Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 21, 2020 11:03 AM
Jan 2020
People complain that she's a Mary Sue and is too obsessed with Eren. She isn't obsessed with him, she's overprotective. She promised Carla (Eren's mother) that she would look out for Eren and keep him out of danger. Remember she's Eren's adopted sister so she feels it's her responsibility to not lose sight of him, even though Eren may not always approve of it.
Another thing I don't get is people say that's one-dimensional and has no personality. Really?? She's the second main character after Eren and the entire show focuses on her, Eren and Armin all fighting for survival and the changes they go through is vast. Mikasa is really skilled but she also has her faults as well, like her yandere side and being emotionally unstable.

People call Levi overrated but then they say "At least Levi does a complete 360 in season 3 and becomes a really interesting character. Mikasa doesn't change in the slightest." I really don't agree at all. I think Mikasa really does change. She helps Eren develop as a character instead of pulling him back like she used to. And she proves herself to be a worthy soldier and one of the best fighters in Erwin and Levi's squad. She goes through major character development and gets hated for it. Why's this? She's one of the most important characters in this show.
snow678Jan 27, 2020 11:07 AM
Jan 21, 2020 11:18 AM

Nov 2018
How is being a good fighter character development? Last time I checked that's nothing new with her character.
Jan 21, 2020 11:27 AM

Dec 2018
It’s more so she is the least interesting character out of the main cast. She doesn’t have many conflicts that don’t relate to combat and she excels at them. You very rarely see her struggle excluding cases that resolve around Eren being in trouble. I’m not saying that there aren’t times where she is developed when Eren isn’t in the equation but almost her whole development is based around Eren being in some kind of trouble which is boring.
Jan 26, 2020 4:48 PM

Aug 2019
She's definitely not a Mary Sue. She's had her ass kicked a few times throughout the show. S1 EP7 when was on the verge of getting killed by titans before Eren stepped in, and then S2 EP12 when she had her ribs broken trying to save Eren from Bertolt and Reiner. She's quite clearly one of humanity's best soldiers, through her Ackermann bloodline, but she's not the type that comes up with answers to any obstacle she comes across.

She's not exactly a flawless character either.

The issue I have is less with Mikasa herself but how she was written. She had so much potential and various different aspects of her character that could have been explored with her tragic backstory, and weren't.

Despite being a member of the three main cast, she hasn't really had a character arc, unlike Eren or Armin. She was quite well written in Season 1, less so in S2, but her development has stagnated markedly since S3.

Having read the manga, she will get a little more development, but at this point she seems nothing more than a really strong soldier.

Jan 26, 2020 5:02 PM

Nov 2011
She is the least developed character among the main cast. She is like Orihime from Bleach except with less personality and can only do one thing, fighting.

Jan 26, 2020 11:21 PM
Apr 2019
I don’t hate Mikasa, I feel pity for her.
[spoiler alert]

Mikasa is too much obsessed with Eren, She has only one goal in her life,it's to protect Eren.
When Eren lost his control at Trost district, other elite soldiers from Garrison were about to leave him, At that moment Mikasa was even attempting to interfere with her skills. I don’t know, if the leader hadn’t stopped her she might have killed those soldiers.

When Levi was going to inject Erwin instead of Armin, Eren insisted, Mikasa didn’t until Levi kicked Eren.
Mikasa wasn’t desperate to save Armin, until Eren insisted.
What I'm trying to say Mikasa has no personality.
She is just a tool programmed to protect Eren no matter the cost.
AND IT'S NOT HER FAULT!!!

It's Eren who have made Mikasa to suffer. He was the one who activated her Ackerman bond.
I'm sure Eren knows it, and I hope he will take responsibility for this.
Mikasa is just a victim.
Jan 26, 2020 11:22 PM
Apr 2019
Mikasa will only shine if Eren is dead. That's a proved fact from episode 7.
Jan 26, 2020 11:23 PM

Apr 2013
She's the 3rd most favorited female character on MAL, that doesn't seem like someone hated by a lot of people to me.
Jan 26, 2020 11:33 PM

Sep 2019
Because she barely talks

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Apr 27, 2020 5:46 AM
Mar 2011
Mikasa is the best character in the show, IMHO. If she is really the 3rd most favorited female character on MAL, so she is really fine :)
Apr 27, 2020 7:47 PM

Jul 2017
Most people don't. The people that do probably somehow missed the scene with her abs, or the scene with her glorious bed hair.

Apr 28, 2020 5:18 AM

Jul 2019
1st 2 seasons, she was one of the top character of the show but season 3 was a letdown for her to be honest and I haven't heard anything good about her (and Armin too) for the upcoming season 4 till now. I hope they both get development and have better relation with the world. After all they are parts of the trio of AOT.
puneetsinghApr 28, 2020 8:29 PM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Apr 28, 2020 5:25 AM
Jul 2018
Eren is her whole personality and that is boring to me. I honestly cannot stand any character that only lives for another character.
Apr 28, 2020 1:13 PM

Dec 2017
puneetsingh said:
1st 2 seasons, she was one of the top character of the show but season 3 was a letdown for her to be honest and I haven't heard anything good about her (and Armin too) for the upcoming season 4 till now. I hope they both get development and have better relation. After all they are trio of AOT.

They will, without spoiling they will. ALthough personally I never liked armin at all.
“There is something in this world which no one has ever seen.
It is soft and sweet.
If it is spotted, I'm sure everyone will want to have it,
Which is why no one has ever seen it.
For this world has hidden it quite well, so that it is difficult to obtain.
But, there will come a day when it is discovered by somebody,
And only those who should obtain it will be able to find it.
That is all.”

Yuyuko Takemiya
Apr 28, 2020 1:24 PM

Jul 2019
I never seen her receive hate, in fact, I thought she was the second most loved character behind Levi
Apr 30, 2020 5:04 AM

Jul 2019
Bhaskar_Singh said:
I feel this show is not like other anime which put to much emphasis on characters. It is more of a plot driven show which has a goal to reach unlike most mainstream shows which beat around the bush doing slice of like things and people call that character development. Story is not affected too much by the personality of characters.I think this is what makes this show unique and worth respecting for.
This is also the reason why this show gets hate overall and not just mikasa because it does not have cute waifu momments and strange anime faces we get in every other anime for funny moments.
Each character has certain role in the well thought off plot and nothing else should be expected from them.
This show is not for simple minded people who expect those things from every anime.
Most people hating this show are the ones who watch too much of those long shounes comedy slice of life animes , hate that this show is popular and just watched it to criticize.

People can nitpick and hate all they want but there has never been created a better anime or manga that this till now. I dont care what has been was released in early days of anime industry.
I dont sympathize or use nostalgic feelings while judging a show and that is what brought me to this conclusion.

Peace.
Do you even read manga to say that though?
puneetsinghApr 30, 2020 5:16 AM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Apr 30, 2020 5:10 AM
Jan 2018
puneetsingh said:
Bhaskar_Singh said:
I feel this show is not like other anime which put to much emphasis on characters. It is more of a plot driven show which has a goal to reach unlike most mainstream shows which beat around the bush doing slice of like things and people call that character development. Story is not affected too much by the personality of characters.I think this is what makes this show unique and worth respecting for.
This is also the reason why this show gets hate overall and not just mikasa because it does not have cute waifu momments and strange anime faces we get in every other anime for funny moments.
Each character has certain role in the well thought off plot and nothing else should be expected from them.
This show is not for simple minded people who expect those things from every anime.
Most people hating this show are the ones who watch too much of those long shounes comedy slice of life animes , hate that this show is popular and just watched it to criticize.

People can nitpick and hate all they want but there has never been created a better anime or manga that this till now. I dont care what has been was released in early days of anime industry.
I dont sympathize or use nostalgic feelings while judging a show and that is what brought me to this conclusion.

Peace.

No i dont but i know its well adapted. Art is not very impressive from what i have seen but the anime fixes that.Hope the following season is well adapted too.
This is a discussion about a character, why the hell do i have to read the manga to say anything?
Bhaskar_SinghApr 30, 2020 5:14 AM
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Apr 30, 2020 5:14 AM

Jul 2019
Bhaskar_Singh said:
puneetsingh said:

No i dont but i know its well adapted. Hope the following season is well adapted too.
This is a discussion about a character, why the hell do i have to read the manga to say anything?
I think you got overflow with your emotions in your previous to previous post.
Apr 30, 2020 5:21 AM

Oct 2019
i love SnK but i dislike Mikasa. i don't hate her, i just find her irritating.
for a series that has an incredibly intricate plot and characters who have great depth, Mikasa is just on the surface level really annoying.

she has great potential, but she really falls flat.

Mikasa was set up as a primary character same with Eren and Armin, but has had far, far less independent character development than them and even some of the lesser characters.

on a more petty note, i just cannot get past the fact that she's always neighing "eeeEERenN" like a fucking horse. makes me want to slap her.
May 5, 2020 10:04 PM

Aug 2019
Mikasa has always been the worst out of the main characters for me. I know it's in her personality but her lack of words hurt her character imo. We rarely go into her thoughts and if we do, most of the time they are linear. Her only characteristics are her stoicism and strength. Yes we see her get emotional at times but we don't get into her head and rarely view situations from her perspective. There isn't enough done with her to feel like a main character.

I also dislike how she relies on brute strength to win her battles. We rarely see her in situations where she needs wit and intuition. I think I'd say this for most of the survey corps since they all rely on Erwin, Armin, Jean and Hange to solve their problems. Everyone else is a tool which I think hurts the series. That's just me though.
SkullKn1ghtMay 5, 2020 10:12 PM
May 8, 2020 11:50 PM
Jan 2018
puneetsingh said:
Bhaskar_Singh said:

No i dont but i know its well adapted. Hope the following season is well adapted too.

Maybe cause people keep on spreading hate about the show. They nitpick stupid things like bad character development or pacing cause they are jealous of the popularity of this show.
Ask these people what character development is and
which show has good developed character , you will get the weirdest answers.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
May 9, 2020 9:11 AM

Jun 2016
For a main character she's super bland and uninteresting, also her whole character revolves around Eren for the most part and that gets annoying.
Most people only like her for having 'badass' moments that are not even much nowadays and some other people simply like her for being a female.
May 13, 2020 9:13 AM

Jul 2017
I used to like Attack on Titan when I first saw it, and Mikasa I liked purely because she was badass with fighting and that she was protective and caring for Eren.

But as I'm rewatching this 3 years later and after seeing tons more anime, yeah it's apparent not only the story seems to be weaker for me, but Mikasa does lack dimensions and doesn't really interest me other than she's not a bad person who cares for her close friend.
May 13, 2020 9:32 AM

Mar 2016
I like her VA, but I don't particularly don't like Mikasa as a main heroine. Yea, she's badass and has a decent background, but she barely gets any proper character development throughout the stretch of the story, imho.
May 17, 2020 4:59 AM

Jul 2019
Bhaskar_Singh said:
puneetsingh said:

Maybe cause people keep on spreading hate about the show. They nitpick stupid things like bad character development or pacing cause they are jealous of the popularity of this show.
Ask these people what character development is and
which show has good developed character , you will get the weirdest answers.
I got ya. Pacing seems better but character development, I think still it has to do something upgrading for sure for Mikasa and Armin. For others, I think character development is not that big of a problem but I hope season 4 will have better mikasa and armin as I am not hearing good things about them from manga readers.
May 17, 2020 5:39 AM

Oct 2019
She’s a decent character if you consider her past and look into her thought in the manga, for the anime I don’t think everything has been explained yet so it’s understandable for the hate. But if there’s one thing I can tell you, it’s that she’s going through some big changes and I’m sure by the end of it she will be a splendid character.
May 27, 2020 11:25 PM
Apr 2019
Kaiser-chan said:
She is the least developed character among the main cast. She is like Orihime from Bleach except with less personality and can only do one thing, fighting.
buddy just read the manga
May 27, 2020 11:35 PM

Nov 2011
S_Bakhshi said:
Kaiser-chan said:

I did. Nothing's changed, buddy.

May 27, 2020 11:42 PM

Jan 2020
S_Bakhshi said:
Kaiser-chan said:
Yeah, nope.
The manga doesn't really do anything to develop her character either. She stays the same bland, eren-obsessing character she already is. Maybe even worse.

You might argue

Not just that

Especially in a series with such outstanding writing, knowing that she's one of main cast is just painful to watch/read.
May 28, 2020 1:05 AM

Dec 2018
She isn't a very deep character for sure, I'd give it, but that doesn't mean that she's unlikable. First of all, her yandere side towards Eren isn't the only side of her personality, she definitely also has a kuudere type of personality which she shows several times, I mean, a silent & stoic type of personality while dealing with/confronting enemies. The insecure side of her personality shows up when Eren is in some sort of danger, a.k.a. her Yandere type of personality.

Like for example:

https://youtu.be/liRNUK2hmEs?t=59

Take a look at the part where she threats the president in order to open the gate & make way for the people ---> you can clearly see that she's clearly displaying a character trait reminiscent of very strong kuudere archetype of characters, characters who don't display much emotion but still manage to stamp their authority via displaying a strong stoic, silent demeanor. This aside of her personality is actually her primary trait, which comes to the fore many-a-times when she confronts enemies, her Yandere side towards Eren is more of a secondary persona aspect of her, which is the insecure side of personality coming to the fore when Eren happens to be somehow in danger. Also, let's be honest, Eren started out as a very wacky, whiny hot-tempered MC (despite the fact that I gradually came to love his character throughout the course of the series) & Mikasa's character was indeed very important to keep something Eren im check, especially in the 1st season, which is an importance of her character many people tend tend to overlook.

And lastly, she has very cool design, looks super-badass in action, the action-moments she's a part of are mostly super-hype ---> which is why I think her character do works very well in a show like AoT, a show which takes place in a brutal, gory, bloody & action-heavy world; in undeniable that action is one of the major important aspects/appeal of a show like AoT, especially given its very premise/concept upon which the show is based upon; so I think Mikasa's badass fighting prowess & cool action moments does fit very well in the context of the show.

For all the aforementioned reasons I stated above, I personally was in love with Mikasa's character right from the very start. It's not like I don't understand the reasons why several people tend to dislike her, but I adore her & do find her character who is most of the time quite interesting & fun enough to watch....in the context of the show, at least.
345EdwardElricMay 28, 2020 6:07 AM
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
Jul 11, 2020 6:38 PM
Sep 2019
I honestly thought Mikasa was one of the best characters and I never understood why people thought she didn't care about anyone else except Eren. I admit that I hopped on the 'hate mikasa' bandwagon when it first started, but when I rewatched the AOT again I realised she IS DEVELOPED just not as much as the other characters. That doesn't mean she isn't characterized at all. Idk bout you guys but I was 12 when I started aot and other than her baddass moments I didn't care anything else about her. When the hate for her character started I felt like those reasons were justified. I had to change my mind when I saw season 1 and 2. Man I can't beleive I used to hate her character because I was so suprised when she helped the people escape by getting that damn wagon out of that hole because in my mind she didn't care about anyone except Eren but if that was the case then why did she help them get that out. She must have atleast the least amount of care for humanity to do that. (Unlike Ymir who wouldn't even save those people even if she could since she only cares about Historia and I don't seeing her get hate for it. More on that later) I forgot all about that scene so even if I did see it again it only changed my perception of Mikasa only a bit since it didn't change the fact that she'd prioritize Eren if he was there. The scene where it truly clicked that it was not only alright for her to do that but also expected was when she came to help historia in season 2 episode 5. That's when Ymir sacrificed herself to save Historia and was ambushed by all the titans. That's the scene where mikasa saved historia from the titan who was about to eat her and her first concern was asking Historia if she was alright. U know someone who only cares about Eren wouldn't necessarily do that. That's when I actually noticed. It's not only mikasa who does that. Even historia kept on 'barking like a horse' (I think that's what someone said here) Ymir's name when Eren and Ymir were both taken by the colossal titan in season 2. Throughout that whole episode Historia's only concern was Ymir and not Eren. And Ymir's only concern was historia not Ymir, berthroldt, or Reiner when she saved them from the tower. She even admitted that she doesn't care for humanity and that she only cares for Historia. I don't see ANYONE talking about that. And my point is not bashing her here but to all those people out there who hate Mikasa only because she cares about Eren then why don't you hate Ymir, Historia or any other character who cares for another. Why Mikasa? I think it's only because you hate that she's popular. I truly see no other reason. You think lack of character development is a good reason to hate someone? Then Imo even Armin wasn't really developed that well atleast until season 3. I honestly did not care about Armin until season 3 where we actually got a look into his thoughts. If you want something like that for mikasa to then shouldn't you guys atleast wait for the whole anime to finish before deciding for yourself to what she's like. I am happy with all that I've seen of Mikasa and I don't think I need to hate Mikasa anymore. I was naive when i thought those reasons justified hating a character just because other people thought so too. I just hope any other person out there like me can also get their get outta the gutter because hating Mikasa and bi*ching about her to my friends is the worst part of my dark past. I hope no one else has to go through what I did.
Mikano09038152Jul 11, 2020 6:53 PM
Aug 7, 2020 6:56 PM
May 2020
the only thing she brings to the table is raw strength. she doesnt have any internal struggle, any external enemies well shes mikasa so thats all. its boring
her eren obsession is so aggravating as a female. Ymir would be an example of a whipped character yet she exists aside from krista, theres substance to her
Aug 8, 2020 9:46 PM

May 2019
NakolHira said:
Mikasa will only shine if Eren is dead. That's a proved fact from episode 7.

Yep that's the only time I felt some development in Mikasa until the time Eren came and saved her

Tbh I never realize Mikasa is part of main cast and as seasons passed by her presence diminished even further.I don't hate her I simply don't care for her.And if want a character with superhuman fighting skills there is always Levi.

Sorry I'll change it,after realizing her presence in anime what she has done is only "Ereh,Ereh,Ereh".Yes she is a hate worthy character.Initially I shipped Eren and Mikasa but after rewatching I am really happy about what author has done.Although we saw a glimpse of boldness Mikasa displayed after Eren was assumed to be dead and I want that back.Unless something happens in S4,I will not care even if she dies.Even guys like Hannes were able to show such a great amount of emotional attachment and character development in such a short span of time that their death struck our heart strings.
Aug 8, 2020 9:52 PM

Oct 2017
Every line she says is equivalent to 'eren".
Aug 9, 2020 12:36 AM
Jun 2020
Someone is salty that his waifu got bashed somewhere it seems. I like it!
Aug 9, 2020 12:30 PM
Aug 2020
Because she rarely speaks (or speaks very little) and shows her emotions, and being a stoic does not help her at all. Eren is the main focus of like 80% of the very little she says. There is a YouTube video that shows how many times she says 'Eren'. It's annoying. We know that she has lost a lot, but her obsession is unhealthy. Also, because she comes across as a redundant character, like an inferior Levi in terms of skills (I doubt she will be ever as good). Why do we need a weaker Levi? Also, even though she cries whenever something really bad happens, we hardly see any warmth in her interaction with her closest friends before any tragic events occur (she mainly reacts to events, but never seems to offer much warmth voluntarily). For a stoic character, a lot more "show" needs to be used (not "tell"), and Mikasa suffers from too much "tell". It's also hard to believe how she feels a connection to someone as annoying as Eren. Maybe she just feels indebted, and there is nothing more to her bond. Most girls would be repulsed by Eren's constant screaming.
Aug 13, 2020 6:05 AM
Jul 2020
I don't hate it but I think it's because her character is undeveloped.
Nov 2, 2020 8:18 AM
Oct 2020
I personally don't really hate her, but i can see why people hate her, I mean her personality is just so bland, everything involves eren with her. She's also depicted as very strong, but the ONLY times i've seen her fail / almost die is when, you guessed it, eren has died or eren's life is at stake. And the ova episode she got, it's also about eren.
I dont think they can change her character that much now, bc shes already've been established as eren's protector / bodyguard from s1-s3 part2, but i really do hope they explore her character more in the final season. Maybe Jean×Mikasa? I mean Jean's been simping from day one, if someone can treat her right it's him. Don't forget he saved her life once.
Nov 2, 2020 8:38 AM

Jul 2020
I personally love her i don't understand why people hate her, she is in her best in final season i think she was not outstanding but fun to watch
Nov 2, 2020 1:03 PM
Jul 2020
She is fucking overpowered for no reason. Also she’s a mary sue.
Nov 4, 2020 9:59 AM
Jul 2020
Eren Eren Eren Eren Eren Eren Eren Eren Eren....

Are you satisfied now....?
Nov 4, 2020 11:25 AM

Feb 2018
Wait, people hate on Mikasa? Wut :P
Feb 19, 2021 5:17 AM
Jul 2018
Mikasa is a terrible character and has such a horrible mindset that it is feels sick how normal the anime treats her.

She did have character devolopment, but it wasn't good, she became dependent to live, she can't live without eren, she lives for eren, she doesn't care about anything more than eren, that is a mental problem and the anime doesn't give 2 shits about her illness, they even joke around about that.

Now talking about her character devolopment indepth, she did have it in her backstory when she killed that man, where she learns she has to fight to win, but she didn't had any reason to live after all her parents died, she had no one, and instead of learning to live for herself she learned to live for eren, that is sick and not in a good way, the second time she got devolopment was when eren "died" so she learned to keep living without eren, why? BECAUSE IF SHE DIED SHE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO REMEMBER EREN. After those events she had no more devolopment, so this is her current state in the anime, a obessesive person who lives for another person. One thing is love, another is being dependent.

Also no, being strong isn't devolopment.
Feb 19, 2021 10:31 AM
Jan 2021
not even isayama asspull could save her. Should tell you enough
Feb 20, 2021 3:42 AM
Jul 2020
mikasa my queen!!!!

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

37 by Stny »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.