Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 28, 2020 8:14 PM

May 2013
Now usually I make a thread on something I have an opinion on, not this time.

I have never seen any idol anime and have been doing atleast some research into those nice bishonen idol anime. Plan to watch Uta no prince sama which is an idol anime I think, lol.

But I want to gauge the general anime community's opinion on such anime. It doesn't have to be boy idol either, only speaking on my general interest.

Now please tell me your thoughts on this music anime subgenre.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 28, 2020 8:21 PM

May 2018
Obligatory it depend on execution. I only watch girl idol. Love Zombieland Saga and the first Love Live. Idol anime is usually a hit or miss for me.
Jan 28, 2020 8:27 PM
Jan 2012
I'm not in the target demographic, hell I'm not even into female idol shows and I'm far closer to that demographic, but if someone can get as much joy from a male idol anime that I get from a Yuasa work then they should absolutely keep with it, or try it in your case.
Jan 28, 2020 8:28 PM

May 2013
Gorochu said:
Obligatory it depend on execution. I only watch girl idol. Love Zombieland Saga and the first Love Live. Idol anime is usually a hit or miss for me.

I hear it is pretty hit and miss with alot of people.

And lol, you have no idea how many people recommend me Zombieland saga since it has a transgender character.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Jan 28, 2020 8:33 PM

Mar 2018
I'd totally suggest Uta No Prince Sama! I had a lot of fun with the first two seasons, and if you dig some reverse-harem and shoujo bullshit? It's perfect.

As for my personal opinion on idol shows? I love them! I find something so wholesome about the whole genre (though, wasn't a fan of Zombieland Saga because it felt like it was a parody of the genre). I really want to watch more of them because I've enjoyed what I've seen! Also helps that I have the Love Live and UtaPri mobile games that I frequently play, haha
Jan 28, 2020 8:34 PM

Dec 2016
Not really a big fan of how this kind of show tends to go, good music helps, Love Live get a pass because I like the games and Nico, ZLS too

The thing with Idol anime is that it's feels too plastic.
heh.
Jan 28, 2020 8:35 PM

May 2013
beargolfer said:
I'd totally suggest Uta No Prince Sama! I had a lot of fun with the first two seasons, and if you dig some reverse-harem and shoujo bullshit? It's perfect.

As for my personal opinion on idol shows? I love them! I find something so wholesome about the whole genre (though, wasn't a fan of Zombieland Saga because it felt like it was a parody of the genre). I really want to watch more of them because I've enjoyed what I've seen! Also helps that I have the Love Live and UtaPri mobile games that I frequently play, haha

Haha, sounds like Uta no Prince sama is up my alley, exactly what I thought it was.

I should also play the PSP game for it I found at a thrift store that one time, lol.

@Bob-o-Dominador I should also watch love live simply because of its popularity. Also I should out of spite since I read Berserk, lol.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Jan 28, 2020 8:37 PM

Jan 2019
As I am not a huge fan of japanese music and I struggle to get through music basic anime. It makes it worse when the characters aren't playing any instruments though. I have been in a band before and my favorite genre of music is classic rock, so it is hard to watch idols when their music is so vastly different from what appeals to me. The only music based show I have finished is season 1 of K-On and even then I am close to dropping it in season 2. The only good thing about idol shows is (when they are girls) the character designs are great. One of the hottest anime characters is the blue haired chick from Aikatsu Friends. The only good idol show is Idol Sister.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Jan 28, 2020 8:37 PM

Jul 2017
I've seen a decent amount, currently watching some more

From my experience, I found girl idol anime (Love Live, idolm@ster) to be just plain annoying with its characters. Boy idol I found to be a lot better in that regard. Songs as well I generally found the dude idol anime to have better sounding songs than the girl ones. The show with the best songs imo was Ensemble Stars, but it's a shame cause they barely actually show any of the songs in lieu of showing pointless backstory and whatnot

Best one I've seen so far is idolish7

Jan 28, 2020 8:39 PM

May 2013
Short_Circut said:
I've seen a decent amount, currently watching some more

From my experience, I found girl idol anime (Love Live, idolm@ster) to be just plain annoying with its characters. Boy idol I found to be a lot better in that regard. Songs as well I generally found the dude idol anime to have better sounding songs than the girl ones. The show with the best songs imo was Ensemble Stars, but it's a shame cause they barely actually show any of the songs in lieu of showing pointless backstory and whatnot

Best one I've seen so far is idolish7

Thanks for mentioning Ensemble Stars and idolish7.

I forgot their names, lol.

A year life saver.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Jan 28, 2020 8:41 PM
Jul 2018
I'm an iDOLM@STER fan since it got me young back when they were still only games, and I maintain that iM@S has the best games and music. I can't get into any other idol series because they lack the complicated characters, excellent, diverse music, and features of iM@S.
Jan 28, 2020 8:55 PM

Dec 2014
Seen 99% of every existing girl idol / music anime out there. #FactualClaim jk idk maybe? XD

Only watch it for the music, the characters and the same old generic story line which I find always amusing to watch, never gets boring. ^^ Becomes a big plus if studio has budget to do nice dance animations. best genre in the W0RLD, especially when they got them motivational dialogues, they are my energy. >:

IAMQTJan 28, 2020 9:02 PM

Jan 28, 2020 8:58 PM

May 2016
Idol anime isn't for everyone, and tend to be focused towards fans of those specific idol groups. (Only have seen BanG Dream, Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls, and Zombieland Saga). While I've only played the BanG Dream and Cinderella girls games, I'd still be interested in checking other idol anime out. Songs and dances can be enjoyable, light atmosphere for the most part, and doesn't need to be super complex. Only downside is their execution. Whether that being how interesting the characters are to how different their music is. I don't know, I enjoy idol music, so I'm up for any series!

Now I do sometimes get annoyed by how idol anime is perceived in the anime community. Tends to get a lot of unnecessary hate from people who tend to have not even watched an idol anime before. Especially the CGI hate train. Most of the time CGI dance routines look fine, people just need to get over their CGI allergy.
Jan 28, 2020 8:58 PM

Oct 2019
ohh boy. i had very negative opinions about idol anime...

but then, i watched iDOLish7 and i was enlightened. i couldn't believe how wrong i was.

idol animes are basically just best boy fests. it was heaven, HEAVEN for me T^T
Jan 28, 2020 8:59 PM

Jul 2012
Def not for everyone. Just don't watch idol anime if you don't enjoy those types of things.

I like them because the music is really good in some series, like Tsukiuta and Utapri have good songs.
Jan 28, 2020 9:01 PM

Apr 2015
I've personally never watched any idol anime (they're usually long running series, which is daunting to me) but I've seen videos of the games (does that count?) and I think they're pretty alright. Characters typically have flashy outfits and their dances / songs are neat.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jan 28, 2020 9:02 PM

Mar 2016
I've never quite fell in love with any idol anime I've seen though I appreciate idolm@ster's plethora of girls and the fanart they inspire.

I've also found that Wake Up, Girls! music is very underrated.
syncrogazerJan 28, 2020 9:09 PM
Jan 28, 2020 9:05 PM

May 2013
@avuavu I imagine with a good budget it does get as good as you say it does.

@Gneissic That has been my major apprehension with the genre is that I don't particularly care about idol groups, lol. Maybe anime can get me to care.

@aisakafuyumi Best boi fests sounds pretty gr8 ngl.

@Mayuka Yeah I imagine it is like alot of other niche genres. You either love it or hate it.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Jan 28, 2020 9:07 PM

Jul 2012
Tropisch said:
I've personally never watched any idol anime (they're usually long running series, which is daunting to me)

Eh? I mean other than stuff like Pripara, most idol anime are short.

Love Live is under 30 episodes in its entirety.
Idolish17 is like 18 episodes plus a currently ongoing second season.
IM@S is like 20 something episodes.
Jan 28, 2020 9:14 PM

Sep 2018
Never been a fan, even though I think girl anime idols are adorable and fun to watch, in my opinion you see one you see all and it gets a little tiring. However lots of fun rhythm games come out of this stuff, so I’m not complaining (looking at you bang dream)
Jan 28, 2020 9:16 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I had such a wrong impression of the genre before I gave it a watch
Thought it'd be some very cheesy little girls' thing.

Till one day fanart and friends playing the source material got me curious and here we are.
While the stories of idol anime may be rather simplistic, the individual character stories absolutely are not. They're still people with own lives, own fears and ambitions, and sometimes that clashes with what's expected of them.

It's fun to watch them grow over time
Jan 28, 2020 9:23 PM
Jul 2018
Personally, I don't find the idea interesting, aside from seeing a bunch of cute girls. Let's be real: that's the only reason we watch them.
I think the problem with idol anime, at least the ones I've seen, is how the girls' idol personalities perfectly mesh with their real personalities.
Actual idols are just normal people: they're not cheerful and giddy 24/7. When they're on stage, they're putting on a persona that contradicts their actual personality.
That Japanese idol you see on tv who is all feminine, cutesy, giddy, may actually suffer from depression, anxiety, and a bunch of other humane flaws. She may actually be very shy and reserved. And trying to keep up that idol persona can be stressful.
Although I've heard Perfect Blue does exactly that: show how the idol persona can clash and even mess with, the actual personality.
Jan 28, 2020 9:38 PM

May 2009
My first exposure to it was The iDOLM@STER, which is focused on the "backstage" show business aspects and the characterization and (for select characters) character development, and I really like it.

However moving onto AKB0048, that didn't interest me as much, despite me actually liking the songs more on average. Perhaps if AKB0048 had kept on focusing on the political angle, it might have been more enjoyable to me, but instead it did stuff with succession drama and whatnot...

And when I tried Aikatsu, that turned out to be pretty much entirely focused on the spectacle -- the costumes, the dancing, the glamour and glitz -- and that's the part I basically don't care at all about, so I dropped it basically immediately.

Idol concerts have never been all that interesting to me, similarly. I do like the lighting effects, but I'm much more focused on the music than the dancing/choreography or the costumes. And idol concert episodes of shows that aren't focused on idol concerts are generally not that interesting to me.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 28, 2020 10:00 PM

May 2013
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Personally, I don't find the idea interesting, aside from seeing a bunch of cute girls. Let's be real: that's the only reason we watch them.
I think the problem with idol anime, at least the ones I've seen, is how the girls' idol personalities perfectly mesh with their real personalities.
Actual idols are just normal people: they're not cheerful and giddy 24/7. When they're on stage, they're putting on a persona that contradicts their actual personality.
That Japanese idol you see on tv who is all feminine, cutesy, giddy, may actually suffer from depression, anxiety, and a bunch of other humane flaws. She may actually be very shy and reserved. And trying to keep up that idol persona can be stressful.
Although I've heard Perfect Blue does exactly that: show how the idol persona can clash and even mess with, the actual personality.

Yeah I can see that. There is a certain unrealistic nature to the idol personas in anime.

But it’s also fiction so it’s up to the individual and their suspension of disbelief.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Jan 28, 2020 10:13 PM

Feb 2018
It's just like any genre of anime, some are good, some are bad, and some make you want to go back in time to assassinate yourself. There was definitely a point where a lot of people had a poor opinion of them and saw them as cash grabs (much like isekais are currently treated), but I think that's cooled down a lot in recent years.
"If it's not big, it's only a bust," some guy on the internet
Jan 28, 2020 10:23 PM

Jul 2012
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Shounen Hollywood is a good idol anime that shows like, the behind the scenes stuff. How idols are human and they struggle to become idols.
Jan 28, 2020 10:36 PM

Jul 2016
Alpha_Tranny said:
Gorochu said:

And lol, you have no idea how many people recommend me Zombieland saga since it has a transgender character.

You should watch it though,it’s pretty funny and the characters are pretty likeable.It can also be really wholesome at times too.
Jan 28, 2020 11:04 PM

May 2013
Missaliensan said:
Alpha_Tranny said:

You should watch it though,it’s pretty funny and the characters are pretty likeable.It can also be really wholesome at times too.

I know I probably should be we know I am also a rebel at heart, lol.

I’ll get around to it for sure.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Jan 28, 2020 11:22 PM

Apr 2013
I have only seen idols in anime of other genres, played as a joke in one or two episodes. I can't really understand the concept, I get it they are cute and that's the reason why people become fans? Seems pretty shallow, not really into that kind of thing.
Jan 28, 2020 11:24 PM
Jul 2018
Was against it, now i kinda like it. XD
Jan 28, 2020 11:28 PM

May 2018
If PriPara is any indication they start hype and fun but run out of ideas and out of steam around the first 20 episodes.

I guess Macross is an idol show - like the first really popular one but it also has mechs and space battles to shuffle the formula.
I tried AKB0048 which is supposed to be similar but in different proportions - less mecha, more idol stuff but got bored after 5 episodes.
Jan 29, 2020 12:46 AM

Aug 2018
Shounen Hollywood was nice, it felt much more grounded than the usual goofy and fan service-filled filled idol series. Not that there's anything wrong with that stuff either.

As for best songs, I'd have to say Macross Delta even though it's not purely an idol anime but more of a mecha-action series. The plot goes nowhere and I lost interest halfway through, but some of the songs are just damn great. My favorite is Hametsu no Junjou.
Jan 29, 2020 1:35 AM

May 2014
I really don't like them. Watching Love Live was comparable to torture. The only one i finished was Aikatsu Friends. It kept me going due to the songs and great character designs, but aside from that it's a lot of nothing. Just seeing cute girls isn't enough for me, i need some depth to it all. Plus i always think of Perfect Blue when watching idol anime and how horrific that was lol. Why are these girls so happy to have their lives controlled? Is all i think.

I am watching "If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die" and really enjoying it. But i don't think it counts as your typical "idol anime".
Jan 29, 2020 1:37 AM

Sep 2019
It's rather interesting.

If you look at things like Love Live and Idolm@ster , they tend to be more Slice of life.
Yet, some recently have been blending into some other genres. Comedy, sci-fi/mech, and, of course, zombies.

So I'm finding it really interesting on how they're blending different genres and elements into something that should be rather basic. Then again, idols are of course, BIG, in Japan and the number 1 reason why Berserk keeps being slow .
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Jan 29, 2020 1:59 AM
May 2019
I like Macross it's a fantastic idol anime plus it has action and romance.
Perfect Blue is another one that I like, it shows dark side of idol industry.
Jan 29, 2020 2:10 AM

Jun 2017
Well I don't watch male idol shows because I'm not into bishounen anime and haven't seen much female idol shows but I watch them because I'm a fan of SoL and CGDCT shows; They are mostly unrealistic but because of characters growth and their interactions, they can be good...
Jan 29, 2020 2:49 AM
Jul 2018
I never watched idol shows with female idols, simply cause I'm not interested in female MCs in general.

While I do love some contemporary Japanese music, I do not really go for music anime.
Only thing from that genre I ever watched cause a friend loved it so much was Uta no Prince-sama, and while the boys were all super cute I found it to be rather boring lol

But hey, I haven't seen it all yet, maybe it's out there, the one entertaining idol anime with pretty boys and great music, that doesn't put me to sleep - who knows XD
Jan 29, 2020 3:20 AM

Jan 2010
Alpha_Tranny said:
Now usually I make a thread on something I have an opinion on, not this time.

I have never seen any idol anime and have been doing atleast some research into those nice bishonen idol anime. Plan to watch Uta no prince sama which is an idol anime I think, lol.

But I want to gauge the general anime community's opinion on such anime. It doesn't have to be boy idol either, only speaking on my general interest.

Now please tell me your thoughts on this music anime subgenre.

I don't have much experience either bcs I used to dislike unbalanced cast (100% female or male).
I tried watching Utapri but I don't like it. Mainly because I don't enjoy harem at all.
Recently though, I tried Tsukiuta The Animation. I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much that I'm quite invested in it now. It's been weeks and I don't think I'll move on anytime soon.
Tsukiuta is more slice of life than anything. I used to hate slice of life too, but now I understand the appeal of it.

So, I suggest, you find out what your dislike and like and then see if idol anime contain those elements/theme.
As far as I know, it's mostly around slice of life/harem/dreamchasing/cgdct (and also cute boys doing cute things).

I also like the songs.

So far, Utapri and Tsukiuta is the only two idol anime I've watched.
CrimsonMidnightJan 29, 2020 3:36 AM
Jan 29, 2020 3:23 AM
Apr 2016
Repugnant and unwelcome modern phenomenon that only further damages the minds and demographics of the Japanese society.
Re:formed
Jan 29, 2020 3:35 AM

Jan 2010
Daniel_Naumov said:
Repugnant and unwelcome modern phenomenon that only further damages the minds and demographics of the Japanese society.
Have you watched any? If no, then your statement held no value at all.
Jan 29, 2020 3:42 AM

Feb 2019
Yeah, I totally hate idol anime to my core. It's so disgusting, there's no artistic value to be gotten out of them at all, the girls are all one dimensional tropes, amirite, guys? Right? Yeah, I showed it to them.
Jan 29, 2020 4:16 AM
Apr 2016
Shicchi said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

There is no need to watch/read/get to know/experience something to know about its influence on the others. Your statement lacks insight and mature level of consideration into the concept of knowledge itself.
Kosmonaut said:
Yeah, I totally hate idol anime to my core. It's so disgusting, there's no artistic value to be gotten out of them at all, the girls are all one dimensional tropes, amirite, guys? Right? Yeah, I showed it to them.

Yes, you saved me time by simply having your quote on the essence of those "idol" shows. None of them ever deal with how hard and mentally destructive being an "idol" in Japan is. From mental illnesses to stalking to occasional breakdown leading to suicide.
Re:formed
Jan 29, 2020 4:24 AM

Nov 2016
It isn't for me but I do know that some animes have enought quality to be loved such as Love Live and a lot of others, so I won't trash talk them, unless they are really bad.
Jan 29, 2020 4:25 AM

Dec 2015
Love Live is a magic show where the girls already can dance and sing with close to zero % training.
In my eyes it's a magic show.

But the thing with Love Live is that it got a lot of nice girls with fun personality's.

It's a enjoyable show, but vs a show like Idolm@ster it's pretty much garbage as a idol show.

I'm a lot more for Idolm@ster as it's a show based on showing the Japanes audience how the life of the idols plays out.

Idolm@ster = more serious.
Love Live = Wifu anime with magic.
Wake up girls = a serious idol show that is losing it's quality as it goes on.

Jan 29, 2020 5:23 AM

Aug 2012
If they make good music, i'll watch it.
Jan 29, 2020 6:01 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Idol anime are really enjoyable. My preferences go mostly to Aikatsu! and the Pretty Rhytm series, but I'm also a big fan of the Magic Idol Singer trope.
Jan 29, 2020 6:06 AM

Jan 2010
Daniel_Naumov said:
Shicchi said:

There is no need to watch/read/get to know/experience something to know about its influence on the others. Your statement lacks insight and mature level of consideration into the concept of knowledge itself.

Right. Sorry, now I kinda get it. though I still think ppl that haven't actually experience it themselves shouldn't judge or else ppl won't take what you say seriously

Now that I reread your statement, I just realized it might be true. As I experienced it myself firsthand, the power those kind of anime have over it's fans is terrifying... like I said, I had just gotten into it myself, it was a new experience for me and I'm on the verge of being completely obsessed by it and I'm only just starting. Now imagine if I embraced it fully, consuming everything they had to offer... luckily I live miles away from Japan, it's so hard to get my hands on the stage play performances, official physical copies of CDs and Blurays, merchs, and all that.

To get what I mean, just listen to this song, one lyric and you'll get what the song is about:
https://youtu.be/xlCHauOmEi8?t=100

When I listened to it for the first time, I was shocked, lol. Like, who the hell make this song?! The most terrifying of it all is, IT WORKS. I want... Shun. I want a fucking fictional character that doesn't exist to whisper things to me. For the first time ever, I was actually scared. And ashamed. It's pathetic, really.

Look how many Japanese women obsessed with such thing. The problem of women not wanting to marry or have kids. The situation of the current Japanese society...

I have no idea how the other side works, but I guess it's more or less the same for the male counterpart too.

I don't want to really blame the industry, as I'm currently enjoying it very much and is slowly becoming one of them (women that only want to live alone and for theirself).

Tbh I have no idea how to approach the situation. Is it really wrong for the industry to make such thing and for us to enjoy it and continue living the way we are?

I'm currently at the point of wanting to work in Japan so I can attend those stage play performance and comic market. I'm so screwed.

Though it's really just a hobby... and I'm more into shipping the boys with each other than with myself. This is my first time actually experiencing such thing (shipping fictional character with myself).

Daniel_Naumov said:

Yes, you saved me time by simply having your quote on the essence of those "idol" shows. None of them ever deal with how hard and mentally destructive being an "idol" in Japan is. From mental illnesses to stalking to occasional breakdown leading to suicide.

Now,this is something I want to see too.
CrimsonMidnightJan 29, 2020 6:43 AM
Jan 29, 2020 6:10 AM

Oct 2014
I love idol anime. It's easily one of my favourite genres. I know a lot of them are very similar, but the cute girls in pretty outfits singing often great songs always cheers me up. A lot of them also show them exercising, which I think is nice for anime. Overall it's a great genre. Out of all the anime about CGDCT a lot of my favourites are idol anime.
Jan 29, 2020 6:14 AM
Jul 2018
Nah not my bag at all. The music always sucks. I do like the anime figurines though. I have some Hatsune Mika and Super Sonico ones. And Megurine Luka.
Jan 29, 2020 6:14 AM

Jul 2016
Most of the time, I hate them. Mostly because I hate idol music. It feels like the tritest, cheapest, McDonald's-esque form of music with a hideous aesthetic to go along with it. And the idol anime feel exactly the same to me.

Even the parody ones, like Zombieland Saga I ended up dropping after a while because of the same problems (also, in the case of Zombieland, Mamoru Miyano's character was annoying as fuck and I couldn't stand him)
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 12 hours ago

55 by LostSpectre »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 4 hours ago

16 by Archean-Return »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

130 by Ozpin5 »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 4 hours ago

5 by Kouroubelo »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 10 hours ago

13 by ColourWheel »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.