Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 27, 2020 3:36 PM

Feb 2019
When I look at the reviews of an anime or manga I usually see long ole reviews that I would copy and paste and send to my teacher if I needed to write a 10,000-word essay about something I'm passionate about.

SO ANYWAYS, do you make the long reviews that most people aren't gonna read, make short ones that only tell the bare minimum, or not even bother?

N͓̽o͓̽ ͓̽J͓̽u͓̽s͓̽t͓̽i͓̽c͓̽e͓̽.͓̽ ͓̽N͓̽o͓̽ ͓̽P͓̽e͓̽a͓̽c͓̽e͓̽.͓̽

Jan 27, 2020 3:54 PM

Jan 2017
_Minnie said:
When I look at the reviews of an anime or manga I usually see long ole reviews that I would copy and paste and send to my teacher if I needed to write a 10,000-word essay about something I'm passionate about.

SO ANYWAYS, do you make the long reviews that most people aren't gonna read, make short ones that only tell the bare minimum, or not even bother?
I don't review anime/manga but when it comes to steam reviews I basically just use it as an outlet to gush on how much I enjoyed something, even if it never gets read. And something has to be a masterpiece before I even think of writing a review for it, if it's average I'll ignore writing a review completely and if it's completely garbage I'll probably drop a meme sentence just to say how shit it was.
Jan 27, 2020 5:32 PM

Feb 2019
I don't review because it's too much thinking, and I can't even decide a rating for an anime...
Jan 27, 2020 5:35 PM

Mar 2014
Only if someone asks me about the ratings I give shows. I'll obviously give an explanation. But as for actually writing reviews? Nah, I'm good.
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Jan 27, 2020 5:42 PM

Oct 2019
I like to write long reviews and then include a TL;DR section.
I personally love reading long reviews but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Jan 27, 2020 5:45 PM

Feb 2015
Way thrifty with words as the Dutch.
Jan 27, 2020 5:48 PM

Apr 2012
I'm an inter species reviewer! ;) Someone had to make this reference eventually
Jan 27, 2020 6:01 PM

Jul 2014
You describe me, yeah. I write longer reviews. I use paragraphs, but still.

I try to remedy this by writing about less reviewed mangas, and by being upbeat in the first and the last paragraph. I try to begin with something catchy, at the same time I plan for a catchy ending (doing both is always a challenge), and in between I also try to be less watery - I focus on my main impression and briefly touch on the art.

I do it for myself more, tbh. It's not like I don't see the number of upvotes in the manga review section, which is in single digits.

I tend to read longer reviews after I have finished the work to compare opinions, when I am genuinely in doubt, or when a review is clearly well written and a fun text in itself.

By the way, it's been bugging me for years. There're two types of reviews in general. One you read before, a recommendation, it is very limited in form and content to avoid spoilers. And a detailed review to discuss things. Truly, these must be separated. MAL aims at the first, practical type, but people always use the functionality for the second, because the want to share their impressions.
Jan 27, 2020 11:20 PM

Apr 2014
I keep my reviews pretty concise. I feel like the average person is more likely to read something short instead of a deep-dive essay-style review--though I do enjoy those from time to time.
Jan 28, 2020 1:04 AM
Aug 2016
Reviews that have only the bare minimum will get removed by the review mods right away. I had that happen to me more than on just one occasion. I stopped doing reviews after that. I only have a couple left that weren't removed. I don't even read reviews that other people left, so ...
Jan 28, 2020 5:22 AM

Nov 2014
My review are always as long as they need to be. Not too long, not too short.
I mean, I just wrtie what I want to. And I write only when I have something to say on the topic. Results vary, but I believe my reviews are on shorter side overall.
Jan 28, 2020 5:55 AM
Jul 2018
I don’t write too much on my reviews. I write way more on my forum posts lol. A review doesn’t need to be long tbh. I just give my brief opinions on it without spoiling the show.
Jan 28, 2020 7:13 AM

Mar 2019
I like raving about shit and making reviews, it lets me express myself, of course there are limitations to what I can say (especially at school) but if I was to label myself as any type of reviewer it would be the type that spends to much time talking about shit
Jan 30, 2020 11:24 AM
Apr 2016
Pretty simple, I just rate the anime 1-10 thats all
Jan 30, 2020 4:47 PM
May 2016
I don't know how to review things! I don't know how to explain why I like something.............
Jan 31, 2020 6:14 AM

Jun 2019
I tend to write medium to long reviews. I try to write as much as I can, but sometimes I don't have a whole lot to say.
Jan 31, 2020 4:49 PM
Jul 2018
I usually just try summarizing in a paragraph or two to make it easier on the eyes for people just wanting to go on with their day
Jan 31, 2020 4:52 PM

Dec 2019
I write short and concise reviews, can't stand it when people take overly long to get their point across
Jan 31, 2020 5:44 PM

Jun 2012
I make reviews that explain my thoughts exactly as they should be. I don't think about whether they're long or not. The pleasure of writing reviews comes from being engaged in it and letting out your feelings and emotions. That's the real exciting part.
Jan 31, 2020 5:53 PM

Aug 2016
I don't really write reviews on MAL, but I will occasionally post my thoughts on Discord servers in a semi-long form but mostly disjointed style.

As far as that goes, and what I like to see in reviews in general, is for people to just highly what they liked or disliked. While I think that extensive, in depth analyses can be good, imo they sort of fall out of the purview of reviewing. As such, I generally don't try to have some sort of grand thesis statement that I think underlies what I like or dislike about a show (unless that is the case) because it ultimately unnecessary as far as I'm concerned.

People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Feb 1, 2020 2:00 AM

Mar 2012
I only write reviews when some series incredibly pisses me off and in such cases I make sure to include everything I can so my reviews tend to be a wall of text that no one would want to read.

I also write manga reviews to gain points I can use to buy more manga, booklive only gives points if the review is longer than 50 words so I simply try to meet that criteria and those reviews tend to be shorter, but it's usually because of my limited Japanese language skills.
Feb 1, 2020 2:34 AM

Jun 2016
I've never reached 10k on a review before, but maybe someday.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2020 4:02 AM

Jul 2016
I've written a few reviews but I've only ever published one. I straight up refuse to use that system the site recommends where you section up your review into, story, art, sound, character etc because I think it's bullshit and it's way too limiting. I like to write in a very stream of consciousness style way, whatever I think is relevant to how I experienced the show, what stood out to me as important.

Incidentally, there was one review on this website that was written entirely in jive and it was the best review of anything I've ever read but I can't remember who wrote it or what it was for, so if anyone knows what I'm talking about, hit me up.
Feb 5, 2020 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
That lazy one, I fear. Sometimes I get my ass up to write down detailed opinion. Mainly because I wanted to write my thoughts down and sort them. Often I don't know where to start or I get too short textes, but all in all I love long reviews and I love sorting my thoughts and writing them down.
Feb 5, 2020 3:49 PM

Sep 2018
Real reviewing is writing a very in depth awesome one in your mind but never sharing it to anyone ever

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

24 by -Jahra »»
13 minutes ago

» Is it a good idea to stay relatively anonymous online?

DesuMaiden - Apr 20

28 by vasipi4946 »»
14 minutes ago

» Would you consider becoming a vegatarain, maybe Vegan ? ( 1 2 )

SyrupPastryNice - Apr 10

68 by -Jahra »»
26 minutes ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

36 by -Jahra »»
39 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

22 by elgatosaika »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.