Forum Settings
Forums

are you happy? (+my thoughts on money, desire, purpose)

Jan 12, 10:40 PM

if not, what do you think would make you happy?

i have been reducing my screen time and increasing the time i spend outside, even if it’s just to be alone on a walk to think to myself.

lately, money has been on my mind. would more of it make me happy? prolly not since if you earn more, you spend more. the more things you own, they end up owning you.

this is gonna sound really dumb, but i find similarities with irl money and gta online money. in gta online, you could do the missions that net you the most money, or you could do the missions you like or find fun and still get money. in the end, you get money from both outcomes, yet one has an added bonus which is personal satisfation and purpose. you do that thing you like and get money. the same idea could be applied to real life.

if you have the drive to do something in life, i think you should be alright. it needs to be cultivated, however. to want to do something in life is special. how do we get people to want to do stuff in life in the first place? i understand that a horse can be led to water, but you cannot make it drink. so people must want to do things of through their own agency, taking into account: like, dislike, cause and effect.

Jan 12, 11:16 PM
Local Bug Furry

That analogy you make with gta is pretty poignant. Mirrors my life where I have chosen the more money path currently.

Can’t afford to be a starving artist when I live in a shitty situation. Maybe one day I will make enough money, lol.

To answer your question I am not happy currently. I am working my way to eventually be so. The first step is not to live in shit. The next is spend money to actually take care of myself. See a therapist again and actually find medications that work. Then take care of my physical to help me transition more than I have.

It’s a long progress and I am already so much more behind than my peers but I can’t let that keep me down. Gotta stay focuses and positive because everything will work out in the end (hopefully)

πŸ…—πŸ…πŸ…‘πŸ…“πŸ…”πŸ…‘ πŸ…“πŸ…πŸ…“πŸ…“πŸ…¨

Jan 13, 12:04 AM
just content in what i have since i accepted my own limitations

Jan 13, 9:37 AM

If you are already happy, more money certainly would not hurt

If you aren’t happy, more money won’t help. You likely need to figure out the underlying reasons and address them first.

Jan 13, 9:56 AM

I'm not miserable but I not yet where I want to be so I can't exactly consider myself happy, not truly.

And yes, money is the key component for me to reach my desired state.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from it.

Jan 13, 10:09 AM

I'm taken, I can life with the money I have and please myself with material things without flippin' the coin twice. I have 53X, friends and I'm healthy. The only thing that I can complain about is weather and that I have to work for cash. That's all.

Jan 13, 11:02 AM

You can also just work a boring job that pays you +10k a month and then retire after 5 years of work.

Jan 13, 11:24 AM

People will tell you that crying in Ferrari is much better than in Toyota or smth. But also rich people can be miserable. There are more than enough examples of rich depressed people. Obviously if you have some sort of mental disorder the money alone won't be able to solve it, however it can greatly help (you can afford a therapist).
To answer your second question, no, the money alone won't make you happy. Maybe only temporarily. People get used to good things and tend to forget their value quite fast.
Am I happy? Not quite.
What do I think would make me happy? I don't even know...

Jan 13, 1:32 PM
DarkChild

p0ckyy said:

if you have the drive to do something in life, i think you should be alright.

This is one of the things that makes me unhappy. It feels like no matter what I try to do I can't quite get there. Or I get there and people don't want to see me in that spot. Adversity comes. It gets difficult. Things get emotional in one way or another. And then you have to leave it all behind and start over.

Happniess though... I think happiness is an emotion like any other. I don't know why we all value it so much. I think for a person to be happy another can't be happy. And it shouldn't be that way but life has been set up that way. And there is the saying that ignorance is bliss. The less you know or are aware of the happier you are. Or if you are someone who doesn't care about others and only cares about yourself and your bubble then you can be happy. But overall I think happiness is temporary. We as people are never satisfied. We always want more. There is an inherent longing for more. For something else. For something new. Is it because of dopamine or something? I don't know but we always want to know what else is there. And we become unhappy.

Jan 13, 2:28 PM

I think I'm happy? I just need money. I have plenty of things I like to do. And I hope my health stay good.

@FlowersInTheRain
I will think that conquering adversity is one of things that make people interesting. How you choose to go about it, make up who you are. Why don't you try some other ways?

Jan 13, 3:00 PM

Not really, no... I'm new to college (second trimester) and I don't feel like I'm learning anything. I wanted to study computer science so I could become a programmer. I knew I had to learn math to get to that point and I was willing to go along with it... until I actually started college. I'm honestly really fucking lost... I somehow made it to the second trimester and I feel like I don't know things that I should've learned in the first... Worst part is, it's a private college and my dad is paying for it. I don't want to make him feel like he's wasting his money... So yeah, I have the pressure from my family as well. The thing is, I've learned a bit about programming by myself on my free time, and I can learn that just fine since it's something that interests me, but math I've had issues with for a while now.

Jan 13, 4:01 PM
The JoJo Pleb

I believe, I'm happy. Once I finish college and move out, I think I'll be even more happy. If you continue to choose sadness, you will never be happy.

Jan 13, 4:21 PM

Am I?

Hell yeah, I'd say I'm overall happy. It's my baseline emotional state.

I'm grateful for the life I got. I'm glad I have a wonderful family. Shout outs to my brother, he's the smartest person I know, and one of the kindest too. Speaking of kind, I'm also glad to have met other beautiful people on this weird journey called life, my teachers and variety of friends who made mine memorable. People who have encouraged me to be who I am now and wanted what was best for me.

Gotdamn, such good neighbors. :'-)

There are innumerable things that make me happy too. Writing, drawing, socializing, travel, going to anime conventions, music, learning new things, and making monkey bread to name a few. There's so much for me to be happy about that it's hard for me to imagine going through a day without seeing something that fills me with joy

Jan 13, 4:27 PM

Meh a lil bit depresso but then again
if the hurt comes
so will the happiness

Jan 13, 6:08 PM

There's a fine line between pleasure/happiness and pain. Sometimes I feel really good and it's as if I'm at a place of shear contentment, then other-times I feel like I'm missing something in my life. Like there's a void there, ya know.

I've learnt not to take the darker times so serious, because they always pass. Rather, I'd rather just focus on constructing more balance in my life through the structure of my goals and such.

Jan 14, 2:01 AM
I mean nah not in particular
then again not that I am sad either
just bored,lazy and find no fun in doing a thing

Jan 15, 2:47 AM

Pretty happy with life, not much more I could realistically wish for currently. Of course, there's always the desire to get more and better stuff, but that's just a matter of time.

Jan 15, 3:07 AM

Money does help sometimes and doesn't other times. If you're struggling to get by it'll be a happiness amplifier in your life for rather obvious reasons. If you're already financially stable and can afford your hobbies and whatnot more money will be a temporary up in your happiness only to go back down to near its original level after a while, a phenomenon known as the "hedonic treadmill"

Let my blood taint your dreams!
Let the Grail be cursed!
Let the wish it grants bring disaster!
And when you fall into the pits of hell...
Remember the rage of Diarmuid!

Jan 15, 4:27 AM
DarkChild

BrightFlashLight said:
I think I'm happy? I just need money. I have plenty of things I like to do. And I hope my health stay good.

@FlowersInTheRain
I will think that conquering adversity is one of things that make people interesting. How you choose to go about it, make up who you are. Why don't you try some other ways?

I’ve tried a lot of ways but I’m sure there are also ways that I am unwilling to try or haven’t thought of. In general though I notice that a lot of people have faced the same adversity as I have when it comes to these things. My mother, fiancée, others who have served in the military in world war 2, even Meghan Markle right now as we speak. #BlackPeopleProblems

Jan 15, 4:59 AM

FlowersInTheRain said:
BrightFlashLight said:

@FlowersInTheRain

I’ve tried a lot of ways but I’m sure there are also ways that I am unwilling to try or haven’t thought of. In general though I notice that a lot of people have faced the same adversity as I have when it comes to these things. My mother, fiancée, others who have served in the military in world war 2, even Meghan Markle right now as we speak. #BlackPeopleProblems

I see. Racism problems. Not to be taken lightly. Even I have no words for this one.

Jan 15, 5:04 AM
DarkChild

BrightFlashLight said:
FlowersInTheRain said:

I see. Racism problems. Not to be taken lightly. Even I have no words for this one.

Your point is still a really valid one though. Racism aside, we all face some adversity it just just comes in different forms. And how we deal with it can be used as a measure of our spirit.

Jan 15, 5:10 AM

FlowersInTheRain said:
BrightFlashLight said:

Your point is still a really valid one though. Racism aside, we all face some adversity it just just comes in different forms. And how we deal with it can be used as a measure of our spirit.

Indeed. I hope you don't lose spirit on resolving your problems. It can be hard on all of us at times.

Jan 15, 5:38 AM

during the day i feel happy, during the night i have way too much time to think.

generally, i'm happy until i start thinking and then suddenly, every little thing, insecurity, negative thought that i managed to overcome during the day ends up perpetuated. i've been trying to journal before i sleep to help me settle and not exacerbate thoughts while i'm laying there, but it's still really hard sometimes.

i still find it hard to shake the feeling of 'you could have done this better' or 'i wonder what the repercussions of this will be' or the classic 'holy ---- what am i doing with my life', and it's my way of handling thoughts like this that makes me unhappy (if this makes any sense).

otherwise, money can definitely help you to do the things you want to do (undoubtedly) and there's nothing wrong with trying to save or using money to do the things you wanna do. i guess it depends on what exactly is making you unhappy - for me, it's me and i doubt any amount of money will help me change the way i handle my own thoughts.

Jan 15, 9:25 AM

Like you said, there's a lot to take in to consideration. Generally, I would say I'm happy. I could go on and on on this subject however gonna keep it short. I'm happy because I like to keep things positive. Why, though? Because I'm motivated by the people I surround myself with. What if I don't have people around me and I feel lonely? Then I think. I try things that might not make me feel so good, but when I find even the smallest thing that was better than the last, that makes me feel happy because I learned/did something new.

Yes, money can't buy happiness. People say it's your life because it really is. You will be influenced, but you're only influenced by the people you allow yourself to be influenced by. You will have lows in life, but following those lows are some of the most tranquil, happiest moments of your life.

If you're happy, don't try to control it because it will come naturally.

Jan 15, 10:58 AM

I'm generally happy because I'm doing something I like but as of recently my hormones have been whack because I'm stressed about an interview that I've been preparing for the last week.

I'm scared about earning enough money to support myself for sure. I don't want to be dependent on the fact that I'll always have my parents monetary support if I need it. But I'm young so I'll figure it out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 15, 12:09 PM
I know I won't probably ever be happy because I have an eating disorder that is making me feel fat all the time, and extremely guilty after eating. Everything is going really well otherwise, but that just makes me hate myself so much I just wish I was dead. Furthermore, as a guy I don't have the courage to talk about it to anyone, be it friends, family or a doctor.

Jan 15, 12:51 PM

I am not happy. I hate school, and I am Mentally Ill

Jan 15, 5:34 PM

I take the Maslow hierarchy of needs as my guide. Money stops making you more happy once you have shelter, food and economic security (i.e. you're not worried about being evicted all the time, you pay your debts on time, etc.) So focusing on money is smart depending on where you are in life.

But when you have basic economic security, you should be focusing on the social aspects of your life. Having friends and a partner, for example. The other thing is to focus on self actualization. Find something you're passionate about and just work on improving at it. At no point will you feel you've reached the height and you can stop. But rather, perpetual improvement is what makes one happy.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but it's probably going to involve frogs. I freakin' hate those things."
- Albert Einstein

Jan 15, 5:39 PM

not really, no

but i'm in the pursuit

Jan 15, 5:56 PM

Lately I'm anxious but a happy type of anxious. Then half happy?