Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that influence 'some' people in a bad way

New
Jan 18, 2020 9:58 PM
Apr 2016
As you know yourself, some people are very pliable, sometimes more than another. It's unfortunate that anime can influence people in a bad way, but I guess that applies to everything and not just anime. What anime/characters do you think are the most influential in a bad way to pliable people?

I've seen people take Johan Liebert's philosophy for themselves. While it's not necessarily as bad as the one I mention at the bottom, it's still a terribly dangerous philosophy to take for yourself or so I believe.

Almost all expectations & ideals built up from watching romance anime. Probably the most common one, but also usually taken by very young people.

And probably the most dangerous one: Mr. Hachiman from Oregairu! The ones that take his philosophy & ideology are usually the ones that misunderstand him, since he is a pretty misunderstood character from what I've seen.
Jan 18, 2020 11:14 PM

Feb 2019
I think shonen anime especially DBZ has influenced many kids in a bad way. Children actually believe the physics that those kind of series shows and in the process end up killing themselves.

I agree with hachiman part. That misunderstanding about him is caused mostly because how his existence is portrayed in a positive light and how someone like hayama's existence is portrayed in a negative one when it's always opposite in real life. I mean, you don't get any beauties in your harem if you are a self pitying loner.
Jan 18, 2020 11:21 PM

Dec 2019
Well Death Note has literally got people into prison- although that can also be said as an overreaction by the legal system. In context it clearly means taht theyre not going to do anything and just wait for it to happen. But rly, I don't know about this one.

Now, Voltez 5 is something that was rly popular here b4 I was even born. Apparently that got banned cos some kid tried to imitate the show with an actual knife or cutter- a sharp object I'm sure. Don't know the specifics though or if anyone actually died or got injured.
Jan 19, 2020 5:13 AM

Jun 2017
Both Code Geass and Death Note (mostly Code Geass) probably makes people think "The end does justify the means" but you know the end never does justify the means...
Jan 19, 2020 5:15 AM

Jul 2016
All of the self insert isekai anime that serve as a power fantasy for lonely hikikomori otaku gamers.
Jan 19, 2020 5:20 AM
May 2018
Monogatari and similar shows influence people to be pedophiles
oreimo and similar shows influence people to desire incest
JJBA imilar shows influence people to be gay
Jan 19, 2020 5:22 AM

Jan 2009
Death Note is sometimes a bad influence

10 Times Teens With Death Notes Scared the Hell out of Adults https://www.inverse.com/article/35589-10-places-death-note-incidents-real-life
Jan 19, 2020 5:55 AM
Aug 2018
cythraul said:
I think shonen anime especially DBZ has influenced many kids in a bad way. Children actually believe the physics that those kind of series shows and in the process end up killing themselves.
I doubt they believe it and it could actually be a driver to do musculation/physic training which is a good thing.
cythraul said:
how his existence is portrayed in a positive light and how someone like Hayama's existence is portrayed in a negative one.
But it is not the case. Hachiman is isolated and everyone thinks he is a loser in his class while Hayama's popular and the center of the class. It's just that we follow the story through Hachiman's head but nothing validates his way of living
cythraul said:
when it's always opposite in real life. I mean, you don't get any beauties in your harem if you are a self-pitying loner.
I completely agree it's delusional to think that behaving like Hachiman will get you friends and a lover. Watamote is more crude at showing this reality. Though, Hachiman is denouncing the lack of authenticity in people's relationships and actions especially in Youth (but ofc you can't expect others not act up a bit when you meet them for the first time) . It's just a reminder not to be too naive. At least that's how I see it
Jan 19, 2020 12:01 PM

Feb 2019
GodUsopp33 said:

I doubt they believe it and it could actually be a driver to do musculation/physic training which is a good thing.
Actually kids do believe in that stuff. I am taking about children here who are less than 11. There are actually kids in my neighborhood who injured them selves saying "Nothing happened to nobita when he fell off the roof".

But it is not the case. Hachiman is isolated and everyone thinks he is a loser in his class while Hayama's popular and the center of the class. It's just that we follow the story through Hachiman's head but nothing validates his way of living
You could say that author pov is basically hachiman's pov and rarely anyone thinks they are wrong. In fact, you could say that the whole series kinda portrays introverts in a positive light on how they are kind compared to normal people or how most of the normies are assholes or how cute girls fall for you if you are a quiet gentleman who acts like an anti hero.
Jan 19, 2020 12:06 PM

Mar 2018
deg said:
Death Note is sometimes a bad influence

10 Times Teens With Death Notes Scared the Hell out of Adults https://www.inverse.com/article/35589-10-places-death-note-incidents-real-life

Another reason why NL is superior to BE. What a bunch of fucking edgelords.
poop
Jan 19, 2020 12:13 PM

Jun 2016
Initial D makes people poor by introducing them to the JDM scene without realizing the import and tuning costs.

Esquirtit said:
Another reason why NL is superior to BE. What fucking edgelords.

BE isn't even a real country
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 19, 2020 12:28 PM
Oct 2012
JoJo makes people act retarded on the internet apparently
Jan 19, 2020 2:44 PM

Jul 2017
I mean hey, I can see shows like Citrus influence people into thinking the best way to make someone gay for you is to just molest them
Jan 19, 2020 2:48 PM

May 2018
I guess that yuri/yaoi anime make some people have a grossly distorted idea of LGBT relationships, that borderline on a fetish.
Jan 19, 2020 2:53 PM

Oct 2018
Jojo tumblr refugees made twitter a hell place with caring about what people are drawing (a recent incident which was disgusting) and skin color of a character, aot fans calling aot goat every month is embarrassing especially if you're on platform like twitter where most says no other manga can be goat like aot (I love aot btw) and one piece fans getting salty over kny success, these might be minor things but they bothers me lately and please don't call your author goda, that sounds so bad and worst part is people say that unironically.
Ri22rkJan 19, 2020 3:05 PM
Jan 19, 2020 5:03 PM

Oct 2017
I don't really agree that art can be responsible or influence acts like that directly. People who justify or empathize with a dangerous persons beliefs in the first place already likely believed in them to some degree. Anyone who doesn't have a healthy disconnect from fiction and reality is either a child or has a mental disorder.
BilboBaggins365Jan 19, 2020 5:07 PM
Jan 20, 2020 8:44 AM
Aug 2018
cythraul said:
Actually kids do believe in that stuff. I am talking about children here who are less than 11. There are actually kids in my neighborhood who injured themselves saying "Nothing happened to nobita when he fell off the roof".
Sure as a kid I was more adventurous but I could still sense danger. Anyway, my parents were not the kind to comfort me if I'd hurt myself so I guess I was more careful with fictions.
You could say that author pov is basically hachiman's pov and rarely anyone thinks they are wrong. In fact, you could say that the whole series kinda portrays introverts in a positive light on how they are kind compared to normal people or how most of the normies are assholes or how cute girls fall for you if you are a quiet gentleman who acts as an anti hero.
It's not that they are kinder, it's just that they do more introspection and that they are more self-aware/careful (it's up to them to be act kind or not). From my experience, the kind of behavior from "Normies" that was shown is not inexistent. But I get the vibes of popular=assholes from the anime. The difference is Sagami's an asshole and Hayama's not.
Also, I wonder what would have been the story if it was through Yukino's pov
Jan 20, 2020 8:53 AM

Nov 2008
TolkienFan365 said:
I don't really agree that art can be responsible or influence acts like that directly. People who justify or empathize with a dangerous persons beliefs in the first place already likely believed in them to some degree. Anyone who doesn't have a healthy disconnect from fiction and reality is either a child or has a mental disorder.

Man, I love your posts. xD

BUT YEAH. ALL OF THIS.

It's not the anime's fault; people can just be f*ckin' retarded. :/ Or insane. Like I just don't understand why a child would listen to what a story tells them over what their parents/teachers tell them...

People criticize Beauty and the Beast for "teaching little girls to put up with abusers". I'm like "Um, I saw that movie when I was seven and I turned out fine because I listened to my mom, thanks?" Lol

Jan 20, 2020 7:43 PM

Feb 2017
Isnt this the case with any type of fiction that is popular enough? Ppl think something they saw was cool and try to do that in real life sometimes with unpleasant results
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Jan 20, 2020 7:53 PM

Jul 2007
For those who bring up children: children shouldn't count in such a thread since they will be influenced by anything and it's up to their parents to make sure their spawns don't fall victim to natural selection.

We have likely heard the stories about the kid who died jumping off a roof because they saw Ash (as a ghost) fly in that episode of Pokemon, or the kid who somehow got buried alive in a sandbox trying to play Gaara from Naruto.

Pretty much anything could lead to an accident if the parent's aren't doing their one job.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 20, 2020 7:59 PM
Jul 2018
I can't help but theorize that the generic nice guy protagonist in harems reinforce the idea for incels that women suck because they don't fall for nice guys. Look: most people are nice. If they weren't, we wouldn't have a society. To form a romance, there needs to be more involved than just being nice. Like doing stuff together, having interactions, having common interests, chemistry.
Jan 20, 2020 7:59 PM

Oct 2019
Honestly, I can't really say stuff to this because I have never really seen people irl or online who are influenced from an anime to do something in a bad way.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jan 20, 2020 9:18 PM

Aug 2019
I can't really give you any examples, but with over 6 billion people out there, I'm sure there are plenty who have done some fairly stupid things after taking some sort of inspiration from a form of entertainment, not just anime.

These people were probably a few sandwiches short of a picnic to begin with though.

What I do find strange are the revisionists who like to comb over cartoons that were made decades ago like Snow White in order to look for things to get offended about. i.e The Prince that kisses Snow White without her consent when she's unconscious in order to help her, and now suddenly after 80 years, it needs to be re-made because it apparently promotes sexual assault.
Jan 21, 2020 9:50 AM

Mar 2015
ExodiaX said:
Jojo tumblr refugees made twitter a hell place with caring about what people are drawing (a recent incident which was disgusting) and skin color of a character

To be fair JoJo didn't make them that way, those people were already retarded before they discovered it. Antis are a mistake.
Jan 21, 2020 10:59 AM

Nov 2008
Mirai said:
Antis are a mistake.

Heh, I think I just found a new best friend in you. :D

Let's start an "Antis Suck Ass" Club.

Jan 21, 2020 12:00 PM

Oct 2018
@Mirai haha, now that you say It you're absolutely right.
Jan 21, 2020 12:15 PM

Jun 2019
It isn't really a matter of the anime, but the person. Those who were going to perform certain actions or behaviors were inclined to do so before they watched anything about it (whether murder, theft, assault, sexual assault or harassment, etc.). Those who are already interested in a thing will seek out material showcasing it. In many cases, this can actually serve as a form of therapy allowing them to experience it vicariously by proxy in the fictional world and dampening their need to do it in the real, physical world to directly affect other people. It's a bit like the "chicken or the egg" riddle. But in this case, the desire for the content gives rise to the content and not the other way around.

Also, I'm fed up with people insinuating or outright asserting this way of thinking more related to sexual stuff in media than violence. Violence is a daily staple in every crime, action, etc. story, but the amount of people saying it justifies murder or assault is way lower than when any type of sexual behavior is depicted that isn't two mainstream vanilla milquetoast heterosexuals of the same age in consensual missionary position. Everything else is treated a deviance that will corrupt and infect people's minds in the real world and that is a corrosive puritanical attitude.

The need for art which explores all dimensions of the human psyche and range of possibilities and behavior, not just majority-approved, state-sanctioned ones, is exactly because many people, even if just confined to their brain and true feelings, cannot be expected to live their lives constrained in such a dull and tiny, sanitized box.
WatchTillTandavaJan 21, 2020 12:20 PM
Jan 21, 2020 1:14 PM

Oct 2017
Chiibi said:
Mirai said:
Antis are a mistake.

Heh, I think I just found a new best friend in you. :D

Let's start an "Antis Suck Ass" Club.

The use of the phrase "antis" has started to see a rise on AniTwitter (the good parts of AniTwitter at least). It's nice to see it get used on here too. It's important that there is label for people that complain in a judgmental and vicious way about other people thinking, saying or doing things which break no laws and hurt no one. Disagreement and conversation is fine, but those people are toxic scum and shouldn't be tolerated. They are best example of the paradox of tolerance: To maximize tolerance we must not tolerate intolerant people.

Otaku culture has always been about tolerance. It's been a culture that embraced many LGBT themes way before western woke cancerculture. If a persons tolerance doesn't extend to lolis, furries, and whatever else, then they need to fuck off.

On-topic:
Nisemonogatari influenced me to begin masturbating to 2D girls. Though I'm still not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

... I didn't read OP, just the title, so I'm just assuming that's OT.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jan 21, 2020 1:41 PM

Jan 2020
Monster is not famous enough to influence people

Death note though, how many edgy kids who thought they were genius with a 200 IQ ended up in jail like a week after their crime
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Jan 21, 2020 5:19 PM

Oct 2008
I agree that anime and its characters can influence the watchers. I vehemently disagree that it can influence people in a bad way however. Every person no matter their age, gender or circumstances are able to think and possess an opinion. How much or in what way you are influenced is limited by your own self. Not by the information you come by, it is your choice if what you come across will influence you in a bad way or not. Not the information itself, but you have only yourself to thank or blame for how you were influenced by something.
SofiaBulgaJan 21, 2020 5:23 PM

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

41 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
2 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

37 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
6 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

45 by obicomeonboneme »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

40 by DigiCat »»
9 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

42 by LordNTR »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.