Forum Settings
Forums
Jan 13, 7:39 AM
No anime films received nominations in the Animated Feature Film category. The nominees in the category are How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, I Lost My Body, Klaus, Missing Link, and Toy Story 4.

Ayumu Watanabe and Studio 4°C's Children of the Sea; Kitaro Kousaka, DLE, and Madhouse's Okko's Inn; Hiroyuki Imaishi and Trigger's Promare; and Makoto Shinkai and CoMix Wave Films' Weathering With You were all submitted for the award.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2020-01-13/no-anime-films-receive-nominations-for-92nd-oscars/.155301

welp anime is still not mainstream enough i guess, i thought Weathering With You will make it

Jan 13, 8:00 AM

And that's good. Hollywood and West all together should stay away from anime. Also why do you read that site? They hate anime.

Mod Edit: removed bait-y phrasing
Modified by Fleeting_Dream, Jan 13, 12:38 PM
俺の好きな番号は二六七八二九だ。

Jan 13, 8:09 AM

deg said:
welp anime is still not mainstream enough i guess

It's for the better. No more live-action Anime.

Jan 13, 8:16 AM
shirakawa_megumi said:
Also why do you read that site? They hate anime.

you mean their reviewers that are called SJWs? lol i do not care much about those reviews and podcasts since i only read news and interview articles from ANN and they are reliable enough for news and interviews

Mod Edit: edited quoted post to match earlier changes
Modified by Fleeting_Dream, Jan 13, 12:39 PM

Jan 13, 12:24 PM

I am perfectly fine with Hollywood and the rest of mainstream western media ignoring eastern animation. We don't need any more plebs ironically wearing ahegao hoodies or an even greater number of JDM bois putting hentai stickers on their Hondas when they can't even say what their favorite Lilith game is......
Modified by DiscoDespot, Jan 14, 8:32 AM

Jan 13, 12:26 PM

Maybe if they wanted to be nominated, they shouldn't have been fucking terrible lmao

Jan 13, 12:44 PM

Wow I lost my body is French so that means that French animation could in the future become more popular than anime.

Jan 13, 1:10 PM

Is this surprising? These awards are mostly a hollywood things, so unless you have friends there or your work heavily references Hollywood, you have no chance to win.

Fate/HF was amazing and AFAIK it ran in theatres and therefore should have been eligible, but of course it isnt getting the recognition. If it had the name Miyazaki slapped onto it though, rest assured it would have at least found some mention somewhere

Are sequels somehow excluded from these events or why is FSN not even a nominee?
It's okay to smirk

Jan 13, 1:18 PM

Wow it's like the Oscars only care about Movies that are originally English......

The Oscars are and Always have been only about the American west and Never cared about the movies from the East or any non-english speaking countries unless Disney was involved.

I am from the Netherlands and none of the dutch movies got Nominated.

Meanwhile Joker gets 11 Noms.......
NIIIICE

Jan 13, 1:22 PM
addioo12 said:

Are sequels somehow excluded from these events or why is FSN not even a nominee?

sequels are included since Toy Story 4 is there and Frozen 2 got submitted but not nominated

Jan 13, 1:37 PM

A few academy members have admitted in interviews they don't care about animation. That's why the nominees in that category are pretty random, with the biggest money-maker (usually a Pixar film) being the winner.

Jan 13, 2:29 PM

oscars isn't an event am would expect animos to be in anyways lol

Jan 13, 2:48 PM

Do films or whatever become better if they win an award? Why should I give a single shit about this endless fucking parade of awards ceremonies?

Jan 13, 2:59 PM

Scud said:
Why should I give a single shit about this endless fucking parade of awards ceremonies?

u shouldn't.
award shows are like pageants, useless subjective back-patting between industry practitioners.

Jan 13, 3:46 PM

Yudina said:
Maybe if they wanted to be nominated, they shouldn't have been fucking terrible lmao
This seems true enough. Granted, I've probably watched fewer than five anime films that came out last year, but the only one that strikes me as a potential candidate for animated film of the year is Children of the Sea. Maybe Yuasa's film? Doesn't look like his best work, but I haven't seen it.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.

Jan 13, 4:31 PM

Why is it usually nominated then previous years? Were we expecting some to be nominated?

Jan 13, 5:16 PM

Well no shit. The Oscars is just awards to people associated with the biggest bribers and what films grossed the most money.

Jan 13, 5:38 PM

The Oscar has been an English world bias since it was created, the whole thing was meant as a propaganda tool for hollywood.
There are so many amazing French movies that didn't even got scrap of being nominated.

Jan 13, 5:42 PM
Local Bug Furry

You would think Pedowood would appreciate some of anime's finer points.

*Badum Tshh*

🅗🅐🅡🅓🅔🅡 🅓🅐🅓🅓🅨

Jan 13, 5:52 PM

are we really surprised anymore? lol

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Jan 13, 6:09 PM

Only Oscars/Academy Awards-related thing I give a shit about are YourMovieSucksdotorg's Oscars commentary videos.

Otherwise, I'm still a little salty about Madoka Magica: Rebellion not being nominated all those years ago—only a little since it's not something I'd imagine to be associated with the Oscars anyway...
...But yeah other than those two things, I don't see how the Oscars is really worth caring about tbh sorry

Jan 13, 7:31 PM

addioo12 said:
Fate/HF was amazing and AFAIK it ran in theatres and therefore should have been eligible, but of course it isnt getting the recognition. If it had the name Miyazaki slapped onto it though, rest assured it would have at least found some mention somewhere

Did you really expect a Fate movie to be nominated for the Oscars? That sounds insane to me. The Academy has no idea what Fate is, and why would they?

024 said:
Why is it usually nominated then previous years? Were we expecting some to be nominated?

No, anime has always been overlooked. Spirited Away is the only feature-length anime film that holds an Oscar to this day since 2003. All the anime films that have been nominated before are from Studio Ghibli, most of them with Miyazaki's prestigious name behind them. Ghibli also has ties to Disney, so that's another significant factor.

Kimi no Na wa, Koe no Katachi, and In This Corner of the World were all skipped over for The Boss Baby a couple years ago. The Boss Baby. That should've told everyone loud and clear how the Academy views anime. They don't care. Anime has little to no relevance to them, so this shouldn't be surprising at all.
Modified by Pyro, Jan 13, 7:41 PM

Jan 14, 5:14 AM

I gave up on caring a long time ago especially the animation feature film category. Don't have a Disney or Dreamworks logo on your DVD box? You don't exist.

Jan 14, 7:28 AM

I'm not surprised and i don't care.

Jan 14, 10:53 AM

I tend to stay away from mainstream movies anyway. My tastes don't align with that of hollywood. I've found so many movies with near perfect scores on RottenTomatoes to be terrible.

Jan 14, 12:01 PM
Mugiwara-sensei

Oscar is worthless. It's just a junk.

Jan 14, 11:59 PM

The Oscars have so many unpopular snubs this year, the animation category is the least of their problems.

Jan 15, 3:06 AM

So what? They have seen their ratings drop for years and did not change one bit. Knowing that our beloved medium is not entangled in this wreck is actually reassuring.

Jan 15, 7:10 AM

Most people deciding this are men over the age of 60. Just saying.

Jan 15, 4:44 PM
Whatever

The term "oscar bait" exists for a reason. These are the pseudo-philosophical high-aiming movies that try to pander to the jury.
The jury ... aren't all of them old boring dudes anyway, hipsters who always hate to let mainstream movies and media win. And there had been a lot of shit in the last years, so I haven't watched them sinve years anymore.
They also don't "get" western animation movies either and only see cute and meaningless children movies in them. Since all of them are dusty and outdated grandpas.

Jan 15, 10:48 PM

Those boomers don't understand real art. I don't think people in anime community think that highly of oscars anymore.
“The sound of the Gion Shoja temple bells echoes the impermanence of all things;
The color of the sala flowers reveals the truth that to flourish is to fall.
The proud do not endure, like a passing dream on a night in spring;
The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.”

Jan 16, 3:29 PM

Oh please....let's not get into this.

Lets remeber ONE vital thing...

Animated Films are NOT nominated on their animation production....they are nominated mostly on story.

And before I get quoted...I'm not saying that anime films don't have good stories, but I AM saying that MOST of the time, they care more about the animation production than the actual story.

Jan 19, 12:49 PM

Quite personally I think it's a good thing that no anime films were nominated for Oscars. Genuinely well made foreign films being met with international acclaim and being enjoyed by a wide audience means more normies would be liking anime, and the prospect of a medium that I have formed my entire identity around entering the mainstream is an idea that I find threatening to my emotional stability.

Jan 19, 2:35 PM

If you've seen the lineup this year, yeah, I don't think Tenki tops any of those