Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2020 6:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, when it comes to gems, it's all about its beauty.

Of course a wedding would need a beautiful diamond to highlight the important occasion. I kinda find it interesting that they focused on the visual texture of the gems.
Jan 30, 2020 10:45 AM
Jul 2018
Richard is very attractive the girl get shocked when she saw him
Jan 30, 2020 10:52 AM

Sep 2017
Yeah I heard about that diamond marketing scheme before. Pretty interesting stuff to read about. Episode was fine anyway.
Jan 30, 2020 11:20 AM
May 2017
I really liked this episode. They dared to talk about the diamond scam. Seigi's annoyingness was addressed. And Yamamoto's story made me cry a lot. and wtf is she saying. She's beautiful. And fuck that asshole ex. The lore of the garnet was really interesting. The starwberry parfait reminded me of Gintoki lmao. I'm definitely raising my rating to 7. It might even rise to 8 at the end if the rest of the episodes are also this good.
Jan 30, 2020 11:47 AM

Jan 2017
well i got baited harder than dumb fish in the lake when seeing a worm on the hook
Jan 30, 2020 12:02 PM
Jul 2019
So Richard was teaching Seigi to be careful with his words, and I thought that Richard was becoming gay, jaz saying.
Jan 30, 2020 12:21 PM
Aug 2018
Horn_dawg_2019 said:
So Richard was teaching Seigi to be careful with his words, and I thought that Richard was becoming gay, jaz saying.
yesss same i was like oop this is what i have been waiting for and then i was let down smh😔
Jan 30, 2020 12:32 PM

Jun 2008
El3na said:
Horn_dawg_2019 said:
yesss same i was like oop this is what i have been waiting for and then i was let down smh😔

It’s not going to happen that quickly. That would be so out of character for him. I don’t think Seigi has completely melted Richard’s heart yet.
Jan 30, 2020 12:58 PM

Apr 2010
Is it me or Seigi's behavior was weird? I mean, no doubt it was weird as a whole, but he didn't act like this until now. Even if he did, not in such a blunt manner as here. It was screaming he was tactless, both with Richard and Yamamoto.

A fine episode, but this thing bugged me a bit.

Jan 30, 2020 1:34 PM

May 2012
I think Seigi feels the need to impress the women who come to Richard's shop. I think he see's it as part of being an adult male. It's another reason why I think Seigi is heterosexual and not likely to end up with Richard. Seigi is clearly drawn to Shouko-san as well.
Jan 30, 2020 1:54 PM

Aug 2017
EfiChan said:
Is it me or Seigi's behavior was weird? I mean, no doubt it was weird as a whole, but he didn't act like this until now. Even if he did, not in such a blunt manner as here. It was screaming he was tactless, both with Richard and Yamamoto.

Yeah, it was kinda weird. I mean it's one thing that he was talking about Richard to his friend in a way his friend could no longer tell that he is not talking about a woman. But it's a completely other thing when he basically starts to praise Richard in front of a complete stranger. It's hilariously awkward. And insensitive.

He totally deserved that ambiguous message. I was actually waiting for the punch line while he was reading it and I was quite disappointed when there wasn't any. Only to find out that Richard left it to the end. Well done!

Anyway that whole message was so sarcastic. At least that's how I felt it. Not because of the gay undertone since I clearly don't have a problem with that. But I just can't imagine Richard saying something like that. It's so out of character for him. Or if he would really say that it would be hilarious beyond measure. Frankly, it's more like Seigi to say something like that about anyone. Especially after seeing this episode. :D
"If you think you can talk your way out of this one, by all means please do." - Near
Jan 30, 2020 2:16 PM

Dec 2014
The message was weird
Jan 30, 2020 2:24 PM

Mar 2013
When I saw the message, I gave the same face Seigi did, lol. Richard definitely being sarcastic-- it was out of character for him.
Jan 30, 2020 3:13 PM

Sep 2011
Richard really knows how to deal with people. He was able to make Seigi see that he has to be mindful of what he says and how others will take it with that message. He also told Yamamoto just what she needed to hear to move on. And I believe he was being honest too. I mean, he had nothing to gain by helping her, but he still did it. Living is indeed a battle, and I hope she can continue working hard. I love that she sent them that plant too. Oh, and it was nice to hear about the diamonds too!
Jan 30, 2020 3:29 PM

Feb 2017
I'm just wondering, if you saw your ex of seven years picking an engagement ring for another person, would your first thought be to run to the jeweler and cry your eyeballs out? In what universe would that be considered a reasonable thing to do? Except for this universe of course.
Over all, the episode was good. Interesting information on garnets and its nicely woven in to the story. Also, Seigi finally had a sit-down with Richard, thank God. Hope he learns to shut his mouth so that his actually lovable personality shows.
Jan 30, 2020 4:03 PM

Jun 2008
EfiChan said:

I haven’t read this particular case in the novel, but most of those lines in this episode that Seigi said about Richard’s beauty were actually from earlier parts of the story, in different situations. The anime cut all of those instances of him thinking/talking about Richard’s beauty before this and shoved them all into this episode because it’s an episode that talks about beauty but I think that was a mistake because now it feels really out of nowhere. And that’s not the first time that they’ve taken dialogue from other parts of the story and put it somewhere else. Seigi going off about bad dads in the previous episode didn’t happen in that case in the novel. The anime feels really disjointed to me sometimes but I guess that’s what happens when you put 4 volumes into 12 episodes.

Outside of that issue though, I personally think this was the best episode yet. I didn't feel like many things were missing this time.
hirahiraJan 30, 2020 4:15 PM
Jan 30, 2020 5:15 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I never knew there was so much lore behind the Garnet gemstone and I'm glad that Yamamoto didn't buy the engagement ring for herself.
Jan 31, 2020 12:05 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Yeees, they talked about the diamond scam! Diamonds really aren't that beautiful in comparison to other gemstones anyways.

I think Seigi has been shown to be sort of an eager guy, so he always makes conversations with customers, but of course, he still doesn't entirely understand the lines of being professional. I don't think he was entirely out of line in praising Richard's beauty though, since Yamamoto said it first. Normal flow of conversation would be just like that, "Right? He's really good looking," or something. Seigi did overdo it, with extra comments about how he's not tired of looking at Richard, and in fact, he thinks Richard looks more beautiful everyday. Indeed, that was a bit cringeworthy and would even make Richard feel uncomfortable, probably. Richard telling Seigi that offhand comments/praises like that can hurt others, which I can completely understand in his line of work with customer service, but in this specific case, praising someone's physical appearance and hurting another person because of that praise is honestly just on the insecurity of the person who got hurt by it. Yes, Yamamoto was sensitive due to her recent breakup, but to lecture Seigi due to that incident made me roll my eyes and chuckle. I agree that Seigi should learn what professional casual talk is, though. Just not because of this. That text message Richard sent to make a point was also a bit laughable because it was just SO RANDOM. Seigi didn't praise Richard out of nowhere, he did it because someone else mentioned it first! /rant

That being said, I think Yamamoto's line of thinking is pretty relatable. People will be envious of or in awe of those who are considered physically attractive. If she was with her boyfriend for 7 years (iirc), then I think it's actually safe to assume that he's not a bad guy and he didn't break up with her because the other girl is younger and prettier. Sometimes, you do just fall out of love with someone and fall in love with someone new. But she thinks that that is the entire reason they broke up, which is, well, also a bit understandable. Well it's like the whole gemstone thing, too. Diamonds are beautiful in people's eyes, but not everyone will prefer a diamond. Beauty is in the eye of its beholder!
tingyJan 31, 2020 12:09 AM
Jan 31, 2020 2:22 AM

Jul 2017
Another episode, and another case of a gemstone, this time: the garnet.

And Seigi STILL DOESN'T KNOW how to shut up and be professional in front of clients, and it shows in Richard's replies. Now though this incident, more tact must be taken, and Seigi acknolwedges his faults.

to answer why diamonds are used in marriages, it's all marketing scam and fabrication that drives value and not quality can even trounce it.

But of course, it depends on the client on their own thoughts about gemstones and their own preconceptions. For one, Richard isn't so much of a secret spy, but his noticeability is quite strong, and with it, his perception.

For this week's client in question, horoscopes come in handy for birthdays and birthstones to signify their personalities, and that's how Yamamoto chooses to lead her life, and that says a lot. However, gemstones shouldn't be treated the same way as individualistic situations. In the case of the garnet, more than hardwork and perseverance, the "life is a battle" moniker suits the meaning behind the gemstone well.

Great episode for once! Caught the meaning of it, well done.

tingy said:
Beauty is in the eye of its beholder!
What a perfect quote to sum this well!
Jan 31, 2020 3:46 AM

Mar 2016
The way the girl was shown when she was introduced, I assumed the director wanted us to make deductions about her, and so I did. All of my deductions turned out to be correct, so the director did a good job making things understandable.

I think Seigi looks better than Richard. Well, I prefer guys with darker hair and eyes.

Finally, I found something in this anime that I find annoying: the hints of a gay relationship that is not ever going to go anywhere. It's made even more annoying by the girl that Seigi likes.
Jan 31, 2020 5:19 AM

Apr 2010
Clara12 said:
EfiChan said:

Yeah, it was kinda weird. I mean it's one thing that he was talking about Richard to his friend in a way his friend could no longer tell that he is not talking about a woman. But it's a completely other thing when he basically starts to praise Richard in front of a complete stranger. It's hilariously awkward. And insensitive.

He totally deserved that ambiguous message. I was actually waiting for the punch line while he was reading it and I was quite disappointed when there wasn't any. Only to find out that Richard left it to the end. Well done!

Anyway that whole message was so sarcastic. At least that's how I felt it. Not because of the gay undertone since I clearly don't have a problem with that. But I just can't imagine Richard saying something like that. It's so out of character for him. Or if he would really say that it would be hilarious beyond measure. Frankly, it's more like Seigi to say something like that about anyone. Especially after seeing this episode. :D

Well, I knew right away he wanted to make him feel uncomfrotable. Seigi was so clueless in this episode it was scary. I don't mind about gay undertones... but I know there shouldn't be any of them, as he has a crush on a girl, so it totally feels wierd.
hirahira said:
EfiChan said:

I haven’t read this particular case in the novel, but most of those lines in this episode that Seigi said about Richard’s beauty were actually from earlier parts of the story, in different situations. The anime cut all of those instances of him thinking/talking about Richard’s beauty before this and shoved them all into this episode because it’s an episode that talks about beauty but I think that was a mistake because now it feels really out of nowhere. And that’s not the first time that they’ve taken dialogue from other parts of the story and put it somewhere else. Seigi going off about bad dads in the previous episode didn’t happen in that case in the novel. The anime feels really disjointed to me sometimes but I guess that’s what happens when you put 4 volumes into 12 episodes.

Outside of that issue though, I personally think this was the best episode yet. I didn't feel like many things were missing this time.

Well, it makes sense... I mean... it doesn't make sense they did that way in the anime, but at least in the original material, it wasn't as awkward.

Jan 31, 2020 5:39 AM

Aug 2017
EfiChan said:
Clara12 said:

Well, I knew right away he wanted to make him feel uncomfrotable. Seigi was so clueless in this episode it was scary. I don't mind about gay undertones... but I know there shouldn't be any of them, as he has a crush on a girl, so it totally feels wierd.

I totally agree with you.
"If you think you can talk your way out of this one, by all means please do." - Near
Jan 31, 2020 5:46 AM

Nov 2009
EfiChan said:
Clara12 said:

hirahira said:

Well, it makes sense... I mean... it doesn't make sense they did that way in the anime, but at least in the original material, it wasn't as awkward.

Bisexual people don't exist.

Also imagine watching this and still thinking he will end with the girl, lul
BernrikaJan 31, 2020 5:59 AM
Jan 31, 2020 6:47 AM

Jun 2008
Bernrika said:

I was about to make a similar post, thanks for doing it for me.

Seigi liking a girl does not mean he can’t ever like a guy. I don’t know for sure if he’ll end up with Richard, since this isn’t BL, but I think there is absolutely no way he will end up with Tanimoto.
Jan 31, 2020 9:31 AM

Nov 2009
hirahira said:
Bernrika said:

I was about to make a similar post, thanks for doing it for me.

Seigi liking a girl does not mean he can’t ever like a guy. I don’t know for sure if he’ll end up with Richard, since this isn’t BL, but I think there is absolutely no way he will end up with Tanimoto.

Even if he doesn't, you have to be blind to not notice what the author actually likes in term of pairing lol. Like how do people pick up these anime and don't notice it.
Feb 1, 2020 2:51 AM

Apr 2010
Bernrika said:
EfiChan said:

I didn't say he as straight and not bisexual, but right not he has a crush on someone rather than him. Despite all his weird words next to him, he still acts like he has a crush on her rather than him. I call her a girl cause I can't remember her name and too lazy to check XD

Feb 1, 2020 8:45 AM

May 2015
Yes, Seigi needed to be called out at his carelessness with words. Every time he speaks, I get second-hand embarrassment. So glad Richard brought this up and it was pretty obvious what he tried to do with that weird message.

The story with the garnet girl was ok, I guess. A bit sad that people put so much emphasis on beauty though. I can imagine how it can also be annoying for Richachd to hear it all the time as if he doesn't have any other qualities.
Feb 1, 2020 1:37 PM
Nov 2019
Man seigi never bothered me this much before but he really just came off as lowkey insensitive this episode,,, idk i feel like rather than him saying “oh im sUre youll find someone eventually!!” He couldve reassured her of her beauty or smthn instead of that halfassed comment. but then on the other hand, she is just a stranger and it is kinda weird for her to be dumping all this on a jeweler so ig he cant rlly be blamed lol
Feb 2, 2020 1:26 AM

Mar 2014
I'm really glad that Richard taught Seigi how much his "loose mouth" could get him in trouble. I noticed it before and while I know he is naturally a good person but he likes to open his mouth a lot and it kinda annoys me. He is nice and friendly but also nosy person and the more he compliments someone the more it feels like he is some guy who is trying to sell you sh*t you don't need
RedChromeFeb 2, 2020 1:34 AM
Feb 2, 2020 11:06 AM

Oct 2017
Seigi was really careless with his words, he should have been more careful. Yamamoto san's ex is a real jack ass. Date a girl for seven years then dump her find a new girl and already get engaged with her, wth man just die already trash. Also lol Richard really likes sweets.
Feb 2, 2020 1:47 PM

Feb 2018
hirahira said:
EfiChan said:

If you've read the novel, could you tell me if there's going to be a relationship development between Seigi and Richard? Or if it's just the anime doing some fanservice with gay undertones? LOL
Feb 3, 2020 7:19 AM
Feb 2020
Harucchan said:
hirahira said:

If you've read the novel, could you tell me if there's going to be a relationship development between Seigi and Richard? Or if it's just the anime doing some fanservice with gay undertones? LOL

Feb 3, 2020 12:46 PM

Dec 2016
okay we get it richard "has a pretty face" does he have any fucking personality traits though
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Feb 3, 2020 9:55 PM

Feb 2018
anpan_tae said:

Feb 4, 2020 10:36 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Damn that was really sad, I felt so bad for this girl
Feb 6, 2020 8:21 AM

Oct 2018
I thought Richard was proposing, but it didn't happen :(
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Feb 7, 2020 2:31 AM

Jul 2012
A bit depressing of an episode lol

Harucchan said:
anpan_tae said:

Feb 7, 2020 2:14 PM

Feb 2018
Mayuka said:
A bit depressing of an episode lol

Harucchan said:

Feb 8, 2020 9:41 AM

Jul 2009
anpan_tae said:
Harucchan said:

Ricard's dialogues are so eloquent. Is sad to read that this anime has cut many lines of the novel :((( at least I totally feeled the point of Richard´s words, and OMG... In my country THAT text is called "sentada de culo" HAHA.

emraanash said:
I thought Richard was proposing, but it didn't happen :(

Man, that was a totally and well played declaration. Seigi just don't get it (oh well, he want not to get it LOL).
Feb 10, 2020 2:06 AM

Jun 2019
FuMomo-kun said:
Finally, I found something in this anime that I find annoying: the hints of a gay relationship that is not ever going to go anywhere. It's made even more annoying by the girl that Seigi likes.

Where is a gay relationship being hinted at in this show so far? I see a few folks commenting along similar lines, but perhaps that's just the audience reading into something that isn't there? I haven't picked up on any such hints. The two leads are males who can be considered conventionally attractive and struck up a friendship quite quickly as well as an evolving work rapport, but nothing in here seemed to signal anything romantic or sexual.
Feb 13, 2020 2:52 AM

Mar 2009
Is Seigi okay? Curious to see what happened with his father, because he clearly has some issues.
Mar 17, 2020 4:55 AM

Nov 2016
Yamamoto came off as someone blackpilled lol.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 9, 2020 7:44 AM

Oct 2016
Don't know, cases are getting sillier by the episodes. The first one around the protagonist was very touching but the rest weren't quite up there. This one was just the worst.

And the silly gay vibes are obviously just fujobait.

Might drop this one, will try next episode and decide based on it.
Apr 22, 2020 1:42 PM

Jul 2015
I wonder how Richard feels hearing Seigi say all those things about him lol. At least he addressed what we were all thinking about seigi, loved the troll message he sent him

Jan 23, 2022 8:39 PM

Feb 2020
the second-hand embarrassment from seigi raving about his boss' beauty in front of said boss and their client... also is richard supposed to be a jeweler or a therapist?? well gotta have that convenient episodic drama to keep the story going I guess
Jan 25, 2022 1:58 PM
Aug 2020
honestly Richard is more like a therapist than a jeweler at this point lol
Apr 7, 2022 7:31 PM

Jul 2021
The depression I'm getting in this episode :(
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2020

70 by Destroyer31 »»
Aug 31, 2023 10:56 AM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

73 by BlaizeV »»
Jun 14, 2023 1:04 PM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

46 by removed-user »»
Jan 23, 2023 1:35 PM

» Official English release of the novel is out now

hirahira - Jun 30, 2022

2 by demision »»
Jun 30, 2022 3:44 PM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

33 by Kitty-Kate »»
Apr 14, 2022 9:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.