Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 17, 2020 11:46 AM
Jun 2015
Maneki-Mew said:
Genres:
Different types of fantasy, either being high, dark or urban fantasy or a SOL mixed with fantasy like Natsume.
Tho my favorites are often quite dark.
I just love the settings and the imagination behind them and many characters in it.
Also I like different mythologies and love how they are included.
These are all too many to make a list here, but I could tell most of my favorites are fantasy.

In combination with this, I also like adventure very much, but also SOL adventure(drama) like SoraYori or in combination with something historical.
I like to see other places and when the characters meet new peope there.

Historical is great too, I like medieval ages, especially asians, because I have seen so much european medieval ages already, or maybe sometimes in a vuctorian or steampunk setting. I really like the aeathetics and some themes of steampunk.

Sometimes I also like SOL drama and romances (straight, lesbian and gay), but I got more picky with anime romances, because quite many I finished (rarely finished them in comparison tho), or tried, were quite naive.
Drama is always welcomed and there are just a few I didn't like so much at all.
Romance is... straight romances are imo often in the middle field with a few really good or really bad. BL / GL romances are either really great or utter trash with little inbetween lol

About demographics:
Funnily many of my favs are battle shounen, who often met my preferences more than others, because I liked many characters, I liked the stories and themes and the worlds and they are often mixed with adventure.
But I dropped Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball, One Piece and a few others.

Although I really like some seinen and josei too. Seinen is a mixed back, because you know, brutality doesn't equal maturity. The opposite is the case. But I especially loved some of the "calm" seinen or SOL seinen.
Josei is a mixed bag as well. Either it's very mature or sexualizing of guys and with a strange appeal I won't to hop on the train. Or they are weird adaptions from otome games.

Shoujo tho often were pretty naive or just too cute for me. I don't like most old shoujo styles at all, many newer ones are okay to good.
Most shoujo romances couldn't get me tho and the heroines are utter bores, who are too emotionally fragile to be enjoyable. I'm not interested in watching a teenager girl being overdramatic, which is ofc true for some, but I'm not interested in watching these romances in particular. They are the female equivalent to the generic male protagonist.

How I wish everyone would write such a detailed post as yours omg thanks I'll check some of your recommendations out
Jan 17, 2020 11:46 AM
Jun 2015
Maneki-Mew said:
Genres:
Different types of fantasy, either being high, dark or urban fantasy or a SOL mixed with fantasy like Natsume.
I just love the settings and the imagination behind them and many characters in it.
These are all too many to make a list here, but I could tell most of my favorites are fantasy.

In combination with this, I also like adventure very much, but also SOL adventure(drama) like SoraYori or in combination with something historical.

Historical is great too, I like medieval ages, especially asians, because I have seen so much european medieval ages already, or maybe sometimes in a vuctorian or steampunk setting. I really like the aeathetics and some themes of steampunk.

Sometimes I also like SOL drama and romances (straight, lesbian and gay), but I got more picky with anime romances, because quite many I finished (rarely finished them in comparison tho), or tried, were quite naive.
Romance is... straight romances are imo often in the middle field with a few really good or really bad. BL / GL romances are either really great or utter trash with little inbetween lol

About demographics:
Funnily many of my favs are battle shounen, who often met my preferences more than others, because I liked many characters, I liked the stories and themes and the worlds and they are often mixed with adventure.

Although I really like some seinen and josei too. Seinen is a mixed back, because you know, brutality doesn't equal maturity. The opposite is the case. But I especially loved some of the "calm" seinen or SOL seinen.
Josei is a mixed bag as well. Either it's very mature or sexualizing of guys and with a strange appeal I won't to hop on the train. Or they are weird adaptions from otome games.

Shoujo tho often were pretty naive or just too cute for me. I don't like most old shoujo styles at all, many newer ones are okay to good.
Most shoujo romances couldn't get me tho and the heroines are utter bores, who are too emotionally fragile to be enjoyable. I'm not interested in watching a teenager girl being overdramatic, which is ofc true for some, but I'm not interested in watching these romances in particular. They are the female equivalent to the generic male protagonist.

How I wish everyone would write such a detailed post as yours omg thanks I'll check some of your recommendations out
Jan 17, 2020 11:47 AM
Jun 2015
ysphyr said:
CGDCT, SoL and Historical. Also reverse harem - but I guess I only like it in theory, since 90% of anime in this genre are just plain bad(

Any reverse harem recommendations?
Jan 17, 2020 11:48 AM
Jun 2015
Meguchi said:
I'll go with slice of life, and since I'm also trash, yaoi for suure.

I like yaoi too but it's too bad there aren't so many good ones compared to how many good mangas there are. Any yaoi I absolutely have to watch though?
Jan 17, 2020 11:48 AM
Jun 2015
Apple2k said:
Psychological.
I've always been very interested in how several occurrences can affect the mind, how it damages and changes characters. If done right this can lead to some very emotional and disturbing writing.

Are there any good ones I should watch?
Jan 17, 2020 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
yungwolf said:
Maneki-Mew said:
Genres:

About demographics:

Thanks, sometimes I'm bored and sick at home and founding a new job that starts february. So I got too much free time atm. That's my secret lol Being NEET for a bit over three weeks.

yungwolf said:
ysphyr said:
CGDCT, SoL and Historical. Also reverse harem - but I guess I only like it in theory, since 90% of anime in this genre are just plain bad(

Akatsuki no Yona, if you could call it like that.

yungwolf said:
Meguchi said:

I like yaoi too but it's too bad there aren't so many good ones compared to how many good mangas there are. Any yaoi I absolutely have to watch though?

No. 6, Banana Fish, Mo Dao Zu Shi, Given, Owari no Seraph and Yuri on Ice.
First ine is clear, second one strongly hinted, third one is canon in the novels, fourth one is canon and others are hinted.
This year comes the movie for Umibe no Etranger. I really rec that manga and its sequel-series.
removed-userJan 17, 2020 12:02 PM
Jan 17, 2020 12:34 PM

Nov 2019
yungwolf said:
biswa290701 said:
Sci-fi and Fantasy. Recently the fantasy genre has been filled though, with crap isekais and I'm like 'why you gotta do my favourite genre dirty like this?' Lol

Do you have any good fantasy recommendations for me? I personally really like isekai but I can see that a lot of fantasy fans don't really see isekai as fantasy and more as its own genre.

Actually the Fantasy world is rather large and way beyond the realm of isekais.

-Attack on Titan
-Sword Art Online
-Fate franchise
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
-Danmachi
-Magi
-Blue Exorcist
-Hunter x Hunter
-Akame ga Kill
-Fairy Tail
-Soul Eater
-Seven Deadly Sins
-One Piece

Basically anything that is not related to the real world.
I can go on but the list will never end. Lol
Biswa_29Jan 17, 2020 12:51 PM
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 17, 2020 12:35 PM
Jul 2018
yungwolf said:
ysphyr said:

You've already watched my top picks:
Ouran High School Host Club
Kamisama Hajimemashita

You can also check Saiunkoku Monogatari - it has a great story and a strong female lead

The others I watched were... honestly not good. The only semi-decent ones (but don't expect much) I watched were:
Nil Admirari no Tenbin - it's ok, I guess? On the bright side - all guys are really hot (check the ED, you'll get it)
Meiji Tokyo Renka - the protagonist is at least not annoying and even cute at times. All guys look fine af and most of them show genuine interest in MC
Jan 17, 2020 12:44 PM

Dec 2019
Comedy, usually if the show doesn't have comedy in it, I won't watch it

I enjoy slice of life animes too
Jan 17, 2020 12:59 PM
Dec 2013
Slapstick comedies. Like Nichijou or Azumanga Daioh. I'm Norwegian and we adore that type of comedy. Pretty universal shit xD
Jan 17, 2020 1:15 PM
Jan 2020
Mystery, fantasy, adventure, slice of life, romance and a bit of yuri I'd say
Jan 17, 2020 5:18 PM

Apr 2016
yungwolf said:
Apple2k said:
Psychological.
I've always been very interested in how several occurrences can affect the mind, how it damages and changes characters. If done right this can lead to some very emotional and disturbing writing.

My personal favourites include:

Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
Haibane Renmei
Monster
Elfen Lied
Higurashi
Tatami Galaxy
Kino no Tabi
Aoi Bungaku Series
Ping Pong the Animation
Welcome to the N.H.K.
Mawaru Penguindrum

Forgot to mention to not watch in this order, watching Serial Experiments Lain as your first psychological is not a good idea lol. Easing your way into psychological shows would be a good idea. A good starting point would probably be Mawaru Penguindrum, Welcome to the N.H.K., and maybe Monster

Apple2kJan 17, 2020 5:26 PM
Jan 17, 2020 5:22 PM
Aug 2019
I'm a fan of historical anime and manga. I like the interpretation of certain historical facts and events that the author has. Also, it's fun to discover different historical eras
Jan 17, 2020 5:56 PM
Oct 2017
Yuri/shoujoai in priority
I also really appreciate the horrors / slice of life / military
Jan 17, 2020 6:19 PM

Oct 2010
If it counts as a genre, slice of life, and specifically the iyashikei subset.

Obvious remarks on how they are essentially pleasant shows that put you in an inviting mood aside, I think I may enjoy these kinds of shows the most because, in a way, they are counterintuitive. In a medium like animation that favors high color contrasts, stylized fantasies, quirky movements, choreographies and transitions and, in general, a lot of flashy stylization, these shows instead offer a quiet, mellow, uneventful experience. They don't care about exploring the aesthetic boundaries of the medium, but rather its often neglected ability to capture the mundane while remaining its own thing and without the need to be constantly proving its worth against other media.
Jan 17, 2020 6:22 PM
Jul 2018
Tragedy. Nothing better than having your heart ripped to shreds by a beautifully crafted life coming to an end. Fate/Zero, Zetsuen no Tempest and Fullmetal Alchemist rank high among my favorites for a reason.
Jan 19, 2020 3:45 AM
Jun 2015
biswa290701 said:
yungwolf said:

Do you have any good fantasy recommendations for me? I personally really like isekai but I can see that a lot of fantasy fans don't really see isekai as fantasy and more as its own genre.

Actually the Fantasy world is rather large and way beyond the realm of isekais.

-Attack on Titan
-Sword Art Online
-Fate franchise
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
-Danmachi
-Magi
-Blue Exorcist
-Hunter x Hunter
-Akame ga Kill
-Fairy Tail
-Soul Eater
-Seven Deadly Sins
-One Piece

Basically anything that is not related to the real world.
I can go on but the list will never end. Lol

Ahh I guess I somehow forgot how broad that genre is lmaooo but I've seen most of your recommendations and loved them so I guess fantasy might be one of my favorite genres too
Jan 19, 2020 3:48 AM
Jun 2015
ysphyr said:
yungwolf said:

You've already watched my top picks:
Ouran High School Host Club
Kamisama Hajimemashita

You can also check Saiunkoku Monogatari - it has a great story and a strong female lead

The others I watched were... honestly not good. The only semi-decent ones (but don't expect much) I watched were:
Nil Admirari no Tenbin - it's ok, I guess? On the bright side - all guys are really hot (check the ED, you'll get it)
Meiji Tokyo Renka - the protagonist is at least not annoying and even cute at times. All guys look fine af and most of them show genuine interest in MC

I read a bit of the Saiunkoku Monogatari manga and really liked it but the translation was awful so maybe I should watch the anime instead, thanks! I'll also check the others out. I can forgive a semi-decent plot if it's at least easy on the eyes lol
Jan 19, 2020 3:49 AM
Jun 2015
Apple2k said:
yungwolf said:

Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
Haibane Renmei
Monster
Elfen Lied
Higurashi
Tatami Galaxy
Kino no Tabi
Aoi Bungaku Series
Ping Pong the Animation
Welcome to the N.H.K.
Mawaru Penguindrum

Forgot to mention to not watch in this order, watching Serial Experiments Lain as your first psychological is not a good idea lol. Easing your way into psychological shows would be a good idea. A good starting point would probably be Mawaru Penguindrum, Welcome to the N.H.K., and maybe Monster

I've watched like 30-ish episodes of Monster and honestly loved it, but around that time i kinda took an anime/manga break and it felt hard going back in around episode 30, so maybe I'll rewatch those episodes - but great recommendations, thanks!
Jan 19, 2020 3:53 AM
Jun 2015
Maneki-Mew said:
yungwolf said:

Thanks, sometimes I'm bored and sick at home and founding a new job that starts february. So I got too much free time atm. That's my secret lol Being NEET for a bit over three weeks.

yungwolf said:

Akatsuki no Yona, if you could call it like that.

yungwolf said:

No. 6, Banana Fish, Mo Dao Zu Shi, Given, Owari no Seraph and Yuri on Ice.
First ine is clear, second one strongly hinted, third one is canon in the novels, fourth one is canon and others are hinted.
This year comes the movie for Umibe no Etranger. I really rec that manga and its sequel-series.

I've basically been a NEET for a little over a year now since my job doesn't really require me to actually be present so I totally get it lmaooo - but it's great I posted this topic cause now I have lots of shows to watch ^.^
Jan 19, 2020 3:56 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Game, Seinen and psychological (Harem ecchi sometimes too lol)
Jan 19, 2020 4:08 AM

Sep 2019
Slice of Life / Adventure. It'd be good if it's mixed together.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Jan 19, 2020 4:29 AM

Jan 2017
I like and enjoy all genres
But Drama is my favorite
Jan 19, 2020 4:41 AM
Jul 2018
It's hard choose between my favorite genre, but Comedy+Slice of life is my choice
Jan 19, 2020 4:44 AM

Apr 2016
yungwolf said:
Apple2k said:

Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
Haibane Renmei
Monster
Elfen Lied
Higurashi
Tatami Galaxy
Kino no Tabi
Aoi Bungaku Series
Ping Pong the Animation
Welcome to the N.H.K.
Mawaru Penguindrum

I've watched like 30-ish episodes of Monster and honestly loved it, but around that time i kinda took an anime/manga break and it felt hard going back in around episode 30, so maybe I'll rewatch those episodes - but great recommendations, thanks!

Yeah it's very much worth going through them again, it may be a slow burner but it's still super enjoyable!
Jan 19, 2020 4:52 AM
Jun 2019
Psychological anime that question what truly is good and evil or cute anime girls doing cute things
Jan 19, 2020 5:12 PM

Apr 2019
I watch too much slice of life/cgdct anime.
I watch anime to relax, so that's probably why I've gravitated so heavily to this genre.

大好き "I just want to be an ancient demigod loli"
Jan 19, 2020 5:18 PM

Nov 2017
Romance, Drama and Psychological which goes really well with mystery.
My Candies:
Jan 19, 2020 5:19 PM
Sep 2017
Mecha Sci-fi: things like LotGH, Code Geass, TTGL and Steins;gate are in my top 5
Jan 19, 2020 5:29 PM

Oct 2017
Historical I am a big history buff so I just like anything involving history or based on history. Closed second would be military I guess? I like war dramas like LOTGH, Kingdom or Tanya.
Jan 19, 2020 5:32 PM

Oct 2019
I'm a simple gal with a simple love for battle shounen.
Have you done your punches of gratitude today?
Jan 19, 2020 5:58 PM

Mar 2018
Drama, thriller, psychological and historical. Mix it up, and we're in for some great fun.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Jan 19, 2020 7:58 PM

Nov 2017
action, super power but no overpowered MC, military, comedy... not that big romance
Now Loading.....
Jan 19, 2020 8:10 PM

Sep 2017
action, fantasy, psychological, thriller, adventure

as for the second its comedy and romance
Jan 19, 2020 11:34 PM

Jan 2018
Psychological because it makes me think, and i also think that psychological anime have really good character designs.
Jan 20, 2020 1:19 AM
Oct 2019
yungwolf said:
Meguchi said:

I'd like to tell you "ten count", the thing is, the anime isn't available yet, but damn the manga is great, so if you got time, go check it out once it's on air!
Jan 20, 2020 1:23 AM

Dec 2018
I think mine would definitely have to be slice of life mixed with rom com. I know, very plain but that's just the kind I enjoy. Occasionally the shounen too as well as other genres, I don't hate any genre in particular. We need more animes like Grand Blue, absolutely love that.
Jan 20, 2020 1:50 AM

Feb 2016
Romance and slice of life. I'll take a good SoL over an action series anyway (Unless the action series is really good)
Jan 20, 2020 1:58 AM

Sep 2017
If delinquent shows and manga count as a genre then that. If not, action comedies or just straight comedy. It's really easy to make me laugh. I find humor in just about anything.
The Manga is always superior. And we all need to just learn to live with that fact.
Jan 20, 2020 2:01 AM

Feb 2015
I really like RomCom genre like Toradora.
Jan 20, 2020 2:26 AM

May 2018
Since Q1 2018, i can watch any genre and enjoying every single of genre except yaoi, so i don't know my favorite genre nowaday :(
Jan 20, 2020 3:12 AM

Apr 2015
Ecchi, comedy, parody, fantasy sci-fi.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jan 29, 2020 12:55 PM

Aug 2018
Psychological Thriller

I like me some Monster & Death Note. Usually shows that i really like are a combination of many genres like Gintama for example, but the thing that always stood out the most of shows is its Psychological Thriller aspects. Definitely my fav genre
Jan 29, 2020 3:56 PM
Jun 2015
Meguchi said:
yungwolf said:

I'd like to tell you "ten count", the thing is, the anime isn't available yet, but damn the manga is great, so if you got time, go check it out once it's on air!

I read the manga and loved it omg I've been waiting for such a long time for the anime
Jul 14, 2020 4:23 AM
Apr 2020
Mine would be preferable. So, my preferable genre is:

Comedy. Because I want to make myself have a good laugh (Preferable style of comedy is Deadpan)

Thriller. Because I want myself to make unlimited thought throughout my entire life.

Slice of Life. Because it's simple.

(I've said preferable because there is bad comedy, thriller and SoL, But in the entire genre, these 3 genre that I prefer makes me curious about watching it)
If you're happy and you know it clap your hands
Jul 14, 2020 4:36 AM

Aug 2018
According to Mal graph the one that has the best weighted mean is SOL but I don't think I have a favorite genre.
My favorite kinds of shows are the ones that defy genre by combining several different ones together.
Other than that I like individual genres equally for the most part and it only really matters how well they're executed.
Jul 14, 2020 8:16 AM

Feb 2020
I'd say physiological,thriller and mystery are def my favs,But I don't really have a problem watching any other genre as long as the show itself isn't cringy (especially in romance and comedy) I watch anything as long as it's good and worth watching regardless it's label I hate to stuck myself in one thing
I absolutely like drama and sci-fi as well but I'm into harem or ecchi tbh ain't my cup of tea
Jul 14, 2020 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
Action and adventure anime have typically been my favorite genres . I'm open to other genres as well, but I don't typically watch very many slice-of-life anime or comedies. But I do experiment with them sometimes. I'm not a fan of the horror genre either.
Jul 14, 2020 8:31 AM
Jul 2020
In anime, I like the fantasy, adventure and science fiction genres more. I think that specifically these three genres combine very well with anime, because they make you leave our reality and enter an imaginative world, consequently it suits very well with anime, unlike in cinema I like more realistic works, based on reality , and in cinema my favorite genres are drama, biography and suspense.
Nov 5, 2021 12:12 AM
May 2020
Drama, slice of life with or without CGDCT, mystery, Yuri and Yaoi and some adventurous shonen are good too 🙌
Someone_Someone_Nov 5, 2021 12:16 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

22 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

17 by Cyborgium »»
4 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 10 minutes ago

1 by SnipeStrike »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

61 by Zenhashi »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

195 by TitanOfPlasma »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.