Forum Settings
Forums

People Who Review A Series Based After The First Episode?

New
Jan 27, 2020 3:30 PM

Aug 2015
Do you get annoyed when people review an entire series based off of the first episode? I mostly would see this happen on Crunchyroll (back when I still used it) but once in while I see it happen on here too.

I don't think it's valid to review an entire series based off of one episode alone. Not saying you should complete the whole series to review it, but I think if you saw a good half of it then it's valid. Unless it's just so bad.

Is there anyone viewing this that will do that? Why? I know it's not much of a big discussion, but it is something I see from time to time.
Jan 27, 2020 3:33 PM

Jul 2012
You can review based on first impressions. Like you won't be able to do things like analyze the plot or execution but you can review how the series presented itself in the first episode (including things like animation, sound design/ost, concept, an overview of the main character, world building, etc.).
It's like a major reason why reviews on this site can be categorized as preliminary reviews.

Also on the contrary if you want to do a review of a full series generally you have to watch the whole series.
GamerDLMJan 27, 2020 3:39 PM
Jan 27, 2020 3:44 PM

Jun 2016
Reviewing an entire series based on the first episode is stupid but it's more likely that these people are giving their first impressions and not actually reviewing the entire show. I could be wrong, I don't really pay attention to reviews
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 27, 2020 3:49 PM

Dec 2018
Yeah, I don't really get this. I like to do discussions maybe after the first episode, but to leave a whole review seems silly to me. But I don't care that much.
Jan 27, 2020 3:49 PM
Jul 2018
I don't see a problem with it as long as their criticism pertains to what they gathered so far, and they aren't complaining about a plot twist they have yet to get to. However, the information they know about the plot and characters thus far can be discussed and they can review a series based on that. To be honest, most shows I've watched have the first episode as a pretty good representation of what the show would be like and the quality doesn't change all that often. Which makes sense, as episodes aren't going to be produced willy nilly. They will have a certain thing in mind when making it. You'll get improvements, granted, but not enough to justify a different score.
Jan 27, 2020 3:51 PM

Jan 2013
That depends if we're talking about a currently airing anime or a finished one. In the first case it's okay, those are just early empressions - the reviewers rarely judge the whole anime, just the episodes that came out so far. But in case of the finished series it's better to rely on reviews from people who've seen more than just the first 1-3 episodes.
Jan 27, 2020 3:51 PM

Apr 2018
...are very dumb, and their 1-week-lifespan reviews are worthless. That's all i gotta say about 'em.
Jan 27, 2020 4:09 PM

May 2016
i dont like it either, why would you review/rate an anime based of the first episode, the only thing you can rate is the OP/ED and the art style(and some other little stuff), if you can review the mc after one episode, something is wrong XD

but i can understand it in some situations tho, like a manga you know and like is getting an anime adaptation and know the plot, the relationships between the mc's etc.
you are just hyped about it and give it a 10

or the last season of this anime was good, so this season WILL also be good!
Jan 27, 2020 4:11 PM

Jul 2016
That person is called dumb. F them, even how veteran that person is. Does not excuse him to review the anime, bcuz at the end of the day he/she is a dumb weeb in the society

Jan 27, 2020 4:36 PM

Oct 2017
There's a reason MAL doesn't allow reviews to go up for most shows until at least 4 episodes have aired.
Jan 27, 2020 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
Pandaheroo said:
i dont like it either, why would you review/rate an anime based of the first episode, the only thing you can rate is the OP/ED and the art style(and some other little stuff), if you can review the mc after one episode, something is wrong XD

I'll say the MC thing depends on what you value. The personality of a character is usually shown in the first episode, and some shows even establish the character backstory at that time spam. However, stuff like development would need more time to get an opinion of. Usually valuing presentation and how a character holds up on a moment by moment basis, means that I can watch the first episode, and know how much I would like a character in general. There are few exceptions to this, but most characters I know don't develop that drastically.
Jan 27, 2020 7:33 PM

Jun 2012
I don't really care that much since it's probably more about first impressions.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Some people remain skeptical toward watching airing shows and would love to hear some opinion first about how the start goes. So impression reviews are mostly for those skeptical people.

Jan 27, 2020 7:41 PM

Jan 2016
Navigate-Me said:
Do you get annoyed when people review an entire series based off of the first episode? I mostly would see this happen on Crunchyroll (back when I still used it) but once in while I see it happen on here too.

I don't think it's valid to review an entire series based off of one episode alone. Not saying you should complete the whole series to review it, but I think if you saw a good half of it then it's valid. Unless it's just so bad.

Is there anyone viewing this that will do that? Why? I know it's not much of a big discussion, but it is something I see from time to time.
I do that. There is nothing wrong with that since I can tell a lot from the first episode ( I obviously mean review in my head and not on this website).
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Jan 27, 2020 7:48 PM
Jan 2018
Navigate-Me said:

It does happen here but they are removed nearly instantly (exaggeration). The reviews only stay on if you've watched nearly 1/4th of a series.

I agree. If I consider a show a 6/10 on its first episode, I'll keep watching. If I consider it anything below a 6 I'll not.
The first reviews of Plunderer are based on this mentality. It was so bad that people just stopped watching, and some of those same people just wanted to warn people of how bad it was (even though their reviews got removed eventually).

I explained a bit already, but maybe it could be seen as a "hey watch the first episode at least" thing, or just first impressions that the reviewers know shouldn't get much attention because the impression of the show might change later on.

I personally only did this twice when I just got into the site, because I didn't know they would be removed due to the amount of episodes seen.
Jan 27, 2020 7:51 PM

Dec 2012
I don't read reviews to begin with since they're just the random opinion of someone who is not me, but a review from someone who hasn't watched the whole thing is even less credible.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 27, 2020 7:59 PM

May 2016
Peaceful_Critic said:

I'll say the MC thing depends on what you value. The personality of a character is usually shown in the first episode, and some shows even establish the character backstory at that time spam.

i agree with you, except with how the personality of the mc is shown in the first episode, its more like the surface of it, to get a better grasp of it you will have to watch more episodes, till you can rate it

imagine, reading the indroduction of a book and rate it lol
Jan 27, 2020 8:01 PM

Jan 2010
You can take it as first impression only review I think. Even if the reviewer said it's a review of the whole series, it's just stupid to believe it.

So, when I see such review, I take it as first impression review and not a whole series.
Jan 27, 2020 8:04 PM
Jan 2019
Exactly, I hate when people review them before they finish the god damn thing!!!
Jan 28, 2020 11:11 AM

Feb 2019
Of course it’s not a valid review since you’re essentially judging it by your first impressions which are subject to change after experiencing more of the show. They are called “preliminary reviews” for a reason. I do not understand why anyone would be annoyed by them.
To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly.
Jan 28, 2020 11:16 AM

Jul 2016
Yes, shows require build up for it to grow on you.So while it's good for a first impression I think it would be simply ignorant to assert your judgement on a whole anime just based on the first episode,as there is no bigger picture to be seen.
SummerynJan 28, 2020 11:20 AM
Jan 28, 2020 11:16 AM

Aug 2015
Depending on what they're reviewing, I can actually understand some of it.

If they're reviewing the plot or characters, then i can't see that as a valid review.
But if they're reviewing the animation, bgm/OST, or anything else that MIGHT be able to be judged on the first episode, I see no problem.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jan 28, 2020 11:22 AM

Feb 2016
I think the first episode can give you a good indication of what to expect in an anime. But that's it. There are too many factors that can make or break an anime that you simply cannot know after watching just one episode.

It would turn into an episodic review by default, for how can you review something you haven't seen?
Jan 28, 2020 11:22 AM

Aug 2015
I'll drop an anime after the first episode, if I can hold on then after a few. But reviewing something is pointless unless you've actually watched it. Think of all the shows out there that have had a rather shitty pilot episode but ended up being really good.
Metal, games, and good friends make life worth living
Discord: kingkrazy#0336
Jan 28, 2020 11:27 AM

Nov 2019
I cannot imagine what reviews Steins Gate got early on. A great example why people shouldn't review early on.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 28, 2020 11:28 AM

Aug 2016
Honestly, what are the chances of the anime changing it's core elements in the long run.
If the first episode is absolute shite then it's not unreasonable to write a review about the anime based on your impressions.
It's the same with excellent first episodes.

I know that there are shows with strong firsts and bad endings but it's not unheard of to change your reviews after watching the whole show.

I can't really understand why one would disregard early reviews.
You can see how many episodes the reviewer has seen and reading his work is for your own good. You can get a good grasp of the shows quality after 1-2 episodes.
Jan 28, 2020 11:30 AM

Aug 2016
biswa290701 said:
I cannot imagine what reviews Steins Gate got early on. A great example why people shouldn't review early on.

The show had a strong first episode.
Jan 28, 2020 11:34 AM

Nov 2019
midascruzer said:
biswa290701 said:

The show had a strong first episode.

Yeah but after that it was kind of a slice of life from then onwards.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 28, 2020 11:37 AM

Oct 2010
These people have high iq for they can deduce from that 1 episode how the anime will be and even the ending. But usually they are attention seekers: hey look at me, I made a review, I'm the 1st one, give me those helpfuls!
Jan 28, 2020 11:47 AM

Dec 2017
Meh initial impressions are fine but I definitely would not call it a “review”. Although honestly the episode discussion threads are sufficient enough if you really wanted to praise/rant about the show after just 1 episode. You get a general sense of the premise, characters, OST, and other details but imo it’s not detailed enough for a full-fledged review.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Jan 28, 2020 11:48 AM
Jul 2018
People who do that can be described in one word. Retards. 7_7)/
Jan 28, 2020 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
Pandaheroo said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

I'll say the MC thing depends on what you value. The personality of a character is usually shown in the first episode, and some shows even establish the character backstory at that time spam.

i agree with you, except with how the personality of the mc is shown in the first episode, its more like the surface of it, to get a better grasp of it you will have to watch more episodes, till you can rate it

imagine, reading the indroduction of a book and rate it lol
Before, I say anything, I want to ask: what do you mean by the surface of it? Just to get the definitions out of the way, so we aren't talking over each other. Do you mean the more subtle traits? Do you mean details/explanations to said surface traits?
removed-userJan 28, 2020 2:09 PM
Jan 28, 2020 2:11 PM

Aug 2018
I don't mind them cause their reviews are gonna be overshadowed by new reviews that conclude the whole series, which are gonna be the ones people are gonna see in the future anyway

Also maybe its just me but I don't take a lot of mal reviews seriously anyway
yotiJan 28, 2020 2:15 PM
Jan 28, 2020 3:26 PM

Mar 2019
You need to watch at least half of the show to give it a good review if not the entire series. I often find that my rating for an anime changes dramatically depending on what kind of ending it has. Sometimes an ending can be so shitty it borderline ruins the show. I also find that animes tend to have one of three structures.

Structure 1: Is that the beginning of the anime is slow and a bit boring, and it gets better and better until you get to the end which is the best part. An example of a structure 1 anime is Angel Beats. If I had only watched the first episode or two, I would've rated it a 6, but I ended up giving it a 9 because the ending was so good. So if you drop a show after 1 episode, you completely miss out on all structure 1 animes.

Structure 2: The early part of the anime is good, and usually the last part of the season is pretty good too. But the middle has a dramatic decrease in quality, probably because the writer didn't know what to do in the middle of the season. He had an idea for how to begin the show, and a strong finish, but didn't seem to have any ideas for the middle of it so it slumps significantly compared to the early or later episodes.

Structure 3: Easily the best structure where all parts of the series keep you engrossed from start to finish.

People who easily drop animes I've found probably will only watch structure 3 animes and end up missing out on animes that are not quite as good but can still be really good from structure 1 and structure 2.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2020 3:38 PM
May 2019
Well depending on how many anime you have seen and experience you can judge anime by 1st episode.
Things like animation, directing, artstyle rarely change in subsequent episodes.
If characters are nothing but tropes that is unlikely to change.
If anime is a comedy and you don't find it funny, you are unlikely to find it funny in next episodes.
First couple of episode should be some of the best since they are suppose to get you hooked.
I don't believe in anime gets good after X episodes meme.
It should be good from beginning.
When you eat a meal and first bite doesn't taste good you don't continue to eat it in hopes of that X bite is going to be amazing.
Jan 28, 2020 3:46 PM

Mar 2019
Xstasy said:
Well depending on how many anime you have seen and experience you can judge anime by 1st episode.
Things like animation, directing, artstyle rarely change in subsequent episodes.
If anime is a comedy and you don't find it funny, you are unlikely to find it funny in next episodes.
First couple of episode should be some of the best since they are suppose to get you hooked.
When you eat a meal and first bite doesn't taste good you don't continue to eat it in hopes of that X bite is going to be amazing.

Often times it doesn't work that way though. I mean, for a comedy it does make sense, for a romance anime it also makes sense because romance animes I've noticed are the most susceptible to mid season slump. But for most others, I often find that they do take some time to get off the ground.

Angel Beats, like I said, is a pretty good example. We both rated it a 9 so I don't know if you felt the same but I found the first 4 episodes to be pretty boring. I actually took a long break between the first 4 episodes and the last 8. But as soon as I finished the 5th episode, I got much more hooked and then the last four episodes were amazing.

I was also watching School Days with a friend of mine who thought the first 3 episodes were kind of boring but he said it was getting much better starting around episode 4 or 5.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2020 3:59 PM
Jan 2012
Depends on the review itself. If they're truly just giving a first impression and reviewing what they've seen so far then sure, I don't need that kind of review but I don't have an issue with it. If they're acting like the entire show will go that way then no, that's stupid. First impressions should be treated like first impressions and nothing more.
Jan 28, 2020 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
Navigate-Me said:
Not saying you should complete the whole series to review it.

Why not? If I'm actually going to read your review, I expect it to cover all aspects. And that includes the climax.
Jan 28, 2020 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
@Xstasy
"I don't believe in anime gets good after X episodes meme."

Same here, shows like SSY or Sailor Moon, that I was told would get good never did.
Jan 28, 2020 4:16 PM
May 2019
Ryuk9428 said:
Xstasy said:

Often times it doesn't work that way though. I mean, for a comedy it does make sense, for a romance anime it also makes sense because romance animes I've noticed are the most susceptible to mid season slump. But for most others, I often find that they do take some time to get off the ground.

Angel Beats, like I said, is a pretty good example. We both rated it a 9 so I don't know if you felt the same but I found the first 4 episodes to be pretty boring. I actually took a long break between the first 4 episodes and the last 8. But as soon as I finished the 5th episode, I got much more hooked and then the last four episodes were amazing.

I was also watching School Days with a friend of mine who thought the first 3 episodes were kind of boring but he said it was getting much better starting around episode 4 or 5.

I watched Angel Beats like 2 years ago, I think I binge watched it in one go.
I haven't seen School Days but I have seen reviews of it, from what I've seen the selling point is a shock factor of the last episode, I don't know if I would consider that anime to be good. I wanted to watch it cause I like yanderes but I never got around.

Anyway I was speaking more generally obviously there is going to be some exceptions.
All of anime in my favorites are anime that I liked from the beginning.
Jan 28, 2020 4:34 PM

Mar 2019
Xstasy said:
Ryuk9428 said:

I watched Angel Beats like 2 years ago, I think I binge watched it in one go.
I haven't seen School Days but I have seen reviews of it, from what I've seen the selling point is a shock factor of the last episode, I don't know if I would consider that anime to be good. I wanted to watch it cause I like yanderes but I never got around.

Anyway I was speaking more generally obviously there is going to be some exceptions.
All of anime in my favorites are anime that I liked from the beginning.

School Days isn't really about the shock factor at the end. I think that part is overplayed.

I saw it more as a cautionary tale. Cause a lot of 15 year old guys would do what Makoto did if they could. Almost all 15 year old guys though are limited by opportunity so this anime shows what would happen if a 15 year old guy was not limited by opportunity, what would happen.

I sort of like Yanderes too, but Kotonoha is nowhere near as good of a yandere as Yuno Gasai is.

You might like Tasogare Otome x Amnesia. I think the main female character could probably qualify as a yandere because of her obsessiveness although she is a very very mild yandere.
Jan 28, 2020 4:41 PM

Aug 2015
Theo1899 said:
Reviewing an entire series based on the first episode is stupid but it's more likely that these people are giving their first impressions and not actually reviewing the entire show. I could be wrong, I don't really pay attention to reviews

That makes sense. I didn't even think of it that way! I'm glad I opened this discussion because I get to understand how other people see things. Thank you!
Jan 28, 2020 5:44 PM

Feb 2017
From the first episode I realized that Ousama game would be a trash anime, and it turned out to be that way.
I don't regret judging that anime based on its first episode.
Same with Pet...
The truly intelligent person is one who can pretend to be a fool in front of a fool who pretends to be intelligent.
Jan 28, 2020 6:31 PM

May 2016
Peaceful_Critic said:
Do you mean details/explanations to said surface traits?

i appreciate the question to get the misunderstanding out of the way

sorry if i created a misunderstanding, what i meant was, in the first episode you see mostly traits of the mc how he normally behaves(this is what i meant as the surface),maybe one or two hints about the backstory/event which shaped the mentality of the(grudge against a group, cunning thinking, trusting issues, being friendly 24/7), and after some episodes you see how the mc handles his feelings, failure, relationship to other chars, this goes on

surely it depends on the genre of the anime
Jan 28, 2020 7:01 PM
Jul 2018
Pandaheroo said:
Peaceful_Critic said:
Do you mean details/explanations to said surface traits?

i appreciate the question to get the misunderstanding out of the way

sorry if i created a misunderstanding, what i meant was, in the first episode you see mostly traits of the mc how he normally behaves(this is what i meant as the surface),maybe one or two hints about the backstory/event which shaped the mentality of the(grudge against a group, cunning thinking, trusting issues, being friendly 24/7), and after some episodes you see how the mc handles his feelings, failure, relationship to other chars, this goes on

surely it depends on the genre of the anime
Don't worry about it, we never had a misunderstanding. I just asked for clarification's sake.

I agree, that those kinds of stuff tend not to be able to be seen until later on, but I'm not sure if I would qualify any of them under personality. What you described as the surface would actually be what I consider to be the personality which is how a character behaves. The why they are the way they are and questions on what they would do if they felt x or y or if v happened to them go under something else. These work as more extras to the characters than anything else. They build off of the personality and are questions surrounding it. None of those things are traits though.
Jan 28, 2020 7:32 PM

May 2016
Peaceful_Critic said:
I agree, that those kinds of stuff tend not to be able to be seen until later on, but I'm not sure if I would qualify any of them under personality. What you described as the surface would actually be what I consider to be the personality which is how a character behaves. The why they are the way they are and questions on what they would do if they felt x or y or if v happened to them go under something else. These work as more extras to the characters than anything else. They build off of the personality and are questions surrounding it. None of those things are traits though.

those "extras" are the personality(at least for me), those x,y or v form/change the personality of the mc

well we got different opinions on this topic, nice to see other opinions on "what is personality"

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

89 by RobertBobert »»
5 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

65 by Ratris_Decision »»
9 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
13 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.