Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 3, 2020 12:26 AM

Nov 2013
“Over your fear of the dark now?”
.... *scurries her ass back over to Kanamori’s side*

LOOOOL I fkn love Asakusa !
Feb 3, 2020 1:12 AM
May 2013
herrickluk said:

LOL Replayed that scene several times. Asakusa is just so adorable at times. All 3 of them are great.
Feb 3, 2020 2:24 AM

Jul 2017
On this episode of Eizouken...from the perspectives of the eccentric trio, we explore the depths of Mecha anime and how the industry hasn't been kind to the genre (basically having less).

Starting off with the Robot Club showcasing their robot prototype works with the trio, after the amazing feat that was last episode which gave the 3-girl club their first break.

As usual, with anime development, locations are the first to scour, and immediately scaredy cat Asakusa gives out on the dark nature against the pragmatic Kanamori and enthusiastic Mizusaki.

herrickluk said:

That short scene was just funnily magnificent!

The power of imagination still plays a massive part in bringing ideas of fantasy realism, and still is super addicting to watch. However, as T&Cs go, they'd treat it like one regardless of collaborations or what-have-yous if the dreams and ambitions don't align. Screw all that with a censored middle finger from the president himself (probably against people in the industry).

Emotions don't just run the show, and in this case, they did, wanting to make their dreams come true. However, what comes out of endless imagination is hard to animate...so what will be the compromise?

Exhilarating episode and this series only just keeps getting better and better.
Feb 3, 2020 4:45 AM
Mar 2019
pretty fun episode.
cool to see that they're already making money from their anime production.
the episodes pacing near the start was a bit wack, but it really started to shine when they got into designing the robot.

overall, another interesting episode from Eizouken!
Feb 3, 2020 6:10 AM

May 2018
"There's less mecha anime coming out"
Ooow man that hurt really bad

Giant robots will never stop being cool though!
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Feb 3, 2020 7:45 AM

Jun 2011
Finally heard the OP that everyone was earlier talking up.... 1st thought "Why does this sound so much like the opening to GANTZ!?"
Feb 3, 2020 8:42 AM
Jul 2018
NullMoon94 said:
Probably my least favorite episode so far.
X2. Maybe it lost some quality as it was outsourced to CloverWorks
Feb 3, 2020 9:31 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So now they are doing a mecha anime shot for the robot club. That was nice because this has been a fun episode so far.
Feb 3, 2020 10:55 AM

Oct 2017
syncrogazer said:
Looks like they're a proper 'anime studio' now, getting paid and all. Kinda hoping this will be their project for the rest of the show.

And i hope they wrap this project up quickly and move on to something different :P
Mecha lost it's charm to me long ago.
Although this episode was nice, i prefer some other subject.

P.S.

Form! Feet! And! Legs!

Form! Arms! And! Torso!

And I'll form ... The HEAD!

RainyShadowFeb 3, 2020 11:04 AM
Feb 3, 2020 12:21 PM
May 2019
And here I thought mecha genre was dead LoL.
Great episode looking forward to the next one^^
Feb 3, 2020 1:06 PM
Jul 2019
Another really solid episode. Also some rather sad meta commentary on the mecha genre. A combination between a magic fantasy series and mecha could be cool. Maybe making the mecha's impervious to damage (via magic) unless it's caused by another mecha. In any case, great series so far.
Feb 3, 2020 1:28 PM

Aug 2018
The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that focusing on mecha is just a stroke of genius: It allows the show to comment on the current state of anime, puts in it touch with historic anime, and it showcases both Asakusa's desire to geek out on the technical details AND Mizusaki's desire to animate realistic "humanoid" movement.
Set SCE to AUX
Feb 3, 2020 1:46 PM

Jul 2014
Why no one has posted this yet? :D

Feb 3, 2020 9:00 PM

Sep 2018
They will make gundam anime! XD
Asakusa's bag is like Doraemon's pocket XD
Feb 3, 2020 10:29 PM
Aug 2019
mozgow said:

I laughed my head off during this scene. At least the stuff in the bag was useful but still carrying a collapsible shovel was pretty hard-core.

As a mecha fan, this episode touched me on a spiritual level ;-) The whole commentary on real robot/super robot and how we all dream of piloting our own mecha (though not necessarily on the toilet). Best line in the show has to be Mizusaki's " I do a hadoken every night before I sleep"
Feb 4, 2020 4:20 AM

May 2018
glassknuckles said:

In other words, you made Patlabor

Nope, only Labor. The patrolling police Labors are the Patlabors.
Feb 4, 2020 7:04 AM

Dec 2009
I really liked the monster design and the underground adventure, as well as the way the robotics club collaborated with the girls designing the robot, buuuut the robot itself... i really didn't like the design. It looks too much like a toy and i'm not a fan of the way they slapped the weaponry on to it. I'd have either gone the Armored core route and mount some of them on the shoulders/back or since they're all basically tools give the robot a swiss knife style arm so they can be swapped around instead of having all of them out at all times cluttering the design. This way it would also make the animation easier, you could have even more weapons hidden which would result in hype moments each time the arm transforms into a new weapon and you know how awesome transforming robots are.
Feb 4, 2020 8:33 AM

Feb 2011
I was kinda bored with this episode ngl
Feb 4, 2020 10:41 AM

Aug 2015
alshu said:
glassknuckles said:

In other words, you made Patlabor

I am referring to the anime because it is about blue collar mecha
you will note that is why 'Patlabor' is in italics
Feb 4, 2020 10:48 AM

Jun 2015
syncrogazer said:
Kinda hoping this will be their project for the rest of the show.
Nah, it's just a short project for the upcoming cultural festival.
Feb 4, 2020 10:51 AM

Jun 2015
Yes, one of my favorite anime genres isn't getting much love lately, and that's really sad. I even feel like learning to draw and making something out. Hopefully this mini arc is inspirational for enthusiasts and creators.
The whole deal with fiction vs reality vs practicability of mechas was really good. This show is great at criticizing its own medium.
Feb 4, 2020 12:15 PM

May 2018
glassknuckles said:
alshu said:

I know what do you mean but literally the blue collar mechs there are called Labors.
The anime concept in the episode is about blue collar mech fighting a monster is different from the concept of the Patlabor anime...despite the third movie being laterally that...but still the police mechs doing the job.
You see, the Patlabor is a mech dedicated for police purposes and the eponymous franchise is about mainly them, not killing alien invaders with a forklift or something.
Feb 4, 2020 2:06 PM

Mar 2018
Trying the Hadoken before she sleeps? Bless her... <3

First sequence might be a reference to 20th Century Boys, not sure tho.
poop
Feb 4, 2020 2:23 PM

Aug 2015
alshu said:
glassknuckles said:

I know what do you mean but literally the blue collar mechs there are called Labors.
The anime concept in the episode is about blue collar mech fighting a monster is different from the concept of the Patlabor anime...despite the third movie being laterally that...but still the police mechs doing the job.
You see, the Patlabor is a mech dedicated for police purposes and the eponymous franchise is about mainly them, not killing alien invaders with a forklift or something.

Your need to get pedantic with me over a joke is not very charming.
You must be real fun at parties.

Patlabor has: blue collar mecha. It has: kaiju, in episode 3 of the OVA, and episode 19 of the TV series, which you must have forgotten. So it has two elements I've just seen in Hands Off. You're saying the civilian mecha don't do anything, and kaiju are not the focus, and I say to you so what? Obviously they are not exactly the same, I'm communicating that this line of dialogue reminded me of Patlabor the anime because of the shared elements.
glassknucklesFeb 4, 2020 3:06 PM
Feb 4, 2020 3:37 PM

May 2018
glassknuckles said:

You must be real fun at parties.

What parties?

glassknuckles said:
It has: kaiju, in episode 3 of the OVA, and episode 19 of the TV series, which you must have forgotten.

I just thought that I don't need to list them all. For example the one in the OVA was more of a kauju parody and they don't overcome the monster. The third movie was closer to the current situation because definitely Patlabors are not designed to fight monsters.

glassknuckles said:
You're saying the civilian mecha don't do anything

They do a lot of stuff...just don't hunt for monsters.

glassknuckles said:
kaiju are not the focus

Sometimes they are.

glassknuckles said:
I'm communicating that this line of dialogue reminded me of Patlabor the anime because of the shared elements.

Yeah, as your way of communication was smokes signals the message was a but smeared by the wind.

Esquirtit said:

More like to some classic robot anime...there was something similar in Heroman so I assume they are all (including 20th Century Boys) referencing way older title like Tetsuwan Atom or Tetsujin 28-gou.
alshuFeb 4, 2020 3:45 PM
Feb 4, 2020 4:37 PM

Aug 2015
alshu said:

What parties?

QED

I've already told you what reminds me of Patlabor, and you ignored it. For reference, it's because Patlabor is the only mecha anime I know of with blue collar mecha. I'm not going to argue the validity of this with you, because I don't give a shit.

Obviously, you have made it clear you object to this comparison, so why don't you find someone else's post to nitpick?
glassknucklesFeb 4, 2020 5:48 PM
Feb 4, 2020 4:55 PM

Mar 2018
alshu said:
Esquirtit said:

More like to some classic robot anime...there was something similar in Heroman so I assume they are all (including 20th Century Boys) referencing way older title like Tetsuwan Atom or Tetsujin 28-gou.

Probably, it was more because of the comment saying ''this isn't giant robot sci-fi but more robot crime''. In 20th Century Boys existence of robots isn't known and there's a plot with a mysterious cult, kidnappers, brainwashers, etc. Whole thing of course can generally just be to all classic robot anime. Not that I've seen any.

poop
Feb 4, 2020 5:50 PM
Feb 2020
It doesn't really feel like this is going anywhere for being 5 eps into a 13 episode show. Entry-level industry commentary aimed at midwits who see themselves as "insiders," cloying imagination dream sequence, rinse and repeat. I hope this turns out to be a little more than just the Reddit "artsy" show of the season.
Hillary_Clinton_Feb 4, 2020 9:50 PM
Feb 4, 2020 6:44 PM
May 2017
Hillary_Clinton_ said:
It doesn't really feel like this is going anywhere for being 5 eps into a 12 episode show. Entry-level industry commentary aimed at midwits who see themselves as "insiders," cloying imagination dream sequence, rinse and repeat. I hope this turns out to be a little more than just the Reddit "artsy" show of the season.

i don't see this as "artsy" at all... it's just like, a cool interesting take on the slice of life "kawaii girls in X high school club" trope with a twist of irreverence, speed, art and pacing that's characteristic of the director. Don't think anyone is taking it that seriously except maybe you.

You just sound like a big fat poopoo hater, tbh.
Feb 5, 2020 12:14 AM

Apr 2015
definitely fun episode
I like how kanamori always bribes everybody lmao
Feb 5, 2020 1:27 AM
Sep 2018
Hillary_Clinton_ said:
It doesn't really feel like this is going anywhere for being 5 eps into a 13 episode show. Entry-level industry commentary aimed at midwits who see themselves as "insiders," cloying imagination dream sequence, rinse and repeat. I hope this turns out to be a little more than just the Reddit "artsy" show of the season.

5 eps in they've formed the club made there the first project and have been commissioned for another project. I'm not sure what more progress you expect them to make.

Being about amateurs making anime, it would be difficult to express every part of the professional process. It is, however, an excellent exploration of the nature of the creative process as I have experienced it and communicates what's appealing about making and consuming media while also being a great piece of media to consume.
Feb 5, 2020 4:39 AM

May 2018
glassknuckles said:
and you ignored it

I said "I know what do you mean" thus you are ignoring my notion that I am not ignoring your idea, just giving it a proper name.

glassknuckles said:
I'm not going to argue the validity of this with you, because I don't give a shit.

- If you don't, stop replaying than...
- I still think you are not getting my first notice.

glassknuckles said:
so why don't you find someone else's post to nitpick?

But I don't nitpick on random themes just for the sake of it...
Feb 5, 2020 6:59 PM

Jul 2016
The Anti-Poltergeist Kit, her fear of dark places, her crying due to her failed dreams of travelling around space. Man, Midori was so fucking adorable in this episode xD

Back on topic, I honestly expected the mecha topic to be eventually address but I wasn't expecting it to be this detailed. Overall, it was another nice episode but now I wonder if the idea of making the mechas in CGI will be address as well.
Feb 5, 2020 10:57 PM

Mar 2010
Not sure if the translation is bad for this episode or I just didn't get what they are talking about. Or both.

That aside, good episode. Really enjoys their discussion with robot club.
Feb 5, 2020 11:01 PM

May 2017
I already love this show so much. Great Episode!
Feb 6, 2020 2:00 PM

Oct 2008
Can Asakusa-shi explain one of the unsolved mysteries in science/physics which is: "SONOLUMINESCENCE" what i'm trying to say is how the emission of light is formed/produced when a bubble is made to collapse using sound waves?

5/5.

Feb 6, 2020 3:07 PM

Nov 2016
Salt in the wound of all mecha fans.

mozgow said:

Every episode has just too many moments that range from funny to awesome that it would be bothersome to comment on all of them xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 7, 2020 8:47 PM

Aug 2017
Uh, the robot club is working with the girls. I like how they addressed the mecha topic in this episode. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 9, 2020 6:50 AM

Aug 2013
They went all out with their ideas. RIP Mecha fans.

Feb 13, 2020 8:58 PM

Nov 2019
5/5 Episode
I look forward to seeing how this robot will turn out when they finish because it's bound to change.
Feb 14, 2020 8:25 AM

Oct 2017
That robot ended up looking cool. I'm looking forward to see how they'll animate that.
Feb 20, 2020 2:54 PM

Oct 2018
Kanamori, Sayaka is my new favorite character.........
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Mar 29, 2020 5:49 PM

Apr 2015
Not as fun as the previous episodes.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 17, 2020 3:31 AM

Feb 2018
Get short animatiom request.
May 7, 2020 2:19 PM

Feb 2012
I Guess it's handy to be paranoïd sometimes.
Lmao mizusaki trying to do a hadoken every night
The robot was a bit weird looking at the end but let's see how it would look animated.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

May 29, 2020 2:20 PM

Mar 2019
Such a good anime in each episode, and we do need more mecha anime!!
Aug 18, 2020 5:59 AM

Jul 2015
Robot club was faced with a grimm reality...never mess with Eizouken..they will crush all realistic dreams about robots...

Bit disappointend, really expected a TTGL reference at the drill part

Nov 15, 2020 8:52 AM

Jul 2017
Episode 4 was the strongest of the series by far, so I finally felt like this show was getting some good momentum but it was pretty quickly halted as this Episode 5, was the weakest one for me.

Nothing was necessarily bad about it, but the intro sequence with Midori being scared of the Robot society like it's a horror movie was not really that scary, nor funny, and went way too long. Just a normal introduction would've been a lot better than this in my opinion. Plus the actual episode itself wasn't too interesting and I didn't care much for the Robot society and their desires to make an anime with the Video Society (mainly since I don't care much for robot anime myself anymore).

However, I did like how they were discussing through the designs of the robot though with trying to focus on a lot of details, trying to also maintain the balance of fiction and reality at the same time with the robot and its purpose of being there in the world itself. A bit of a slow episode as a whole with some stuff I found to be boring, but there is enough decent stuff in it to make me not lose interest in this arc completely.
Feb 4, 2021 8:57 PM

Mar 2015
Nice episode, they get their first real project as a recognized club!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 24, 2021 5:05 PM

Aug 2017
Ono was played by Yuuki Ono,funny

Surprised at the absence of Gundam references, actually. Unless we treat the placement of the cockpit as a "reference", with the subsequent movement to the top as a nod to Eva. Though I don't know too much about robots and these ideas were probably in many other places too.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2020

144 by Perrin4869 »»
Apr 22, 12:57 AM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2020

76 by Kristiwazhere »»
Apr 11, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2020

100 by poguschampus »»
Apr 6, 5:42 PM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2020

98 by little_raven »»
Mar 9, 7:39 PM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2020

92 by ibanezpunkotaku »»
Dec 25, 2023 1:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.