Forum Settings
Forums

Is there anything you'd add/subtract from the mandatory school curriculum?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Jan 16, 3:50 AM
operationvalkyri said:
deg said:

as usual governments are so slow to adapt or catch up to the fast pace progress of capitalism and technology so you will hear news of worsening "Skills Gap"

but i find this interesting on that wikipedia link "Five New Basics: English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Computer Science" like im fine if those are the only subjects left too and make the students focus on them more going forward since to me less is more especially that learning requires tons of rest like sleep too so no need for long hours of studies everyday like whats currently happening
Not sure if this shift will change the amount of time spent in school (hasn't done so yet) but it definitely affects the amount of time kids need to spend cramming facts into their heads. Curricula of old focused on making kids remember facts. Today information is readily available so the focus shouldn't be on memorizing ot but on other skills related to it (searching for information, determining credibility, analysing and putting together information into something meaningful). This way, assessments also don't ask for kids to repeat facts they learned but to perform deeper analyses on concepts.

ah ye i realized that good now old school is about memorizing while new school should be about analyzing like critical thinking since the internet exist already and its the biggest knowledge source or biggest library out there

social skills should be added though since a lot of people today interact more with their phones or computers rather than actual human beings lol

Jan 16, 3:53 AM

Yarub said:
Freshell said:
@Yarub
That's a very fair point and is more or less the counter-argument I had floating around in my mind put well into words.
Just to add. My view is pretty much philosophical if you get where I'm from. If you teach anything and everything elementary and advanced, what is the point of living? Live and act how your seniors subjected you to being in school? Achievement is personal. That is why I really oppose this sort of thought-invasion, if you could call it that. Teach people what to think and not how to, then you're dealt with a bunch of cyborgs.

I've taught all types of students. I have a style in which I do not answer a question directly. I try to lead the student in the general direction and let him off. Most students get aggravated because, ideally, they just want me to supply with answers; god forbid they are the ones that do so. The brightest students enjoy this sort of semi-teaching. I also mutually enjoy seeing their process of thought, rather it being all behind a curtain. There's one word you should use to determine the knowledge of a student: always as why, and then you'll see.

So yeah, general awareness is essential but never mandatory or even supplemental classes. People need to learn by themselves.

I do agree with your general points about how education shouldn't be all about infodumping but rather giving them intuitive ways to think about concepts and enabling them to reason out by themselves (why I love mathematical proofs so much). But precisely because of that I believe introducing the effective ways to utilise the intellectual tools at our disposal as a catalyst for one to cultivate analytical thinking themself is a good way to go about it.

Let my blood taint your dreams!
Let the Grail be cursed!
Let the wish it grants bring disaster!
And when you fall into the pits of hell...
Remember the rage of Diarmuid!

Jan 16, 4:11 AM

deg said:
operationvalkyri said:
Not sure if this shift will change the amount of time spent in school (hasn't done so yet) but it definitely affects the amount of time kids need to spend cramming facts into their heads. Curricula of old focused on making kids remember facts. Today information is readily available so the focus shouldn't be on memorizing ot but on other skills related to it (searching for information, determining credibility, analysing and putting together information into something meaningful). This way, assessments also don't ask for kids to repeat facts they learned but to perform deeper analyses on concepts.

ah ye i realized that good now old school is about memorizing while new school should be about analyzing like critical thinking since the internet exist already and its the biggest knowledge source or biggest library out there

social skills should be added though since a lot of people today interact more with their phones or computers rather than actual human beings lol
Agreed. Socio-emotional skills are a big part of the framework. Theres a lot of ways that schools are embedded them inti their systems including through collaborative project based learning or even simply through kids having meals together.

Jan 16, 6:16 AM

There are many types of school here

Regular Public school
Vocational School
Pesantren - Islamic Boarding School
Madrasah - Islamic School
Christian School

I don't know all of their curriculum, so I'll just talk about regular public school.

There are two types mandatort subjects taught in regular high school here
Type A
1. Religion and character- for religion, it's based on student's religion
2. Kewarganegaraan - Literally means citizenship, but not in actual definition. We learn about Pancasila (our nation's philosophy), Law in our country (only general level, not in detail), governmental system in our country, and what it means as a part of the citizen of the nation - our rights and obligations.
3. Mathematics
4. History of Indonesia - started from prehistory until recent time
5. Bahasa Indonesia - our national language
6. English
7. Information Technology - skills in word, excel, ppt, corel draw, photoshop. Some schools also teach video and or magazine editing.

Type B
1. Art and Culture - mostly about our national and regional culture so not every province has the same materials. Some school teach regional language, while others don't.
2. Handicraft - student is taught to make things creatively. It also often refers as 'entrepreneurship'
3. Physical education, sport and health

If you are in public high school, you must choose specialization
Your options
Math and Natural Science
1. Biology
2. Physics
3. Chemistry
If you choose this, you will also get specialization math class.

Social Science
1. Geography
2. Anthropology and Sociology
3. Economy
If you choose this, you will also get specialization history class .

Language
1. Arabic language and literature
2. Mandarin language and literature
If you choose this, you will also get specialization of Bahasa Indonesia and English literature.

There's also some materials school may teach you
1. Literacy media
2. Other foreigner language (Korean, Japanese, German, or French.
3. Applied tech
4. Cross interest

Is there I want to add? I don't think so ._.
Our students are already crying here because we learn too many things and often contradict with students interest because parents influence in specialization.
Subtract? No. They are all necessary.

I would prefer if the specialization classes to be merged instead. High school graduate here is not ready to work because you need at least bachelor education to work or else you work in a non-academic-necessary work. There's no reason why students who choose natural science learn about advance biology and physics. I would rather them merge as natural science and only taught generally without go into much detail.
Modified by An0nim, Jan 16, 6:31 AM

Jan 16, 8:57 AM

I think a lot of kids would be better off if they were taught some finance before it fucks them over in a few years (taxes, credit, loans, savings, investing, budgeting, accounting, etc.)

Jan 16, 1:21 PM

@operationvalkyri
Pretty interesting after taking a short glance, and it does seem to be an approach that moves in the direction I'd like to see. Thanks for sharing.
Of course, there's more to education than what's on the curriculum. We could spiral off into all sorts of topics, like how much students should actively participate during learning. But I figured narrowing it down to one issue would be better than just asking everyone what their general philosophy toward education is.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but it's probably going to involve frogs. I freakin' hate those things."
- Albert Einstein

Jan 16, 1:30 PM

Freshell said:
@operationvalkyri
Pretty interesting after taking a short glance, and it does seem to be an approach that moves in the direction I'd like to see. Thanks for sharing.
Of course, there's more to education than what's on the curriculum. We could spiral off into all sorts of topics, like how much students should actively participate during learning. But I figured narrowing it down to one issue would be better than just asking everyone what their general philosophy toward education is.
Np. Happy to share. If you're interested in gong deeper into the process of learning I suggest checking out how schools in Finland do it. They're considered the best in providing learning opportunities atm.

Jan 16, 1:57 PM

Honestly can't think of any. Talking about Finland here and personally I don't have hate boner towards mandatory Swedish and Finnish, since I think learning a new language for free that is of different language group makes understanding and learning other languages of said group easier (and with Swedish you basically get three languages for one). English might be only one I'd consider a waste of time, since majority hear, read and use English more and more in free time. That however is in planning right now to switch it with some other language in elementary school and in kindergarten there'd be English "classes" to support its use. But I value more language studies than lets say physics so I'm not really unbiased to talk.

I'd change some parts of education sure, but not remove/add any subjects.

Jan 17, 5:52 AM

Any general advice for how to deal with bills as an adult as well as insurance. Many people struggle with applications as well. Also, at least give some mandatory lessons for housework and cooking, cause it's become a voluntary subject and it pains me to see a 20 something yo that cant cook eggs. Its just sad. Whatever household you come from, its gonna be a huge shock when you have to live on your own.

Jan 17, 6:40 AM

how to live in the wilderness. basically a camping class with experience.

doesn’t make much money in the real world, nor is it “practical”.
sounds cool tho

Jan 17, 7:50 AM

I would remove the rule that states you can't plagiarize but I'm a university student now so what's the point?
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.

Jan 17, 10:42 AM

only thing i can really think of that should be added (and should be made compulsory) is some kind of financial literacy course as you get older, say 15+
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?

Jan 17, 11:02 AM

i'd say 80% of the shit on the curriculum (British for me) is useless and a big fatty waste of time. Why not scrap it all and replace it with actual life skills rather than random facts and knowledge in subjects that are pointless?

Jan 17, 12:22 PM

I'd replace religion with philosophy. We already did this on high school level, but me thinks it should be replaced for elementary school and middle school as well. If people want to indoctrinate their kids, they should at least do it on their free time and not make the rest of us suffer through it...
My condolences to KyoAni #PrayForKyoani

Jan 17, 2:42 PM

Remove chemistry and Biology. I would also make Spanish a mandatory start in Freshmen year or as early as 7th grade.

By Junior year you should be allowed to study what you want like trades, computer science etc.

I would probably replace chem, bio, calculus, algebra with computer science and business, or finance. They're much more important subjects and there's really no money in chem unless you want to go into pharma etc, or math for engineers.

Let the numbers people do numbers, computer people do computers, words do words.

More important to understand mortgages and how the job world works.

You should probably come out of high school with a hireable skill.

Edit: As regards religion, a class that taught the basics of bibles in Christianity, Hindu, Buddhism etc would be interesting so that people actually had religious literacy without just shouting at people about what they think is actually IN the bible. You could follow it up with a basic philosophy class. Religion is actually extremely important because people tend to project their feelings about what it means without ever having read it or trying to understand it. Oh, and of course some knowledge of Islam as well. Christianity, Buddhism and Islam. Maybe even a little bit of Shinto.

IMO you need basic religious literacy to even understand most philosophy since the God argument was pretty big until the middle of the 20th century if then.
Modified by DarkInsomnia57, Jan 17, 2:55 PM

Jan 17, 2:51 PM

I would add Young Earth Creationism and Intelligent Design.

I would remove everything else.

Edit:
Really though, reading the Bible and studying Greek philosophy should be absolutely mandatory in the western world. America owes its entire existence to the pillars of Jerusalem & Athens. Most of our cultural, historical & moral references are rooted in them. For America specifically, I'd also strongly encourage some familiarity with Ancient Rome considering the strong parallels.
Modified by Bayek, Jan 17, 3:04 PM

Jan 17, 4:01 PM

Add anime as a required course for all students to mould them into individuals of culture.
Subscribe to my Youtube: MariNate

Jan 17, 4:02 PM

Bayek said:

Edit:
Really though, reading the Bible and studying Greek philosophy should be absolutely mandatory in the western world. America owes its entire existence to the pillars of Jerusalem & Athens. Most of our cultural, historical & moral references are rooted in them. For America specifically, I'd also strongly encourage some familiarity with Ancient Rome considering the strong parallels.

is this a joke? Please be a joke. I'm a Christian myself but forcing people to read the Bible will have the exact opposite impact. It'll make people resent religious people even more.

"Go forth and spread the gospel, use words if necessary" We spread the Gospel through our actions, not forcing it on people.
Subscribe to my Youtube: MariNate

Jan 17, 4:52 PM

Add music. The fine arts in general are great but music is typically better and the results are more apparent. Also it's a team activity, it teaches cooperation even if only slightly

<--me rn

We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different, yet the same

Jan 17, 4:53 PM
In Canada, French is mandatory from 4th grade all the way to the ninth. It honestly does not bolsteryour job prospects at all (contrary to what many say) and it has near-negligible impact on your earnings or earnings potential. It's a colossal waste of time and resources that could be used to do practically anything besides the past participle conjugation of VENIR. I'm not saying this because I did badly in French or anything (during my time I got As) but because it's the truth.

Maybe even Phys-Ed/Gym.
100x125 pixels? hard to find

Jan 17, 6:00 PM
lol. i see so many posts about adding extra courses like budgeting and tax filing. most of the students will probably see it as a chore and not take it seriously

Jan 17, 6:47 PM

Marinate1016 said:
Bayek said:

Edit:

is this a joke? Please be a joke. I'm a Christian myself but forcing people to read the Bible will have the exact opposite impact. It'll make people resent religious people even more.

"Go forth and spread the gospel, use words if necessary" We spread the Gospel through our actions, not forcing it on people.
Well it's at least apparent that you haven't read the Bible when you're quoting a Catholic and not actual scripture.

The Bible is a fundamental part of understanding western history & culture. Christianity has shaped Europe since the Roman Empire adopted & paganized it. The Bible is perhaps the most ubiquitous source material for all manners of cultural icons and storytelling in the western world. Even some of your favorite anime owe their existence to it. And maybe asking people to read it cover to cover is too much (I certainly haven't). But at least acquainting people with major Biblical parables & stories is enriching purely from an academic standpoint.

Still, I wouldn't take this topic too seriously. Ultimately, anything that is mandatory that isn't reading, writing & arithmetic is essentially indoctrination anyway.

Jan 17, 7:01 PM

I'd subtract the word "Mandatory".
Our existence precedes our essence

Pages (2) « 1 [2]