Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 2, 2020 6:58 AM
Jan 2017
Anime do have a lot of different ways of designing their characters, so I'm curious. Which anime has your favourite character design?
Feb 2, 2020 7:04 AM

Oct 2019
Dont really have a favorite but vinland saga, AoT, and Black clover all have the same gritty design that strays off the norm, which I like.
Feb 2, 2020 7:06 AM

Apr 2015
Angel Beats is always the answer.
I just love Na-Ga's art
Feb 2, 2020 7:09 AM

Nov 2019
i'm just gonna list someo of my favorites

-while the anime's were trash, rui komatsuzaki's character design & just art in general for the danganronpa franchise is iconic and i love it.

-sadamoto's designs for EVA are great

-VOFAN'S design & art for monogatari

-makoto uno's for...reasons

-GODLY character design from mayuka ito in hanako-kun

-i'm not sure who did sabers design but its god tier

ill add more if i remember

misato > asuka > rei
Feb 2, 2020 7:12 AM
Nov 2019
shingeki no kyojin, i love mature design character without big boobs or sexy
boku no hero academia, they have unique faces
kimetsu no yaiba, they have unique eyes and mouth
kakegurui, those faces
ansatsu kyoushitsu, korosensei damn cute
Feb 2, 2020 7:14 AM

Jul 2016
-Hisone to Masotan,such a cute and simple artstyle.
-One piece,because of originality and variety in designs.
-Hells,cool sketchy artsyle.

SummerynFeb 2, 2020 7:46 AM
Feb 2, 2020 7:35 AM

Nov 2019
Missaliensan said:
-One piece,for obvious reasons.

hisone is so cute! i'm watching it rn, i ADORE nao's character design + MC is such a waifu
misato > asuka > rei
Feb 2, 2020 7:36 AM

Mar 2012
Missaliensan said:

???

One Piece is known for ugly designs, lot of people don't want to read the manga because of them (and some of them became fan later) so it's not "obvious" even if it's not ugly for me it's not something people consider beautiful so I don't really know if you could reasoned like that.
Maybe you're saying that because they are pretty varied and original ?
In that style I prefer Mashima (Rave, Fairy Tail) I find his character really better if we talk about chara-design and there is a lot of similitude with Oda. I still like some of OP's chara-design.

For me if we only talk about anime (manga have lots of better design than every anime but it's obvious that we can't animate complicate designs) :

Juuni Kokuki (Old charm, incredible art)
Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo (old Watanabe style is pretty "cool")
Euphonium (good visuals)
Lain, Haibane (Abe's works)
Ergo Proxy for Re-L
Recently Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun seems wonderful
FLCL (even if I dislike the anime, Mamimi is outstanding)
xxxHolic
Orange Road

I like some others like ACCA, Zaregoto, Railgun, SSSS.Gridman Girls, Rue from Princess Tutu.. I forgot probably lots of my favorites.

And the one I dislike is Fate chara-design (ufotable's ones even tho I like Kimetsu chara design...)
Feb 2, 2020 7:38 AM

Jul 2016
-Seiya- said:
Missaliensan said:

hisone is so cute! i'm watching it rn, i ADORE nao's character design + MC is such a waifu

I know right?Hisone is adorable must protecc,she’s such a flustered mess.
Feb 2, 2020 7:43 AM

Jul 2016
HaarWyvern said:
Missaliensan said:

???

One Piece is known for ugly designs, lot of people don't want to read the manga because of them (and some of them became fan later) so it's not "obvious" even if it's not ugly for me it's not something people consider beautiful so I don't really know if you could reasoned like that.
In that style I prefer Mashima (Rave, Fairy Tail) I find his character really better if we talk about chara-design and there is a lot of similitude with Oda. I still like some of OP's chara-design.

I like One piece’s character designs more obviously because they are more varied and original,and don’t look generic.And if you are gonna mention Mashima I am going to go on a whim and say that lots his character designs are literal copy and pastes of each other which becomes really apparent when you look at his latest manga Eden’s Zero in which the characters are practically indistinguishable from Fairy Tail’s.So in that regard I completely disagree with comparing Fairy tail’s designs with One piece’s because to me One piece’s designs are in a complete different level in terms of originality.
Feb 2, 2020 7:47 AM

Oct 2019
Missaliensan said:
HaarWyvern said:

???

I like One piece’s character designs more obviously because they are more varied and original,and don’t look generic.And if you are gonna mention Mashima I am going to go on a whim and say that lots his character designs are literally copy and paste of each other which becomes really apparent when you look at his latest manga Eden’s Zero in which the characters aren’t practically indistiguishable from Fairy Tail’s.So in that regard I completely disagree with comparing Fairy tail’s designs with One piece’s because to me One piece’s designs arein a complete different level in terms of originality.

Yeah, they're original but they're goddamn eyesores. Always wondered how people put up with those godawful character designs

Nov 2019
-Seiya- said:
Missaliensan said:

plz dont hate me but when hisone was piloting masotan for (i think) the first time her pose kinda reminded me of 02 & i may or may not have gotten into one of my rants were i speak to myself pretty loud in an empty room while listing off reasons why hisone has the potential to be more waifu-able than 02.
misato > asuka > rei

Sep 2019
Basically the same thread as this but oh well... i'm gonna post here too.

I think Shingeki no Kyojin has an amazing character design. Especially the eyes.... they're full of life.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Feb 2, 2020 7:48 AM

Jul 2016
Ayanamihhh said:
Missaliensan said:

I like One piece’s character designs more obviously because they are more varied and original,and don’t look generic.And if you are gonna mention Mashima I am going to go on a whim and say that lots his character designs are literally copy and paste of each other which becomes really apparent when you look at his latest manga Eden’s Zero in which the characters aren’t practically indistiguishable from Fairy Tail’s.So in that regard I completely disagree with comparing Fairy tail’s designs with One piece’s because to me One piece’s designs arein a complete different level in terms of originality.

Yeah, they're original but they're goddamn eyesores. Always wondered how people put up with those godawful character designs

Better than having the characters be literal copy paste rehashes of each other.
Feb 2, 2020 7:49 AM

Aug 2018
Watanabe's big 3, space dandy, cowboy Bebop and samurai champloo all have great unique character designs

Other than that heres a little list of shows with great designs:

Made in abyss
Anohana
Jojo
One punch man
Mob psycho 100
Dr stone
Konosuba
Overlord
Panty and stocking
Gurren lagan
Flcl (fooly cooly)
The fate franchise
Eizouken

All these have characters that don't just look like your generic anime boys and girls and if you took a character from any of those and put it without any context people would still recognize them
yotiFeb 2, 2020 8:12 AM
Feb 2, 2020 8:02 AM

Jun 2019
The Trigger stuff like Promare, Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann have awesome designs IMO

Araki with JoJo is also really good at it of course.

Feb 2, 2020 8:07 AM

Sep 2019
Ayanamihhh said:
Missaliensan said:

Tbh, i never thought of Fairy Tail character designs as unique or distinctive. Their face basically looks all the same, especially the eyes. I like it, but the design was nothing sort of special. It almost look all the same and indistinguishable. So when you say it's varied and original, i'm confused rn. Fairy Tail designs has the most generic style compared to many other anime out there.

Nevertheless, the same goes for One Piece. But, only for the female character designs. I almost can't tell the difference tbh. And it's for the same reason with fairy tail, the eyes. They look almost the same with each other....

Other than that, One Piece is cool. The designs are fun and quirky.

Feb 2, 2020 8:09 AM

Nov 2007
All the post 2010s KyoAni ones. Five star. Perfect.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 2, 2020 8:13 AM

Aug 2016
Ergo Proxy,
Cowboy Bebop,
Kimetsu no Yaiba,
Fate Series,
Samurai Champloo,
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters,
Naruto,
Berserk.
Most of thoes are my favorite cuz of badass looks and uniqueness. And Yu Gi Oh cuz of hairstyles

Feb 2, 2020 8:15 AM

Jun 2019
UselessSakura said:
Ergo Proxy,
Cowboy Bebop,
Kimetsu no Yaiba,
Fate Series,
Samurai Champloo,
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters,
Naruto,
Berserk.
Most of thoes are my favorite cuz of badass looks and uniqueness.

I didn't want to originally include Naruto, but I really appreciate how villages all have their own clothing and the series actually manages to stick with it until the end (not counting the main characters). It thought design out well in the long term.

Feb 2, 2020 8:19 AM

Jan 2010
So far:

One Piece -> unique, memorable, distinctive, iconic
Jojo -> unique, distinctive

That's it so far
Feb 2, 2020 8:29 AM
Aug 2019
Kimetsu no Yaiba but especially the demons. I like how there is no uniformity between them and how their design tells something about the character

Even though I didn't really like the show, Utena's blue jacket and red shorts still looked really nice.

Samurai X: I liked most of the character design from shishio's bandages, saito' police uniform (and shinsegumi outfit) to aoshi's badass jacket
AbrahamOmosunFeb 2, 2020 8:33 AM
Feb 2, 2020 8:30 AM

Sep 2019
Ononoki from Monogatari is absolute god tier design to me
Feb 2, 2020 8:30 AM

Sep 2019
Shicchi said:
So far:

One Piece -> unique, memorable, distinctive, iconic
Jojo -> unique, distinctive

That's it so far

Jojo -> unique -> poses

*plays pillar mens theme*

Feb 2, 2020 8:34 AM

Mar 2012
Missaliensan said:
HaarWyvern said:

???

I like One piece’s character designs more obviously because they are more varied and original,and don’t look generic.And if you are gonna mention Mashima I am going to go on a whim and say that lots his character designs are literal copy and pastes of each other which becomes really apparent when you look at his latest manga Eden’s Zero in which the characters are practically indistinguishable from Fairy Tail’s.So in that regard I completely disagree with comparing Fairy tail’s designs with One piece’s because to me One piece’s designs are in a complete different level in terms of originality.

Yeah it's was more a morphology comparison. I'm with you when you say that Eden's Zero is a c/c of Fairy Tail.
Feb 3, 2020 11:39 AM

Aug 2013
Almost everything from KyoAni (INCLUDING Clannad)
Ef: A tale of Memories
Da Capo
Mahoromatic
Silverlink's Prisma Illya characters
Deen's fate/stay night characters
Kiniro Mosaic
General PA Works style (Hanasaku Iroha, Shirobako, Sakura Quest and Irozuku especially)
Older Shaft style (<2010, so Monogatari too, except Kizumono which looked like a crap)
Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii Desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desu ka?
Shuffle
Onegai Teacher / Twins
School Days
H2o
General Xebec style (older and more recent series).
Dr Stone design looks cool too.

What I hate?
rsc-plFeb 4, 2020 12:40 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 3, 2020 12:01 PM

Jul 2019
I think that every Shinichiro Watanabe's work has some pretty good character designs, especially Space Dandy and Cowboy Bebop. Also, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has some of the best character designs in anime. One piece also does a great job, Oda-sensei is not losing inspiration even after 23 years of serialization.
Feb 3, 2020 12:05 PM

May 2018
I love Panty and Stocking's character design and art style. It reminds me of the Cartoon Network show, the Powerpuff Girls. I don't see this a lot and for me this the only anime series I've seen in this style.

SPRING

Feb 3, 2020 12:07 PM

Aug 2018
anything made by Kumeta Kouji, especially the character designs he did for Uchouten Kazoku
Feb 3, 2020 12:38 PM
Jan 2020
[quote=HaarWyvern]
Missaliensan said:

???

You do realize that basically every female in mashima’s works all have the same face and oda is more known for his unique art style that you can’t copy, and his art isn’t ugly at all not sure what you’re reading but his art is actually quite good
Feb 3, 2020 12:38 PM

May 2015
Nanatsu no Taizai season 3 and Berserk 2016

Honorable mentions : Yoshitoshi Abe's works , Fate zero's character design (Saber's design in general) , World masterpiece theater, JoJo part 2, Ghibli movies and shingeki no kyojin
Feb 3, 2020 12:41 PM

Jan 2009
Redline

my man Takeshi Koike is great with his character designs
Feb 3, 2020 1:20 PM

Apr 2018
Katanagatari might just have my favorite character designs (Houou Maniwa is my fave), really like the visuals of the show in general.

Also soul Eater's designs are really nice imo
Feb 3, 2020 1:24 PM

Aug 2019
Houseki no kuni has some solid character design, with the 3D suiting the whole gem bodies feel natural and realistic. Same with beastars, thought they did a great job at the whole zoomorphism.

The whole fate franchise has BRILLIANT character design, mainly with the game but nonetheless still sick ass designs.

Jojos bizzare adventure is unforgettable, one if not my favourite character designs. Every character is unique in their own way as well with their stands. Every character is easily captivating and interesting and stays on my mind.

Kimetsu no yaiba is also pretty nice, I feel like it’s a nice approach in the shounnen genre, characters are simple but have some sort of spark that makes them stand out compared to other shows.

Also anything by Hiroyuki Imaishi and Kazuki Nakashima
Feb 3, 2020 1:28 PM

Aug 2017
I really like the character design of Akio Watanabe.
It's quite inviting.
Feb 3, 2020 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
I like Aki Izayoi's character design, and first 3 YGO era of designs in general.

I also like Jojo's first 5 parts character designs as well.

And I stress the numbers because after that I dislike the style changes!
Feb 3, 2020 3:01 PM

Jan 2019
WinterFB said:
I really like the character design of Akio Watanabe.
It's quite inviting.

I absolutely agree. I love the Monogatari and Grisaia designs, and I'm really excited to see what he does with the Higurashi designs.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Feb 3, 2020 5:40 PM

Oct 2019
I love the jjba character design. Each character is easily identifiable.
Feb 3, 2020 5:46 PM

Oct 2018
Honestly I really like Olivier Armstrong's design from FMA. Her character in general feels like a breath of fresh air for female anime characters and her design is really fuckin cool imo

Also most jojo characters have great designs but my favorite is Josuke's. Love the pomp.
If you're reading this and you haven't watched Mob Psycho 100, go watch it and then continue with what you were doing.

Also, for the record, JoJo is great, it's fans are not.
Feb 3, 2020 5:56 PM

Oct 2018
Kizumonogatari - All of Shinobu's design look stunning in this

JoJo DiU - Favourite art style from Araki especially Reimi

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - Cute
~Spiritual Healing~

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

122 by BigBoyAdvance »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 2 hours ago

10 by BigBoyAdvance »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

41 by Nyarly-Kanamin »»
6 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 3 hours ago

9 by BigBoyAdvance »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

35 by deg »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.