Forum Settings
Forums

which animation or sakuga do you prefer more is it from Trigger studio (Kanada School) or Kyoto Animation (fluid animation)?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Poll: which animation or sakuga do you prefer more is it from Trigger studio (Kanada School) or Kyoto Animation (fluid animation)?

Jan 22, 9:13 AM

If we're going by animation alone I say Trigger. They know what mindless fun is.

Though in terms of story KyoAni wins due to consistency. I don't like absolutely everything they do but I liked a good chunk of KyoAni works I watched

Jan 22, 9:19 AM
lol Kanada School is losing badly ah well only old people like me likes that kind of animation now then

here is a 3 minute video of some of the few remaining Kanada School animators today (mostly Trigger studio animators though)

https://youtu.be/sU61oWldAZQ

Jan 22, 10:23 AM

I didn't vote because I'm definitely sure that I don't have a preference. I've enjoyed both styles in the past. I'm more a connoisseur of the storytelling aspects than the animation aspects.

Jan 22, 10:42 AM

this is like saying do you prefer Bach or Beethoven its honestly odd if you're not a fan of both of them

Jan 22, 10:43 AM

I believe it was Imaishi in the making of Kill la Kill documentary who explained why he was rejecting cuts for one of the 'Mako corners' because it was too fluid, saying the humor comes from mixing up the 'tempo.' I think back to some scenes in Lucky Star that didn't work for me (and why I'll probably never watch Nichijou based on some clips I've seen) and I have to side with Imaishi in this one regard. It's not as fun if it comes across as if the characters, and the animators, are tying too hard.

Though it all depends on the scene, so it's not like I can just pick one over the other in general.
Modified by syncrogazer, Jan 22, 10:49 AM

Jan 22, 11:05 AM

I haven't seen anything by Trigger yet but my cop out answer would be the one that fits the anime they are making. Kyoto Animation animates the way it does because they think it fits the story they are trying to tell and I assume the same is true for Trigger.

Jan 22, 11:08 AM

Gator said:
Pullman said:

I literally said 'these things don't exist in a vacuum' so this is a meaningless question as far as I'm concerned.

I have no idea what that sentence means, so forgive me my question. I'm surprised you don't have an opinion on that though, fair enough.

It just means that there's always context and I find it relatively pointless to look at such things in isolation. Meaning that if Trigger did that scene they'd probably also do the whole anime and it would be a different kind of show and who knows which I'd prefer. And if nothing about the anime changed except that one scene, then of course it would not be an improvement because the scene would stick out like a sore thumb if the rest of the show still used KyoAni's style.

Also animation styles also includes aspects such as framing and designs and it's very difficult to imagine how any isolated scene would look like if done by a different studio because they would likely not just try to copy it frame by frame with slightly different visuals, but approach it very differently to begin with, with different camera angles and so on. Style is a fairly complex thing and translating a scene from one style to another will likely result in two fairly different scenes that are not that comparable.
Too Old To Die Young

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Jan 22, 11:11 AM

describing kyoani as the "fluid" one of the two is pretty disingenuous, trigger's work is also very fluid

Jan 22, 11:13 AM
deg said:
lol Kanada School is losing badly ah well only old people like me likes that kind of animation now then

here is a 3 minute video of some of the few remaining Kanada School animators today (mostly Trigger studio animators though)

I can only see some uniqueness. You are showing us a lightning and calling it something special, some sort of school, like a thought school? Cannot find quality amongst that incredible amount of hectic, unrealistic movements. Just how old are you supposed to be to be entertained by this?
Re:formed

Jan 22, 11:18 AM

Daniel_Naumov said:
deg said:

I can only see some uniqueness. You are showing us a lightning and calling it something special, some sort of school, like a thought school? Cannot find quality amongst that incredible amount of hectic, unrealistic movements. Just how old are you supposed to be to be entertained by this?

>>>>>>"my cartoons for children are more mature than your cartoons for children"

Jan 22, 11:19 AM
Bunsuke said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

>>>>>>"my cartoons for children are more mature than your cartoons for children"

Must be like an alcohol. An alcoholic will always claim his long-rotting bottle is something to live for.
Re:formed

Jan 22, 2:02 PM
Daniel_Naumov said:
deg said:

err call it Kanada School style of animation or sakuga

im an old anime fan i started watching anime on early 1990s

Jan 24, 4:35 PM

Sakuga is cool and all, but I find anime to be a lot more enjoyable imo when there's consistency in the animation... something that feels choppy during a lot of moments and then whoop quickly good animation seems a lot more jarring to me nowadays.
Idk I guess I appreciate well animated stuff a lot more these days.... But off-model animation does have its place, I find that style to better on absurd comedies or something

side mini rant thing: not anime, but I'm looking at you, Steven Universe's Change Your Mind!! how the hell can anyone like that piece of shit special with its super rushed plot and somehow not find the animation quality change during the end jarring?!

Jan 24, 6:55 PM

I find the Kanada School style more appealing. I don't feel the need to give any technical explications on why; my brain simply finds it more satisfying.

too much fluid sakuga makes me feel uneasy.
Truths exist in dreams.
•••••••The world exists in me.

Jan 24, 10:43 PM

I think both are very nice, animation is such a diverse medium and that’s how we get amazing studios like these. My personal preference is trigger, I like the more crazy stylized stuff, but I can also sit down and appreciate kyoanis too.

Jan 24, 10:48 PM

I'd imagine it depends on what you're watching. Action heavily favors very jumpy animation style especially with fast ones. Although because that's probably the one time I can see 'sakuga' being a good thing, Kyoani takes my vote.

Jan 24, 10:52 PM

I don't really care for any Trigger anime but I love Gurren Lagann and Diebuster.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 24, 11:11 PM
Trigger's neo-Kanada style is preferable to me, though I'll take Kanada's work itself over that any day. Kyoani's animation is solid, but the Neo-Kanada style seems to me to constitute a bigger contribution to the medium in terms of adding on to the stylistic lexicon of anime, Kyoani stuff doesn't stand out as much to me. If we are just picking between limited and full animation, then neither and both, both have their place. I'm more of a 'full-limited' Utsunomiya/Iso style man myself anyways, which doesn't fit the dichotomy well.

Jan 24, 11:17 PM

Kyoto Animation's fluid animation by far!

Don't get me wrong, I love Trigger's Kanada School animation too but the affection and care that the KyoAni staff put in for each and every of their works is just incredible, particularly in the handling of their signature delicate art-style and the key-frames just make for an incredibly amazing and genuine ride imo.

I do appreciate Kanada School animation for being over-the-top and aesthetically fun though. It's a real pity that this type is scarce in the modern age.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 24, 11:45 PM

deg said:

Sucks to be old, eh? Yet when I am in the forums I see fans drooling over trigger stuff while critisizing KyoAni being OMG those big round eyes and Moeshit studio. Glad I am young (if not by age, by mind at least).
<< Why Takemoto Uruka is a Super Woman!

Jan 25, 3:34 AM

Since I don't care for animation quality at all and think that KyoAni shows are incredibly boring MeloDrama/SoL crap (except for Haruhi). I have to go with Trigger. They were involved in the making of Gurren Lagann and I like Gurren Lagann.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]