Forum Settings
Forums

illegitimate scores given by legitimate users [interspecies]

New
Feb 6, 2020 9:01 AM
Aug 2019
Reply from admin
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=245618&show=4750#msg59087935

And on what basis ? are you questioning the legitimacy of what users like and don't I'm sorry do you think you know better than the individuals what they like
IF
and I mean IF you are going to change scores tomorrow
"illegitimate scores given by legitimate users"
then you should change ratings for ALL OTHER ANIME as well
based on that, you'll be no different from rotten tomatoes, if people like the show let them vote high
How is that basis for ANYTHING
IF you are going to change votes based on that then you better change ratings of ALL OTHER ANIME out there bc someguy voted FMA B 10 that might not be true, or other anime 1

A not very well known youtuber posted for jokes to rate this high on THEIR TWITTER they didn't even make a video
the tweet has less than 2k likes and 300 retweets and you think that some person saying another thing on a whole different platform is brigading ? wtf
I'm questioning your judgement here.
that way we can relate any two unrelated things together as well why not do that
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 6, 2020 9:14 AM
Feb 2020
Nux Taku did make a video though and he did ask to rate it 10/10
but it not like he asked to make bot/ multiple accounts or to downvote an other anime
Feb 6, 2020 9:18 AM

Oct 2013
MAL admins have gone mad with power, it's the only explanation.
Feb 6, 2020 9:20 AM

Nov 2016
I think I will have to change the Quote on my Forum signature before they think I was involved in this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2020 9:24 AM

May 2016
Touma_Mikoto said:
but it not like he asked to make bot/ multiple accounts or to downvote an other anime
People need to stop listening to these anime YouTubers. These Anime YouTubers need to stop using their followers to do stuff like this.
Feb 6, 2020 9:25 AM
Feb 2020
Afloo said:
I think I will have to change the Quote on my Forum signature before they think I was involved in this.

but that is such a good quote

"The more popular an anime becomes, the larger the fan base becomes. The larger the fan base becomes, the more weirdos are in the fan base. The more weirdos with louder voices..." -NuxTaku, 2019

also I think only users that joined yesterday/today (like me) would be in "danger"
Feb 6, 2020 9:27 AM
Feb 2020
Reshiram_IX said:
Touma_Mikoto said:
People need to stop listening to these anime YouTubers. These Anime YouTubers need to stop using their followers to do stuff like this.

it is not like the Nux Taku fans did not choose themselves to vote it 10/10 or not
Nux Taku only made people aware you can do that and about this website
Feb 6, 2020 9:30 AM

Nov 2016
Touma_Mikoto said:
Afloo said:

but that is such a good quote

"The more popular an anime becomes, the larger the fan base becomes. The larger the fan base becomes, the more weirdos are in the fan base. The more weirdos with louder voices..." -NuxTaku, 2019

also I think only users that joined yesterday/today (like me) would be in "danger"
Funny enough, I think that quote kind of reflects on what has happened to Nux's channel after his "Biggest Flexes in Anime" series and all the growth it brought him.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2020 9:35 AM

Aug 2015
Touma_Mikoto said:
Reshiram_IX said:

it is not like the Nux Taku fans did not choose themselves to vote it 10/10 or not

Anyone using their platform to promote something or saying that they want something/people to do something has the responsibility weigh primarily on the promoter's shoulders. If you see someone you hate in a crowd and you point them out to your million followers, you have become the leader of that mob. You would be responsible for the actions ensuing as that group's leader.
Feb 6, 2020 9:37 AM
Mar 2019
I have no idea who NuxTaku even is.
I'm rating it 10/10 because I want to.

Spite for Funimation and some sections of the western anime community may be involved as well.
The point is, that doesn't make my vote any less legitimate. Browse reviews for any shows and you will see people giving high and low scores for completely personal reasons as well. Like giving a low score to anime that in the user's eye mishandles a particular subject matter.

I and a number of people (though a small number compared to this) gave 1/10 to Kemono Friends Season 2 not only because it was bad but also because of how Kadokawa tretated the first anime's staff. Is that "illegitimate" too?
Feb 6, 2020 9:38 AM

Feb 2020
Not all these scores are illegitimate though - I made a MAL account just to cast my vote on this, and in my review I plainly stated that I gave this a 10 not because it's perfect, but because it feels necessary. There are a lot of good lessons about healthy sexual attitudes in this show, and the seemingly intended audience is young folk (read: late teens. That's pretty damn young to me, as an oldtaku) that need those lessons the most - for my part, I feel my vote is one for the betterment of sexual health among young anime fans, and I wholeheartedly endorse the placing of such media on a pedestal. Any anime that can affect positive change in the real world is a 10 for me.
Feb 6, 2020 9:40 AM

Jan 2018
Afloo said:

How do I add a quote? If you don't mind helping me.
Feb 6, 2020 9:40 AM
Aug 2019
DaraSilverDragon said:
Not all these scores are illegitimate though - I made a MAL account just to cast my vote on this, and in my review I plainly stated that I gave this a 10 not because it's perfect, but because it feels necessary. There are a lot of good lessons about healthy sexual attitudes in this show, and the seemingly intended audience is young folk (read: late teens. That's pretty damn young to me, as an oldtaku) that need those lessons the most - for my part, I feel my vote is one for the betterment of sexual health among young anime fans, and I wholeheartedly endorse the placing of such media on a pedestal. Any anime that can affect positive change in the real world is a 10 for me.

well now admins gonna remove your shit cause they feel like it
real nice logic ... from the admins
Feb 6, 2020 9:41 AM

May 2016
DaraSilverDragon said:
Sure not all of them, but a large majority of them are
Feb 6, 2020 9:42 AM

Apr 2015
My 10 is legit. Do they want a fucking review or something to prove it? Because I can do that. Don't weigh me less with almost five years on the site because I don't conform to the norm.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 6, 2020 9:43 AM
May 2019
Reshiram_IX said:
Touma_Mikoto said:

Nux Taku is literally the cringiest Person alive for thinking he's funny in any way doing this.
Feb 6, 2020 9:44 AM

Oct 2015
From the moment that someone increases their score to 10 OR creates an account specifically to rate it a 10 because SOMEONE ELSE asked them to do so, that's the case of legitimate accounts with illegitimate scores, because as of right now the mean score of Ishuzoku Reviewers on MAL does not represent the true community consensus on the show - and I reiterate, precisely because most people did not rate it a 10 because they genuinely thought the series deserves a 10.

Now, as for what MAL admins are going to do, IDK, but the most they can do is target the accounts that were made in the past X hours SPECIFICALLY to rate it a 10.
Feb 6, 2020 9:46 AM

Feb 2020
Reshiram_IX said:
DaraSilverDragon said:

And admittedly so - I saw the Nux video, but that's not what made me put this review up (I'm not even subbed to his channel - I don't really like his voice tbh). But my question is how do they distinguish the fake votes from the real ones like mine? Because while I would never argue that this show even approaches the quality of something like FMA, I also do consider it very much required viewing for sexually active anime fans, to be able to learn outside of their own perspective and become more competent partners

Nostalgik said:
From the moment that someone increases their score to 10 OR creates an account specifically to rate it a 10 because SOMEONE ELSE asked them to do so, that's the case of legitimate accounts with illegitimate scores, because as of right now the mean score of Ishuzoku Reviewers on MAL does not represent the true community consensus on the show - and I reiterate, precisely because most people did not rate it a 10 because they genuinely thought the series deserves a 10.

Now, as for what MAL admins are going to do, IDK, but the most they can do is target the accounts that were made in the past X hours SPECIFICALLY to rate it a 10.

And yet, I made MY account just to upvote this, but for entirely legitimate reasons unrelated to anituber content creators - what about my vote then?
Feb 6, 2020 9:46 AM

Oct 2010
Touma_Mikoto said:

But he did ask to upvote this massively. Actively, multiple times. That bit is very clear.
Feb 6, 2020 9:48 AM
Feb 2020
I'm a real person and i really believe this show is a masterpiece.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
Fleeting_DreamFeb 7, 2020 2:02 PM
Feb 6, 2020 9:49 AM

Aug 2016
Eh I don't understand the admins/mods sometimes.
If a legit user gives this show a 10, it is illegitimate? How do they know? How do they decide what is legit and what is not?
To me it sounds like the admins what this show to disappear, because having an ecchi being #1 would look like MAL is a troll site with nonsense scores (which is kinda already is). I mean, how would any newcomers react if they see a show upvoted by trolls to the top? They would think this site is dubious. On the other hand if you have something like FMA on top it for sure looks much more normie-friendly.
Feb 2020
jal90 said:
Touma_Mikoto said:

But he did ask to upvote this massively. Actively, multiple times. That bit is very clear.

He definitely did not ask to make bot accounts or multiple accounts nor downvote other anime I have seen the video in question so I know that much as fact

May 2016
Touma_Mikoto said:
Reshiram_IX said:

They chose to do it? The only reason they did it was because he told them. Why else do you think YouTubers are starting to be called influencers. Because they influence people into doing things
Feb 6, 2020 9:51 AM

May 2016
Touma_Mikoto said:
jal90 said:

He definitely did not ask to make bot accounts or multiple accounts nor downvote other anime I have seen the video in question so I know that much as fact
Doesn’t matter if he asked them to make bot accounts he used his followers to spam fake reviews on a show half of them never even watched.
Feb 6, 2020 9:51 AM

Oct 2010
Touma_Mikoto said:
jal90 said:

Oh yes, sorry, he didn't ask his users to make bot accounts, he asked them to expose their legitimate accounts by brigading in this crap. Not sure what's worse. And don't get me started if you believe Nux didn't predict that rating bots would be created as well for this cause.
Feb 6, 2020 9:55 AM

Nov 2016
Lol why am I not surprised nux was the one behind this madness?
Feb 6, 2020 9:58 AM
Feb 2020
jal90 said:
Touma_Mikoto said:

Oh yes, sorry, he didn't ask his users to make bot accounts, he asked them to expose their legitimate accounts by brigading in this crap. Not sure what's worse. And don't get me started if you believe Nux didn't predict that rating bots would be created as well for this cause.

this is not harassment aka brigading and suggesting to vote for something is not forcing them we can think on our own like I for example have not voted at all

as for bots I do not think most of the 10/10 are bots though :/
Feb 6, 2020 10:00 AM
Mar 2019
First time I'm hearing about this Nux guy. Seriously where you guys even find these people lol.
If you have time to discover cringeworthy animemetubers you should be working on that backlog.

Or at least watch V-Tubers, subbed seiyuu videos or something like that for your weeb youtube needs. Not this kind of people.
Feb 6, 2020 10:00 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
Welcome to MAL, where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

If anything, this is probably the least severe of MAL's history of score manipulation, because I'm pretty sure almost all of the votes for IR are legit. When you start judging the authenticity of someone's score by assuming whether or not they have been "sent" by some influencer you get to a pretty slippery slope.

I don't know the formula for what MAL calls a weighted score, but I do know a score above a 9 with 35,000 votes at the time of writing this is pretty plausible simply because thats how averages work in general. The legitimacy of FMAB (obviously) with a score so high based on a whopping one million users is way more questionable, and besides knowing that its BS, we just let it happen.
Feb 6, 2020 10:01 AM
Jul 2016
Nux literally asked people to give this false reviews. If I tell someone to say something and it's not their view on the subject by your crooked logic it is their view now.
Feb 6, 2020 10:02 AM

Oct 2010
Touma_Mikoto said:
jal90 said:

this is not harassment aka brigading and suggesting to vote for something is not forcing them we can think on our own like I for example have not voted at all

as for bots I do not think most of the 10/10 are bots though :/

Of course, and that's how it will happen. Accounts that took part in this vote brigading will be banned or deleted.
Feb 6, 2020 10:02 AM

Feb 2017
Just put a delay on new accounts before allowing for them to put in a score, problem solved. If they want to take it further, sift through the reviews find the egregious ones and void them. If it were up to me I would dump the anime and then put it back on the list just to reset the rating.
Feb 6, 2020 10:04 AM

Oct 2015
DaraSilverDragon said:
Reshiram_IX said:

And admittedly so - I saw the Nux video, but that's not what made me put this review up (I'm not even subbed to his channel - I don't really like his voice tbh). But my question is how do they distinguish the fake votes from the real ones like mine? Because while I would never argue that this show even approaches the quality of something like FMA, I also do consider it very much required viewing for sexually active anime fans, to be able to learn outside of their own perspective and become more competent partners

Nostalgik said:

And yet, I made MY account just to upvote this, but for entirely legitimate reasons unrelated to anituber content creators - what about my vote then?
Note that this would be a temporary and yet still flawed fix to the problem, but if anything, by banishing those new accounts' scores, the people who actually kept using the website - like you - would be able to just score the series again. The people who created the account JUST to feed the meme and who'd never come back would be the only ones affected. But of course, no one can predict when Nux's video will stop being noticed and having such an effect.
Feb 6, 2020 10:08 AM

Jan 2009
>when an entry receives upwards of 15,000 "10" votes in less than 24 hours and those votes can be linked to one source, there is clearly a problem

sounds reasonable though, we do not know how the conditions work for the system patches that they will do anyway and we might never know since it will be exploited if we know those system patches anyway, they did say they will not tamper on the scores as much as possible so relax and see the results first before complaining like this unless you are one of those exploiters

and yep i saw your empty profile so nice try alt account of an exploiter
Feb 6, 2020 12:52 PM

May 2016
Andigo said:
Just put a delay on new accounts before allowing for them to put in a score, problem solved. If they want to take it further, sift through the reviews find the egregious ones and void them. If it were up to me I would dump the anime and then put it back on the list just to reset the rating.
That actually sounds like a good idea
Feb 6, 2020 1:59 PM

Nov 2012
Reshiram_IX said:
Yeah, these anime YouTubers, spreading to the rest of the world what anime THEY like... How DARE they! They've stolen my childhood.
ZEHAHAHAHA
Feb 6, 2020 2:02 PM

Mar 2018
Sarteck said:
Reshiram_IX said:
Yeah, these anime YouTubers, spreading to the rest of the world what anime THEY like... How DARE they! They've stolen my childhood.
Nux didn't just tell what anime they liked, they ORDERED his fans to raid this animes score. He specifically told them how to do it and why they should do it.

There is no ambiguity. He is trying to manipulate this animes score by using his deticated fans.
Feb 6, 2020 2:05 PM

Nov 2012
Groenboys said:
Sarteck said:
Nux didn't just tell what anime they liked, they ORDERED his fans to raid this animes score. He specifically told them how to do it and why they should do it.

There is no ambiguity. He is trying to manipulate this animes score by using his deticated fans.
Yeah, you're totally right. I have absolutely no agency, I MUST follow Nux's orders...

No, seriously here, claiming as you are that we have no agency of our own and therefore our votes don't matter... You're basically saying "You hold a different opinion and therefore it must be discarded."
ZEHAHAHAHA
Feb 6, 2020 2:07 PM
Dec 2018
Reshiram_IX said:
DaraSilverDragon said:

Again who are you to say, or the admins, what is legitimate or not? They created a website for users to rate anime and thats exactly what people are doing. They are not botting so they aren’t breaking any rules whatsoever.
Feb 6, 2020 2:11 PM
Mar 2018
rogiedog said:
Reshiram_IX said:

Again who are you to say, or the admins, what is legitimate or not? They created a website for users to rate anime and thats exactly what people are doing. They are not botting so they aren’t breaking any rules whatsoever.

this is going to be so hard to distinguish which account is legit and not because their are a lot of people on his twitter posts where he is encouraging people to vote 10 that have said they made 5 or 10 accounts to do so
Feb 6, 2020 2:11 PM
Feb 2020
Don't blame the Nux Taco for others anime tastes gentlemen.
Feb 6, 2020 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
honestly I wished mal could had avoided this whole stressful situation by making a complicated new member register system or make another bold move by just taking scores from the mal supporters alone.
Feb 6, 2020 2:15 PM
Dec 2018
Connortit said:
rogiedog said:

this is going to be so hard to distinguish which account is legit and not because their are a lot of people on his twitter posts where he is encouraging people to vote 10 that have said they made 5 or 10 accounts to do so

Then thats a legitimate problem, but for these moronic admins to say that these are illegitimate votes from legitimate users is asinine.
Feb 6, 2020 2:16 PM
Sep 2009
It's simple, once the influx of totally legit new users dies down in a few days, just nuke all 10s and 1s this show got. If it really is as beloved as some people insist, its score should remain high enough regardless of that.

In fact, making the highest and lowest scores not count would solve so many problems it's funny, at least until people realize they're being toyed with by the scoring system itself and adapt to giving 9s to everything.
Feb 6, 2020 2:16 PM
Jan 2019
In terms of comedy and shizz this anime is pretty wholesome and really hope the anime finishes with out a problem.
Feb 6, 2020 2:17 PM

Nov 2019
How do you illegitimately score something legitimately? It's all subjective taste to begin with.

SkyDrop said:
honestly I wished mal could had avoided this whole stressful situation by making a complicated new member register system or make another bold move by just taking scores from the mal supporters alone.

Ah yes, the answer for us all is to gatekeep or pay-wall everyone out. How could that ever possibly go wrong?
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Feb 6, 2020 2:21 PM

Sep 2007
I think they will do a system like the Steam one.
Where if a lot of "changes" applied a little time, that will not count.
Anyways, for me, this anime is a 8-9 of 10, i really love it but the art is not for all. :)
Feb 6, 2020 2:27 PM

Nov 2012
SkyDrop said:
It's pretty telling when you want to discourage new membership due to wanting elitism to control vote results.
ZEHAHAHAHA
Feb 6, 2020 3:13 PM
Feb 2016
Honestly while I'm a fan of Nux, this shit he's trying to do is just making the admin's jobs harder and more time consuming. Sure it might seem funny, but it's a totally illegitimate and bogus score now compared to its already 7.57 score. I'm betting they're just gonna remove all the 10's that were put up on the day his video was uploaded. This is just utter nonsense

Feb 6, 2020 3:26 PM
Mar 2019
Supersky said:
Honestly while I'm a fan of Nux, this shit he's trying to do is just making the admin's jobs harder and more time consuming. Sure it might seem funny, but it's a totally illegitimate and bogus score now compared to its already 7.57 score. I'm betting they're just gonna remove all the 10's that were put up on the day his video was uploaded. This is just utter nonsense

You and many here seem to assume the only reason this is happening is because of this guy.
I honestly don't even know who he is. I heard people were boosting Reviewers' score for shits and giggles, then I come to MAL and most posts I see are people acting all self-important and lashing out at people who like the anime (calling them names, making assumptions about their personal lifes and beliefs, etc), having meltdowns over how they're ruining MAL for not voting right on their personal user scores, and now the staff thinking it has any right to arbitrate which votes are legitimate or not.
So I decided to give it a 10/10 because I'm legitimately ticked off by all this. I would not be surprised if many people were in the same boat as I am.

I left MAL years ago and only returned last year because it's one of the few places left to talk about anime (that isn't a cesspool of shitposting, that is), but shit like this just make me think I'm better off among shitposters.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Today, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.