Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
#1
Jan 19, 8:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
So, it seems like people who generally like good anime pretty consistently also enjoy Code Geass as well and praise its quality. I tried watching and it and could not get over the awful dialogue and cliche executions being shoved down my throat. Am i missing something? Or am i just a cynical dick?
 
#2
Jan 19, 8:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 843
Just beacuse a show dosen't mean everyone will love it.

Is not common that we are all different and got different taste ?

When it comes to the anime medium everyone is watching beacuse of different reasons.

I hate JoJo, I think it's something of the most awful thing in this ficition and it's still a pretty popular show.

I enjoy Code Geass beacuse of the world itself, it's not just robot vs robot fighting for 24 eps. We are following the view of the people Leouch change, drama, romance with more.
It's a show I thought was interesting and that's all i need to enjoy a anime.

And if anything it feels like a baitpost to start fighting the fans.
 
#3
Jan 19, 8:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4756
It has entertainment value because it's super fast paced. but story and characters are far from being well polished
 
#4
Jan 19, 8:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 258
I'm not a big fan either, I kept putting it on hold and took me ages to complete.

Seemed like it tried to cover too many genres of anime without being particularly good in any of them.
 
#5
Jan 19, 8:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
weiss said:
It has entertainment value because it's super fast paced. but story and characters are far from being well polished
yeah i can definitely feel that in the little that ive watched
 
#6
Jan 19, 8:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
Nillwas said:
Just beacuse a show dosen't mean everyone will love it.

Is not common that we are all different and got different taste ?

When it comes to the anime medium everyone is watching beacuse of different reasons.

I hate JoJo, I think it's something of the most awful thing in this ficition and it's still a pretty popular show.

I enjoy Code Geass beacuse of the world itself, it's not just robot vs robot fighting for 24 eps. We are following the view of the people Leouch change, drama, romance with more.
It's a show I thought was interesting and that's all i need to enjoy a anime.

And if anything it feels like a baitpost to start fighting the fans.
to respond to this, yes everyone obviously has different taste, that is fine, but certain shows reach a level of popularity where i question the consistency of how many people just absolutely love this show, and i can not see the reason
 
#7
Jan 19, 8:46 AM

Online
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 1792
Harem + Yaoi. You can't go wrong with that combination.

▲ ▲

«REVs»
«NP Games»
«Male/Female»
«Favorites (+Awards)»
"When We Let Evil Win, It Becomes Our Reality."
 
#8
Jan 19, 8:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4895
I watched Code Geass a few years ago, and I loved it back then. I've heard of some of the plot holes and inconsistencies.
Although I haven't heard any complaints about cliches and dialogue. I don't understand what the problem was there.

But here's the thing about Code Geass: now, the average anime viewer is kinda like me, in that they seldom notice plot holes and inconsistencies, unless they're incredibly obvious. Usually when the average anime viewer is watching anime, like me, they're not thinking too hard in that regard.

Code Geass is one of the most jack-of-all-trades anime, because it's designed to appeal to as many people as possible. There's:

-Giant robots
-A huge scale plot
-Lots of character drama
-High school
-A light hearted anime-ish colorful art style that awkwardly contrasts with the dark tone, but helps make sure the series doesn't feel too dark.
I live by the waifu, and die by the waifu

"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
#9
Jan 19, 8:52 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 154
It always struck me as an anime for 13 year olds to think they are watching something deep as I watched it

The dialogue is absolutely horrendous no doubt, but I do think apart from that, the concept and story was interesting. I guess I also ended up liking the characters and the show definitely made things feel like they had stakes throughout

Its a massively overrated show but not without its merits
 
Jan 19, 8:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 843
Shutos said:
Nillwas said:
Just beacuse a show dosen't mean everyone will love it.

Is not common that we are all different and got different taste ?

When it comes to the anime medium everyone is watching beacuse of different reasons.

I hate JoJo, I think it's something of the most awful thing in this ficition and it's still a pretty popular show.

I enjoy Code Geass beacuse of the world itself, it's not just robot vs robot fighting for 24 eps. We are following the view of the people Leouch change, drama, romance with more.
It's a show I thought was interesting and that's all i need to enjoy a anime.

And if anything it feels like a baitpost to start fighting the fans.
to respond to this, yes everyone obviously has different taste, that is fine, but certain shows reach a level of popularity where i question the consistency of how many people just absolutely love this show, and i can not see the reason


I feel the same way about some shows out there, I don't understand how people can love them as much as they do.

As I hate Jojo, it's something of the worse shit, still people take JoJo as it's second to Jesus.

The way I see it, is that we all got different taste, or people is forcing themself to like shit, to not be left out.
 
Jan 19, 8:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 507
I'm fucking tired of these "it's overrated" threads!
 
Jan 19, 8:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 388
Lelouch is the coolest anime protagonist.
 
Jan 19, 8:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
AkihitoZero5454 said:
I'm fucking tired of these "it's overrated" threads!
then dont respond brother, i started a thread that i wanted to ask a question on
 
Jan 19, 9:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
VKDOOM said:
It always struck me as an anime for 13 year olds to think they are watching something deep as I watched it

The dialogue is absolutely horrendous no doubt, but I do think apart from that, the concept and story was interesting. I guess I also ended up liking the characters and the show definitely made things feel like they had stakes throughout

Its a massively overrated show but not without its merits
yeah basically this, its just at a point of popularity where i question what merits even got it there
 
Jan 19, 9:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
ACasualViewer said:
Lelouch is the coolest anime protagonist.
how though? to me he seemed like a cliche god complex, god intelligence, god ability character who's execution was actually significantly worse and less consistent than other beloved or similar characters
 
Jan 19, 9:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
Nillwas said:
Shutos said:
to respond to this, yes everyone obviously has different taste, that is fine, but certain shows reach a level of popularity where i question the consistency of how many people just absolutely love this show, and i can not see the reason


I feel the same way about some shows out there, I don't understand how people can love them as much as they do.

As I hate Jojo, it's something of the worse shit, still people take JoJo as it's second to Jesus.

The way I see it, is that we all got different taste, or people is forcing themself to like shit, to not be left out.
yup i get that, was just wondering if someone out there had something genuinely insightful to say about it, as people's different perspectives have helped me to gain new opinions on shows
 
Jan 19, 9:05 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 2443
I totally feel the same, to be honest, i tried watching the first episode about three times, dropped it each time before trying to stick with it, during which i took huge breaks in the middle-end of the second season, almost putting it off indefinitely!

I finally finished it some time afterwards, but didn't really enjoy it....

It was ok, but i didn't like any of the characters which is a huge negative in my book, besides that, i don't even like mecha to begin with, so it was a struggle to finish it, i think i shouldn't have tried so hard if i wasn't even enjoying myself...


I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

 
Jan 19, 9:16 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 8
I don't know, I feel like people that don't like Code Geass and other popular anime probably have an extremely peak taste and have a negative mean score on MAL. Code Geass does most things right. It has an interesting plot and characters, god like animation, good world building and cool plot twists. Sure, it may have some cheesy dialogue here and there and the mechas are not for everyone but I feel like people that don't like Code Geass probably are very picky and one small thing is enough to throw them off of an anime that if they watched more than a handful of episodes they would enjoy it more
 
Jan 19, 9:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 16614
i suggest you watch some more mature anime in the vein of code geass such as Valvrave or Guilty Crown
 
Jan 19, 9:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 4443
I like it because it has hot waifus (we even get to see some naked boobs), cool robot fights and a protag who battles an evil empire and overcomes it. It's basic and they execute the elements well.
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro


Houseki no Kuni Club

My random anime ramblings blog on MAL
 
Jan 19, 9:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 782
yeah, cheesy dialogue, outdated trends (mecha, school, etc etc), plot hole (not really a plot hole, just something isnt really clear)

what make it really good that it is crafted to tell story of a character and event leading up to the ending of what make him the messiah of the world.

also it is not entirely about lelouch, some of the character has strong characterization and dynamic.

also it is one of the best detailed anime, you can feel every character emotion and feeling, it is not a cheap cash grab or seasonal project, it made with love to be a masterpiece.

if you watch anime for the plot, eye candy and fanservice, you not gonna amaze with this
but if you watch anime for the experience, emotion and atmosphere / tension, it is gonna be impressive.
Visit my profile or kono yaro!
 
Jan 19, 9:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 588
Because Code Geass is smart enough to be aware of its own silliness and not take itself more seriously than it should, which is why it's all presented in such an over-the-top theatrical manner, the series ends up becoming incredibly entertaining to watch because it doesn't hold back on that flamboyant aspect and even pokes fun at itself a lot of times. Also time the dynamic between Lelouch and Suzaku makes for a genuinely interesting morality play.
 
Jan 19, 9:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
-Ryu said:
Because Code Geass is smart enough to be aware of its own silliness and not take itself more seriously than it should, which is why it's all presented in such an over-the-top theatrical manner, the series ends up becoming incredibly entertaining to watch because it doesn't hold back on that flamboyant aspect and even pokes fun at itself a lot of times. Also time the dynamic between Lelouch and Suzaku makes for a genuinely interesting morality play.
huh interesting, maybe i should try going into it with this mindset
 
Jan 19, 9:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
Zerockman said:
I don't know, I feel like people that don't like Code Geass and other popular anime probably have an extremely peak taste and have a negative mean score on MAL. Code Geass does most things right. It has an interesting plot and characters, god like animation, good world building and cool plot twists. Sure, it may have some cheesy dialogue here and there and the mechas are not for everyone but I feel like people that don't like Code Geass probably are very picky and one small thing is enough to throw them off of an anime that if they watched more than a handful of episodes they would enjoy it more
cant say i argue too much here, but i would like to think that im not super elitist and that i can watch a wide range of stuff
 
Jan 19, 9:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
evoniee said:
yeah, cheesy dialogue, outdated trends (mecha, school, etc etc), plot hole (not really a plot hole, just something isnt really clear)

what make it really good that it is crafted to tell story of a character and event leading up to the ending of what make him the messiah of the world.

also it is not entirely about lelouch, some of the character has strong characterization and dynamic.

also it is one of the best detailed anime, you can feel every character emotion and feeling, it is not a cheap cash grab or seasonal project, it made with love to be a masterpiece.

if you watch anime for the plot, eye candy and fanservice, you not gonna amaze with this
but if you watch anime for the experience, emotion and atmosphere / tension, it is gonna be impressive.
i dont know if i agree with this, i dont watch anime at all for fan service, and i love anime with emotion and atmosphere such as Mushishi. but i dont see how watching an anime for the plot would make me not like code geass? that confuses me
 
Jan 19, 9:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 7101
Id say cynical dick is correct since you say generic like if thats critic and not simply a fact of almost every show basically but even if it wasn't it would just be a observation that doesn't speak of actual quality
 
Jan 19, 9:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
Deknijff said:
Id say cynical dick is correct since you say generic like if thats critic and not simply a fact of almost every show basically but even if it wasn't it would just be a observation that doesn't speak of actual quality
please point out where i said generic? i genuinely dont think ive described a single point that ive said about cg as 'generic'
 
Jan 19, 9:44 AM
Online
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 420
Because it's not as edgy as Evangelion and not as boring as Gurren Lagann
 
Jan 19, 9:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 7101
Shutos said:
Deknijff said:
Id say cynical dick is correct since you say generic like if thats critic and not simply a fact of almost every show basically but even if it wasn't it would just be a observation that doesn't speak of actual quality
please point out where i said generic? i genuinely don't think I've described a single point that I've said about cg as 'generic'
My bad my bad
Im so used to anime fans saying cliche/generic interchangeable so I typed the wrong word there instead of cliche
 
Jan 19, 9:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
Takuto_Shindou said:
Because it's not as edgy as Evangelion and not as boring as Gurren Lagann
i dont think evangelion is edgy at all, i think its one of the most accurate artistic pieces when it comes to representing anxiety and depression, and it does it with an interesting story that has been an impacting factor in future anime, i think gurren lagann is a great fantastical over the top story about overcoming grief that is very far from boring, so i think both have their merit. where as i dont see a single outstandingly redeeming quality about code geass. im open ears though
Modified by Shutos, Jan 19, 9:51 AM
 
Jan 19, 9:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
Deknijff said:
Shutos said:
please point out where i said generic? i genuinely don't think I've described a single point that I've said about cg as 'generic'
My bad my bad
Im so used to anime fans saying cliche/generic interchangeable so I typed the wrong word there instead of cliche
oh okay no problem, see the thing is i think generic and cliche are different, i dont think code geass is necessarily generic, i think its character dialogue, and the way it executes certain plot points are cliche or cheesy, while the concepts and backgrounds are all pretty unique, their execution isnt, in my opinion
 
Jan 19, 9:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 4127
You. Can’t. Finish. Both. Seasons. Of. SAO. And. Rate. Them. Higher. Than. Code. Geass. Unless. You. Have. Bad. Taste.
 
Jan 19, 9:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
BlakexEkalb said:
You. Can’t. Finish. Both. Seasons. Of. SAO. And. Rate. Them. Higher. Than. Code. Geass. Unless. You. Have. Bad. Taste.
BlakexEkalb said:
You. Can’t. Finish. Both. Seasons. Of. SAO. And. Rate. Them. Higher. Than. Code. Geass. Unless. You. Have. Bad. Taste.
lol fair point but i havent watched sao in years and my taste has changed quite a bit, but regardless, that doesnt change the fact that i finished it, and cant get through more than a few episodes of code geass. also im not judging anyone on their tastes if they like cg, but you go ahead and do you brother
 
Jan 19, 10:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
Riyomi said:
I'm sure some people could ask the exact same question about some of your favorites as well. Different strokes for different folks. It's that simple.
no not really that completely ignores what i am trying to discuss, which is code geass, as i am allowed to start conversations about any specific show id like. if you want to talk about a show from my favorites however then i am willing, and i promise that i can more than coherently state why and how i feel about any show you ask, whereas most people responding to this, have given me very open ended and non specific answers
 
Jan 19, 10:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3466
My guess is it happened to fall during a period where a lot of people were being exposed to anime on Adult Swim. Specifically around 2007 the timeblock aired another notably popular show Death Note and around 2/3rds of the way into that airing Code Geass started up and resonated with a lot of the same fanbase.
 
Jan 19, 10:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 495
It's because it was the culmination of everything popular at that time. You like land based Mecha battles that has a girl with Esper powers in a high school setting like Full Metal Panic? we got you. You like the drama of Death Note and having a character that has the power to make people do his bidding and have influence over events? We got you. You liked how Gundam Seed Destiny had different factions with different ideology's fighting each other? we got it right here. You also liked how it told the story through the perspectives of two protagonists that made you question who was morally in the right? look no further. Heard you liked Super Robots Anime, well guess what? We're gonna throw in a bunch of Super Robot Mecha and technology into the Second Season.Ya like busty Anime girls? Well we got those too. Anyway, my point is it just a mix of shows and ideas that were very popular at that time. If you watched it back then like myself and others you probably would have really enjoyed it cause it had elements of other shows you enjoyed or were currently watching at the time. It seems cheesy now because a lot of ideas and themes it used were not cliche yet and the kind of dialogue it had was the norm for a show back then.
 
Jan 19, 11:01 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 7
Crazy plot twists, perfect ending, one of the most interesting and morally ambiguous character/s in anime. You need more? :)
 
Jan 19, 11:15 AM

Online
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2733
- Cool fights
- Robots
- Lelouch😍 is one the best characters in all of anime
- Emotional Depth
- Interesting plot twists
- C.C.😍
- Excitement
- Awesome OST
Crazy In Love

愛は風のよう、あなたはそれを見ることはできませんが、それを感じることができます。
 
Jan 19, 12:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
Riyomi said:
Shutos said:
no not really that completely ignores what i am trying to discuss, which is code geass, as i am allowed to start conversations about any specific show id like. if you want to talk about a show from my favorites however then i am willing, and i promise that i can more than coherently state why and how i feel about any show you ask, whereas most people responding to this, have given me very open ended and non specific answers


So basically, you want to know what made Code Geass so popular, right? Fair enough, in that case just ignore my previous reply. But please realize that the way you worded the title and that you said "[...] could not get over the awful dialogue and cliche executions being shoved down my throat" made it seem like you just wanted to trigger the fans rather than to start an actual meaningful discussion about the anime.
yeah no i understand why some people would think thats how i felt, i was just trying to give examples of how i felt during watching
 
Jan 19, 12:41 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 351
Theres people that don´t like chocolate...
 
Jan 19, 12:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 829
Shutos said:
So, it seems like people who generally like good anime pretty consistently also enjoy Code Geass as well and praise its quality. I tried watching and it and could not get over the awful dialogue and cliche executions being shoved down my throat. Am i missing something? Or am i just a cynical dick?


Have you checked this page out, OP? Reading some of the reviews of people who left 8+ ratings could help you understand what people find appealing about the show.

But in the end everything comes down to personal preference, the things you dislike about it could be the things other people like about it.

 
Jan 19, 12:42 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 62

Mainly because anime is really fast-paced and Lelouch being an always-win edgy protagonist (which is hella cool to self-insert). It covers up their plot holes, some out of place humors and disurbing scenes. (but you can never get over that four eyes girl tho). And oh yes, there are also top-notch waifus and finally.. that masochistic ending.
 
Jan 19, 12:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
Kiyomice said:
Shutos said:
So, it seems like people who generally like good anime pretty consistently also enjoy Code Geass as well and praise its quality. I tried watching and it and could not get over the awful dialogue and cliche executions being shoved down my throat. Am i missing something? Or am i just a cynical dick?


Have you checked this page out, OP? Reading some of the reviews of people who left 8+ ratings could help you understand what people find appealing about the show.

But in the end everything comes down to personal preference, the things you dislike about it could be the things other people like about it.
definitely a possibly, just trying to widen my perspective
 
Jan 19, 12:45 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 1
Nick-Knight said:
Harem + Yaoi. You can't go wrong with that combination.


where??

anyway, couldnt really get into this show either. The way people praised it for being such an intellegint anime had me expecting much more than what i got for the 15 episodes i watched. Maybe it gets better later on? I'll probably try it again sometime.
 
Jan 19, 12:55 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 28
Your aren't alone. I tried to watch it too and I personally think that this anime is one of the most OVERRATED animes medium.
 
Jan 19, 12:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Q: Why do people like Code Geass?

A: It's mainstream.

Long answer: To clear up a common misconception, a given anime is not "mainstream" because many people like it. An anime is liked by many because it is mainstream. An anime being liked by a lot of people is just a side-effect of it being mainstream. So, it doesn't matter if an anime has been watched by a fifteen people or a million, it can still be mainstream.

In Code Geass' case, it has the mainstream appeal of having a bit of every genre in it. It is a conglomeration of so many different tropes that there virtually must be something for everyone. In my case, I wanted to know who Lelouch would pick as the winner of his harem. Other people may have unfortunately been interested in the "mechas." Etc.

That's the reason. To a lesser degree, the majority of the "top" shows on MAL are like this too. Especially the more modern ones. Setting aside recency bias, studios started realizing that the more tropes their show had, the more popular it would be. Just look at the Monogatari series.
Padre Pio is an underrated saint.
 
Jan 19, 1:04 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 37
Shutos said:
So, it seems like people who generally like good anime pretty consistently also enjoy Code Geass as well and praise its quality.

No one with a lick of taste could like Code Geass, it's an anime equivalent of Michael Bay films, it's just a show many have seen as 14 y. o. with <10 series watched so they keep their nostalgia goggles. Maybe you have the wrong idea about what is actually "good anime" in a first place.
 
Jan 19, 1:19 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 149
Not exactly a fan but I thought season 1 as fun in a really dumb way while season 2 was so dumb it was bad. Characters are really mediocre throughout the entire series, and animation wasn’t exactly amazing, but great character designs and breezy pacing made the show really easy to watch.
 
Jan 19, 1:28 PM

Online
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 640
First 12-15 episodes I was giving only a 7/10, and constantly thinking in drop the score to 6 because of the extreme fast pace and some cheesy episodes (like the pizza hut episode). The final episodes the show improved a lot. The stakes were higher, the arcs were converging to each other perfectly and tension was always there. Second Season, although I had some problems with some characters, it was far more consistent. The arc of Loulouch's dad was a bit weird in the end, but oh boy, the conclusion of the series was amazing. I can see why a person wouldn't enjoy the show, but from my perspective, it's amazing
 
Jan 19, 1:29 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 3094
"Why do people like Code Geass?"

It's a high school melodrama with a lot of absurd twists and edgy MCs.
Tons of deus ex machinas and diabolus ex machinas.
People adore such cheesy things.

I hate it with passion. There was a way way complex and better mecha from the same studio that aired around that time - Gundam 00...it was widely ignored because of "I don't like mecha because it's dumb but Code Geass is the exception and it's pretty decent."
Modified by alshu, Jan 19, 1:44 PM
 
Top
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »