Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2020 9:17 AM

Oct 2019
Kimetsu no Yaiba got a lot of attention after the highly acclaimed episode 19 that aired 4 months ago and was even trending on Twitter for some time....But even now the popularity is still increasing especially in Japan. to put things in perspective Kimetsu no Yaiba (manga) has sold in 8 weeks more copies than it sold over all of 2019, according to Oricon. and the manga acquired 19 places of the top 20 weekly rankings on Amazon Japan.

So why KnY is doing so well in Japan right now and how it still keeps on going?

we had well executed shounens before so what makes KnY an exception?

Sources: [url=https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1217466311376351233[/url]
[url=https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1217952758223048704[/url]
Shoko664Jan 18, 2020 9:28 AM
Jan 18, 2020 9:20 AM

Jan 2009
err the manga is ongoing and they like what they are reading with the new chapters coming out?
Jan 18, 2020 9:21 AM

Oct 2013
I'm not sure why, granted I haven't watch much of this series. But I have to guess it simple tick all the right boxes and a lot of people are loving it. The anime really did its thing in advertising the manga.
Jan 18, 2020 9:23 AM

Dec 2017
Movie quality animation by ufotable for a popular battle shonen manga and Nezuku... sigh
Jan 18, 2020 1:50 PM

Aug 2019
i think it's mainly the art style. the character design, time period and just style itself is very japanese-esque (i dont really know how to explain it) so it'll attract more japanese fans than western who'll be more likely to pick up a copy of something like idk hunter x hunter.

also it's in shounen jump which says enough
Jan 18, 2020 1:54 PM

Jun 2016
Anything that has ufotable's involvement seems to be getting huge in japan. It's like they found the magic sauce that makes the japanese market their own.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 18, 2020 1:58 PM

Aug 2019
Battle-shounen. Decent story. Excellent animation and fight sequences. Easy on the eye.

Note that the manga is also not far from ending as well. From the latest chapter, it's most likely in its final arc which would help explain why it's still maintaining and increasing on it's currently popularity over in Japan.
Jan 18, 2020 2:06 PM
Oct 2012
Apparently, because Zenitsu was created and that saved the show.
I have no hope left for the japanese community.
Jan 18, 2020 2:19 PM

May 2019
fuckgendo said:
i think it's mainly the art style. the character design, time period and just style itself is very japanese-esque (i dont really know how to explain it) so it'll attract more japanese fans than western who'll be more likely to pick up a copy of something like idk hunter x hunter.

It had a good anime adaptation is what you're trying to say, there is plenty of manga from Shonen Jump and manga with Edo period setting and character designs that can't get a million yearly sales let alone 10 million in two months.

With the movie around the corner i see this breaking One Pieces 30 million yearly sales record and i'm sad to announce that it in fact will result in people using a Nezuko dabbing gif to flex on the One Piece peasants.
Jan 18, 2020 2:23 PM

Aug 2019
Kobayasan said:
fuckgendo said:

It had a good anime adaptation is what you're trying to say, there is plenty of manga from Shonen Jump and manga with Edo period setting and character designs that can't get a million yearly sales let alone 10 million in two months.

With the movie around the corner i see this breaking One Pieces 30 million yearly sales record and i'm sad to announce that it in fact will result in people using a Nezuko dabbing gif to flex on the One Piece peasants.

even before it got an anime adaptation it was pretty popular in japan (though barely touching the west)
Jan 18, 2020 2:27 PM
Apr 2016
xenosys said:
Decent story. Excellent animation and fight sequences.

None of it was a part of the animated series, for sure. It is a generic story with a lot of artistic freedom and lack of literary value, which serves one purpose - to appeal to the average viewer. It recycles a lot of generic tropes in its "genre" and encompasses most popular ones in itself. Boosted popularity is easily explained by the fact that there was an animated adaptation just now, which, combined with a lot of flashy effect by Ufotable, boosted its popularity world-wide. Not because it is a decent series, but because homo sapiens like coloured pictures and flashy flashy.
...the fact that the average Japanese Japanese animation viewer is a second-to-third rate social plankton who crave escape in all those power fantasies where the main hero never loses does not redeem it either.
Daniel_NaumovJan 18, 2020 3:11 PM
Re:formed
Jan 18, 2020 2:28 PM

May 2019
fuckgendo said:

even before it got an anime adaptation it was pretty popular in japan (though barely touching the west)
Not really, it went from not being close to top 10 in 2016, 2017 and 2018 to best selling in 2019 to beating its 2019 sales in 8 weeks.

Takuto_Shindou said:
Apparently, because Zenitsu was created and that saved the show.
I have no hope left for the japanese community.

Don't forget Inosuke, two brilliant comedy assets are what made this show what it is.
Jan 18, 2020 2:36 PM

Oct 2018
Honestly, if this keeps going, KnY might become one of the most successful manga of all time eventually.

It has already surpassed several very popular manga, dethroned OP after more than a decade, has broken several records already.

I also believe it might break the most sold copies in a year record, which is owned by OP with around 30M as I've heard.

I also believe no manga has ever got a boost like this because of an anime adaption. I have no source for this, that's just what I tank, correct me if I'm wrong.
-Aincrad-Jan 18, 2020 2:39 PM
Jan 18, 2020 2:42 PM

Oct 2013
Wharf said:
Because it's a good battle shonen anime with a likable cast of characters, crisp animation and excellent fight choreography. The villain is astounding powerful and the abilities/powers that the characters use make sense and are aesthetically pleasing. All in all, it's a fantastic series.

Its more than that, as there are many anime with all those qualities but are not popular.

-Aincrad- said:
Honestly, if this keeps going, KnY might become on of the most successful manga of all time eventually.

It has already surpassed several very popular manga, dethroned OP after more than a decade, has broken several records already.

I also believe it might break the most sold copies in a year record, which is owned by OP with around 30M as I've heard.

I also believe no manga has ever got a boost like this because of an anime adaption. I have no source for this, that's just what I tank, correct me if I'm wrong.

Calm down bud, let's not get ahead of our self here. Its doing great no doubt but it is far from coming even close to being the most successful manga of all time. It currently has sold over 25 million copies world wide and I'm sure it will be higher by the end of the year, but keep in mind the manga is probably ending this year, in comparison one piece is close to 400 million world wide, so its far, from being the most successful manga of all time.

Snk is the 2nd manga in the 21st century to surpass 100 million world wide, Bleach was 1st, so before Kimetsu can even think of making it to be the best of all time, it has many hurdles to pass, and it simple wont pass it because it doesn't have long legs to do that as it is ending probably this year.
Jan 18, 2020 2:45 PM

Oct 2018
keragamming said:
Wharf said:
Because it's a good battle shonen anime with a likable cast of characters, crisp animation and excellent fight choreography. The villain is astounding powerful and the abilities/powers that the characters use make sense and are aesthetically pleasing. All in all, it's a fantastic series.

Its more than that, as there are many anime with all those qualities but are not popular.

-Aincrad- said:
Honestly, if this keeps going, KnY might become on of the most successful manga of all time eventually.

Calm down bud, let's not get ahead of our self here. Its doing great no doubt but it is far from being the most successful anime of all time. It currently has sold over 25 million copies world wide and I'm sure it will be higher by the end of the year, but keep in mind the manga is probably ending this year, in comparison one piece is close to 400 million world wide, so its far, from being the most successful manga of all time.

Snk is the 2nd manga in the 21st century to surpass 100 million world wide, Bleach was 1st, so before Kimetsu can even think of making it to be the best of all time, it has many hurdles to pass, and it simple wont pass it because it doesn't have long legs to do that as it is ending probably this year.

I said eventually. Or maybe I'm dumb and that word doesn't even mean what I think it means?

I mean it can become one of the most successful manga by time/later. I obviously didn't mean this month, or this year. It needs some years, but who knows where it will be in 2022/2023, or 2025 for example.
Assuming it will remain as successful and popular as it is now. Its current success might just be temporary though.
-Aincrad-Jan 18, 2020 2:51 PM
Jan 18, 2020 2:58 PM

Dec 2015
It did everything people in Japan love: Basic shounen action. But this time, it was animated by Ufotable, which made everyone go nuts with the action. The show became a huge success so the manga also became this popular. Also, it didn't really sexualized woman, so it conquered the female audience as well (people really underestimate the importance of this audience)
Jan 18, 2020 3:01 PM

Oct 2013
-Aincrad- said:
keragamming said:

Calm down bud, let's not get ahead of our self here. Its doing great no doubt but it is far from being the most successful anime of all time. It currently has sold over 25 million copies world wide and I'm sure it will be higher by the end of the year, but keep in mind the manga is probably ending this year, in comparison one piece is close to 400 million world wide, so its far, from being the most successful manga of all time.

I said eventually. Or maybe I'm dumb and that word doesn't even mean what I think it means?

I mean it can become one of the most successful manga by time/later. I obviously didn't mean this month, or this year. It needs some years, but who knows where it will be in 2022/2023, or 2025 for example.

It depends what you mean by "one of the most successful manga by time/later." As you can say it is already a successful manga already.

The fact that it is ending very soon, seems to be this year meaning once everyone that is interested in the series catches up to it, then sales will decline as there wont be any new volumes to keep sales up and backlog sales only last for a period of time, normally 2 to 3 years and with each year the backlog sales gets lower, the sales are this high simple because the series just ended and persons are getting more into the series.

Also this can give you a better perspective in where Kimetsu currently is at. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga You can find kimetsu in the 20m to 29 million category, so it has a lot of work to do, to even get to 100 million, imo I don't think it will even make it to 50 million world wide at all imo.

Well, snk had only 11 volumes when it reach to 15 million back in 2013, compare to kimetsu that currently has I believe 17/18 volumes with 12 million copies last year.

I am well aware of the boost it currently has this year and that it is already at 12 million? So we will see if it can keep up this momentum and how much it can make by the end of year. I doubt it will reach 30 million like you said, maybe 20 million if it keeps up this momentum, but I will definitely be keeping a eye on it.

keragammingJan 18, 2020 3:07 PM
Jan 18, 2020 3:06 PM

Sep 2018
Popular anime -> people wanna know what happens next -> they buy the manga

It did everything a save mass appeal show needs, just with even more flashy fights.
Jan 18, 2020 3:09 PM

Aug 2019
Daniel_Naumov said:
xenosys said:
Decent story. Excellent animation and fight sequences.

None of it was a part of the animated series, for sure. It is a generic story with a lot of artistic freedom and lack of literary value, which serves one purpose - to appear to the average viewer.

Completely agree, it's entertainment that appeals to the lowest common denominator, and therefore has the best chance of capturing a wider range of readers/viewers.

It's akin to an Avengers movie at the cinema.
xenosysJan 18, 2020 3:25 PM
Jul 2018
I guess it's because of the action scenes, characters, character design, ufotable's incredible animation, and its emotional impact.

Oct 2013
Mullerio said:
Popular anime -> people wanna know what happens next -> they buy the manga

It did everything a save mass appeal show needs, just with even more flashy fights.

That is one of the main reason for a anime adaptation, it is use to advertise the manga. So you can't really correlate that with "popularity" as this happen even with the most obscure anime.

The question op is asking is why this reach such level of popularity in comparison to other series.
Jan 18, 2020 3:10 PM
Oct 2012
Erwin_Sasageyo said:
It did everything people in Japan love: Basic shounen action. But this time, it was animated by Ufotable, which made everyone go nuts with the action. The show became a huge success so the manga also became this popular. Also, it didn't really sexualized woman, so it conquered the female audience as well (people really underestimate the importance of this audience)
It didn't sexualize women and yet Nezuko is an useless shallow moe-blob whose only character trait is being "cUtE"
Not sure what is there for the female audience to look up for.
Jan 18, 2020 3:49 PM

Jan 2020
I wouldn't be surprised on how the series goes well and the manga is going on right now

Made by k3ti
Jan 18, 2020 6:37 PM

Dec 2015
Takuto_Shindou said:
Erwin_Sasageyo said:
It didn't sexualize women and yet Nezuko is an useless shallow moe-blob whose only character trait is being "cUtE"
Not sure what is there for the female audience to look up for.
I actually agree, but hey, it's Japan not me. Never really understand how the audience work there
Jan 18, 2020 7:57 PM

May 2009
Thread moved from Anime Discussion.
Jan 18, 2020 8:25 PM

Mar 2019
- Cool animation +many Fights
- Nezuko, Anime fans are known of admiring cute anime girls
- Historical Setting
- It's a shounen.
Jan 19, 2020 1:07 AM
Apr 2016
Wharf said:
Erwin_Sasageyo said:

I find that second point a little interesting. What about Mitsuri Kanroji, the "Love" Pillar? The literally portrayed heras some love-obsessed airhead who has a maniacal obsession with romance. I sort of see the point you're trying to make though and I do agree to an extent

Daniel_Naumov said:

None of it was a part of the animated series, for sure. It is a generic story with a lot of artistic freedom and lack of literary value, which serves one purpose - to appeal to the average viewer. It recycles a lot of generic tropes in its "genre" and encompasses most popular ones in itself. Boosted popularity is easily explained by the fact that there was an animated adaptation just now, which, combined with a lot of flashy effect by Ufotable, boosted its popularity world-wide. Not because it is a decent series, but because homo sapiens like coloured pictures and flashy flashy.
...the fact that the average Japanese Japanese animation viewer is a second-to-third rate social plankton who crave escape in all those power fantasies where the main hero never loses does not redeem it either.

It's funny. You're willing to criticize everything from the anime to the viewer yet you don't have a single thing in your animelist. You're willing to talk badly about other things but you don't want others to say anything about your favourites.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.

Want to back up your barking? My "favourites" are :
"TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN, Darling in the FranXX, Naruto&Boruto, Uchuu Senkan Yamato, Sidonia no Kishi, Re:Creators, Gintama, Inuyashiki, Nanatsu no Taizai, Gosick, Kiznaiver, Steins;Gate, Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou, Mahoutsukai no Yome, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka, Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis & Virgin Soul.

While trying to come up with an insult do not choke on your pretentiousness, please.
Jan 19, 2020 1:46 AM

May 2019
-Aincrad- said:
Attack on Titan got boosted up to 16 million sales in 2013 because of its anime adaptation which is bigger then KnYs 2019 sales but Kimetsu no Yaiba outselling its 2019 sales in 8 weeks is way bigger then what Attack on Titan did.
Jan 19, 2020 5:00 AM
Apr 2016
Kobayasan said:
-Aincrad- said:
Attack on Titan got boosted up to 16 million sales in 2013 because of its anime adaptation which is bigger then KnYs 2019 sales but Kimetsu no Yaiba outselling its 2019 sales in 8 weeks is way bigger then what Attack on Titan did.

Ultimately SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN appealed to way more people than Kimetsu no Yaiba did. Because for how imperfect people are, the mass can still discern an actual decent story when they see one.
Jan 19, 2020 5:32 AM

Sep 2014
All of you have no idea what you're talking about. KnY is popular in Japan because Tanjirou is the ultimate best onii-chan in the entire world history.
KryzakamiHrybamiJan 19, 2020 5:36 AM
Jan 19, 2020 5:55 AM

Dec 2018
My friend who lives in Japan was telling me how big KnY got. It was really popular when it was airing and gathered a lot of media coverage. Considering the anime left on a cliffhanger with no confirmed sequel apart from a movie it’s not that surprising a lot of people would go buy the manga.
Jan 19, 2020 9:08 AM

Oct 2013
Kobayasan said:
-Aincrad- said:

Keep in mind also that snk had only 11 volumes in 2013 compare to Kimetsu 17/18 volumes last year.

You have to keep that in mind when comparing them, because if snk had 17/18 volumes back in 2013, it probably would have sold over 25 million copies that year.

To really know if Kimetsu boost is bigger than snk, it will literally comes down to how much Kimetsu sales has boost when it comes to per volume sales. Snk peak at around 2.4 million per volumes in its prime in 2014, so if Kimetsu per volume sales can top that then you will know the winner.

But let's see where it will be by the end of this year if it can keep up this momentum or that most of the people have already caught up by now.
Jan 19, 2020 11:35 AM
Oct 2018
keragamming said:
Kobayasan said:

Keep in mind also that snk had only 11 volumes in 2013 compare to Kimetsu 17/18 volumes last year.

You have to keep that in mind when comparing them, because if snk had 17/18 volumes back in 2013, it probably would have sold over 25 million copies that year.

To really know if Kimetsu boost is bigger than snk, it will literally comes down to how much Kimetsu sales has boost when it comes to per volume sales. Snk peak at around 2.4 million per volumes in its prime in 2014, so if Kimetsu per volume sales can top that then you will know the winner.

But let's see where it will be by the end of this year if it can keep up this momentum or that most of the people have already caught up by now.

And snk being a monthly manga as compared to weekly release of kny favoured kny over snk.
Jan 19, 2020 1:07 PM

Oct 2013
25NOVember said:
keragamming said:

And snk being a monthly manga as compared to weekly release of kny favoured kny over snk.

That too as Kimetsu gets to release more volumes a year than snk.
Jan 20, 2020 3:52 AM

May 2015
because after the train arc it gets really good,and every arc is better than the previous one,the last arc is exceptional, since 2017 the manga is almost always first in jump rankings every week.
obviously nezuko increased the popularity at first,but there are much better females in the manga.
people really gets invested in the characters because they are all amazing,the characters development is fantastic and it has some of the best fights in any shonen.
plus the art is appealing to japan people.
and because tanjiro is the ultimate shonen mc ever.
Jan 20, 2020 8:31 PM

Jul 2014
I live in Japan and ever since #19 popped KnY was the only topic around our place, manga stores sold like crazy you can barely catch any KnY books on any manga stores to this day which is why I pre-order on amazon which I rarely do when it comes to manga. It was literally a peak talk with my co-workers as well even our boss knows of it and joins in on the talk, basically we all loved it, none of us were let down and decided to buy the buck loads of KnY related stuffs. Never had a phenomena like this in my 8 years of living here. We still talk about it to this day (mostly about the current arc in the manga)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2019

312 by CicadaRex »»
5 hours ago

» I don't get it

n0tSamir - Jul 7, 2023

34 by guts4ever »»
Apr 22, 12:44 PM

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

19 by Naveen6662246 »»
Apr 22, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

272 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 20, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2019

282 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 19, 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.