Forum Settings
Forums

Unlikeable characters that you like? What makes an unlikeable character, likeable?

#1
Jan 13, 11:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4774
I was originally thinking of making 2 separate threads, as this is thread is technically 2 topics in one thread, but screw it, why not just get everyone's opinions in one thread?

1) Unlikeable characters that you like?

An unlikeable character I define, is a character who shouldn't be likeable, a character who, if you knew in real life, you'd probably hate. Yet, because they're fictional characters, you love them.
These are unlikeable characters I like:

Kazuma from Konosuba, and Gabriel from Gabriel Dropout: unapologetic assholes, who are just a joy to watch. Although Kazuma is certainly more likeable, in that he has somewhat of a moral code, cares about his friends, and most of his asshole tendencies tend to be reactionary.

Griffith from Berserk: everyone probably knows the big spoilers, but I still won't spoil anything. Let's just say, that what this guy does later on makes him the most irredeemable piece of shit. Yet, he's still just a fascinating character.

Askeladd from Vinland Saga: this character took the anime community by storm in that people fell in love with him. Askeladd spent years leading Vikings to pillage, kill, rape innocent people. He dishonorably killed Thorfinn's father in front of him when Thorfinn was just a child.
Yet he has this carefree, cool vibe to him. His backstory later on creates so much intrigue, and irony. It's not always clear what his mindset is. For example, even after reading the Vinland Saga manga, and watching the anime, I still can't figure out how he felt about Thorfinn: did he care for the boy? Felt kinda indifferent?

Izaya from Durarara!!: Griffith, Askeladd, can at least be sympathized, once you learn their motives, backstory, why they did what they did. But Izaya? Fuck this guy. There is nothing good about him. Yet...he's somehow so much fun to watch. When he gets the shit beaten out of him, it's so satisfying. It's like I love to hate this motherfucker, yet I love to love him, if that makes sense?

2) What makes an unlikeable character, likeable?

I think I've noticed a pattern, among anime fans, including me: unlikeable characters: that is, characters who are terrible people, but still seem to be beloved by the anime community, are loved because of one or more of these reasons. The character:

A) Is fun to watch because of their entertaining personality (Izaya, Gabriel, Kazuma)

B) Has a backstory, motive, that explains why they're the scumbag they are (Griffith). In this case, it's more of a matter of being invested in the character, rather than liking them, I believe.

C) They have some positive elements to them (Askeladd, Light, Lelouch). These are usually antiheroes, in other words.

What do you guys think?
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
#2
Jan 13, 11:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 558
I liked nidaime from uchouten kazoku because he beat the shit out of benten on multiple occasions despite the fact that he was an unlikeable arrogant asshole for most of the second season.
I really enjoy those "helicopter ride" memes
 
#3
Jan 13, 11:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 28481
1. Might contain spoilers obviously.
Donquixote Doflamingo
One of the antagonists of One Piece, has no qualms killing people if he gains something from it. I think I like him mostly because he's such a contrast to myself and I would like to have some of his "asshole" personality myself.

Kaiki Deishuu
A con-artist who tricks people. Not entirely unlikable in the later seasons, but definitely not one of the good guys. Mostly like the smart ways how he handles difficult situations.

Momonga
While being quite "good" at first, he gets more evil as the show progresses. I just enjoy watching an evil protagonist for a change, who doesn't try to whiteknight everything.

2. All of my choices fit A), B) and C) I think. So while your points are not really surprising, they certainly seem right.
 
#4
Jan 13, 11:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 969
Even though everyone seems to hate him I actually like Zenitsu from Demon Slayer.

You see, when all of the other characters have the personality of a wet piece of cardboard, silly guy that overreacts to everything seems like a god damn lovable character in comparison.

Yeah, I said it.
 
#5
Jan 13, 11:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 458
Gabi Braun. She's just a cute and innocent loli who did nothing wrong. Everyone needs to chill, take a step back, and realise how precious she is.
 
#6
Jan 13, 11:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1303
I'd say that characters who have moral code or the rules on which they live their life are more likeable as is the case with askeladd or lelouch. Sometimes character development kicks in which also make those characters likeable as is case with jashin chan. I used to love whenever yurine beat the crap out of her but she kinda grew on me as series progressed.
“The sound of the Gion Shoja temple bells echoes the impermanence of all things;
The color of the sala flowers reveals the truth that to flourish is to fall.
The proud do not endure, like a passing dream on a night in spring;
The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.”


 
#7
Jan 13, 11:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Hina, from Hinamatsuri. She's one of the worst kind of daughter you could ever imagine, yet she's fun as f*ck. Love her!

I'd say Fushimi too, from K. Don't really know why though... He's got his reasons, but still kinda of an asshole. Love him too :)
 
#8
Jan 13, 11:48 PM

Online
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 1291
Hisoka. He's sexy and unpredictable.
 
#9
Jan 13, 11:55 PM
Online
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 465
I don't think kazuma is unlikable. But, Kazuma, Zenitsu, Alexis Leskinen, Griffith
 
Jan 14, 12:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 1487
Kuroki Tomoko,yeah sure she maybe antisocial,and the fact that she constanly wishes harm on others is played for laughs,it's obvious that deep down she just needed a friend,which is what makes episode 11 all the more wholesome and sweet.
She also has her moments in the anime which make me really sympathize with her.Particularly the ramen scene

And the scene where she finds a childhood letter from her brother saying how much he loves her.

Ceasar Clown from one piece.Of course in series he is presented as an asshole since he
But damn he's hilarious to watch it's hard not to like him just based on that.And i also he is voiced by Frieza´s voice actor,another charismatic villain.
Modified by Missaliensan, Jan 14, 12:07 AM
 
Jan 15, 6:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1658
Bakugou Katsuki. I don't exactly like him much, its just more entertaining when he's on the screen instead of broccoli head.
 
Jan 15, 10:20 AM

Online
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 486
If I met Izaya Orihara IRL I would probably hate him. But as a character he is extremely interesting.
 
Jan 15, 10:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 7681
Aria H. Kanzaki. She acts spoiled and bratty...but her motives are SO pure...
I just want to hug the poor dear. >_<



 
Jan 15, 10:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 1317
I liked Major from Hellsing Ultimate. I like his character since his speeches are so outrageous they are funny. I was cheering for him somewhat due to how funny he was.
 
Jan 15, 10:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 1046
Tom. Jerry you are a fucking dick smh
 
Jan 15, 10:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 51
D8cbeidnd7dne said:
Tom. Jerry you are a fucking dick smh


Here's also one for Coyote. Fuck beep-beep. Pay your speeding tickets!
 
Jan 15, 2:52 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
These kinds of characters most of the time tend to fall into the following categories:

1) "Violent Tsundere": like Taiga Aisaka from Toradora or Erina Nakiri froi Shokugeki No Souma.

2) "Asocial Failure": like Tomoko Kuroki from Watamote or Tatsuhiro Satou from Welcome to the NHK.

3) And of course..., "The Beloved Anti Heroe/Villain": Like Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter or Light Yagami from Death Note.

Although, I'm starting to feel as if the modern world is hating more and more on Tsunderes (sad I know).
 
Jan 15, 2:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 1487
Reixaz said:
These kinds of characters most of the time tend to fall into the following categories:

1) "Violent Tsundere": like Taiga Aisaka from Toradora or Erina Nakiri froi Shokugeki No Souma.

2) "Asocial Failure": like Tomoko Kuroki from Watamote or Tatsuhiro Satou from Welcome to the NHK.

3) And of course..., "The Beloved Anti Heroe/Villain": Like Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter or Light Yagami from Death Note.

Although, I'm starting to feel as if the modern world is hating more and more on Tsunderes (sad I know).

That´s good.The modern world is starting to realize that using physical abuse to communicate your feelings is perhaps not the most effective way to get them across.God,I hate tsunderes so much.
 
Jan 15, 3:17 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
Missaliensan said:
Reixaz said:
These kinds of characters most of the time tend to fall into the following categories:

1) "Violent Tsundere": like Taiga Aisaka from Toradora or Erina Nakiri froi Shokugeki No Souma.

2) "Asocial Failure": like Tomoko Kuroki from Watamote or Tatsuhiro Satou from Welcome to the NHK.

3) And of course..., "The Beloved Anti Heroe/Villain": Like Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter or Light Yagami from Death Note.

Although, I'm starting to feel as if the modern world is hating more and more on Tsunderes (sad I know).

That´s good.The modern world is starting to realize that using physical abuse to communicate your feelings is perhaps not the most effective way to get them across.God,I hate tsunderes so much.


Any tsunderes you like?, male characters also count...
 
Jan 15, 3:28 PM

Online
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 314
Big Mom from One Piece. Yes she's a huge disgusting elephant and every "yo mama" jokes fit her very well but I've always found her character very interesting. She's not your typical evil villain, she actually has a reasonable goal and there's some kindness deep inside her (judging from her childhood but her eating disorder makes her a monster). Plus she's powerful af.
Everyone should read Tower of God.
 
Jan 15, 5:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4774
Reixaz said:

Although, I'm starting to feel as if the modern world is hating more and more on Tsunderes (sad I know).


I mean...I think the joke of a girl beating a guy for no justified reason wears thin after 100s of times. Especially when the joke's setup and punchline are literally always the exact same.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Jan 15, 5:49 PM
Whatever

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5766
Many of my favorite characters have some unlikeable sides to them, but also redeeming qualities and also they care, which is very important to me. If characters are completely self-centered without compassion, they are just plain boring edgelords.

RealTheAbsurdist said:

Kazuma from Konosuba, and Gabriel from Gabriel Dropout: unapologetic assholes, who are just a joy to watch. Although Kazuma is certainly more likeable, in that he has somewhat of a moral code, cares about his friends, and most of his asshole tendencies tend to be reactionary.

Btw I found Kazuma and the series utterly boring tbh. If that's assholeness than what isn't lol? That's one really basic guy and every guy I know would say similar stuff here and there. He really isn't more sassy or assholey than your average human being and that's just your average level of sarcasm or cynical thoughts almost everyone is capable of. Step up your game boy lol
Nah seriously, gave up on the series midway, found it boring.
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Jan 15, 5:59 PM
 
Jan 15, 5:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 3212
Niko, from Love Live, is definitely one of them.

The anime just wouldn't be the same without her.
She's the most eccentric member, by far, and possibly the most annoying as well. But her shenanigans really add to the dynamic of the entire group. She's indispensable.
1 hour = 10,000 yen.
2 hours = 20,000 yen.
3 hours = 3 loaves of French bread.
4 hours = 4 loaves of French bread.
 
Jan 15, 6:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4774
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Niko, from Love Live, is definitely one of them.

The anime just wouldn't be the same without her.
She's the most eccentric member, by far, and possibly the most annoying as well. But her shenanigans really add to the dynamic of the entire group. She's indispensable.


I mean...I can understand why someone would find Niko annoying, but not unlikeable. She's not a bad person by any stretch.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Jan 15, 6:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 3212
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Niko, from Love Live, is definitely one of them.

The anime just wouldn't be the same without her.
She's the most eccentric member, by far, and possibly the most annoying as well. But her shenanigans really add to the dynamic of the entire group. She's indispensable.


I mean...I can understand why someone would find Niko annoying, but not unlikeable. She's not a bad person by any stretch.


Didn't know that was a requirement, since you started off with Kazuma and Gabriel.
1 hour = 10,000 yen.
2 hours = 20,000 yen.
3 hours = 3 loaves of French bread.
4 hours = 4 loaves of French bread.
 
Jan 15, 6:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4774
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:


I mean...I can understand why someone would find Niko annoying, but not unlikeable. She's not a bad person by any stretch.


Didn't know that was a requirement, since you started off with Kazuma and Gabriel.


Gabriel tried to destroy humanity. She treats everyone like shit. Kazuma is a literal pervert.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Jan 15, 6:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 3212
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:


Didn't know that was a requirement, since you started off with Kazuma and Gabriel.


Gabriel tried to destroy humanity. She treats everyone like shit. Kazuma is a literal pervert.


Kazuma is as much of a good person as Niko is. I'd argue more so, given the situation he's in.
1 hour = 10,000 yen.
2 hours = 20,000 yen.
3 hours = 3 loaves of French bread.
4 hours = 4 loaves of French bread.
 
Jan 15, 6:10 PM
Whatever

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5766
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:


Didn't know that was a requirement, since you started off with Kazuma and Gabriel.


Gabriel tried to destroy humanity. She treats everyone like shit. Kazuma is a literal pervert.

Yeah and the one stuff he does is annoying or immature like that panty-scene and other stuff he says like "I felt your boobs, when I was leaning on you" (or something) is something many people would say here and there.
I saw so much praise for him for also having funnier and more sarcastic thoughts and saying funnier stuff than your average dude. That might be true for the endless stream of the other soulless harem characters, but all in all he's pretty basic in my eyes imo.

RealTheAbsurdist said:

Askeladd from Vinland Saga: this character took the anime community by storm in that people fell in love with him. Askeladd spent years leading Vikings to pillage, kill, rape innocent people. He dishonorably killed Thorfinn's father in front of him when Thorfinn was just a child.
Yet he has this carefree, cool vibe to him. His backstory later on creates so much intrigue, and irony. It's not always clear what his mindset is. For example, even after reading the Vinland Saga manga, and watching the anime, I still can't figure out how he felt about Thorfinn: did he care for the boy? Felt kinda indifferent?

I haven't seen Vinland Saga yet but you lost me at rape. There are some acts that make a character completely irredeemable.
Although these could be interesting characters on their own, but interesting and likeable are two very different pairs of shoes.
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Jan 15, 6:20 PM
 
Jan 15, 6:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4774
Maneki-Mew said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:


Gabriel tried to destroy humanity. She treats everyone like shit. Kazuma is a literal pervert.

Yeah and the one stuff he does is annoying or immature and other stuff he says like "I felt your boobs, when I was leaning on you" (or something) is something many people would say here and there.
I saw so much praise for him for also having funnier and more sarcastic thoughts and saying funnier stuff than your average dude. That might be true for the endless stream of the other soulless harem characters, but all in all he's pretty basic in my eyes imo.

RealTheAbsurdist said:

Askeladd from Vinland Saga: this character took the anime community by storm in that people fell in love with him. Askeladd spent years leading Vikings to pillage, kill, rape innocent people. He dishonorably killed Thorfinn's father in front of him when Thorfinn was just a child.
Yet he has this carefree, cool vibe to him. His backstory later on creates so much intrigue, and irony. It's not always clear what his mindset is. For example, even after reading the Vinland Saga manga, and watching the anime, I still can't figure out how he felt about Thorfinn: did he care for the boy? Felt kinda indifferent?

I haven't seen Vinland Saga yet but you lost me at rape. There are some acts that make a character completely irredeemable.
Although these could be interesting characters on their own, but interesting and likeable are two very different pairs of shoes.


I think there's a misunderstanding. I made this thread asking people which characters they like, despite these characters being unlikable, ie terrible people.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Jan 15, 6:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 3774
Why is Kazuma even considered an unlikeable character in the first place? Even your own definition of "a character who shouldn't be likeable, a character who, if you knew in real life, you'd probably hate." barely applies to Kazuma


but my pick is Minko Tsurugi from Hanasaku Iroha. Why she's hated is pretty obvious, but all she wanted to do was get senpai to notice her and reciprocate her feelings. It's a shame they didn't get a proper conclusion though
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'


 
Jan 15, 6:29 PM
Whatever

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5766
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Yeah and the one stuff he does is annoying or immature and other stuff he says like "I felt your boobs, when I was leaning on you" (or something) is something many people would say here and there.
I saw so much praise for him for also having funnier and more sarcastic thoughts and saying funnier stuff than your average dude. That might be true for the endless stream of the other soulless harem characters, but all in all he's pretty basic in my eyes imo.


I haven't seen Vinland Saga yet but you lost me at rape. There are some acts that make a character completely irredeemable.
Although these could be interesting characters on their own, but interesting and likeable are two very different pairs of shoes.


I think there's a misunderstanding. I made this thread asking people which characters they like, despite these characters being unlikable, ie terrible people.

There is no misunderstanding, don't worry.^^" I don't know you could misunderstand that sentence either. I just wondered what makes Kazuma a terrible person and I quoted the other guy to state where the line is where someone couldn't become likable to me anymore.
I think it's more useful to name character traits than every character since I never or rarely liked characters that were terrible people. I think 95 % of them are actually quite accostable all in all. Most of them I actually would like to meet in real life.
Closest come Homura maybe or Asuka or very few others, but I wouldn't say that they are utterly terrible people either and they are understandable. They are just not the best person but also not bad people, well.
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Jan 15, 6:34 PM
 
Jan 15, 6:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4774
@Short_Circut
@Maneki-Mew

I remember Kazuma being extremely confrontational. Sure, he normally doesn't initiate conflict, but he's quick to respond to it. People in general are at least polite, especially in Japan. But Kazuma, I don't remember ever being polite. If he feels even lightly irritated by someone, he automatically acts like a dick. Especially when he told Aqua once that if he could trade her for a power, he would, causing her to cry, which he didn't feel any remorse for. Sure, the average person is confrontational here and there, but not to the level that Kazuma is.

@Maneki-Mew

No normal person in real life waves around a girl's panties, directly tells them, "I felt your boobs." Even the weird people I've met in real life, haven't done anything nearly as weird as those things.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Jan 15, 7:42 PM
Whatever

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5766
RealTheAbsurdist said:
@Short_Circut
@Maneki-Mew

I remember Kazuma being extremely confrontational. Sure, he normally doesn't initiate conflict, but he's quick to respond to it. People in general are at least polite, especially in Japan. But Kazuma, I don't remember ever being polite. If he feels even lightly irritated by someone, he automatically acts like a dick. Especially when he told Aqua once that if he could trade her for a power, he would, causing her to cry, which he didn't feel any remorse for. Sure, the average person is confrontational here and there, but not to the level that Kazuma is.

@Maneki-Mew

No normal person in real life waves around a girl's panties, directly tells them, "I felt your boobs." Even the weird people I've met in real life, haven't done anything nearly as weird as those things.

Wait what... that? That's a completely harmless joke.
Saying as a joke "I would trade you for power" is something I would have easily said and others as well. Wasn't Aqua that one that cried over many stuff?
You know we had in middle school that girl, who said "I'm so tired, I could die" and my friend replied "at least, then I don't have to listen to this whining every morning anymore" and laughed, but she ran away crying. For like an hour. Some people just don't understand humor or this kind of humor.
To me it's still a very basic and normal level he is on. Maybe just not for Japanese.

I also heard more often "could you place your dress, you know, not like that, when you lay in the grass. Not that I want to complain ... you could stay like that in the hug, I won't complain." Or something. In a normal tone.
That scene with stealing panties was just your typical anime cringe scene tho.
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Jan 15, 7:46 PM
 
Jan 15, 8:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4774
Maneki-Mew said:

Wait what... that? That's a completely harmless joke.
Saying as a joke "I would trade you for power" is something I would have easily said and others as well. Wasn't Aqua that one that cried over many stuff?
You know we had in middle school that girl, who said "I'm so tired, I could die" and my friend replied "at least, then I don't have to listen to this whining every morning anymore" and laughed, but she ran away crying. For like an hour. Some people just don't understand humor or this kind of humor.
To me it's still a very basic and normal level he is on. Maybe just not for Japanese.


That...is not normal. It's perfectly okay to make jokes...but not at the expense of others to a point where they're literally crying. If your friend made that joke, and the girl legitimately cried and ran...and you laughed...that is no longer joking; that is bullying.

Maneki-Mew said:
I also heard more often "could you place your dress, you know, not like that, when you lay in the grass. Not that I want to complain ... you could stay like that in the hug, I won't complain." Or something. In a normal tone.


You...don't hang out with normal people, do you? There's a saying: “Show me who your friends are, and I’ll tell you who you are." What I'm getting at from this conversation is that you are someone who makes extremely inappropriate statements, bully people under the pretense of, "Well, it was a joke, they didn't get it, lol!"

I...no longer wanted to associate with you. And just to clarify: this has nothing to do with anime anymore: it has to do with what you've revealed of your personality throughout this conversation. You are not a good person. And I don't want to associate with people who are not, at the very least, a good person.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Jan 16, 2:54 AM
Whatever

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5766
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Wait what... that? That's a completely harmless joke.
Saying as a joke "I would trade you for power" is something I would have easily said and others as well. Wasn't Aqua that one that cried over many stuff?
You know we had in middle school that girl, who said "I'm so tired, I could die" and my friend replied "at least, then I don't have to listen to this whining every morning anymore" and laughed, but she ran away crying. For like an hour. Some people just don't understand humor or this kind of humor.
To me it's still a very basic and normal level he is on. Maybe just not for Japanese.


That...is not normal. It's perfectly okay to make jokes...but not at the expense of others to a point where they're literally crying. If your friend made that joke, and the girl legitimately cried and ran...and you laughed...that is no longer joking; that is bullying.

Maneki-Mew said:
I also heard more often "could you place your dress, you know, not like that, when you lay in the grass. Not that I want to complain ... you could stay like that in the hug, I won't complain." Or something. In a normal tone.


You...don't hang out with normal people, do you? There's a saying: “Show me who your friends are, and I’ll tell you who you are." What I'm getting at from this conversation is that you are someone who makes extremely inappropriate statements, bully people under the pretense of, "Well, it was a joke, they didn't get it, lol!"

I...no longer wanted to associate with you. And just to clarify: this has nothing to do with anime anymore: it has to do with what you've revealed of your personality throughout this conversation. You are not a good person. And I don't want to associate with people who are not, at the very least, a good person.

Which kids in middle school aren't able to assess so well beforehand and especially kids and teens overreact to stuff sometimes / some quite a lot and days later, they act like nothing happened.
Also you know, bullying is a systematic and spiteful way of bringing people down over a longer time, not a dumb joke, they don't care anymore about days later and talking normally to them later.

Okay then? What? I know you have a weird view on some stuff, maybe you are misinterpreting that.
Anyway, what I originally wanted to say was that Kazuma was rather annoying to me than an actual bad person, like you could see in the head of the creators thinking "let's make the one isekai harem protagonist more sassy and perverted, then he's different from the others." Which is fine, but I won't hate him in real life, just would think that guy annoys me a bit.
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Jan 17, 5:49 AM
 
Jan 17, 5:50 AM
Whatever

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5766
@RealTheAbsurdist I really want to explain that now since it would be quite sad if you think that. I meant, it's not really Kazuma's fault when a goddess overreacts the same way to a simple joke like some 13 yo kid would and Aqua always cried over literally nothing.
Maybe I should finish that anime some time since it had some good moments imo.
Still... it's really not completely his fault in this matter.
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Jan 17, 8:57 AM
 
Jan 17, 5:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 1487
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Niko, from Love Live, is definitely one of them.

The anime just wouldn't be the same without her.
She's the most eccentric member, by far, and possibly the most annoying as well. But her shenanigans really add to the dynamic of the entire group. She's indispensable.

I have tried to watch Love live and Nico was the only girl i was even remotely interested in.All of the other girls are bland af.
 
Jan 17, 8:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4774
Missaliensan said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Niko, from Love Live, is definitely one of them.

The anime just wouldn't be the same without her.
She's the most eccentric member, by far, and possibly the most annoying as well. But her shenanigans really add to the dynamic of the entire group. She's indispensable.

I have tried to watch Love live and Nico was the only girl i was even remotely interested in.All of the other girls are bland af.


I thought all the girls had clearly defined personalities?:

Honoka: passionate but kinda lazy.
Umi: the worrywart big sister type.
Maki: kinda shy and cold.

The list goes on.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Jan 17, 8:25 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 51948
Quinella from Sword Art Online her motto in life is who cares about gods as long as she exerts her control to the world as much as possible and that strikes me that she got a lot of free will or willpower which is nice to have but damn is that a tyrant or dictator kind of mindset if done in real life which she is a dictator in the anime anyway

Askeladd from Vinland Saga too his ideals of necessary evil like the end justify the means (ex. he killed all the innocent villagers so that his men cannot starve to death) is needed on times of disorder or chaos

 
Jan 17, 8:49 AM

Online
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 923
Suishou Hakamada From Granbelm

She is not a nice girl. She goes around and bully the other girls!! She can be very cruel and I forbid my waifus to behave like that!! They cant!! But she gave me 10 seconds of pure delicious lesbian magic!!! She sucked the lolis tongue!!,,YEEEES!! It was my favourite moment in anime 2019 and one of the best lesbian kisses ever!! She may be crazy and very unlikable character because of her behaviour!! But she is MY crazy girl! And gave me what I want the most and miss the most in anime!!! For that she will always have my love!! And I will continue to praise her name!!






Modified by Yuri-Crusader, Jan 17, 9:17 AM
Only Homophobes gets angry over gay ships!!
 
Jan 17, 9:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 1487
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Missaliensan said:

I have tried to watch Love live and Nico was the only girl i was even remotely interested in.All of the other girls are bland af.


I thought all the girls had clearly defined personalities?:

Honoka: passionate but kinda lazy.
Umi: the worrywart big sister type.
Maki: kinda shy and cold.

The list goes on.

I know they have personalities,but there is something about the saccharine way other characters acted which bothered me.Nico was a nice introduction to balance that out,with her crude personality which contrasted the happy go lucky way the other characters acted.
 
Jan 17, 9:45 AM
Whatever

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5766
Missaliensan said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Niko, from Love Live, is definitely one of them.

The anime just wouldn't be the same without her.
She's the most eccentric member, by far, and possibly the most annoying as well. But her shenanigans really add to the dynamic of the entire group. She's indispensable.

I have tried to watch Love live and Nico was the only girl i was even remotely interested in.All of the other girls are bland af.

Yeah Eri(?) and the blue haired one were quite cute, but they are still bland. Niko might be interesting in comparison but annoying, so I dunno.

Missaliensan said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:


I thought all the girls had clearly defined personalities?:

Honoka: passionate but kinda lazy.
Umi: the worrywart big sister type.
Maki: kinda shy and cold.

The list goes on.

I know they have personalities,but there is something about the saccharine way other characters acted which bothered me.Nico was a nice introduction to balance that out,with her crude personality which contrasted the happy go lucky way the other characters acted.

Well two or just a few traits don't make a personality imo, these are a collection of a few traits.

deg said:

Askeladd from Vinland Saga too his ideals of necessary evil like the end justify the means (ex. he killed all the innocent villagers so that his men cannot starve to death) is needed on times of disorder or chaos

But op spoke of rape and pillaging too and I don't see that. Sounds like an excuse, but I'll see when I watch it.

About a few characters I love and hate:
Asuka from NGE: she's narcisstic, she's kind of abusive and much more, but she's all in all just an ill kid, needs in best case scenario badly a very good therapist and longs to get love somewhere and is in reality even more insecure than Shinji.

Nora from Noragami: Similar reasons, I'm just sorry for her. She never changes and is a puppet of father, so she tries to manipulate Yato to stay with her. She's just another one of those kids that want love and don't know how and what it even is.

Cheng from Mo Dao Zu Shi: I see where he is coming from, but he got that aggressive attitude from his mother and is driven by revenge, he could become cruel and is way too hard to Ling.

Guren from Owari no Seraph: I'm pretty sure I would think he's unlikeable otherwise and wooah boy, look what have you done! But it's not all of it his fault alone and even if he's scheming and using a 16 yo boy, who would do anything to feel useful, since he's really not healthy either, I still could see where that ass is coming from.

Hm... towards most others I don't feel so indifferent. I have quite a lot tolerance for colder and more cynical characters etc if I see enough good qualities like caring about others and don't having the morals of a psychopath, until I start to hate them.
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Jan 17, 10:48 AM
 
Jan 17, 9:49 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 51948
Maneki-Mew said:

deg said:

Askeladd from Vinland Saga too his ideals of necessary evil like the end justify the means (ex. he killed all the innocent villagers so that his men cannot starve to death) is needed on times of disorder or chaos

But op spoke of rape and pillaging too and I don't see that. Sounds like an excuse, but I'll see when I watch it.


ye the Vikings are all about pillaging and raping women when they defeat their target town although Askeladd himself does not do all of that since he hates the Vikings actually lol but its better if you watch on why he hates those Vikings that he is leading
 
Jan 17, 10:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 535
Sasuke from Naruto. Many people tend to hate him for what he did. But whenever I think of what he went through, it becomes more and more hard for me to hate him. When I started Naruto, I always had this liking for Sasuke as my younger self considered him cool. But as we went on with the story, I sympathized with him the most. I believe that he suffered an even crueler fate than Naruto.

And after the completion of the story, he turned to be my favourite character of Naruto and all of anime. When he turned good, I was the happiest.

Many people question it but it's just that I like him and I can't help it.
SAO Progressive needs an anime. It is the real SAO not the rushed original.
 
Jan 17, 10:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 208
Perhaps anything that goes being strong is likeable
 
Jan 17, 10:18 AM
Whatever

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5766
deg said:
Maneki-Mew said:


But op spoke of rape and pillaging too and I don't see that. Sounds like an excuse, but I'll see when I watch it.

ye the Vikings are all about pillaging and raping women when they defeat their target town although Askeladd himself does not do all of that since he hates the Vikings actually lol but its better if you watch on why he hates those Vikings that he is leading

Yeah I know, anyway I can't bring myself to like such antagonists most times, but I find them often interesting, if he's like you guys describe him.
 
Jan 17, 10:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 354
Shinka Nibutani is the most intolerant anime character that doesn't resort to violence to express her whiny tendencies, yet is one of the very few characters that has actual logic in Chuunibyou, if not the only one. In fact, that's why I'm really in love with her. And that's despite the fact that she's a closeted lesbian.
"What a Player, what a Champion here at Wimbledon, the first man to win 8 Championships."
Andrew Castle on Roger Federer winning his 19th Grand Slam title.
 
Jan 17, 10:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 7681
@Maneki-Mew Guren did a bad bad thing. Naughty boi.

BUT THE WHOLE FANBASE LOVES HIM. xD I think it's impossible to not like him.



 
Jan 17, 10:49 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 51948
Maneki-Mew said:
deg said:

ye the Vikings are all about pillaging and raping women when they defeat their target town although Askeladd himself does not do all of that since he hates the Vikings actually lol but its better if you watch on why he hates those Vikings that he is leading

Yeah I know, anyway I can't bring myself to like such antagonists most times, but I find them often interesting, if he's like you guys describe him.


ye understandable most of humanity is about contradictions anyway lol the battle for right vs wrong or reason vs emotion is never ending on our brains so we just have to differentiate between reality and fiction as they say
 
Jan 17, 3:59 PM
Whatever

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5766
Chiibi said:
@Maneki-Mew Guren did a bad bad thing. Naughty boi.

BUT THE WHOLE FANBASE LOVES HIM. xD I think it's impossible to not like him.

Yes, even if you don't like him, he's too interesting to hate him lol
I wished they started the anime adaptation with the Guren novels or at least make one. x.x
 
Top