Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Kyokou Suiri Episode 5 Discussion

Feb 9, 11:07 AM

This series makes me excited more and more. Like Kuro and Saki =))

Feb 9, 12:55 PM

Two wildly different but equally interesting halves to this week's episode. Kuro's backstory of how he got his powers was pretty messed up, though I'm a little surprised that he was tricked into it essentially: from the way the yokai reacted to his presence in earlier episodes, it seemed like he had willingly gone out of his way to kill and consume the yokai he did.

As for the other half of the episode, using the Internet as a catalyst for the development of a malevolent spirit is a really clever way to bring such fantastical, monstrous beings into the modern age; it makes the connection between the past and present feel entirely seamless, which is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

Feb 9, 1:09 PM
I’m just gonna say it. Kotoko’s obsession with Kuro is really creepy. I seem to be in the minority with this opinion but jfc I cannot stomach their “relationship”. I love everything else about this anime but the way it tries to portray all that stalking, harassment and possessiveness as “cute” is pretty gross.

Feb 9, 2:12 PM

Damn, the beginning of this episode was really dark. I really didn't expect Kuro's background to be that awful and bleak.

I find it sad that Kotoko seems really care for Kuro but he doesn't seem to reciprocate it all. I hope they become closer because she completely accepts him and understands him on a level like no other person in the world could.

I love the idea that the human imagination gives power to these entities and creates the things we're most scared of, especially since I believe that to be quite true.

Feb 9, 2:43 PM
kingaron3 said:
J891319 said:
had no idea Kuro-san was so old. would be interesting to see what he got up to before now in the present day.

More then a few people seem to be confused about this so this to be explained. Kuro is not that all, he's 24, his ancestor is the one that started the experiment and it was just continuously passed the generations until we get to Kuro and his grandma. Kuro was 11 I think when he ate the meat so it has only bee 12 years since he ate the meat. I guess people saw the more traditional cloths his family wore and thought he was alive before WWII or something.

White_Hollow said:
Kurou could have been more badass in the fight if he learned a martial art or something. But, i guess i was asking for too much.

Anyway, i guess the pieces have started to come together and this case is going to be over soon. I hope we get to see nanase's face or smth. It's poor of her to not have a face :(

We've already seen Nanase's face in fact she got a whole opening in the anime, she was the busty idol that they were talking about. We will see it a lot next episode.

well that just doesn't make sense.
how is it "immortality" if his ancestors have died before him to pass it down. or are they all still alive somewhere. What's your source?
Also, he's referred to as "Kuro" in the flashback and looks exactly like him.
Modified by J891319, Feb 9, 4:09 PM

Feb 9, 4:18 PM

J891319 said:
how is it "immortality" if his ancestors have died before him to pass it down. or are they all still alive somewhere. What's your source?

I'm sorry, but what? They never said that his immortality was passed down to him by his ancestors, but it was by luckily surviving the two meat he ate. I don't understand how you got into that conclusion? Also not sure if it was said in the anime, but in the manga, if you eat mermaid meat, you're supposed to stay in the form of whatever age you ate it, so Kuro was supposed to stay as an 11-year old boy. But since he ate the other meat, it cancelled out, so he continued aging. With that, with how old his appearance now, he can't be really old at all, just around a young adult.

J891319 said:

That's because it is him?
Modified by jd2001z, Feb 9, 4:21 PM

Feb 9, 4:37 PM
jd2001z said:
J891319 said:

I'm sorry, but what? They never said that his immortality was passed down to him by his ancestors, but it was by luckily surviving the two meat he ate. I don't understand how you got into that conclusion? Also not sure if it was said in the anime, but in the manga, if you eat mermaid meat, you're supposed to stay in the form of whatever age you ate it, so Kuro was supposed to stay as an 11-year old boy. But since he ate the other meat, it cancelled out, so he continued aging. With that, with how old his appearance now, he can't be really old at all, just around a young adult.

J891319 said:

That's because it is him?

yeah, exactly, I agree with you. look at the post I'm replying to. he says it wasn't him.

Feb 9, 4:40 PM

J891319 said:
yeah, exactly, I agree with you. look at the post I'm replying to. he says it wasn't him.

Ohhh. I think he was talking about how his ancestor "passed down" the experiments, not the immortality. It didn't really succeed until Kuro, after all.

Feb 9, 4:42 PM
jd2001z said:
J891319 said:

Ohhh. I think he was talking about how his ancestor "passed down" the experiments, not the immortality. It didn't really succeed until Kuro, after all.

yeah that's what I thought. guess this is just a misunderstanding. so is Kuro only in his 20s or is he older? not so clear on that.

Feb 9, 4:50 PM

J891319 said:
yeah that's what I thought. guess this is just a misunderstanding. so is Kuro only in his 20s or is he older? not so clear on that.

Like @kingaron3 said, he's 24. Kotoko first met Kuro when he was 20, then they finally actually talked two years later. After that, they got into a "relationship", which went on for 2 years, so now he's 24 years old.

Feb 9, 4:56 PM
jd2001z said:
J891319 said:

Like @kingaron3 said, he's 24. Kotoko first met Kuro when he was 20, then they finally actually talked two years later. After that, they got into a "relationship", which went on for 2 years, so now he's 24 years old.

okay, that makes sense. I guess I was thrown off by his traditional household in the flashback and the black and white style. made me think it was longer ago.

Feb 9, 4:57 PM
J891319 said:
kingaron3 said:

More then a few people seem to be confused about this so this to be explained. Kuro is not that all, he's 24, his ancestor is the one that started the experiment and it was just continuously passed the generations until we get to Kuro and his grandma. Kuro was 11 I think when he ate the meat so it has only bee 12 years since he ate the meat. I guess people saw the more traditional cloths his family wore and thought he was alive before WWII or something.

We've already seen Nanase's face in fact she got a whole opening in the anime, she was the busty idol that they were talking about. We will see it a lot next episode.

The ancestor is the old man, not the kid who put the stick through his hand. That kid is Kuro who was 11( I think) at the time.

It makes sense because the person who stared the experiments was his ancestor, this ancestor did not become immortal. How it went down is that his ancestor wanted the predict the future so he could gain money and power. So he decided to get Kudan meat in order to feed it to his servants because the Kudan is able to predict the future and then die. After feeding the meet to his servants he got varying levels of failure from the experiment. Some people would die the instants they ate the meat, others would get sick and then die, and finally, some would predict the future and then die. The problem was that once people would predict the future they would die and couldn't predict any more futures. So the ancestor got frustrated and came up with the idea of combining the powers of Kudan and Mermaid meat because legend has it that if you eat the meat of a mermaid you will gain immortality. Once he started making people eat both types of meat the mortality rate dropped drastically. The ancestor who performed these experiments died, presumably of old age. Then the experiment was passed down the generations until we get to Kuro's grandma, who feeds him and his other young relatives both the Kudan and mermaid meat. As far as the anime has shown you there was only one survivor and this was Kuro who was 11, I think. Kuro is not over 50 years old he is only 24, his family just wore very traditional clothes.

My evidence was this episode and chapter 4 of the manga. I have read the manga I know this stuff.

Feb 9, 4:59 PM
kingaron3 said:
J891319 said:

The ancestor is the old man, not the kid who put the stick through his hand. That kid is Kuro who was 11( I think) at the time.

It makes sense because the person who stared the experiments was his ancestor, this ancestor did not become immortal. How it went down is that his ancestor wanted the predict the future so he could gain money and power. So he decided to get Kudan meat in order to feed it to his servants because the Kudan is able to predict the future and then die. After feeding the meet to his servants he got varying levels of failure from the experiment. Some people would die the instants they ate the meat, others would get sick and then die, and finally, some would predict the future and then die. The problem was that once people would predict the future they would die and couldn't predict any more futures. So the ancestor got frustrated and came up with the idea of combining the powers of Kudan and Mermaid meat because legend has it that if you eat the meat of a mermaid you will gain immortality. Once he started making people eat both types of meat the mortality rate dropped drastically. The ancestor who performed these experiments died, presumably of old age. Then the experiment was passed down the generations until we get to Kuro's grandma, who feeds him and his other young relatives both the Kudan and mermaid meat. As far as the anime has shown you there was only one survivor and this was Kuro who was 11, I think. Kuro is not over 50 years old he is only 24, his family just wore very traditional clothes.

My evidence was this episode and chapter 4 of the manga. I have read the manga I know this stuff.

yeah that makes sense. I thought you were saying that Kuro in the flashback wasn't him. I see you meant the old man.

Feb 9, 6:12 PM
Anybody make a connection to the show Supernatural and the episode with the ghostfacers and the tulpa? If you have it actually makes a decent line up of how they might kill the steel lady. In there they made the rumor contain a way to get rid of her "though it didn't quite work due to the ghostfacers being idiots". No idea if that's what their going to do here but it lines up quite well.

Feb 10, 2:13 AM

Kuro's background was a tragic. Although I already understood that most immortal character always have a few screw loose, but this time, it's not really his fault he became a defect human being.

Feb 10, 5:53 AM

JiangHaoyi1979 said:
So is that girl from the flashback , Saki?????

Nope, that's his older cousin aka

JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Next ep will be solving Nanase's murder....

Nope, the next episode will mostly just about talking.

Feb 10, 7:12 AM

The internet, the solution to the many problems in life, but also the cause of many problems to begin with...

Either way, this episode was very good. The fight between Kuro and Nanase was bloody, but it also showed just how brutal Kuro can be with the way he fights. However, this fight was a stalemate, of Kotoko did the right thing to call out to Kuro, which ended the fight for now.

This scene also finally confirmed that Kotoko and Kuro ARE dating. Despite that, Kuro doesn't look too pleased at all, but Kotoko's jealousy makes her look so damn cute! X3

The backstory of Kuro and how he acquired his powers was pretty sad, though. His ancestors were so hell bent on making their dreams come true that so many lives around them were sacrificed so often. =(

Either way, this plan of taking down Nanase is the best one they have, but it won't be easy. The dialogue for this episode has been informative, but also amusing, so I hope that continues into the next episode, too. It's one of the charms that I like about this series. =D

Feb 10, 2:40 PM
Casul Anime Fan

Aside from episode 2, this show has been REALLY GOOD...holy moly! It's a breath of fresh air to not have high school students as main characters. Kuro, so far is such a cool MC to watch and that's because I'm tired of watching beta male MCs

I'm also enjoying the banter going on between Saki and Kotoko and Kuro and Kotoko. Also, a female MC who doesn't have a hard time expressing her feelings? Wah? What travesty is this?

Rating for this episode: 5/5
Original Overall Rating before this episode: 8/10
New Overall Rating after this episode: 8.6/10

Feb 10, 2:53 PM
三葉

This boi has still not moved on from Saki hasn't he? the sexual tension those 2 were emitting especially when Saki just gave him a can of coffee. Kotoko's interesting with her witty interactions with characters like Saki and Kuro but damn... I just cant see her and Kuro getting it on unlike Saki X Kuro.
That aside that was a pretty savage like fight but the animation wasnt any good at all. For a moment I thought Steel Lady Nanase was just a figment of imagination, turns out it really was like that in a way, caused by the internet people who spread rumors got her to exist at a faster rate due to already having an image portrayed on her existance. Pretty exciting shit, can't wait how this all wraps up. I kinda feel bad for Kuro, dude looks like he's being forced to get into a relationship with Kotoko, I don't know if that's just his way of poking fun at her but if what he says has no deeper meaning than damn.. I can't really blame Saki for this, Kuro ain't normal and not a lot of people can come into terms with someone whom you were planning to make a family with turns out he can regenerate parts of his body and show no signs of pain or anything, thats pretty scary. I did like how she's able to casually joke about the Kappa yokai thing with Kuro tho. Girl is probably slowly getting used to yokai's.
Modified by -Stray, Feb 10, 2:57 PM

Feb 10, 8:19 PM

it's so fun seeing Iwanaga getting worked-up because the two met! exbf/exgf! lolz!
4/5.

Feb 10, 8:55 PM

Feb 11, 2:01 AM

Damn the story of steel lady Nanase got way more interesting after this episode. Also lol Kotoko was smug as usual.
Gray, Rave, Crave, Deprave.
Grave me,
Grave for you.

Feb 11, 10:01 PM

Well, guess fighting sequences aren't this series' forte. If that wacky choreography can even be considered as a fight, that is...

That aside, it was another quite interesting episode. Kurou's past was finally revealed and damn, it was quite fucked up.
We also learnt more about Nanase's spirit and her origin. So as expected, her powers come from that site dedicated to her as well as from the rumors that run from mouth to mouth in the city. Honestly, I found this way of creating spirits quite clever and intriguing so now, I'm even more interested in knowing how Kotoko and co. will use this same method to counter her.

And on a side note, I honestly was expecting something more from the trio in terms of interactions but they jumped straight to the detective stuff. Maybe next episode.

Feb 12, 2:22 AM

This is quite interesting, especially Kuro's backstory!

SouthRzVa said:
Well, guess fighting sequences aren't this series' forte. If that wacky choreography can even be considered as a fight, that is...
Maybe that's why I enjoy this anime so much. I hate fight scenes and action so lol, I ended up enjoying this a lot more than I expected!

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

anime recs: nodame cantabile | shinsekai yori | chihayafuru | space brothers

Feb 12, 5:05 PM
SouthRzVa said:

That aside, it was another quite interesting episode. Kurou's past was finally revealed and damn, it was quite fucked up.
We also learnt more about Nanase's spirit and her origin. So as expected, her powers come from that site dedicated to her as well as from the rumors that run from mouth to mouth in the city. Honestly, I found this way of creating spirits quite clever and intriguing so now, I'm even more interested in knowing how Kotoko and co. will use this same method to counter her.

And on a side note, I honestly was expecting something more from the trio in terms of interactions but they jumped straight to the detective stuff. Maybe next episode.

I really wouldn't call it a spirit since it's not a ghost.

Feb 12, 6:12 PM

kingaron3 said:
SouthRzVa said:

I really wouldn't call it a spirit since it's not a ghost.

Ghost, spirit, spectre, entity, monster, projection, youkai, ayakashi, etc. I wasn't really thinking in an specific label.

Feb 13, 2:30 AM

Kurou's backstory was sick, I loved it.

Things are getting interesting

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha

Feb 13, 12:29 PM

I really enjoyed this episode, its probably my favourite of the series so far. Each episode gets better, I hope this keeps up but this anime could be really fucking great.

Is it also just me who really wants Kuro and Saki to get back together? I doubt it would happen but if it did at the ending or something this series would be so much of a better ride

Feb 14, 6:07 AM

Wow, Kuro's background is creepy. So, the internet is the main villain of this arc!!!
Modified by Nurguburu, Feb 14, 6:24 AM
Life has no meaning.

Feb 15, 7:23 AM
Seijatachiiii said:
Is it also just me who really wants Kuro and Saki to get back together? I doubt it would happen but if it did at the ending or something this series would be so much of a better ride

You are not alone. Unfortunately it won't happen.

Yesterday, 1:29 PM

The internet is a dangerous place...and damn I didn't think Kurou would actually be that old. I thought he was a kid in modern times and became what he is. Boy he has quite the fucked up family.

9 hours ago

Meigetsu said:
Saki is best girl for me, I wish her and Kuro never broked up

Totally agree. I hope they'll be together sometime.

1 hour ago

ok so steel lady nanase is just a creepypasta come to life
precure ~ smile charge!

Pages (2) « 1 [2]