Forum Settings
Forums

Does a 'bad' ending ruin the entire anime for you?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Feb 6, 3:06 AM
Decent ending is an essential part of an anime.Sometimes a 'bad' ending ruins the entirety of an anime for some viewers.Even though they mostly enjoyed the anime and had a lot of fun throughout most parts of the anime,an undesirable and 'trashy' ending ruins the whole anime for them.

What do you think of an anime that you genuinely enjoyed for most parts but had an unpleasant ending? Does the crappy ending ruin the entire anime for you?

Feb 6, 3:19 AM

No, but a bad arc which should have been the end of the series followed by another bad arc that shouldnt've existed in the first place does. Looking at you seven deadly sins manga

Feb 6, 3:20 AM

I don't think that I could forget about everything good with the show that happened before a bad ending. I would not consider an anime to be bad just because I didn't like the ending, but that will influence on my rating for it.

Feb 6, 3:24 AM

Ofc yes 100%. Erased/Boku dake ga inai machi, and Charlotte would be my top 10 fav anime if not for their ending. Erased with NTR ending, and Charlotte with such rush crappy ending.
Try read Spy x Family manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...

Feb 6, 3:39 AM

yes, sometimes. Sometime's ill skip an ending of a show if i know its going to be crappy and id rather end it at a perfect moment.

Feb 6, 3:48 AM

i still watch it, the only ending i hate is if its very very sad or just ends in a cliffhangar

Feb 6, 3:57 AM

It depend on how long this ending is (if it is just the final episode or the entire final arc), how much the show was setting up this ending (if it was a crucial part of the story), how bad the ending actually was and how good the show was before.

For example, my score for Darling dropped from 7/10 to 3/10 because it strongly fits in all criteria I've mentioned. Babylon in other hand doesn't fit that much (specially because the quality was superb until the last episode), so my score only dropped from 9/10 to 8/10

Feb 6, 4:46 AM

I personnaly think it's irrelevant, guys

Feb 6, 4:48 AM

Well... Erased just turned into a 9/10 for me after it's ending which would, otherwise, have been a masterpiece. So it doesn't bother me very much.
SAO Progressive needs an anime. It is the real SAO not the rushed original.

Feb 6, 4:51 AM

It depends on how bad it is, but it surely does drop the rate of a show.
Because of the final episodes an anime that should've been an 8, Evangelion, became a 4 and the End of Evangelion had an even worse one, making it go directly to 1.

While tht was the only case that extreme so far, a bad ending is always a fatal flow in my rankings.

Feb 6, 5:50 AM
For me its ruining everything i enjoyed.
For some reason i dont retain the "old" sensationas strong i had thru the series but how i feel at the moment eveything comes together, thats why i can hate or forgive a character pretty easily from 1 to another episode.

Feb 6, 6:24 AM

It depends on the type of story, if it's just episodic then no, but if it's a more plot continuity oriented anime especially mystery then yes.
If the ending is bad that means that there is no payoff, also stories with bad ending have no revisiting value and make it pointless to recommend to someone.

Some people would say that journey matters more than a destination but I disagree I would say that everything matters, taking only journey into account is short sighted, journey without a destination is a pointless journey and a waste of time.
If you go to work for a company only at the end of the month instead of getting payed you get fired with no compensation you wouldn't say it was the journey that mattered you would be pissed and rightfully so.

The same can be said about bad endings they can leave a bad taste in you mouth.
Also the bad ending can overshadow entire discussion regarding the story in question, and is usually the main thing people remember about it.

👑 Ice Queen 👑

私はあなたのお気にいりのハローに、そして一番難しいグッバイになりたいです。
🧊

Feb 6, 8:02 AM
jotaku20 said:
i still watch it, the only ending i hate is if its very very sad or just ends in a cliffhangar
Totally agree with you on this but for me it really depends on what i watch and if the ending goes well.

Feb 6, 8:06 AM
Define the "bad" ending, what it looks like and what is at its essence. Then I will participate.
Re:formed

Feb 6, 8:10 AM

It probably won't ruin the entire thing for me, but I usually take off a point or 2, yes.

biswa290701 said:
Well... Erased just turned into a 9/10 for me after it's ending which would, otherwise, have been a masterpiece. So it doesn't bother me very much.

What didn't you like about the ending? I thought it was solid myself, tbh.

Feb 6, 8:13 AM

For me, yes it can. Just look at Tokyo Ghoul
OTP: Kid x Law | Katsuki x Izuku | Erwin x Levi | Hide x Kaneki | Sanada x Yukimura | Guren x Shinya | See more!

» My doujinshi collection
» Favorite Boku no Hero Academia doujinshi

Feb 6, 8:26 AM

lswarmruler said:
Ofc yes 100%. Erased/Boku dake ga inai machi, and Charlotte would be my top 10 fav anime if not for their ending. Erased with NTR ending, and Charlotte with such rush crappy ending.

That's interesting. I just watched ERASED recently and I wasn't very satisfied with the ending either. I had to google NTR as I'd never heard that term before but now I know what it means I'm surprised that's something someone would have an issue with. It makes total sense within the context of the story that that would happen. There are far bigger issues with the ending that make it fail for me, but the last two episodes only really brought the show down from a 9 to a 7. I still largely enjoyed it.

Feb 6, 8:29 AM

NickRedMachine said:
It probably won't ruin the entire thing for me, but I usually take off a point or 2, yes.

biswa290701 said:

It was rushed. And the ending also ruined a well established ship as well.
SAO Progressive needs an anime. It is the real SAO not the rushed original.

Feb 6, 8:30 AM

Hmmm. I think Game of Thrones is the biggest example of an ending souring people on an entire show. I know it's not anime, but the show was almost unanimously loved and respected as being amazing and then the last season failed to connect the dots it needed to for the ending to make any real sense and it all felt a bit wrong. Now people say the show is terrible despite feeling it was amazing for years.

Personally I can still appreciate what the series did well but I would find it hard to rewatch knowing how deflating and wrong the ending feels.

I'm sure this has happened with some anime too.

I think a mediocre show with a fantastic ending would probably generally be perceived as better than a fantastic show with a poor ending.

Feb 6, 8:31 AM

biswa290701 said:
NickRedMachine said:

It was rushed. And the ending also ruined a well established ship as well.

It's definitely true that the MC not getting with the main girl was disappointing, but him meeting the pizza girl at the end again made up for it for me. I'm sorry it's been a bit, can't remember names, ha.

Feb 6, 8:32 AM
It does leave a bad taste in my mouth I'll give you that.

Feb 7, 11:44 AM
Not for a show I was prepared to give a high score to, like 8+, though depending on just how bad we're talking about it might make me take off a point. I'd say it's for shows I considered just average that a bad ending can be enough to send me over the edge and give the whole thing a low score.

Feb 7, 11:56 AM
for a moment i thought you meant bad ending as if in the World itself.
a bad ending can change my opinion on an anime/manga but will not change my overral score and enjoyement i think, although is up to personal opinion What is a "satisfying or good ending"

Feb 7, 11:56 AM
The most important thing in an anime is the beginning and the ending. So, yes.

Feb 7, 11:59 AM

Depends but in general is about the journey,if the anime is good but had a trash ending doesn't ruin everything for me i can deal with bad endings

Feb 7, 12:06 PM

If it's anything like Seikaisuru Kado's ending, yes.

If it was good right up until the end, but was left on a cliffhanger, no.

Feb 7, 12:10 PM

Usually no! I'm also the one person who loves unhappy endings. The endings to Charlotte and Mirai Nikki (before the OVA) were legit some of my favorites. Same for Madoka Rebellion and ERASED. I find unsatisfying endings intriguing because it challenges the notion that everything has to end well in life, so why should a story end happily. No, I'm not joking or just saying that to be contradictory. ramalam99 wildly disagrees with me on this point for the most part, but I do see why people dislike that kind of ending.

The ONLY ending I can think of that made me hate a show was Yuki Yuna is a Hero, because it really didn't make any sense for me. It made the entire feel like it happened for nothing, because their actions were all of a sudden inconsequential. The one part of the show I enjoyed was stripped away because they wanted it to end well.

Feb 7, 12:12 PM

I don't go into an anime or any film with expectations so no an ending that I do not prefer does not ruin the anime for me. Sometimes I'm surprised by the ending but that's how life is sometimes.

In fact, I kind of like it when there's a twist at the end that I didn't expect.

[url=https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Seinen_Anime&sclick=1]

Feb 7, 12:15 PM

Not really. Even if an ending leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it wouldn't really ruin my enjoyment of a certain anime.

Allow me to teach you something useful:
My Top 20 Japanese Cartoons
Elitists in a nutshell
Many people say that anime is not a cartoon.
But in the end, they're nothing more but drawings on paper.

Feb 7, 12:18 PM

Of course not, but it lowers the score.

Katanagatari and Erased come to mind.

Feb 7, 12:19 PM

Kinda, but it only really ever stops me from rewatching a show. The biggest score drop I've ever given a series for having such a terrible shit ending was changing a score from 9 to 7, I did like the show but the ending ruined all emotion I had up to that point and has made the anime not rewatchable for me.

Feb 7, 12:25 PM

Depends on how bad it is, take for example, Prison School and that weird Genshiken spin-off called Spotted Flower, the endings for these manga are so bad that they ruined the experience for a lot of people, but these are some really extreme cases.

Cliffhanger endings are another thing tho, some of them like Welcome to the NHK and Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu are among my favorite endings of anime, but some just leave this desire for more that just won't go away

Anyway, I think it all depends on the execution of the ending, if it hurts the legacy of the series, It ruins the entire experience, at least for me
Watch Kakushigoto April 2, 2020

Feb 7, 1:00 PM

No, but it'll leave a hell of a bad taste in my mouth. Obligatory "that's what she said."

This glorious signature was made by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Having exquisite animation does not a good anime make.
Hating the classics doesn't make you smart--just contrarian.
There is nothing wrong with liking slice-of-life/iyashikei.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There is always top-shelf anime.
You should be watching both blue jacket Lupin III series."

Feb 7, 1:17 PM

A bad ending is better than a non-ending.

大好き "I just want to be an ancient demigod loli"

Feb 7, 1:20 PM

There are some cases where a show contradicts inself and the message it wanted to give with it's ending, In those cases I see how the ending would ruin the whole show.

"The more popular an anime becomes, the larger the fan base becomes. The larger the fan base becomes, the more weirdos are in the fan base. The more weirdos with louder voices..." -NuxTaku, 2019

Feb 7, 1:29 PM

Cant have a bad ending if you dont have an ending right guys ? :) fucking kill me... Why are Berserk, HxH and Black Lagoon some of my favorites... literaly the big three of hiatus...

Feb 7, 2:31 PM

no, it doesn't necessarily ruin the entire anime, at worst it's only going to ruin the ending, but i'm a man that can literally enjoy anything, so yeah

Feb 7, 4:00 PM

Nope can't say it does. There are to many other things to consider. The visuals, plot, backstory. The ending is necessary, but not the most important.

Feb 7, 5:34 PM

Not for me I don't base series on bad endings alone because if I liked most of the anime just an ending won't ruin it for me. However, multiple bad episodes or a bad adaption will.

Soul Eater comes to mind having to do with bad endings...defeat the big bad boss enemy with the power of courage and a punch to the face!! I thought the ending was very corny and not good but I really enjoyed the anime as a whole.

Feb 7, 5:54 PM

Yes. I check the endings beforehand to see if they are sad and depressing. I haven't watched some of the high ranking anime because I know they are sad. After clannad and angel beats I cannot handle it. I hate depressing shit.

Feb 7, 5:54 PM

I think most likely it depends on how I felt about the show prior. If I liked pretty much the rest of the show but felt let down by the ending, I probably wouldn't let that influence me much. Like Mayo Chiki's final ep is basically an OVA style ep but I still enjoyed the rest of the show so I didn't let it bother me. Hoshiai no Sora is another one that didn't have the best of endings, but I still loved the rest of the show regardless

On the contrary, if I felt conflicted on how I felt the show, then a bad ending kinda becomes the final nail in the coffin. Like with Anthem of the Heart or Ping Pong
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Feb 7, 10:47 PM

It won't ruin the entire anime but I'll get pissed. I want that feeling of closure that only a good ending can give, but if missing I can otherwise enjoy a flawed show.

Feb 7, 11:17 PM

it can make me drop the score by 1-2 points tbh

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

anime recs: nodame cantabile | shinsekai yori | chihayafuru | space brothers

Feb 7, 11:41 PM
I hate bad endings.
Obligatory mention of Erased.The reveal of rhe villain and his motivation were lame.That really left a bad taste in my mouth.I had to drop the score after the awful ending.The thing which irritated me the most was when Kayo cucked Satoru.

The same could be said about the open and incomplete endings of Babylon and Hoshiai no Sora.
Babylon gave a middle finger to his fans and gave an ending where nothing is answered and leave the viewer to interpret the ending.It left so many plot points hanging.
As for Hoahiai no Sora, the ending makes the series seem rushed.All the characters have parental issues and not a single of the issues were resolved and the show ends on a cliff hanger with no s2 in sight.

Feb 7, 11:49 PM

honestly? big yes

from a viewer point of view, it's extremely disappointing when you get emotionally invested in a show and its greatness, only to be dropped off the face of the earth because of a shit ending.

the ending is the last impression you get from a show. having a bad ending basically means having a bad show.
a-wise-man said:
It doesn't matter how many bishounens are in an anime if the plot is shit.

Feb 7, 11:57 PM

Yes it would , but normally the endings people find bad dont seem that bad to me, I enjoy the anime and then after it ends I look up some discussions on it and then I see that people found the ending to be bad.

Feb 7, 11:58 PM

I had high hopes on Golden Time, but the last 3 or 4 episodes ruined it soooooo bad... that this day, I've never rewatched it completely. Seriously, only recommended for true masochists...
We are EVERYWHERE...

Feb 7, 11:59 PM

I've never seen a bad ending in an anime that I would consider as good

Maybe if the anime is cancelled despite ending with a cliffhanger
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q

Feb 8, 12:00 AM

Yes, obviously.
I feel like I wasted my time watching the previous episodes whenever the ending is sht. Like, what's the point if the ending is bad?

Feb 8, 12:17 AM

Kind of, but in the end, I tend to just ignore it. Exceptions are made though, especially happy endings that involve the power of friendship and they manage to avoid an unavoidable death or one of those endings where the character suddenly got horny op because they got cheered on.
idk though, maybe I'm just being edgy.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »