Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Jan 12, 11:04 AM

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone either A) knows of a condensed fan edit or textual description of the beginning of Steins;Gate, or B) is willing to create, if it does not already exist, of a condensed fan edit or textual description of Steins;Gate.

I am asking because I genuinely want to get into this show, but the slow start is just... well, I'll go as far as to say that it is boring. Now, I absolutely love media which features time travel, from anime such as the Haruhi Suzumiya series to the Zero Escape (one of my favorite) series (999, Virtues Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma), and so I genuinely want to appreciate and enjoy Steins;Gate, but I honestly cannot. This is my opinion, especially given that I know what type of media I do enjoy, but to me, an anime that is a 'slow burn' is not only a poor choice but just poor writing in general. A lot of media can do both, keep it very interesting while explaining the intricate details as things go, rather than doing a full exposition dump, introducing characters I don't care about and do not learn to care about, but Steins;Gate seems to be infamous for having such a slow start that there are a lot of newcomers being turned off and even asking on forums such as this if "it gets better", "is worth it", etc. I should emphasize that I think that it is not a good thing when most people who give it a shot, especially of the more casual variety who have a lot less free time on their hands, are turned away due to how much of a 'slow burn' it is. However I digress.

As mentioned, I want to get into Steins;Gate, and I do not want to sound condescending or arrogant, but I value my time, and so I want to A) maximize the amount of information given; B) filter out irrelevant or useless information, fan service, etc.; and C) minimize the amount of time required to consume this information.

Again, I understand if this comes across as "asking for way too much"; I personally have no problem just dropping the series, because I cannot stomach sitting through the first (12?) episodes to actually get to the 'good' stuff.

Edit: No longer need a condensed version; english dub was great enough to get around the many issues I had with pacing and awkward/cringe in the Japanese dub/English sub. Gave it a 9/10 as a whole, watched all episodes. Prefer Zero Escape series by far, but its overall a great anime, with some flaws.
Modified by theif519, Jan 18, 9:26 AM
Elapsam semel occasionem
non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
(Not even Jupiter can find a lost opportunity)

Jan 12, 11:07 AM

What is this blasphemy? If you skip moments from the first few episodes you're not gonna enjoy the whole series coz you'll have missed important parts. If you're having trouble with the start, I suggest dropping it.

Jan 12, 11:11 AM

The 'good' stuff starts at episode one.

Jan 12, 11:11 AM

There is no past 12+ ep Stains;Gate without first 12 episodes.
And it's not even a slow start. If you don't like first 12 episodes, then just skip this series. I can't imagine Stains;Gate without beginning like this and learning many thing about the characters and world presented in this series.
It's not about "it gets better" or "it's worth". It's great since the very beginning and as I said, if you don't 'feel' it, just skip it.
Dub = fake crap. Always.

Jan 12, 11:13 AM

PLEASE DON'T SKIP THE FIRST 12 EPISODES, LITERALLY THE BEST PART OF STEINS;GATE IS THE BEGINNING. SKIPPING IT IS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU WILL EVER MAKE.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10

Jan 12, 11:14 AM
Stein One Gates Pace when?1111111111111

Jan 12, 11:17 AM

Note I am asking for a 'condensed' version, which does not mean "skip the first 12 episodes" but rather "12 episodes condensed into the span of time of 2 or 3".
Elapsam semel occasionem

Jan 12, 11:18 AM
Bruh, if you want to watch Steins;Gate then just watch it. Personally, I didn't find the so called "slow start" boring at all, and I never asked myself when this thing starts to get "good." Steins;Gate is one of those shows where everything is tied together, where a condensed version of the first half would cut out a lot of important details and make the overall experience worse.

I really can't think of irrelevant or useless information that was in the first half, and Steins;Gate is certainly not known for fan service. If you want to maximize the amount of information but minimize the time required, then you're out of luck.

Yes, I think you're asking for way too much. I'd recommend watching this masterpiece as it is and not ruin it for yourself with a condensed version. If you don't want to do that, then as you said yourself, just drop it, but you'll be missing out.

Jan 12, 11:19 AM

Have you actually tried watching them or are you just suggesting that it'll be time-wasting because others claim so?
I see that you've given other series which are said to have a slower and kind of boring start when compared to what comes later (for example Clannad and Gintama) great scores, so you should be fine with S;G. It's not even that slow or boring of a start as it is, some people just want to get to the "good parts" immediately. But the first half gives the necessary build up (world-building, getting to know the characters, etc) in order to enjoy the "better" half, even if it has its flaws, just like the second part does.
If you have enough time to spend on threads like this, you had better start watching it. If you really can't stand how "slow" it is, then it'd be better to just drop it.

Jan 12, 11:26 AM

Melody said:
Have you actually tried watching them or are you just suggesting that it'll be time-wasting because others claim so?
I see that you've given other series which are said to have a slower and kind of boring start when compared to what comes later (for example Clannad and Gintama) great scores, so you should be fine with S;G. It's not even that slow or boring of a start as it is, some people just want to get to the "good parts" immediately.

I tried watching it on 4 separate occasions, from the beginning, and each time by episode 4 or 5, I can't bare to watch it anymore. I loved Gintama because each episode, on its own, was interesting and funny, same for Clannad. The story isn't monolithic, and can be digested in byte-sized chunks; each episode of Gintama, back when I watched it, was entirely self-contained to the point that I could watch random episodes of it and still walk away satisfied.
Elapsam semel occasionem

Jan 12, 11:26 AM

With your viewpoint, I'd definitely recommend dropping it now and not wasting your time further. You're not going to get much of anything out of the second half if you skip through most of the first half. It's all equally important, so there is absolutely no way to eliminate 9-10 episodes worth of content and still get something remotely similar to the experience of just watching the series as it's meant to be seen. I personally found the whole series to be enjoyable, and there are virtually no unimportant characters, or a large amount of insignificant content. If you feel slow = bad, then it's not the series for you, and that's fine. Not everyone has to like it.

Jan 12, 11:34 AM

palm-tree said:
With your viewpoint, I'd definitely recommend dropping it now and not wasting your time further. You're not going to get much of anything out of the second half if you skip through most of the first half. It's all equally important, so there is absolutely no way to eliminate 9-10 episodes worth of content and still get something remotely similar to the experience of just watching the series as it's meant to be seen. I personally found the whole series to be enjoyable, and there are virtually no unimportant characters, or a large amount of insignificant content. If you feel slow = bad, then it's not the series for you, and that's fine. Not everyone has to like it.

I guess that's fair. I guess in terms of being on the fence, I'm definitely more on the side of 'drop it' for now. Thanks!
Elapsam semel occasionem

Jan 12, 11:35 AM

theif519 said:
I tried watching it on 4 separate occasions, from the beginning, and each time by episode 4 or 5, I can't bare to watch it anymore. I loved Gintama because each episode, on its own, was interesting and funny, same for Clannad. The story isn't monolithic, and can be digested in byte-sized chunks; each episode of Gintama, back when I watched it, was entirely self-contained to the point that I could watch random episodes of it and still walk away satisfied.

It was just an example since, as you said, there are different stuff each of us enjoys or finds slow and boring about different shows. And that's why S;G might not be a show for you after all. Asking for a butchered version of the first half will take away what others consider good about the second half, too. And this is not just about S;G, it's about every anime imo.
Since you enjoy time travel stories, it's up to you whether you'll push yourself for ~12 episodes (which isn't all that long), drop it, or managing to find what you are asking for and compromise with a way less enjoyable version of the show, since all the bits where you get attached to the characters and maybe understanding what's going on a bit better will be gone.

Jan 12, 11:38 AM

If you don't want to watch the first 12 episodes no one is forcing you to watch the show. Just don't watch Steins;Gate if you can't handle the first half.

Jan 12, 11:39 AM

Just drop it. If you think its not worth investing some time regardless whether the series is good or not. Just drop it, time is more valuable, I honestly do agree with that.

Jan 12, 11:44 AM

I see this argument often, that the first 12 episodes were "slow and boring" ...
But man ... I absolutely loved the first half, the way we get to know the characters, the world they live in ... beautiful.
And it all makes it so much better after viewing the second half, that's literally what made the show, the entire package.

I honestly think you may have gone into the series with a bad mindset; of only wanting to watch the show because it involves time travel. (At least it feels that way after reading your responses)

It's a shame you'll drop it for now, it's for sure one of the best anime series out there.

Jan 12, 11:49 AM
I bet you're the type of person who would skip parts from Jojo. What's the point of world-building and character development/introductions if you're not going to watch them? You might as well not watch the series in the first place.
If she isn't blood related, she's ready to be dated

Jan 12, 11:57 AM

Here's the easy formula - if you don't like it from the beginning and find it boring then it's bad for you and you should drop it. If show fails to entertain you in a mere half of episodes then the second half doesn't deserve watching either, no matter how good it can be.
Why do you need to force yourself? High ratings? Lots of praising? Friends recommendations? It has nothing to do with your own taste. Or are you afraid to be bullied and laughed at for disliking it?
Just give it up, you'll miss nothing important, this show is not an epiphany at best.
You can read some negative reviews, too, to encourage yourself to make this hard decision
Modified by Nemo_Niemand, Jan 12, 12:07 PM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 12, 11:59 AM

if you do not like the beginning of steins gate to the extent that you can't even watch it without requesting someone to edit it for you, you absolutely will not like the rest of the show

Jan 12, 12:00 PM

How can people watch anime like this... and this is coming from someone that thought that the first 12 episodes were really slow too...

Jan 12, 12:05 PM

Just watch the last three episodes. If you like them, then watch the last three episodes again to understand what happened in the previous episodes.

I hope this helps.

Jan 12, 12:07 PM

Honestly, those first 10 or so episodes are the best part of the series. Never really get why people found them boring or, oddly enough, confusing... Anyway, either force yourself through them to get to the “supposed” good part, or just don’t bother at all. Those episodes serve a purpose, when you try cramming them into some half assed fan edit, you’re not really getting the intended experience.

Jan 12, 12:11 PM

shanimebib said:
Just watch the last three episodes. If you like them, then watch the last three episodes again to understand what happened in the previous episodes.

I hope this helps.

That's not a bad idea!

Nubiellee said:
How can people watch anime like this... and this is coming from someone that thought that the first 12 episodes were really slow too...

Its mostly a compromise between watching it and not watching it. Although I've done something like this before for other types of media, getting a 'CliffsNotes' version of a prequel that came out a long time ago that I don't have time to see.
Elapsam semel occasionem

Jan 12, 12:13 PM

No fan of the show would make a "fan edit" that cuts out a portion of the show...

I want to believe this is a troll post.
Modified by mikerjw, Jan 12, 12:19 PM
Padre Pio is an underrated saint.

Jan 12, 12:59 PM

There is no alternative.

Either you push through the 12 episodes (which aren't bad, since when slow=bad) and get to the turning point or you just don't watch it.
"I'm not able to stomach it". Dude, is it that hard to keep your attention focused on it for 20 minutes? You don't have to binge it. If I dislike something, I'll just push through it when I am fully awake and ready to give it 100% of my attention 1 episode at the time, even if it takes some time. Watch other shows in between.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 12, 1:50 PM

Nemo_Niemand said:
You can read some negative reviews, too, to encourage yourself to make this hard decision

Okay, I've actually gone ahead and done this. The top 3 critical reviews that aren't ranting I've found:

https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=179853
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=115889
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=177387

Very interesting to see different perspectives on it.
Elapsam semel occasionem

Jan 12, 1:53 PM

It's not as painful as people make it out to be and it's not even that many episodes. I guess you can read the episode summary on wikipedia but you'll miss out on the character introductions.
I really enjoy those "helicopter ride" memes

Jan 14, 10:33 AM
Forum Moderator
Scary Person

Thread has been moved to Sub-Anime Discussion board.

Jan 14, 10:51 AM

Even though the first half is slow it explains everything perfectly in a way that doesn’t feel like a massive dialogue dump. This is so you can watch the second half understanding everything and not needing an explanation which would end up being a dialogue dump every 5 minutes. The only reason why the second half is so good is that the first half slowly introduces every idea without dumping a massive amount of dialogue on you. I highly recommend you push through the first half, I promise you that you won’t regret it.

You’re Loved

Jan 14, 1:22 PM
theif519 said:
Nemo_Niemand said:

Okay, I've actually gone ahead and done this. The top 3 critical reviews that aren't ranting I've found:

https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=179853
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=115889
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=177387

Very interesting to see different perspectives on it.

I like when someone is talking about plotholes, but he doesn't mention ANY plotholes... From what I recall, there is only 1 real plothole in Steins;Gate, but the 99% of the viewers are not even aware of it xD The ones who says that Steins;Gate has a lot of plotholes are usually the ones, who doesn't even understand the story and its mechanics.

I also like when someone who didn't even understand a damn thing about this anime says "there is nothing in the first half, nothing happened, it is shitty". Lol... Literally EVERY little detail and foreshadowing in the first half is extremely important.

So do not search for a condensed version, watch the series normally.

Jan 16, 12:38 AM
I guess you can read good and bad reviews aswell, but in the end, this anime might be one of your favorite. I started to watch because of the praise, I HATED the first 7-8 episodes, Okabe was weird, sometimes Mayuri was annoying, the plot didn't move on, etc.. It looked like bad writing. I kept watching because 24 episode is not that much. It could be my biggest regret to drop it, this show just turn the whole table in a perfect way, the characters becomes developed and interesting and the plot is one of the best in time travel genre. The best thing after finishing the show is when you realize that first 12 episodes were necessary and everything makes sense. I highly recommend to watch it AT LEAST until episode 13, because you will see this series true face at that point. If you like time traveling, I can guarantee that you will REALLY enjoy Steins;Gate.

Jan 17, 8:32 PM

Okay, after paying a $5.99 subscription to Funimation, I was able to access the English Dub version of Steins;Gate, and it is actually... tolerable now! I'll see if I can actually get through the entire anime.
Elapsam semel occasionem

Jan 17, 10:08 PM
Yeah, the dub version in this anime is really good, it is less cringy for example and gives a little better understanding about some stuffs. Please sometimes come back here, many of us just are curious about the opinion after you watched past the slow start!

Jan 17, 11:14 PM

Okay, so I watched up to Episode 13 (haven't started it yet), and now I'm actually beginning to see the appeal of the show. Heck, I even enjoyed what I formerly referred to as the 'slow part'; I guess I just needed a good English Dub to actually enjoy it. I'll report back when I finish the entire season.
Elapsam semel occasionem

Jan 18, 12:15 AM
Yeah the Sub version is actually a little more goofy and the jokes not that good as in the Dub. It's nice to see that you enjoy it so far, even the earlier episodes, too. Good luck with the show!

Jan 18, 9:22 AM

Just about finished the anime, I'm going to go ahead and give it a 9/10 so far, it's great, but far from perfect; definitely prefer Zero Escape series to something like this, but for a slice-of-life anime (rather than a killing-game and psychological horror/thriller visual novel like Zero Escape) it is pretty darn good.

One thing I can complain about is that there definitely are a few plot holes/inaccuracies. For example, the compression of 3TB of data into 32B; is it possible? Sure, you can conceive some many-to-one mapping that does this, but a one-to-one scheme, where some inverse exists? Rather, a compression strategy that can condense terabytes of data to what amounts to half a cache-line (32 bytes) is possible, but . decompression becomes literally impossible, essentially the pigeonhole principle: if you have more pigeons than holes, more than one pigeon will wind up in the same hole; you may be able to define a deterministic approach that maps pigeons to holes, but if you wanted a particular pigeon from a hole, it'd be a toss-up. I think they should have done something like 'sending data in packets' or something like that, which would make much more sense; "Our data gets transmitted in a series of packets of 32 bytes, and due to some [insert quantum physics explanation here] it gets reassembled in-order and whole," or something like this.
Elapsam semel occasionem

Jan 20, 1:14 PM
theif519 said:

For example, the compression of 3TB of data into 32B; is it possible?

And why is this a plothole in a science-FICTION series about TIME-TRAVEL? You could also ask: time travel; is that possible? No, of course not, but this show not a documentary...

You also said that there are other plotholes... Tbh. I only noticed one plothole in the series, but 99% of people doesn't even know about it xD can you geass what it is?

Jan 20, 1:49 PM

SheevPalpatine said:
theif519 said:

For example, the compression of 3TB of data into 32B; is it possible?

And why is this a plothole in a science-FICTION series about TIME-TRAVEL? You could also ask: time travel; is that possible? No, of course not, but this show not a documentary...

You also said that there are other plotholes... Tbh. I only noticed one plothole in the series, but 99% of people doesn't even know about it xD can you geass what it is?

Because Steins;Gate attempts to provide a plausible explanation for everything, with suspense of disbelief kicking in when it needs to smooth things out in terms of existing quantum mechanics. Their explanation by itself makes no sense, and hence it is difficult to suspend the disbelief that you can decompression 32B of data into 3TBs.
Modified by theif519, Jan 20, 2:10 PM
Elapsam semel occasionem