Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2020 9:53 PM

Oct 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The full 10-minute special movie is now out on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIZqZ0VoaOA
Jan 22, 2020 10:08 AM

Apr 2011
Can't even add it to my list lol wtf.
Jan 22, 2020 5:05 PM

Sep 2010
IKKIsama said:
Can't even add it to my list lol wtf.

Its not approved by the mods yet.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 23, 2020 12:10 PM

Mar 2018
This was a fun surprise to watch today, but it's not really a coherent thing, so don't expect too much from it. Probably more than anything this is an ad for the gunpla that will be made based on the new designs here.

Whoever was in charge of animating Amuro's expressions NAILED it. Seeing Amuro throughout this was my favorite part, it makes me really wish they would give 0079 the Origin treatment. Sunrise plz

That and the part where the G40 grabbed the Zaku's face and yeeted it. That was sick.
Jan 26, 2020 9:01 AM

May 2013
I really dig the retro aesthetic they were going with. Nailed the character designs for sure.

The CG mechs were pretty great too. Gundam does CG mechs well so I am not surprised there, lol.

A weird glimpse at an alternate retelling is super neat.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jan 26, 2020 9:10 AM

Jun 2015
Yes, I liked the retro design too, they even reused original voice acting.
Sunrise is up to something with this, not only gunplas.
Jan 26, 2020 9:17 AM
Mar 2017
That animation was amazing...just 11 minutes of it. I need more Sunrise! Plus something cohesive would be nice, but I’ve watched worse.
Jan 26, 2020 9:24 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
We can finally add this to our lists. This was a nice little call back to Mobile Suit Gundam. I want a remake of the Mobile Suit Gundam series so bad though.
Jan 26, 2020 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
Interesting animation, but too disjointed to be properly enjoyable.
Jan 26, 2020 11:45 AM

Nov 2014
Was nice to watch though reminds me of how little mecha is appearing nowadays.
Jan 27, 2020 12:44 AM

Jun 2016
I wouldn't mind a 0079 remake that looks like this. These are the best CG mobile suits to date. Also it's always nice hearing Ikeda and Furuya reprising their roles.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 27, 2020 1:12 AM

Feb 2017
That was cool. I liked how RX called to Amuro.
Jan 27, 2020 4:59 AM

Dec 2015
Can anyone tell me who the woman in the beginning is?

Also completely loved the character designs and animation, they really used the 3d models to their advantage, it was amazingly choreographed and I really enjoyed how they updated the art style while still staying true to the original design principles (whether it was the effect art, background or the characters themselves)
Jan 28, 2020 3:14 AM

Dec 2015
Nice Amuro design... the RX78 new style? why not... the 3DCGI? Mmh...
The Zeon intruder parading, waving, chopping like it's a normal day? XD

Enjoyment: 4/5
Score: 5/10
What was the point to create an events altering character just for some advertisement spot remaking scenes?

@CodeBlazeFate Seen?

Who the hell is this "Camalia/Camelia Ray"??
@Jacksnapp Tem's sister who happens to be into engineering and fancy dresses? His secret space wife, since he left Earth for so long? Maybe another dimension's Amuro 's mother who plays the same role than Tem Ray in the world we know? I'm not sure we really want to know...

Switch_Z said:
they even reused original voice acting.

I don't think they would dare hiring another actor than Furuya to play Amuro, unless they really had to. Even Ikeda was only "replaced" once, I think.

AshitaNoJonas said:
I don't remember that woman from the anime (or the Origin manga).

Since we have her name, you're welcomed to build your own theories about her. ;)
(I forgot to say that I like the way they "retained" some resemblance with the original Amuro drawing (although I still love the perfected design by Yasuhiko)
Rei_IIIJan 29, 2020 2:24 AM
Jan 28, 2020 4:34 AM

Feb 2015
This was a pretty cool short movie. I especially liked how oldschool this felt, because of the music and character designs. But I'm not sure really sure what the beginning is supposed to be based on. I don't remember that woman from the anime (or the Origin manga). Also weird how half the video is just the credits... :D

@Rei_III Just watched it. ^^
Mar 11, 2020 6:44 PM

Jul 2017
I didn't really like this. It was like an odd version of the original show crunched into 7 minutes. It wasn't even really coherent. Like others said, I assume it's an ad for a new show or Gunpla sets.
Jul 16, 2020 6:31 AM

Aug 2017
What kind of colony is that? What is it based on? According to ANN,
The space colony in the beginning of the video is designed after an Alfa Romeo wheel, while its interior is heavily inspired by Monaco.

O_o
Gundam wiki:
Instead of Side 7 Noa being an O'Neill Cylinder at L3, it is a Stanford Torus in Low Earth Orbit similar to Laplace. The colonists are also depicted wearing 18th century-style fashion.

Voices and soundtracks got reused. Well, I wouldn't try using another voice actor or change the iconic music, so that's fair. But this, and some weird visual effects from the late 70s-early 80s were really strange in the context of a 2020 anime and its overall style.

Char's kick got replicated too.

Somehow this whole thing looks more like a video fragment from a game than an anime. But what's even the point of wasting resources on this? Ah yes, gunpla ads. The ED with all those sketches was pretty nice though.

St0rmbladeJul 16, 2020 6:41 AM
Nov 1, 2020 1:14 AM

Apr 2009
So what's the deal with Amuro's mom on the bridge standing ominously in front of the Gundam? Is this some Eva stuff where she's part of the Gundam somehow and why the robot was chasing and calling out to Amuro?
Nov 15, 2020 9:48 PM

Nov 2013
The blue close-up is as iconic as ever. This just missing Amuro's scream.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.