Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 24, 2020 8:36 AM
Sep 2018
Why did she have to kill childman
I didn't see the need for it

also, while fighting orphen did she actually turn into her true self or it was just a visual representation of her?
Jan 24, 2020 9:29 AM

Nov 2008
Wistaire said:

The constantly explaining everything directly to the audience even when it's already obvious. Either it's meant for little kids or for people with no brains.

JoJo's anime CONSTANTLY does that but nobody complains it's for six-year-olds or for people with no brains?

A lot of anime based on novels does have an exposition problem...but I think that's hard to avoid, given the source material. Unless the writers REALLY know how to do it.

As of now, Orphen's manga is definitely better because it doesn't have that exposition.
ChiibiJan 24, 2020 9:50 AM

Jan 24, 2020 4:43 PM

May 2008
Chiibi said:
Wistaire said:

The constantly explaining everything directly to the audience even when it's already obvious. Either it's meant for little kids or for people with no brains.

JoJo's anime CONSTANTLY does that but nobody complains it's for six-year-olds or for people with no brains?

A lot of anime based on novels does have an exposition problem...but I think that's hard to avoid, given the source material. Unless the writers REALLY know how to do it.

As of now, Orphen's manga is definitely better because it doesn't have that exposition.

I don't enjoy jojo either- live and let live.
Jan 24, 2020 6:00 PM

Oct 2015
Chiibi said:
YggdraSEED said:
Guy went from wanting to smash Azalie

He never thought of her like that; she's just his mentor and older sister. Geeze. :p

Meh, I thought there was some sexual tension. I mean why would Azalie bring up the option to make her his, if that wasn't a hint at some kind of attraction between the two.
Jan 24, 2020 6:05 PM

Nov 2008
siradix said:

Meh, I thought there was some sexual tension. I mean why would Azalie bring up the option to make her his, if that wasn't a hint at some kind of attraction between the two.

I would agree if he at least blushed or something when she said that...but I have YET to see Orphen blush over anything though it's something I strongly desire. xD

Jan 24, 2020 6:19 PM

Oct 2015
Chiibi said:

I would agree if he at least blushed or something when she said that...but I have YET to see Orphen blush over anything though it's something I strongly desire. xD

Stoic protagonist would be his category, and they don't really blush. Plus he would be banging Childman that looks like Azalie and has her soul. Sure the body changes shape, but in the back of your mind you are thinking of Childman. I don't think I would get me to blush, when thinking of that.
Jan 24, 2020 6:52 PM

Nov 2008
Orphen's anything but stoic though; he has a hair-trigger temper.

But he didn't even blush as a younger kid...when Azalie hung around him. It's really a sister-brother (not incest) relationship.

Jan 25, 2020 6:34 AM
Sep 2019
Yeah, nah I am honestly lost with this series story

We go from Orphen wanting to save Azalie to having Azalie as the enemy

and I'm still trying to figure out if this series is a sequel or a reboot
Jan 25, 2020 2:27 PM

Nov 2008
LeighV1 said:

We go from Orphen wanting to save Azalie to having Azalie as the enemy

Yeah, because a person can change in five years' time and she changed for the worse, it seems.

and I'm still trying to figure out if this series is a sequel or a reboot

It's a remake. Going to be more faithful to the source material...because the 90s version wasn't.

Jan 25, 2020 2:41 PM

Aug 2017
I was really enjoying it till this episode. The plot twist isn't really the problem, but the way that it was executed. It was rushed, it was confusing, and really bad explained. I had no problem with Azalie kinda turning into the "villain" tho, but she could have handled the things in a less idiotic way ffs. She just let everyone die when she could have killed the dragon with no effort, and her intentions haven't been explained at all. The animation is surprisingly good considering it's from Deen so I will keep watching hoping that they don't rush the next arcs.
Jan 25, 2020 2:54 PM
Jan 2016
Honestly I was keeping up with the story pretty well up until this episode.....lol. At least this show has raw entertainment value to make up for what is about to be a clusterfuck of a story lol.
Jan 25, 2020 8:13 PM
Sep 2019

It's a remake. Going to be more faithful to the source material...because the 90s version wasn't.[/quote]

OK thanks mate
Jan 26, 2020 1:14 AM

Feb 2012
For an anime being re-done from the 90's, in the 21st century, this series comes off as really stiff. If they wanted to do the art style identical (or at least as choppy) as the series from the 90's, why bother remaking it? The VA is pretty flat and requiring the character to self-dialogue, in order to allow the viewer to "keep up", treats us like we're idiots who can't follow the simplistic story.
"The speck of fear grows in your eyes
You'll meet your death in no disguise
It may come as a small surprise
There will be no compromise for you"

- Nikopol Lyrics, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Jan 26, 2020 8:44 PM

Dec 2009
Well that was rushed, those 3 episodes were basically the entire first season of the original series.
Jan 28, 2020 4:23 AM

May 2018
wtf is going on. The animation is solid especially considering DEEN's shitty standards
Jan 28, 2020 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
I wonder if orphen x everlasting will happen
Feb 5, 2020 1:50 PM

Aug 2018
This plot twist was Good but it was done Bad
So now I don't know what do should I just Drop it or just continue it hmmm?
2/10
Feb 8, 2020 3:45 PM

Nov 2009
That's some plot twist...

But I guess Orphan's wish came true?

he wanted to return Azalie back to a human... which I guess he did in the end?... but they still end up going separate way... quite sad...
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Feb 10, 2020 9:08 AM

Jun 2009
I think the anime does not make clear that Azalie was in love with Childman and he refused her.
After that she went crazy after power so she would become a "worthy woman" for Childman.
When the spell with the sword backfired and Childman was mobilizing the tower to take her down she went rampage, wanting revenge.
In the end she killed Childman after a misunderstanding, after all it is implied that he liked her and wanted to help her.
They rushed this arc too much.
Feb 20, 2020 10:10 AM

Jun 2016
Lol, this is told completely different from the 1998 version, which I can't say I'm enjoying atm

Childman tho, slaughtering all those mages as the monster, I kinda feel bad for him. Azalie why? Why goddammit?

Apr 8, 2020 3:17 PM

Aug 2017
What? I thought this was going to last the entire series, not juist 3 episodes.....Now, the plot twist makes a bit sense but it has several plot holes which I hope will be answered or explained later.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 28, 2020 1:57 AM
Jan 2019
What did Azalie mean by “I’ve always believed in you too... and if I were back in my own body I’d give you all of me to make you see that“ ??
Apr 29, 2020 9:26 AM

Apr 2011
Watta twist.

Now that Azalie's arc is over, I wonder what he'll do next?
Jun 14, 2021 12:43 AM

Jul 2015
Monster is quite strong in this version, in the other version it felt like it could've died at any moment whereas here it almost obliterates everyone even poor Comicron. I sure didn't expect the switched conciousness and the confrontation to occur so early on, feels pretty rushed and worse in my opinion compared to how the old version did it.

Apr 5, 2023 10:20 PM

May 2010
Overall I'm enjoying this so far. This could have taken another episode to breathe and establish the characters a little more before killing off a few to make their deaths more impactful. The flashback to less than a minute ago when the guy healed Orphan's arm gave me a laugh for how poorly they tried to make us care For a character who had like two minutes of screen time total. The big twist of the episode went by fast and didn't hold as much weight as it could have. They spent about as much time explaining the twist compared to building the story and the characters to make it impactful and thats why it fell flat. Still they did a decent job of setting it up and explaining it so Im not sure why so many people were confused about what happened.
Jun 11, 2023 1:15 AM

Jan 2021
After reading the first novel in its official translation (I've read a fan translation before), I'd give this adapted to anime arc a 5/10 (I'll be using both novels and new manga images to illustrate some parts), while I give a solid 9/10 for the novel:

- Contrary to popular belief, this is not that faithfully adapted. Let's begin with the beginning: the novel starts with the prologue being the scene of Azalie transformation, but it's way less gory in the anime. The book describes her organs and flesh falling on the floor, while tentacles and scales take place, and a lot of blood. It also took place in Azalie's bedroom rather than the big hall. Overall fathfulness: 8/10.

-The background lore explanation isn't in the first novel if my memory serves me right, I believe it's either from volume 2 or 4, but it was a good addition nonetheless.

- Then, 5 years later, we see Orphen chasing down the dwarves and Coggie meets him. This scene is actually from the Reckless series and replaced the novel part, both the old and new manga adapted this scene ok, with the recent manga being like almost 100% faithful to the source material, so if you don't wanna read a 191 page book, read both volumes 1 and 2 from the newer manga (although the mangaka is not good at drawing memorable scenes, but the story there is legit faithful). Anyways, in the novel, Volkan wakes up Orphen and he blasts the door with magic. Then the wedding con plan takes place as usual.

Coggie, a main character in the Reckless spin-off arc, set months before the first novel

-The Azalie attack wasn't in the Everlasting armor/weaponry deposit but rather in the very same mansion Orphen was in, as depicted by the novel itself:

Anyway, the explosion happened, Orphen tried to get away blut Cleao begged for help, them he ran to the explosion source and the door was locked, so he chanted a spell to unlock it. In this part, the book explains the difference in between black and white sorceries, as well as to why sorcerers have to chant the spell with their voice. He opens the door and the scene is the one in the image above. Then Azalie began to scream and a fire spell was cast, Orphen cast the halo shield spell, Azalie left in the explosion effect. There were no sorcerers from the tower waiting outside, so that scene of Orphen beating 4-5 people didn't actually happen, although it was kinda cool to watch (but it could look even better with a better studio anyway). Overall faithfulness: 7/10

- What happens next? A flashback chapter depicting Orphen's past. The funeral part, actually. Then he wakes up at the prison cell and the argument in between the dwarf brothers takes place. The anime depicts this part later, but in episode 2, a part from the pre-arc is shown instead, to create a bond in between the viewer and minor characters like Heartia, Comicron and etc. Would have worked if the first season was solely focused on a mix in between pre-arc and volume 1, but 3-4 episodes for that is rushed as fuck. Anyway, here is the cut part, it's Cleao who bails Orphen out, not Heartia:

Anime:

New manga and novel: 

So, she bails him out due to her family receiving a death threat letter, so of course they asked for Orphen's help. 
“I think someone’s threatening to kill my whole family.”

“A valuable source has informed us that you are in possession of one artifact known as the Sword of Baldanders, and we will be coming to retrieve it. Your intentions for the sword are irrelevant. If you fail to hand it over to us for whatever reason, then we will take it by alternative measures if we must. Failure to comply with these demands may have disastrous results for you and your family. We will be coming to collect the sword on the following day"

Whoever watched the old anime remembers that Heartia is the Black Tiger, right? Well, he's no creation of J.C Staff! He was indeed in the first novel. At night, when they were all in the Everlasting property, this happens:

And boy, a helluva fight takes place, this would have looked awesome if animated by, I dunno, Pierrot, Mappa, IG, Wit, ufotable, you name it. Just read the chapter, I'm not spoiling this fight scene. So, it happens that Heartia was just a decoy, because Childman, dressed in a disguise was in the house to "kill" the girls, but he actually just put a "GPS" on the Baltanders Sword (the book spells it with a D instead of a T and is the most accurate word to the baldanders myth).

So they fight and his masks falls down, revealing he's Childman, he backs Orphen away with his magic and they leave. THEN Orphen, in the next day, comes to see Heartia. But it still does cut stuff too. Black Tiger returns later while Cleo, Volkan and Dortin are waiting for Orphen in a pub (if you guys remember it, only sorcerers are allowed into the Tower of Fangs' branches). A good fight scene happens too, and to be honest, I quite liked the shield they added to Cleao in the new manga, while in the novel, she went straight to a two handed wielding sword:

Imma keep the comparison up to this point, cuz it's somewhat lenghty, as if someone would have any interest in this flopped anime, anyway, but it was fun, though, let me know if you guys want the full arc compared to the novel/new manga.
fudish123Aug 2, 2023 8:59 AM
Aug 1, 2023 11:41 PM
Apr 2023
fudish123 said:
After reading the first novel in its official translation (I've read a fan translation before), I'd give this arc a 5/10 (I'll be using both novels and new manga images to illustrate some parts):

- Contrary to popular belief, this is not that faithfully adapted. Let's begin with the beginning: the novel starts with the prologue being the scene of Azalie transformation, but it's way less gory in the anime. The book describes her organs and flesh falling on the floor, while tentacles and scales take place, and a lot of blood. It also took place in Azalie's bedroom rather than the big hall. Overall fathfulness: 8/10.

-The background lore explanation isn't in the first novel if my memory serves me right, I believe it's either from volume 2 or 4, but it was a good addition nonetheless.

- Then, 5 years later, we see Orphen chasing down the dwarves and Coggie meets him. This scene is actually from the Reckless series and replaced the novel part, both the old and new manga adapted this scene ok, with the recent manga being like almost 100% faithful to the source material, so if you don't wanna read a 191 page book, read both volumes 1 and 2 from the newer manga (although the mangaka is not good at drawing memorable scenes, but the story there is legit faithful). Anyways, in the novel, Volkan wakes up Orphen and he blasts the door with magic. Then the wedding con plan takes place as usual.

-The Azalie attack wasn't in the Everlasting armor/weaponry deposit but rather in the very same mansion Orphen was in, as depicted by the novel itself:

Anyway, the explosion happened, Orphen tried to get away blut Cleao begged for help, them he ran to the explosion source and the door was locked, so he chanted a spell to unlock it. In this part, the book explains the difference in between black and white sorceries, as well as to why sorcerers have to chant the spell with their voice. He opens the door and the scene is the one in the image above. Then Azalie began to scream and a fire spell was cast, Orphen cast the halo shield spell, Azalie left in the explosion effect. There were no sorcerers from the tower waiting outside, so that scene of Orphen beating 4-5 people didn't actually happen, although it was kinda cool to watch (but it could look even better with a better studio anyway). Overall faithfulness: 7/10

- What happens next? A flashback chapter depicting Orphen's past. The funeral part, actually. Then he wakes up at the prison cell and the argument in between the dwarf brothers takes place. The anime depicts this part later, but in episode 2, a part from the pre-arc is shown instead, to create a bond in between the viewer and minor characters like Heartia, Comicron and etc. Would have worked if the first season was solely focused on a mix in between pre-arc and volume 1, but 3-4 episodes for that is rushed as fuck. Anyway, here is the cut part, it's Cleao who bails Orphen out, not Heartia:

Anime:

New manga and novel: 

So, she bails him out due to her family receiving a death threat letter, so of course they asked for Orphen's help. 
“I think someone’s threatening to kill my whole family.”

“A valuable source has informed us that you are in possession of one artifact known as the Sword of Baldanders, and we will be coming to retrieve it. Your intentions for the sword are irrelevant. If you fail to hand it over to us for whatever reason, then we will take it by alternative measures if we must. Failure to comply with these demands may have disastrous results for you and your family. We will be coming to collect the sword on the following day"

Whoever watched the old anime remembers that Heartia is the Black Tiger, right? Well, he's no creation of J.C Staff! He was indeed in the first novel. At night, when they were all in the Everlasting property, this happens:

And boy, a helluva fight takes place, this would have looked awesome if animated by, I dunno, Pierrot, Mappa, IG, Wit, ufotable, you name it. Just read the chapter, I'm not spoiling this fight scene. So, it happens that Heartia was just a decoy, because Childman, dressed in a disguise was in the house to "kill" the girls, but he actually just put a "GPS" on the Baltanders Sword (the book spells it with a D instead of a T and is the most accurate word to the baldanders myth).

So they fight and his masks falls down, reveaving he's Childman, he backs Orphen away with his magic and they leave. THEN Orphen, in the next day, comes to see Heartia. But it still does cut stuff too. Black Tiger returns later while Cleo, Volkan and Dortin are waiting for Orphen in a pub (if you guys remember it, only sorcerers are allowed into the Tower of Fangs' branches). A good fight scene happens too, and to be honest, I quite liked the shield they added to Cleao in the new manga, while in the novel, she went straight to a two handed wielding sword:

Imma keep the comparison up to this point, cuz it's somewhat lenghty, as if someone would have any interest in this flopped anime, anyway, but it was fun, though, let me know if you guys want the full arc compared to the novel/new manga.

Respect all the referencing/images of source material. Cheers!
Aug 2, 2023 9:41 AM

Jan 2021
GooseHybrid said:
fudish123 said:
After reading the first novel in its official translation (I've read a fan translation before), I'd give this arc a 5/10 (I'll be using both novels and new manga images to illustrate some parts):

Anime:

New manga and novel: 

So they fight and his masks falls down, reveaving he's Childman, he backs Orphen away with his magic and they leave. THEN Orphen, in the next day, comes to see Heartia. But it still does cut stuff too. Black Tiger returns later while Cleo, Volkan and Dortin are waiting for Orphen in a pub (if you guys remember it, only sorcerers are allowed into the Tower of Fangs' branches). A good fight scene happens too, and to be honest, I quite liked the shield they added to Cleao in the new manga, while in the novel, she went straight to a two handed wielding sword:

Respect all the referencing/images of source material. Cheers!
Thx for the compliment! I really hope this novel series gets more love in the future but this anime stained it
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2020

44 by ZER0PT »»
Jun 12, 2023 6:19 AM

» Did they fuck up the remake?

RyuRabbit - Jan 21, 2021

4 by fudish123 »»
May 21, 2023 3:07 PM

» Why bad rate? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 8, 2020

94 by Scootboi »»
Jan 19, 2023 8:00 PM

» foster sister? mc going for revenge? let me guess

sondongpyo - Feb 27, 2022

1 by Diapolo10 »»
Feb 27, 2022 4:18 PM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

19 by Unkrowned »»
Jun 14, 2021 8:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.