Forum Settings
Forums

The Mecha/ Robot Genre is so under appreciated by Anime fans

New
Jan 25, 2020 5:43 PM

Apr 2010
A lot of Anime Fans seems to dismiss the mecha genre when most have only seen Evangelion or Gundam Wing. They just seem to write everything else off as uninteresting or bad without actually giving anything a real chance. I've even seen some people on here put it into the same category as Shounen when it comes to "bottom of the barrel" genres. Does anyone else feel it's a misunderstood and under appreciated genre like I do?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 25, 2020 5:58 PM

Dec 2012
Well, not by me at least. I find the genre to be fairly fun and enjoyable and I've seen a couple hundred mecha titles at this point.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 25, 2020 6:03 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Have you seen Digibro or something? He literally just put out a video talking about how underappreciated the mecha genre is earlier this week...

Anyway, I guess you're right... I haven't even seen any mecha shows myself!
Guess that's gonna change, I really need to watch stuff like Genmu Senki Leda ASAP.
Jan 25, 2020 6:08 PM

May 2018
Zeroflamez said:
A lot of Anime Fans seems to dismiss the mecha genre when most have only seen Evangelion or Gundam Wing.

...or Code Geass.

Zeroflamez said:
They just seem to write everything else off as uninteresting or bad without actually giving anything a real chance.

There are people who are genuinely displeased by the sci-fi aspects.

But those "Using mechs in battle lowers the stakes. The pilots are in the safest place. A real fight is hand to hand where the stakes are real!" guys are kind of annoyance. Like pilots die in war mecha all the time and those characters that got horribly beaten and mutilated in battle shounen are fine in the next episode or two.

Zeroflamez said:
I've even seen some people on here put it into the same category as Shounen

I don't get this - most of the mecha is shounen.
Jan 25, 2020 6:11 PM

Jul 2013
For the most part it's really one thing: mech anime are generally reliant on CG, and you know how the community feels about CG
Jan 25, 2020 6:14 PM

May 2018
bledsoe60 said:
and you know how the community feels about CG

Yeah, the community is totally fine with 3D CGI when it pictures furry propaganda.

jk
Jan 25, 2020 6:15 PM
Oct 2012
Mecha is so gimmicky its inclusion makes no sense most of the time, like Code Geass has giant robot fights for absolutely no reason other than plot device.
Give everyone laser guns and nothing changes.
Jan 25, 2020 6:17 PM

May 2018
Takuto_Shindou said:
Mecha is so gimmicky its inclusion makes no sense most of the time, like Code Geass has giant robot fights for absolutely no reason other than plot device.

Like this is totally Code Geass's fault, give some other examples!

But like genuine mecha not Granbelm.
Jan 25, 2020 6:31 PM
Oct 2012
alshu said:
Takuto_Shindou said:

Like this is totally Code Geass's fault, give some other examples!

But like genuine mecha not Granbelm.
What about Evangelion? The writers want to make us believe the mechas are important but the entire series is a pretext to talk about teen angst and depression, not robot fights.
Averted in Gurren Lagann, when the show is in fact about giant robots throwing galaxies at each other.
Jan 25, 2020 6:34 PM

Sep 2018
Preach it bro, mecha has so much awesome stuff to offer and it’s sad not many people tend to see it. Oh well
Jan 25, 2020 6:39 PM

Oct 2013
I definitely feel the same way. Too many people completely dismiss the who genre as boring, many saying they fights aren't interesting simply because you don't see the characters fight directly. How that makes fucking giant robot fights boring is beyond me though.
Jan 25, 2020 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
I am someone who doesn't like mecha (aside from "magitech" examples that aren't the main focus) but I agree that the current state of the genre is sad and I feel some solidarity with mecha fans. "Anime" was once synonymous with "giant robots"... What the hell happened?
Jan 25, 2020 7:05 PM

Jun 2012
I hate the protective nature of the robots. If two people are fighting I want to see some blood. And deaths are usually just big explosions so we're shielded from actually seeing characters die.
Shoot first, think never.
Jan 25, 2020 7:25 PM

Aug 2013
Rather than underappreciated I feel like it's just not as popular in the West, just like sports and magical girl anime. There are a few that are very well-known and popular, and then the rest has a more niche audience. However, even those less popular anime usually have a pretty devoted fanbase.

I personally find it hard to get into mecha. There's just so many I have no idea which one to watch apart from the most popular ones. It's probably the case with most anime fans.
Jan 25, 2020 7:27 PM

Jul 2007
I want more hot blooded super robot shows like Gunbuster, Diebuster, and Gurren Lagann.

The mecha shows recently have just been so lame.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 25, 2020 7:30 PM

May 2015
I only recently started to take genuine interest in the genre and I quite enjoy it so far. It's almost like discovering a whole new world, a new level of escapism.

Surely, there are good and bad examples like with any genre. It's totally unfair to dismiss the whole thing but I also understand how it might not seem very appealing to most of the people. I avoided it before too, probably just takes the right mental state or mood to appreciate what the genre has to offer.
Jan 25, 2020 7:32 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
EndlessMaria said:
I want more hot blooded super robot shows like Gunbuster, Diebuster, and Gurren Lagann.

I would say no to those type of mecha anime, I watched all three and I thought they were lame. Not the kind of mecha I like, no offense.
Jan 25, 2020 7:32 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Yeah, its really irritating how these people diss an entire genre without giving it a chance. Bleh.
Jan 25, 2020 7:33 PM

Aug 2009
Back in my day it was over-appreciated; just one era of Gundam after another and multiple clones of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Jan 25, 2020 7:37 PM

Oct 2019
I get what you're saying but I wouldn't call it underappreciated. It's just that it doesn't appeal to people as much as it did in the past.
Honestly, I really hate the whole underappreciated/overappreciated/underrated/overrated argument.

I for one don't like watching people control giant robots to fight each other, I would much prefer them to just smash it out with their fists or maybe some weapons
Jan 25, 2020 7:44 PM

Jul 2007
MeisterDM said:
EndlessMaria said:

I would say no to those type of mecha anime, I watched all three and I thought they were lame. Not the kind of mecha I like, no offense.

Yikes. Those are some of the best anime I've seen lmao.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 25, 2020 8:00 PM

Nov 2013
Mecha is almost dead, well at least for me. Most of them use CG nowadays, even Sunrise is starting to use it more.
Jan 25, 2020 8:09 PM

Apr 2010
Haunt-bot said:
I hate the protective nature of the robots. If two people are fighting I want to see some blood. And deaths are usually just big explosions so we're shielded from actually seeing characters die.

I can tell you haven't seen many Mecha Anime if any at all. Most of them show the person actually dying in the cock pit and some have them actually bleeding as well. You're kind of what I mean by Anime fans dismissing a genre they haven't even watched 5 shows from.

bledsoe60 said:
For the most part it's really one thing: mech anime are generally reliant on CG, and you know how the community feels about CG

Not all Mech Anime use CG though. Even the ones that do, people just can't write it off cause some CG used in Mech Anime are very well done.

alshu said:
Zeroflamez said:
A lot of Anime Fans seems to dismiss the mecha genre when most have only seen Evangelion or Gundam Wing.

...or Code Geass.

Zeroflamez said:
They just seem to write everything else off as uninteresting or bad without actually giving anything a real chance.

There are people who are genuinely displeased by the sci-fi aspects.

But those "Using mechs in battle lowers the stakes. The pilots are in the safest place. A real fight is hand to hand where the stakes are real!" guys are kind of annoyance. Like pilots die in war mecha all the time and those characters that got horribly beaten and mutilated in battle shounen are fine in the next episode or two.

Zeroflamez said:
I've even seen some people on here put it into the same category as Shounen

I don't get this - most of the mecha is shounen.

What I meant was battle shounen. My bad

Fario-P said:
Have you seen Digibro or something? He literally just put out a video talking about how underappreciated the mecha genre is earlier this week...

Guess that's gonna change, I really need to watch stuff like Genmu Senki Leda ASAP.

Nope I don't particularly like him or watch his videos. Just a coincidence.

Takuto_Shindou said:

You could say that just about anything. So your point doesn't hold up at all

FacelessVixen said:
Back in my day it was over-appreciated; just one era of Gundam after another and multiple clones of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Yeah I really miss that era. I don't expect Mecha to be as popular as it once was but I'd damn like to see it get more attention than it has in the past decade
Jan 25, 2020 8:54 PM

Nov 2018
It feels like less and less anime with mecha as the main theme are coming out each year, and good ones as well. The only mecha show that's come out within the last couple of years that I've seen that's actually good was Gridman, but the rest are mainly crappy high school futuristic magical girl ecchi body suit mecha anime. (I've yet to see MSG Red Comet or Promare)

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Jan 25, 2020 8:58 PM

May 2013
I wish we had more good mecha to look forward to.

The only mecha I can think of I am excited about is Hathaway's flash.

Atleast there are alot of great old mecha.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jan 25, 2020 9:04 PM

Mar 2014
It's just the the times have changed and technology is no longer headed onto robotics. Mecha was huge in the past it was more popular than Battle Shounen back in the 80's, there were tons of clones of Mazinger Z and Gundam back then, kids would be asking robots to Santa for Christmas. Paralel to this you had popular western shows like Transformers, the Jettson and even sitcoms like the Small Wonder, you had the original Star Wars trilogy, it was a reflect of the era.

But on current times it's all about superheroes, cinema is all about marvelesque movies, the rise of MHA and One Punch Man in Japan. After all Anime is an industry and it will respond to the demands of the market, if there is not much Mecha fans, these days then it's really hard for an original non sequel Mecha anime to succeed. Also i think the rise of MMA leaded to a change in how action is perceived and reflected on the different audiovisual mediums (like having Eren Titan arm-barring the armored titan out of nowhere) Before superheroes we had zombies (that influenced the appeal of AOT, Tokyo Ghoul and such) but who knows what trends awaits for us in the future once people get tired of superheroes, trends are cyclical though so Mecha might eventually do a huge comeback.
SoulblightJan 25, 2020 9:27 PM
Jan 25, 2020 9:11 PM

Jan 2009
im fine if mecha evolves from giant robots to nanomachines like Iron-man power suits

the recent Ultraman anime is like that although its only popular in Japan
Jan 25, 2020 9:15 PM

Apr 2010
marinara-sauce said:
I get what you're saying but I wouldn't call it underappreciated. It's just that it doesn't appeal to people as much as it did in the past.
Honestly, I really hate the whole underappreciated/overappreciated/underrated/overrated argument.

I for one don't like watching people control giant robots to fight each other, I would much prefer them to just smash it out with their fists or maybe some weapons

I don't have a problem with people who don't watch Mecha Anime out of being completely uninterested in the genre. What I don't agree with is people that use inaccurate arguments about the genre as their reasoning to why they don't try watching it.

deg said:
im fine if mecha evolves from giant robots to nanomachines like Iron-man power suits

If it evolves into that it's no longer mecha.

jejehartadi said:
Mecha is almost dead, well at least for me. Most of them use CG nowadays, even Sunrise is starting to use it more.

Why is everyone so allergic to CG? A lot of modern Mecha CG is looking really good now days. Especially Sunrise's

ZeroflamezJan 25, 2020 9:20 PM
Jan 25, 2020 9:21 PM

Mar 2014
deg said:

That sounds like Super Sentai to me.
Jan 25, 2020 9:32 PM

Nov 2013
Zeroflamez said:
Why is everyone so allergic to CG? A lot of modern Mecha CG is looking really good now days. Especially Sunrise's
Just my personal preference. CG just looks different, the movement especially.
Jan 25, 2020 9:46 PM

Nov 2019
EndlessMaria said:

If Gunbuster got a third installment I could die content on the spot.

As far as CG, I also don't get the CG hate. Frankly it has improved mecha in some ways where old animation was either expensive as hell or ugly as sin. And even when it was good it was mainly in short single cour or OVA shows. Recent memory says that some of the best mechanical animation I've seen in mecha is IBO which is CG. A few others are also good but tend towards futuristic "alien" smooth mechs which don't need a whole lot of animating or are Super Robot that tends to not be super detailed anyways.

Incidentially I think Polygon did real good with Sidonia, and I love the full-CG look a lot.

QE: forgot to go on topic, most people don't dislike mecha they dislike complex or baffling plot which mecha is infamous for and hence casuals and non-mecha fans avoid the genre proper. Same reason a lot of people dislike Lain and Ergo Proxy.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Jan 25, 2020 9:49 PM

Jul 2007
ItsaNico said:
EndlessMaria said:

It's supposedly in the works:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/38273/Top_wo_Nerae_3
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 25, 2020 9:52 PM

Apr 2010
ItsaNico said:
EndlessMaria said:

As far as CG, I also don't get the CG hate. Frankly it has improved mecha in some ways where old animation was either expensive as hell or ugly as sin. And even when it was good it was mainly in short single cour or OVA shows. Recent memory says that some of the best mechanical animation I've seen in mecha is IBO which is CG. A few others are also good but tend towards futuristic "alien" smooth mechs which don't need a whole lot of animating or are Super Robot that tends to not be super detailed anyways.

Incidentially I think Polygon did real good with Sidonia, and I love the full-CG look a lot.

QE: forgot to go on topic, most people don't dislike mecha they dislike complex or baffling plot which mecha is infamous for and hence casuals and non-mecha fans avoid the genre proper. Same reason a lot of people dislike Lain and Ergo Proxy.

IBO doesn't use CG models though for the Mobile Suits.
Jan 25, 2020 9:54 PM

Jan 2009
Soulblight said:
deg said:

That sounds like Super Sentai to me.

mecha like gundam is usually a sentai/group too anyway

but its more like tokekatsu if i spelled that right like the live action Garo and Masked Rider
Jan 25, 2020 10:00 PM

Mar 2014
deg said:

but its more like tokekatsu if i spelled that right like the live action Garo and Masked Rider

Let's push for a Jiban anime remake, the ultimate mecha evolution!
I used to watch this shit everday as a kid, what an epic Opening.
SoulblightJan 25, 2020 10:03 PM
Jan 25, 2020 10:02 PM

Nov 2019
Zeroflamez said:

Pretty sure Sunrise uses frame automation tools as does most of the industry, which I'd count as a form of CG. Key frames may be drawn by hand (via computer), but a lot of the animation and backgrounds are very much at minimum computer-aided as opposed to simply drawing with a computer.

I do understand that some people think of things like Sidonia when they think CG, I look at it as CG being generally anything that isn't either analog animating and it's direct digital facsimile with very minor computer aid. I mean CG is just "computer graphics" or "computer generated" of which both can apply to computer-aided animation.
Jan 25, 2020 10:17 PM

Oct 2019
Zeroflamez said:
marinara-sauce said:

I don't have a problem with people who don't watch Mecha Anime out of being completely uninterested in the genre. What I don't agree with is people that use inaccurate arguments about the genre as their reasoning to why they don't try watching it.

Ohhh so you're what you don't like is when people take one thing they didn't like from an anime and brand every show in the genre with it. Yeah I agree that kind of thing always sucks, not only for mecha, lots of other genres have that problem too
Jan 25, 2020 10:19 PM

Apr 2010
ItsaNico said:
Zeroflamez said:

Pretty sure Sunrise uses frame automation tools as does most of the industry, which I'd count as a form of CG. Key frames may be drawn by hand (via computer), but a lot of the animation and backgrounds are very much at minimum computer-aided as opposed to simply drawing with a computer.

I do understand that some people think of things like Sidonia when they think CG, I look at it as CG being generally anything that isn't either analog animating and it's direct digital facsimile with very minor computer aid. I mean CG is just "computer graphics" or "computer generated" of which both can apply to computer-aided animation.

That's a great point and I think I think when most people think CG they think 3D CG models.So when people are talking about CG it's easy to misinterpret what they are actually referring to.

marinara-sauce said:
Zeroflamez said:

Ohhh so you're what you don't like is when people take one thing they didn't like from an anime and brand every show in the genre with it. Yeah I agree that kind of thing always sucks, not only for mecha, lots of other genres have that problem too

Yes, exactly. I'm all for someone to have an opinion on something, but try watching at least a few shows from the genre before you make judgement.
ZeroflamezJan 25, 2020 10:23 PM
Jan 25, 2020 10:23 PM

Nov 2019
Zeroflamez said:
ItsaNico said:

That's a great point and I think I think when most people think CG they think 3D CG models.So when people are talking about CG it's easy to misinterpret what they are actually referring to.

Yeah, but the thing is neither is completely wrong or right to be fair. Though a lot of the conception of what CG is in the mecha subgenre especially is based on old timers still stuck in 2003. Things like Candidate for Goddess way back when certainly did not help the reputation of computer-based animation and workflows at all lmao.
Jan 25, 2020 10:52 PM

Apr 2010
ItsaNico said:
Zeroflamez said:

Yeah, but the thing is neither is completely wrong or right to be fair. Though a lot of the conception of what CG is in the mecha subgenre especially is based on old timers still stuck in 2003. Things like Candidate for Goddess way back when certainly did not help the reputation of computer-based animation and workflows at all lmao.

I agree. The early and mid 2000's certainly didn't help the reception towards CG animated shows. A lot of trial and error back then.
Jan 25, 2020 11:16 PM

Nov 2015
Mecha isn't popular with western audience because it doesn't fit the self insert jesus fantasy. The western religious dogma needs a divine saviour to believe in i.e the popularity of superhero stories in the west. Eastern philosophies are about how the only one who can save you is yourself and providing the knowledge and methods to do so. The robot is just another tool to do that. Mecha is not underappreciated, its just not going to be what some people are looking for.
Jan 26, 2020 6:16 AM

May 2018
Takuto_Shindou said:
What about Evangelion?

Watched only a bit from it than dropped it. Never understood why the people are liking it that much (well except the visuals, those were good but I hated the story and the characters.)
From what I got - when you fight improbable enemies you fight them with improbable weapons.
Also the terminology around those mechs was weird, sinister and symbolic. If I am not mistaking the general idea was to break the mecha fans - give them something familiar and than twist it and crank it the eleven. You must know the general mecha tropes to really get what is going on.
This is like watching Madoka Magica without previous knowledge of mahou shoujo - you will ask yourself "OK, this show is cruel to little girls so what?".

Takuto_Shindou said:
but the entire series is a pretext to talk about teen angst and depression

I am under the impression that it became that only when the money for great battle scenes ended, but never watched the entire show, this is only a rumour.

Takuto_Shindou said:
not robot fights

You got those in any school anime, the thing is that you need some excuse for giving world destructing powers in angsty teenage hands.

And you really know the main reason - Gainax wanted to draw and animate some unusual and cool looking mecha fights, give some edge to this title (that is edgy teens) and put the message "But also we know that bigger weapons don't solve big problem and mecha is stupid.".
Surprisingly the resulting mess (constant changes, studio messes ect.) is beloved and regarded as classic.

TTGL is practically the same but don't takes itself seriously.
Jan 26, 2020 6:36 AM

May 2018
Zeroflamez said:

deg said:

If it evolves into that it's no longer mecha.

If we are talking about Netflix's Utraman...it's actually typical takusatsu but in animated form. Same goes for SSSS.Gridman.
Not much of evolution also not much of a mecha.
alshuJan 26, 2020 8:34 AM
Jan 26, 2020 6:41 AM

Feb 2015
Fario-P said:

Maybe he watched my video instead because I actually made a similar video two weeks ago ;)
Jan 26, 2020 6:44 AM

Feb 2017
So many people are quick to dismiss anything mecha but chances are Code Geass, NGE or Guren Lagann are among their favorites. Those are the only mecha they've seen and they are somehow convinced everything else the genre has to offer is not worth watching. They will also tell you those three aforementioned shows are not really mecha because "they focus on the characters and not mecha so they aren't really mecha shows"

This phenomenon is something I've been seeing almost daily since I started frequenting anime communities and I still can't figure out why it exists.

So yes, I do think mecha is definitely underappreciated by wider anime community.
Jan 26, 2020 6:45 AM

Jan 2009
how about bio-mecha like on Attack on Titan lol

and yep mecha is really hated to the point most do not bother watching it anymore
Jan 26, 2020 6:51 AM

Aug 2018
deg said:

and yep mecha is really hated to the point most do not bother watching it anymore
Can you elaborate more on the bio-mecha stuff.All I see in AoT are 3D maneuver gears and giant masses of meat.
Jan 26, 2020 6:53 AM

Jan 2009
sonofbatmanrp13 said:
deg said:

Can you elaborate more on the bio-mecha stuff.All I see in AoT are 3D maneuver gears and giant masses of meat.

the Titan shifters think of them as piloting a biological giant robot lol
Jan 26, 2020 6:53 AM

Feb 2017
deg said:

It's funny. I made that argument to AoT fans on many occasions and in most cases it felt like they got offended, upset or something by me trying to identify AoT as a mecha or at least saying it's greatly inspired by mecha like Muv-Luv (which is also funny because the mangaka himself cites Muv-Luv as one of his greatest inspirations for Attack on Titan).

People really do have an irrational disdain for mecha.
Jan 26, 2020 6:56 AM

Jan 2009
Tsarko said:
deg said:

It's funny. I made that argument to AoT fans on many occasions and in most cases it felt like they got offended, upset or something by me trying to identify AoT as a mecha or at least saying it's greatly inspired by mecha like Muv-Luv (which is also funny because the mangaka himself cites Muv-Luv as one of his greatest inspirations for Attack on Titan).

People really do have an irrational disdain for mecha.

agreed i will preach it from now on that Attack on Titan is a bio-mecha lol
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

22 by Nirinbo »»
1 minute ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
2 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

43 by Ex-Aid »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 11 hours ago

25 by epidemia78 »»
5 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

983 by SebasL21 »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.