Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 27, 2020 5:03 PM

Mar 2019
Was wondering what people's thoughts are.
Jan 27, 2020 5:42 PM

Aug 2016
Everything before Schierke is good.
Jan 27, 2020 6:45 PM

Jul 2011
Golden Age. Everything after that didn't happen for me.

Jan 28, 2020 10:05 AM

Jan 2012
Golden Age is a masterpiece. But Lost Children is a better sweet story that I like the most.
How I love a game
Jan 28, 2020 3:54 PM

May 2015
I really liked only the first arch. All subsequent ones got worse and worse for me, including Golden Age (still good for me though).
And I hate the current RPG-party circus with sorceresses, monkeys and comedy fairies.
MakiramayJan 28, 2020 4:03 PM
Jan 29, 2020 3:03 PM
Mar 2018
honestly cant really say. golden age is what got me hooked and i loved it ever since. only criticism i have is the introduction of magic feels very, "shounen", and puck constant jokes are quite annoying when he use to be valuable comic relief
Jan 29, 2020 3:16 PM

Mar 2014
It's gonna be really hard to find a best arc poll where the Golden Age doesn't win considering it's what actually made Berserk the story it is, it conveys the most important plot lines and shaped the narrative and motivations of the protagonist. Conviction was my second favorite arc when i was reading it through the first time although i gotta admit "Lost Children" has aged quite well on me. Falcon of the Millennium empire is basically universally considered as the most boring arc.

The current arc is shaping to be my favorite one from a long long time considering how important to the story is gonna be the
and also because Miura's artwork have evolved through the years and is a delight for the eyes.
Jan 29, 2020 7:13 PM

May 2018
I'd be surprised if anybody here picks anything other than Golden Age. Unless if we're talking strictly the artistic appeal.

The Idolmaster, however, has put out some beautiful panels in the newer arcs.
Jan 29, 2020 11:48 PM
Jul 2018
Golden Age :D ..it's what made me fall in love with Berserk..

I really loved all the other arcs as well.. My only complaint with latest arcs is that Guts is almost faded to background sometimes. I do like the entire cast, and sometimes think that their chirpy presence perhaps balances out the darkness in the story... but still Guts is special, I wish the manga focused more and more only on him, even if he's doing nothing but looking up at the sky, I'd love it. I really miss those early chapters when he was alone, or atleast even if he had company, the focus never shifted from him and his feelings..

I love the later arcs, in some way more than Golden Age though, because of how surreal and insightful they are, delving into different dimensions that make up the universe of Berserk and also of the human mind. And the art is also rich in detail, post Golden Age.. Blackswordsman Arc feels special in some way too, I miss this companionship of Guts-Puck..
Feb 2, 2020 1:26 PM

Apr 2017
Have to say Golden Age. Partly because of the 1997 anime that got me into Berserk. I love Casca, and I love seeing the character development of her and Guts, and how their relationship changes.
Feb 2, 2020 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
Screw this franchise, Idolm@ster is better.
Feb 3, 2020 1:24 PM
Aug 2019
Stared at the poll for awhile and I just can’t choose. I love the entire story
Feb 5, 2020 10:11 PM
Mar 2019
Not caught up yet but the Golden Age stands out the most imo (Lost Children & Conviction were great too). Falcon of the Millennium Empire was a struggle to get through (I just found it generally boring and Guts' hack and slash style get really repetitive after a while)
Feb 5, 2020 10:15 PM

Jun 2012
I like the one where he went inside a whale.

Tell me when this series is over so I can read it again. I remember following it 10 years ago.
Feb 6, 2020 2:01 AM

Dec 2014
Mal is easily the most stupid site for discussing Berserk and this poll and the replies prove it. First of all Lost Children is not an arc, its officially a part of the Conviction Arc. Its also only 2 volumes long.

And second of all a small reflection on the Berserk community outside of the smaller fanbase that actually tries to understand the world and story post GA knows how much the world and characters expand, especially in the Millenium Falcon Arc.

The highest point of the manga in terms of writing and Art has to be Volume 34, the battle against Shiva. Fantasia is too short to judge but has been promising thus far minus the Sea God stuff.
Feb 6, 2020 7:04 PM
Mar 2019
Interstice said:
Mal is easily the most stupid site for discussing Berserk and this poll and the replies prove it. First of all Lost Children is not an arc, its officially a part of the Conviction Arc. Its also only 2 volumes long.

I don't see the harm in splitting it in the poll. I mean it still works enough as it's own short story.
And second of all a small reflection on the Berserk community outside of the smaller fanbase that actually tries to understand the world and story post GA knows how much the world and characters expand, especially in the Millenium Falcon Arc.

Understanding it doesn't mean you can't find it boring, it's just a matter of interest.
Feb 12, 2020 11:31 PM

Aug 2015
To be honest, 90% of the praise Berserk gets is thanks to the Golden Age. Everything after is good but not godlike. So yeah, the Golden Age is pretty much Berserk.

Nowadays I can't see that clearly if Berserk is still the "best manga ever" as I used to think some years ago. At least we are out of the boat and Casca is herself again.
Feb 13, 2020 2:01 AM

Oct 2010
Black Swordsman because it has action and slashing and killing and monsters, and Guts is mysterious. Golden Age was cool, all the politics and wars, I liked it.
What came next was so so, Schirke amd Farnese are kinda boring and I don't understand where Guts is heading.
Feb 13, 2020 2:31 AM
Nov 2014
kind of surprised, I thought falcon of the millennium arc was the more popular arc but I agree with Golden Age Arc I went back and read it because I was a dumbass and skipped it the first time I read Berserk because I thought it was the same as the 1997 anime. but Wyald stuff holyshit I'm glad I read it
Apr 25, 2020 4:55 PM
Jun 2016
Black Swordsman: 6/10
Golden Age: 10/10
Conviction: 8.5/10
MF: 9/10
Fantasia: 8/10
Apr 25, 2020 4:56 PM
May 2019
Golden Age arc so far is my favorite
Apr 25, 2020 7:42 PM

Jul 2017
I have always been a huge fan of Falcon of the Millennium Empire Arc and then The Golden Age arc is a really close second.
May 24, 2020 11:47 PM
Nov 2018
Conviction arc for me. I really liked the dark and gritty undertone of that arc and the villain also was pretty good. It also marked a major turning point for Guts's character, where he went from the Rage God to someone who has something to protect. Tied for a close second are Lost Children and Golden Age.
May 25, 2020 8:16 PM

Oct 2017
midascruzer said:
Everything before Schierke is good.

This, the series went downhill as soon she was introduced. It became very generic fantasy and lost all the appeal the first half had.

OT: The best arc by far is the Golden Age arc, its one of the best written arcs in any manga, maybe the best even. Guts and Griffith were at their peak back then and incredibly compelling and the climax of the story was shocking and impactful.

Conviction is still quite good but everything after that is just a boring dragged out mess. Miura himself has lost interest.
May 25, 2020 8:22 PM

Oct 2017
Interstice said:

The highest point of the manga in terms of writing and Art has to be Volume 34, the battle against Shiva. Fantasia is too short to judge but has been promising thus far minus the Sea God stuff.

Actually its not just MAL, most people everywhere agree the Golden Age arc is by far the best part of Berserk.

The world expands a lot sure but in mostly generic ways. Like the unique part of Berserk were the apostles and God Hand, instead of fleshing that part out we get cheesy magic, witches and generic monsters. It basically turns into a high fantasy story which is just boring compared to the first half.

Character wise its really not that good anymore either. Guts and Griffith have lost all their complexity and became one note (one a one note god, the other a one note badass who fucks up monsters). They barely get any meaningful character focus. Casca has returned now but was basically nothing for 20+ volumes.

The most focus goes to Schierke, Isidro and Farnese who are just shit in comparison..especially the two former belong in some JRPG not Berserk

May 25, 2020 8:22 PM

Oct 2017
Interstice said:

Actually its not just MAL, most people everywhere agree the Golden Age arc is by far the best part of Berserk.

The world expands a lot sure but in mostly generic ways. Like the unique part of Berserk were the apostles and God Hand, instead of fleshing that part out we get cheesy magic, witches and generic monsters. It basically turns into a high fantasy story which is just boring compared to the first half.

Character wise its really not that good anymore either. Guts and Griffith have lost all their complexity and became one note (one a one note god, the other a one note badass who fucks up monsters). They barely get any meaningful character focus. Casca has returned now but was basically nothing for 20+ volumes.

The most focus goes to Schierke, Isidro and Farnese who are just shit in comparison..especially the two former belong in some JRPG not Berserk

May 25, 2020 8:45 PM

Sep 2018
Golden age, super generic answer but it’s just too iconic, it’s cherished the way it is for a reason. Conviction however, is great too.
May 31, 2020 5:37 PM

May 2018
Millenium Falcon is probably my favourite by now, followed by Golden Age and Conviction Arc (that are equally great). Tho I have to say that one of the most impressive and emotional parts of the manga so far has been in the latest chapters, Fantasia Arc, in the Corridor of Dreams. It's really fantastic how Berserk can be so marvelous in basically everything it tries to do.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Aug 30, 2020 2:52 PM
May 2020
Can someone explain to me why everyone loves GA so much? I just don't get it. It's easily the worst for me. It's so boring. It's the ONLY boring arc in Berserk, everything else is great. The golden age is just a generic medieval story with barely any fantasy. Most of it was the band of the hawk fighting random castles' armies and mercenaries. Why would I wanna watch/read that when I could be seeing Guts fighting demons and interdimentional death Gods??? I love Berserk don't get me wrong, but I love it because of the magic, the demons and the dark fantasy setting. When I sit down to read some fantasy manga, I don't wanna watch a history channel documentary. The eclipse is the only great part in the arc for me and it's only at the very end/climax.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just curious and I want to understand the mindset behind "Golden Age best"
Aug 31, 2020 1:31 AM

Nov 2018
I haven’t finished yet but by a large margin it’s the golden age arc that got me hooked and made me fall in love with berserk.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 110 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Nov 6, 2011

23 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 104 Discussion

28 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 9:36 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 103 Discussion

30 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 102 Discussion

49 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 9:21 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 101 Discussion

41 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 9:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.