Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 3, 2020 1:45 PM

Oct 2019
Ryoketsu said:
salarx said:

I'd like to add that there are three crucial things which everyone should remember after the TV series -

1. Mami and Kyoko are alive
2. Sayaka is dead
3. Witches no longer exist.

Based on these facts people should deduce where Magia Record fits.
Also I feel anyone who hasn't watched Madoka Magica recently should first watch it before making comparisons (your memory might be worse than Iroha by now).

You're right. Magia Record is happening in a different universe/timeline from the universe/timeline of the original series. The Mami who destroyed Iroha's doppel and confronted Yachiyo is an alternative version of the Mami who was killed by Charlotte.

As was the Mami who shot Kyoko and was killed in turn by Madoka, the Mami killed by Walpurgisnacht, etc.

I think this isn't an alternative universe but one of Homura's many timelines, meaning something she did caused this strangeness in Kamihama to happen
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2020 3:11 PM
Jun 2019
W8And said:
hailhomura said:
This show is rated more positively in anikore, bilibili and bangumi

I do wonder why it is rated so low here. I mean, although the plot doesn't really reach the standard of masterpiece, its production and art style does. Maybe it is because the cultural difference between Western and Eastern people?

Hope no one here will attack you because of your comment : )

Just drop it if you want and go to enjoy your beloved.

Who cares about other websites..
Mal is the largest anime site and has the largest sample.

Idk, i haven't watched first EP yet haha.

Come on :/

No, i MUST teach you the truth.

My anime list may be the biggest, but it is the most irregular anime site. Simple, scores don't matter here. You are living proof of that.
Feb 3, 2020 3:48 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
What a rollercoaster this episode was for me. Very excited to have a character voiced by Nakahara Mai show up, but the bit after the ED was just terrifying. I'm really enjoying this show so far.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 4, 2020 3:48 PM

Sep 2019
salarx said:
EuOdeioFMAB said:

I realized that it is because of these people that the anime score is so low. First: AT THE END OF ANIME, MAMI WAS ALIVE

I'd like to add that there are three crucial things which everyone should remember after the TV series -

2. Sayaka is dead

Also I feel anyone who hasn't watched Madoka Magica recently should first watch it before making comparisons (your memory might be worse than Iroha by now).

Fact number 2 killed me. Maybe i should drop this....

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Feb 4, 2020 4:25 PM
Aug 2015
White_Hollow said:
salarx said:

2. Sayaka is dead

Fact number 2 killed me. Maybe i should drop this....

well Sayaka is in the opening of Magia Record so she should appear soon
Feb 4, 2020 10:19 PM

Jun 2014
Thread cleaned.

Please do not post in an episodic discussion thread if you have not seen it before.
Feb 5, 2020 1:48 AM

Mar 2018
The post-credit scene was anime-original afaik. But I might be wrong because I haven't got past Chapter 5 yet. It looks ominous, yes, but it all seemed to me like it's just Kaede awakened her Doppel. I'd appreciate if some game-players confirm it.

Feb 5, 2020 5:36 AM
Sep 2015
This anime sure is hard to follow...

I'm glad Mami is back but she was acting paranoid af. Truth be told I don't like Yachiyo either but Mami shouldn't have accused her of lying (and turning her fellow puella magi against her).
That's low and not the Mami I know.

How did Iroha become a witch and return back to normal? I thought that once puella magis turned to witches it was irreversible...

Anyway the only part I enjoyed was when Iroha woke up worried about school tomorrow and then she was like "oops it's Saturday" That's comedy gold.
Feb 5, 2020 6:04 AM
Dec 2018
JOELbedulla said:

That's not the lowest Mami has gone. Remember she shot Kyoko when she found out Magical Girls eventually turn into witches? She'll go on a magical girl hunt if she realized they turn into witches.
Feb 5, 2020 2:17 PM

Jan 2019
JOELbedulla said:

She is the Mami I know. Consider the facts she knows:

- Someone or something is gathering witches in Kamihama.
- There is no Kyubey in the city and he is prevented from entering by some mysterious force.
- For some reason, the witches in Kamihama are stronger than the others.
- A mysterious magic leads to a witch who turns into a girl.
- A veteran who clearly hides something says she doesn't know anything about what's going on in the city.

How could she not suspect?

JOELbedulla said:
How did Iroha become a witch and return back to normal? I thought that once puella magis turned to witches it was irreversible...

Iroha and Kaede returned to human form because their transformation was different from Sayaka's transformation.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Feb 6, 2020 1:42 AM
Sep 2015
salarx said:
JOELbedulla said:

That's not the lowest Mami has gone. Remember she shot Kyoko when she found out Magical Girls eventually turn into witches? She'll go on a magical girl hunt if she realized they turn into witches.

Ah yes... the famous Mami meltdown, how could I forget 😂
Feb 6, 2020 5:08 AM

Jan 2019
-GilgaSmash- said:
Emillian said:
Best episode so far and as a fellow magia record player i expect only the best from now.

The after credits was INSANE and that was NOT in the game....freaked the sh*t out of me. 5/5

What happened in the scene i missed it and can't watch it atm

It was an unique and asthonishing moment....i cant spoil it sry....u have to experience it for yourself ;)
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Feb 6, 2020 7:02 PM

Oct 2019
-GilgaSmash- said:
Emillian said:
Best episode so far and as a fellow magia record player i expect only the best from now.

The after credits was INSANE and that was NOT in the game....freaked the sh*t out of me. 5/5

What happened in the scene i missed it and can't watch it atm

Kaede (the redhead) became a proto-witch like Iroha because she thought she was going to die and her teammates were about to as well. Her gem got corrupted and she became this burnt munchkin with a creepy smile and face-fins that shot tar hands at the witch they were fighting, which mashed the witch into goo.

Kaede fled the scene as her teammates stirred, terrified and thinking something was wrong with her. She hallucinates her hands stained with the colorful fluids of her proto-witch
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2020 7:49 PM

Dec 2018
Yuhani said:
So Mami fighting Iroha got replaced with Iroha's doppel going out of control and Mami destroying it. Was it because Mami in the game seemed like a bad guy in this scene? I wonder how her parts are going to be handled later.

Those who compared this should realized F4samurai has done Mami less justice than she is in-game, heck when Yachiyo states how she could smile while intent to rid Iroha makes her seem more villainous.. well maybe second to Touka
Feb 6, 2020 9:46 PM

Oct 2008
oh my god! i suddenly stood-up clapping standing ovation when Tomoe Mami shows-up! from the original series of a masterpiece!
then after that the episode just became bland...can never reach to the standard the original left...well at least we could see a dark power boost witch like Tamaki & Akino!? wow!
5/5.

Feb 8, 2020 4:40 AM

Oct 2007
forgot to say. The food Yachiyo cooked looks delicious, looks like a spicy mix of hotdogs, carrots and potatoes. Well, something good for the special guest. :)
Feb 9, 2020 9:36 AM

Dec 2016
Iroha and Kaede's body seemed to change drastically. That ain't good...

Great episode! :)

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Feb 10, 2020 3:08 AM
Aug 2018
It seems Ui is defnitely connected to the gathering of witches at Kamihama City, maybe even the one behind it.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Feb 14, 2020 3:37 PM

Feb 2018
Sad Mifuyu xD.... rip yachiyo lol.
Feb 15, 2020 3:14 PM

Nov 2016
Easily the most intense episode so far, I hope the rest of the series can be at least around this level.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 20, 2020 12:46 AM

Oct 2017
So many things happened in one episode and this is finally getiing exciting.
Feb 23, 2020 11:07 AM

Dec 2008
A lot going on in this episode. Mami was pretty cool. I had been starting to agree with the "too many magical girls" assessment from previous episodes, but this one focused pretty well on Iroha and Yachiyo.

My other thoughts:
-Chifuyu is already dead, isn't she?
-And is Iroha a witch already? She's definitely going to be "special" somehow, different from Madoka.
-After credits scene: Wow.... So are we done with them? lol
Mar 9, 2020 2:22 AM

Dec 2013
A very interesting episode. I'm really curious with what happened to Iroha and the other girl.
Mar 12, 2020 11:27 PM

Nov 2017
This show is like a bad acid trip. It's hard to know where it's going or why. VERY maze-like.

The girls are turning into witches. Unfortunate. It's reversible though.

You can tell now that it's from Shaft. Learned some lessons from Monogatari so now they're laying it on us with this witchery. Definitely the most mysterious show this season. Ironically it probably has the best writing for an anime original.

Don't fight the Shaft, just ride with the flow.
Mar 18, 2020 5:22 AM

Aug 2017
Finally, more information about Yachiyo's past that we really needed but what I really appreciate was Mami's brief but absolutely necessary appearance for a few minutes.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 17, 2020 8:34 AM
Jun 2016
Iroha falling into despair. Yeah, I think this might be the part where she'll turn into a witch but ends up controlling it just like with Sayaka's Oktavia. If not this episode, at least sooner.

I find it interesting that Iroha's body seems somewhat incorporated to her witch. I remember that wasn't the case with Sayaka. Although to be fair, most witches in the franchise are created off-screen anyway.

I loved the little interaction Mami and Yachiyo had. I bet she's having Homura flashbacks or something. We also get to see her being fierce to other magical girls. Which she wasn't in the original series, asides to Homura and I can't really think of anyone else.

No Mami, Yachiyo has to be good (or I want her to be). Yeah, to be fair Mami already had that kind of attitude in the original series so it kind of makes sense. That, and Yachiyo is blue Homura.

I'm wondering if and how they would explain things such as Iroha coming back to life and Sayaka being able to control her witch (I'm anime only). I suspect those two are connected, assuming Iroha gains the same ability.

Yeah, I can say (for now) that Yachiyo x Iroha is the Homura x Madoka of this spin-off. Although I find it interesting that Yachiyo's and Iroha's goals are pretty similar.

Well, it seems like Iroha isn't the only one who turned back into a magical girl.
Apr 17, 2020 4:33 PM

Mar 2013
Mat2468xk said:
I find it interesting that Iroha's body seems somewhat incorporated to her witch. I remember that wasn't the case with Sayaka. Although to be fair, most witches in the franchise are created off-screen anyway.
In the context of the game, merging with the body is mostly reserved for the older girls(eg, Yachiyo, Mifuyu and Homura); Iroha's mostly merging with just her hair is rare.
Apr 18, 2020 6:05 PM
Jun 2016
Polycell said:
Mat2468xk said:
In the context of the game, merging with the body is mostly reserved for the older girls(eg, Yachiyo, Mifuyu and Homura); Iroha's mostly merging with just her hair is rare.

Oh, that explains Sayaka's case.
Apr 19, 2020 6:40 PM

Jan 2018
And I thought this show won't get better. Great to see Mami again.
Jun 6, 2020 8:43 AM

Aug 2018
Yeah, also it seems that Tsuruno and Yachiyo would like to see the same girl?.. As Yachiyo in the previous episode told that they'd write the same name.. Wonder, if something happened to their known person.. And after that their (Yachiyo's and Tsuruno's) relationship dissolved.. This Mifuyu girl..
I think that manipulator depends on memories of the person.. And that's how creates illusion of person.. That's why Iroha's Ui wasn't making any sense, because Iroha just has no recollections of Ui.. It could make sense.. I mean.. Who would be willing to search person with all their heart, without actually knowing anything about that person?.. That's who Iroha is.. .. But also, really, they had to switch and show Yachiyo first, not Iroha.. Because now that manipulator just looked silly and lame.. Creators needed to put Yachiyo first for giving more effect of how good of a manipulator this whoever can be..
So.. Just how, really, Iroha turned back from the witch to magical girl?.. Is her transformation wasn't fully completed or something?.. Person falling in despair can still come back to their senses, if they get good smack on the head, or something?.. Is that how it works?..
Mami thinks that Yachiyo is hiding something?.. Or that Iroha is hiding something?.. I'm confused, really.. Either of these two..
Kaede got into major trouble as well.. Some witches plot coming..
Jul 19, 2020 12:27 AM

Jul 2016
Can't believe Mami finally made her appearance just to be called out by Homura 2.0 xD I mean, what was that? You were supposed to be the well-respected senpai in this franchise.

Anyways, finally an interesting episode. Of course these Ui and Mifuyu were impostors (Ui didn't even try) so their interactions with Iroha and Yachiyo weren't that tense if I'm honest. It was still nice to know more about Yachiyo's past with this Mifuyu girl tho.

So.. what the fuck with Iroha and that post-credits scene tho? So what? Mahou Shoujo can now shape-shift into Witches and return to normal? Well, Iroha was somehow "saved" by this transformation since her Soul Gem is completely restored again but this kind of outcome sure is new. Wonder if Ui had something to do with this "heresy".
SouthRzVaJul 19, 2020 12:34 AM
Aug 10, 2020 5:12 PM

Feb 2012
Why does Mifuyu have an obaa-san voice...? First I heard her speaking, I thought she was possessed by a witch/rumor or something.
Sep 9, 2020 12:36 PM

May 2018
Pretty good again. Lol Mami had pretty much no screen time
Jul 5, 2021 5:51 PM

May 2020
This show has just been okay so far, I was excited to see Mami again though, best girl 10/10.
Sep 27, 2021 6:43 AM

Jan 2017
More questions arise from the Shrine incident. I don't remember any pseudo-Witches from the original Madoka so this is something original that's introduced in Magia Record I suppose
Dec 21, 2022 1:29 PM
Jun 2021
its great, i like third episode so far
Jun 18, 2023 2:19 AM

Jul 2008
I’m just so happy to see Mami again!!! I’m going to have to go look up where this side story takes place to the main story. Like prior or between first couple episodes, ya know? I’m sure it’ll be easy to find.. I just had to come here asap to say how excited and shook I was to see Mami since I did no prior search into the side story and just dived in. The whole episode was exciting though. Best one so far by a vast amount!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2020

237 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 11:00 AM

» Is this necessary to watch?

theanimeviber - Feb 4

14 by kensu31 »»
Feb 11, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

108 by Hilel1982014h »»
Jan 16, 7:42 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

257 by Fafette »»
Oct 23, 2023 4:19 AM

» This is quite funny

official_brown - Jun 10, 2022

16 by jedman »»
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.