.6% according to a journal of epidemiology based on 70~k cases, for the vast majority of people <40, the fatality rate is ~0.2%, with that number being predominantly made up of people with pre-existing health issues. Yes, over 2000 people have died, but I believe not even 5 of them have been outside of China and I believe that of those, they were only elderly people. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to catch it and I believe it IS a threat, but the media is blowing it out of proportion like all mildly threatening things because it is an easy story. Terrorism and viruses are ALWAYS exaggerated by the media.

There is a reason why the media is not giving all the statistics or all the information regarding the disease, they are focusing on numbers like the amount infected and the amount dead, not the amount survived or the infection rate, and who is actually vulnerable because they want to make this look like it is something deadly to everyone. If you catch this virus, you will not die, unless it mutates or you have a medical condition. Really, the only thing to fear is the health of your elderly relatives above 80 or younger relatives under 9. It's easy to cry about China cause communism, but the hospital they built was legit and they are acting effectively since they took action. But the virus is no longer simply isolated in China so saying they are lying about statistics (while possible) does not explain how pretty much all cases outside the country have been non fatal. While I can't say for sure that China isn't lying about their situation, they have foreign aid who aren't whistle blowing about conditions so if they are I doubt they are severely false. I'd sooner believe that people are exaggerating the condition because of the media's portrayal of the virus.

This virus is only a threat due to its infection rate, particularly through super spreaders. This is not a highly lethal disease if more than 1/5 people over 80 can survive it and if only 2 out of a thousand people will die to it. People seem to act/think that if you get the coronavirus, you are dead. This is definitely not the case.
Feb 23, 2020 6:02 AM

Oct 2008
I honestly think that this thing is overblown.
Like the pig and bird flu was.
I remember people were scared even in the middle of europe because of those.
This is still only a fraction of people that die every year due to "common" flu.
Feb 23, 2020 8:52 AM

Jul 2014
Kinda yeah, if you do get infected by the wuhan virus there's a very low chance of you dying, whats scary is how fast it spreads and how it doesn't have antibiotics.
Not having a cure of a virus/disease is scary, its like the unknown hence the panic around it.
Feb 23, 2020 11:33 AM

Sep 2014
should we still stay calm? is flu still worse?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.