Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 10, 2020 5:30 PM
Feb 10, 2020 5:33 PM

May 2008
Sub, I doubt I'll ever find a dubbed vhs or dvd of this this in 2020.
Aug 22, 2020 5:26 PM
Feb 2018
The dub has some hilarious moments of localization that are worth hearing if you have any nostalgia for 90s anime dubs. My favorite is a part where the students are cleaning the school. The dub adds a loudspeaker voice announcing that the Janitors are on strike. Apparently the concept of Japanese students being responsible for cleaning the school is too much for 90s kids. XD
Aug 22, 2020 5:49 PM

Jun 2007
I definitely found the show to be more entertaining dubbed. The liberal scripting keeps the overall story intact, even though many lines and conversations are entirely changed. It's one of the earliest works by ADR director Steven Foster for ADV, who went on to direct the well-known Ghost Stories dub and other infamous rewrite-filled dubs like Orphen, the second half of Sorcerer Hunters, Those Who Hunt Elves S1 eps 7-12, and E's Otherwise. Perhaps he felt he could get away with more in the VHS era, when viewers were unlikely to have both languages available without spending a lot more money. Though he also directed some dubs in the modern/Sentai era, like Highschool of the Dead ("Who does she think she is, fuckin' Sarah Palin?") and Guin Saga.

Here's one example of a conversation from Generator Gawl ep 01:

Sub said:

Masami's Mother: You left it lying around, so of course I washed it.
Masami: I was going to wear it. That's why I left it out. Don't go barging into my room!
Mother: Don't leave things on the floor. You're working today, who cares what you wear?
Masami: This afternoon I'm going out with Natsume!
Mother: Well, if it's just Natume then it's okay. It's not like you're meeting some boy or anything.
Masami: You never know, someone might come up and talk to me. A lot of guys like me, you know?
Mother: What? I didn't hear what you said.
Masami: I'm not as unpopular as you think. You have no confidence in your own daughter. And I try so hard.
Masami: I'm leaving! I'm late, I'm late, I'm late! I'm going to be late for work!

Dub said:
Masami's Mother: Don't bother me right now Masami, I'm meditating.
Masami: It's my job, mother! You can't call in sick, I'm not sick!
Mother: I just don't think it's a good idea with that stalker around. They say he only stalks fast-food employees!
Masami: No one is gonna stalk me, mother!
Mother: Now don't say that, honey. I'm sure you're stalking material.
Masami: God, mother, I can't believe we're having this conversation! Sometimes I swear I think I'm adopted.
Mother: I heard that, darling.
Masami: Just hang in there, because soon you'll be on your own. "Now don't you say that honey, I'm sure you're stalking material." That woman is insane, she's crazy.
Mother (added) : And I've got yoga, so I can't take you to work!
Masami: I can't believe her! I'm gonna be so late they're gonna kill me! This day sucks!

Yup said:
Sub, I doubt I'll ever find a dubbed vhs or dvd of this this in 2020.
Any DVDs you find would have both languages, and some used copies are selling for surprisingly reasonable prices for an out-of-print 2002(!) collection. Of course, the illegal options would have both languages as well.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Generator Gawl Episode 2 Discussion

VARIAchan - Apr 4, 2010

2 by LadyStardust97 »»
Aug 10, 2022 12:19 PM

Poll: » Generator Gawl Episode 1 Discussion

VARIAchan - Apr 4, 2010

2 by Ero-Camel »»
Aug 18, 2019 8:39 AM

Poll: » Generator Gawl Episode 12 Discussion

VARIAchan - Apr 6, 2010

6 by syncrogazer »»
Jul 14, 2019 9:02 PM

Poll: » Generator Gawl Episode 8 Discussion

VARIAchan - Apr 6, 2010

1 by BlaizeV »»
Jan 22, 2019 11:28 AM

Poll: » Generator Gawl Episode 6 Discussion

VARIAchan - Apr 5, 2010

1 by BlaizeV »»
Jan 21, 2019 4:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.