Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 19, 2020 7:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, a warehouse. I mean, it's not something speical to brag about for a clubroom given how broken it looks.

I do like how the group is repairing and want to promote their club though. They need publicity after all. All three of our main characters brings more ideas from their heads together and tbh, it's pretty entertaining to watch.
Jan 19, 2020 9:45 AM
Nov 2018
Tsubame-chan: "I don't want to just do an animation. I wanna do an ANIMEation!!!!"

JC Staff: ???
Jan 19, 2020 11:16 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Very interesting and good episode again, I liked the tank xD
Jan 19, 2020 11:18 AM

Aug 2012
Awww, i wanted to know if the Machete Girl would win against the tank.
Jan 19, 2020 11:25 AM

Feb 2019
First part was really hilarious. Sayaka was the only one taking her job seriously. I like mizusaki's point about realistic animation but again sayaka's point is also valid considering most of the people who are new to anime love flashy stuff more.
Jan 19, 2020 11:33 AM
Jul 2018
Lovely lovely lovely. Yuasa proving it again that technical prowess != liveliness! His creative workflow is in the script!
Jan 19, 2020 11:37 AM

Mar 2016
The last half of this episode might be the first time I really felt engaged with what the show is trying to do. It's not just because it's a school girl fighting a tank with a machete (I guess that's part of it), but seeing the animation play out, dancing across their sketchbook as they talk about it had so much more impact on me than their random dream worlds where they fix stuff or whatever. I want more of that. Though with the stuff they've been coming up with throughout the series so far I'd say these girls have similar taste to me. All of the focus on mechanical stuff and gadgets is nice to see.

There does seem to be an odd sense of disconnect between scenes though, especially in the 'club' focused parts.

And the little 'behind the scenes look' was cool too. Animated documentary of animators animating? I'd watch a full episode of that.
Jan 19, 2020 11:48 AM

Feb 2017
I have no doubts they will manage to impress the committee, especially with Kanamori keeping them in check. Mizusaki with her realistic body movements would fit right into Production IG, while Asakusa with her tanks and spaceships would be welcome at Sunrise lol. Another fun episode.

That "behind the scenes" segment with animator swinging a sword reminded me of a story when Mitsuo Iso punched a hole in the wall in his room at IG while acting out the movements of EVAs while working on End of Evangelion
TsarkoJan 19, 2020 11:53 AM
Jan 19, 2020 12:11 PM

Nov 2016
Another excellent episode. All the insight into the world of animation along with the creative execution are just a joy to watch. Brutal cliffhanger, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 19, 2020 12:12 PM

Jan 2009
so they plan to do a 3 minute action anime and the plot is a tank vs a samurai girl not bad

Jan 19, 2020 12:22 PM
May 2019
That tank battle scene was awesome. Seeing their ideas evolve as they find "real world" limitations in their story. I really like seeing it go from low detail on their drawing paper and slowly get more and more in depth as the battle goes on. What better way to secure funding by dropping a 3 min episode on a review board and leaving it on a cliffhanger just like the episode did to the viewer. Make the ending and hold it for ransom, you want to see it then fund the club. It's what shows do to viewers every week any way.
Jan 19, 2020 12:25 PM

Aug 2013
Another good episode.

Asakusa and Mizusaki going wild with their imagination and Kanamori being the only one keeping them in check. I hope they succeed with their goals.

Jan 19, 2020 12:26 PM

Nov 2012
The show flows so well between imagination and reality. Beautiful, beautiful episode.
Jan 19, 2020 12:29 PM

Oct 2019
So wait is the whole "animators swing a sword while they work" actually true?
Jan 19, 2020 12:48 PM

Aug 2019
Omg this is so great, loving every minute of it.
Jan 19, 2020 1:03 PM

Jul 2019
Again an amazing episode. I can't get enough of this art style and the animation during the tank battle was just something else. Hopfeully, the girls can secure maximum budget to get more things done.

The teacher assisting them is incredibly unhelpful. I hope he becomes a little bit more meaningful in future episodes.
Jan 19, 2020 1:04 PM

May 2016
This show is so fun to watch.
Jan 19, 2020 1:17 PM

Aug 2013
Extremely fun show, but it makes me feel worse for animators to hear that they are pretty much like actors...because actors are actually paid accordingly for their work while animators are still underappreciated and underpaid. But thats just my cynical self.

The episodes actually show very subtly the understanding of the general anime community, even inserting small jabs like there are people that will be impressed by a story-devoid 3 minute short of amazing Sakuga. Also the characters in the show pretty much embody different ideologies about animation, which are also existent in our subculture and our fair but albeit limited understanding of the process of animation.

Shirobako was already 10/10 for me for being a loveletter to the anime industry, but Eizouken will probably reach a similar rating.
Jan 19, 2020 1:24 PM

Feb 2019
Another excellent episode, it's really cool to see the ins and outs of the anime industry explored like this. The art style is just so gorgeous too, really just shows all the hard work that goes into every little detail in the industry. Never seen a Ghibli film but from the bits and bobs I've seen on Twitter and the like, this really gives off vibes of that.

I would actually really love to watch that anime they were making lol gave off KlK and FLCL vibes.

I love how Kanamori is actually really the engine that drives the group. Creatives need someone who is business oriented who can keep them grounded in reality and on the right track. Just like how Mangaka have their publishers and managers to help.
Marinate1016Jan 19, 2020 1:30 PM
Jan 19, 2020 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
Such a lovely and fun show, my favorite TV series directed by Yuasa just from these 3 episodes. The ED is fire too;
Jan 19, 2020 1:46 PM

Aug 2013
Marinate1016 said:
Another excellent episode, it's really cool to see the ins and outs of the anime industry explored like this. The art style is just so gorgeous too, really just shows all the hard work that goes into every little detail in the industry. Never seen a Ghibli film but from the bits and bobs I've seen on Twitter and the like, this really gives off vibes of that.

I would actually really love to watch that anime they were making lol gave off KlK and FLCL vibes.

I love how Kanamori is actually really the engine that drives the group. Creatives need someone who is business oriented who can keep them grounded in reality and on the right track. Just like how Mangaka have their publishers and managers to help.

I am mostly sure that it was a Kill la Kill reference. Especially when they replaced the Katana with a Machete which just is a standin for "unconventional weapon choice".
Jan 19, 2020 1:52 PM

Jun 2015
Kanamori dropping the scroll of truth on who demands perfect animation on anime.
They're finally giving their first step into making their footage, even if their room is still a slum.
Asakusa and Mizusaki's behaviors remind me of ADHD.
Jan 19, 2020 1:59 PM

Mar 2016
KamisamaHatatan said:
I am mostly sure that it was a Kill la Kill reference. Especially when they replaced the Katana with a Machete which just is a standin for "unconventional weapon choice".

Weapon wielding school girls isn't some uncommon thing.
Jan 19, 2020 2:18 PM

Aug 2013
syncrogazer said:
KamisamaHatatan said:

Weapon wielding school girls isn't some uncommon thing.

Scissors are definitely classifyable as uncommon.
Jan 19, 2020 2:25 PM
Jun 2019
Ep was fun to watch and i find this to be the only anime i listen to the ending.
Jan 19, 2020 2:29 PM

Mar 2016
KamisamaHatatan said:
Scissors are definitely classifyable as uncommon.

And where were the scissors in this episode? A weaponized yo-yo is pretty uncommon too.

But I doubt it's a reference to anything outside of 'school girls will make everything better' logic. I mean, imagine the planning sessions for something like Project A-ko (where high school girls literally fight robot tanks in one scene) and everything is just an excuse to animate cool ideas. That's the feeling this episode was trying to get across, I believe. It's all very 80s, especially with the focus last episode on the camera and cels.
syncrogazerJan 19, 2020 3:35 PM
Jan 19, 2020 2:32 PM

Feb 2019
Kanamori dropping the hard truths on top of the creative minds left and right makes me feel a bit sad for the latter.

'I want to make something incredible for a 5 minute short'
'Girl, you crazy? You'd have to work for 50 days'
'Maybe drop that to 3 min...'
Jan 19, 2020 3:03 PM
Jun 2015
Another fantastic episode. If Shirobako was about how anime can get made, then Eizouken is definitely about why people want to make anime/animation from three different perspectives.

My one question though: Why were the desks blocking the door in the first place?
Jan 19, 2020 3:25 PM

Feb 2011
Great episode. Man I REALLY want the full version of that soundtrack they keep playing every episode. So addicting.
Jan 19, 2020 4:39 PM

Aug 2018
They really have an amazing imagination, I loved that episode !
Jan 19, 2020 4:44 PM

Oct 2008
These girls should learn STYLISH animation from PlatinumGames Inc. especially from game designer/director Hideki Kamiya who is behind Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, and another stylish action game from square enix/platinum games which is "NieR: Automata"!
5/5.

but a schoolgirl vs a dual barrelled main gun tank? NO WAY! that's EDGY already!

Jan 19, 2020 6:04 PM

Apr 2019
Am I the only person degenerate enough to have thought "Wow, and again not executed as a panty shot?!". There was a ladder, an idol grade beauty climbing it, there were several strong motion action scenes - none of the half a dozen cheap shots was defiled with fan service. Yuasa is serious about that it seems. In other news, the episode was as brilliant as the previous ones, this is definitely a classic in the making.

Jan 19, 2020 6:21 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

The visualization of fixing the holes in the roof with the spaceship visualization was pretty cool.

The second half of the episode was fantastic, I loved how they started of with the idea and eventually arrived at the animation they were going to make. Seeing the whole scene take form from the very beginning with the background to describing the character and eventually her actions and the actual context of the animation was just pure awesome.

Can't wait for more.
Jan 19, 2020 6:38 PM
Mar 2015
They did much better with the animation than fixing the roof
Jan 19, 2020 7:03 PM

Sep 2017
I love this so much. The characters are so fun and creative. I also love how passionate and goofy Mizusaki is despite being a rich kid (i.e. no typical stereotypes). Her "speech" about animation and making characters move is also so important and makes me love her character more.
Jan 19, 2020 7:56 PM
Jul 2018
inim said:
Am I the only person degenerate enough to have thought "Wow, and again not executed as a panty shot?!". There was a ladder, an idol grade beauty climbing it, there were several strong motion action scenes - none of the half a dozen cheap shots was defiled with fan service. Yuasa is serious about that it seems. In other news, the episode was as brilliant as the previous ones, this is definitely a classic in the making.

Yeah I was pretty surprised with that. I thought there might have been some fanservice like in Night is Short but apparently not. Was pretty refreshing.
Jan 19, 2020 8:36 PM
Aug 2018
Nobody is gonna mention the slipknot reference? I love slipknot and of course I loved that tiny reference.
Jan 19, 2020 10:40 PM
Aug 2019
syncrogazer said:
The last half of this episode might be the first time I really felt engaged with what the show is trying to do. It's not just because it's a school girl fighting a tank with a machete (I guess that's part of it), but seeing the animation play out, dancing across their sketchbook as they talk about it had so much more impact on me than their random dream worlds where they fix stuff or whatever. I want more of that. Though with the stuff they've been coming up with throughout the series so far I'd say these girls have similar taste to me. All of the focus on mechanical stuff and gadgets is nice to see.

There does seem to be an odd sense of disconnect between scenes though, especially in the 'club' focused parts.

And the little 'behind the scenes look' was cool too. Animated documentary of animators animating? I'd watch a full episode of that.

I actually agree with you 100%. The series has a very unique charm to it, but I haven't felt as engaged and immersed as this episode because of how dynamic and expressive everything felt.
Jan 19, 2020 11:22 PM
Jun 2019
I don´t think that it´s be funny, really is "sofly and optimistic" Is easy to wacht...

It's not my kind of show, but for animation enthusiasts, it must be delightful.
Jan 20, 2020 12:06 AM

Nov 2013
Damn this episode especially, makes me appreciate how much effort animators put in that gets taken for granted.

I’ve seen other shows about anime production like Shirobako, but this series does a lot better of a job with keeping the plot entertaining imo! How the story comes to life each episode and the brainstorming aspects are a real joy to watch!
Jan 20, 2020 1:13 AM

Oct 2016
Just amazing from start to finish.
Jan 20, 2020 2:24 AM
May 2013
Kanamori will grow up to be an excellent producer.
Jan 20, 2020 3:05 AM

Sep 2019
That title keeps making me imagine what could happen. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! sounds like the plot will deviate them into trying some high-level, crazy antics to just keep the club. Then again, you never know if this show is going to have a meta element where this series is just a project by them in several years time after becoming an actual animation company.

It just has me wondering, 'cause it's a Japanese setting, but damn, the tech looks certainly beyond our own.
Either way, you get me thinking like that, and you've certainly got my attention for the season, and it doesn't even matter if any of my guesses are duds.

Man, I gotta give it to Kanamori. She's a perfect project manager. Sure, she dropped the truth, but still, in the thought, she still thought about the people themselves... not too many people go for that route. It's more the pragmatic "you do this" and you do it. Still, as a half-assed writer, I'd appreciate someone like that to just shake you and yell "DO IT, PUNK!" I... gotta do that myself at one point.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Jan 20, 2020 3:12 AM

Oct 2019
Great episode, hopefully the machete schoolgirl project is done.

I like how Kanamori keep thinking realistic about the project and stuff. There is no doubt that she'll become a good producer
Jan 20, 2020 4:49 AM

Mar 2008
Cosmic_Penguin said:
Tsubame-chan: "I don't want to just do an animation. I wanna do an ANIMEation!!!!"

this has the opposite meaning of what she said. ch 5 of the manga reflects this, too: "what i want to make isn't an anime, it's animation."

StormShaun said:
That title keeps making me imagine what could happen. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! sounds like the plot will deviate them into trying some high-level, crazy antics to just keep the club.

It's just sort of a joke referencing that Mizusaki isn't allowed to join the anime club. But the "video society" (or however you decide to translate it)…? Hands off! No putting a stop to that!

I have no clue why they didn't translate "eizouken" in the official English title which still seems like a silly/weird decision to me.
Jan 20, 2020 5:45 AM

Aug 2017
Love love this! Look at the details it's so fun to watch! 🤗😁

Jan 20, 2020 6:07 AM

Mar 2008

lol nice­­­­­
Jan 20, 2020 9:01 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Another fun episode and I like how Kanamori is taking control as Production Manager.
Jan 20, 2020 11:34 AM
Oct 2017
Cosmic_Penguin said:

JC Staff: ???
I watched it in spanish subs and she said "I don't want to just do ANIME. I wanna do ANIMATION" I loved it.
Jan 20, 2020 11:36 AM
Oct 2017
I loved this 3rd episode. How we can get into their ideas and see how they animate it in real time is so awesome.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2020

144 by Perrin4869 »»
Yesterday, 12:57 AM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2020

76 by Kristiwazhere »»
Apr 11, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2020

100 by poguschampus »»
Apr 6, 5:42 PM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2020

92 by ibanezpunkotaku »»
Dec 25, 2023 1:03 PM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2020

263 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Dec 2, 2023 10:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.