Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 7, 2020 6:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not bad for the opening song.

Orphen has a personality that I hope I can get used to. They introduced the idea of magic and didn't hold back on some of the fighting scenes in the first episode. Cleao Everlasting is also introduced and she has a tomboyish-like personality. Cute girl.

Pretty much an introductoy episode but it has my interest.
Jan 7, 2020 10:57 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Animation is kinda good so far and story can be interesting, i'm looking forward for the next episode
Jan 7, 2020 11:11 AM

Feb 2015
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

Orphen has a personality that I hope I can get used to. They introduced the idea of magic and didn't hold back on some of the fighting scenes in the first episode. Cleao Everlasting is also introduced and she has a tomboyish-like personality. Cute girl.

The opening song was fecking awful, it was like bad Japanese karaoke. I think you need your hearing tested
Jan 7, 2020 11:30 AM

Jul 2008
Crashmatt said:
Stark700 said:

The opening song was fecking awful, it was like bad Japanese karaoke. I think you need your hearing tested

Yeah i didn't like the opening at all either ! Ending was okay though.

But I somehow feel like this anime's overall style is about 10 year old or more. But I guess that's like a style decision? idk

Jan 7, 2020 11:32 AM
May 2017
This was better than I expected 8/10. The magic scenes were cool. I really like Orphen and Cleao is cute and funny.
Jan 7, 2020 11:37 AM

Oct 2017
Pretty good start tbh, I'm interested. I like the main character's style, he is kinda cool. Also lol this feels so much like an rpg for some reason.
MegamiRemJan 7, 2020 1:25 PM
Jan 7, 2020 11:40 AM

Feb 2019
That was a pretty decent first episode.

Orphen seems like a generic shonen MC but that's cool. I liked the antics between orphen and those two kids.

I love magic circles so I hope this show doesn't stop showing them half way through. They really add to the overall aesthetics.
Jan 7, 2020 11:42 AM

Feb 2015
The art/animation was surprisingly good especially for Studio Deen.

Enough here to keep me interested, is there any romance in this?
Jan 7, 2020 11:48 AM
Jul 2018
Why studio deen give similar kind of treatment to seven deadly sins well tbh it deserves even better than this.
Jan 7, 2020 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
Love the episode .playful characters ,the fight scence feel like rpg which is kinda cool in my opinion and animation is good and colours and backgrounds are vivid which is plus point
Jan 7, 2020 11:57 AM

Jun 2012
Crashmatt said:
The art/animation was surprisingly good especially for Studio Deen.

Enough here to keep me interested, is there any romance in this?

The first ep usually is just a tease in terms of quality, they still have a long time to fuck up.

I think this had romance, don't know is if they'll focus a lot on it.
Jan 7, 2020 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
Decent at best so far and also kind of show feels like should have better come off decade ago still welcome one for me especially lack of cool action/adventure+fantasy show lately. Quite different start from the original anime but this dropped few story foreshadowing here and there while the original focused on fleshing out the characters (but both first episode ends at same situation). Also feels like the character personalities slight change for better despite the two duo still can be annoying at times. I just wished the color design were just darker (MAPPA could had been best choice like they have done with other fantasy shows).
removed-userJan 7, 2020 12:22 PM
Jan 7, 2020 12:35 PM

May 2019
very good first episode i hope DEEN dont fuck this series like Nanatsu no taizai
”A fight isn't won once a victor is decided, it's won when someone loses.” – Izayoi Sakamaki

I don’t even know the real names of the two… no, three that I killed back then. I just closed my eyes, put my hands over my ears and tried to forget it all.” – Kirito

MY ANIME LIST
Jan 7, 2020 12:35 PM

Jun 2014
Loved this first episode! I also love that the original VA for Orphen is back! So glad that he is reprising his role and I think he did a great job with the opening song!

As someone who watched the original anime and played the game, I am glad to see Orphen back and this story being retold!
CeissaDesisteJan 7, 2020 12:51 PM
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jan 7, 2020 12:46 PM

Nov 2008

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH AFTER DECADES, THE SEXY SORCERER BOY IS BACK!!!

man I wish they just did a remix of 'Ai Just on My Love' though

Oh don't be fooled by how gorgeous that OP looks; it was J.C. Staff so a lot of eps looked like ass. xD
ChiibiJan 7, 2020 12:54 PM

Jan 7, 2020 12:52 PM
Dec 2019
The opening song was so bad, the ending was a lit better, but not to a high level.
The personality of the protagonist seems to be rude, i like that, plus, i like his clothes, i think it'll be a great protagonist and character.
The story isn't quite interesting, i don't like those typical fantasy-action animes, with magic, mana, swords, dragons, monarchies, idk, i find it very used. Also, i thought it'll be an action-fantasy-adventure(maybe) anime, but there's "comedy" in it. That's not a problem at all, just to see how will it end up with that aspect.
The final scene when the protagonist fights against those magicians was pretty fast, all happened in a second, personally i like that, and the animation was good.
One of the city's scene, where the camera goes up focusing on the river that goes throught the city, that river, with those bridges above, the colors and the environment around remembered me to The Elder Scrolls Morrowind.

85/100
Jan 7, 2020 12:56 PM

Nov 2008
JoseFrey said:

The story isn't quite interesting, i don't like those typical fantasy-action animes, with magic, mana, swords, dragons, monarchies, idk, i find it very used.

You might not like the show then but the manga came from the mid nineties so it felt fresh back then. Fantasy anime was either like Record of Lodoss War or Slayers.

Jan 7, 2020 1:02 PM

Nov 2008
That was a fun trip back twenty plus years! I'm glad that they kept the retro-look as much as they did.
Jan 7, 2020 1:06 PM

Jan 2008
Very nostalgic. Orphen was probably the very first Ps2 game Ive ever played and owned. It wasn't particularly a good game but always nice too see something you experienced a long ago brought back in this day and age with updated visuals. Did watch the old anime too but don't particularly remember much of it.

The fight scenes were pretty nice, unexpected of Deen. Let's hope this isn't just another put everything into the first episode and half ass the rest.
Jan 7, 2020 1:06 PM
Feb 2019
Chiibi said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH AFTER DECADES, THE SEXY SORCERER BOY IS BACK!!!

man I wish they just did a remix of 'Ai Just on My Love' though

Oh don't be fooled by how gorgeous that OP looks; it was J.C. Staff so a lot of eps looked like ass. xD

That Old op was definetly a bop, Apparently its key animation was done by a well known studio bones key animator/director (Masashiro Ando)

As someone who hasn't watched the original series this first ep has definetly caught my interest. Since i heard its only gonna be 14 eps (and it felt like they rushed some things) i may check out the light novels
Mango-man-dangOJan 7, 2020 1:09 PM
♬ Tell me why Tell why Tell me what u want♬
Jan 7, 2020 1:08 PM

Nov 2008
@Mango-man-dangO

OH THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. Lol how dare J.C. deceive me like that. >:/

Jan 7, 2020 1:20 PM
May 2019
Animation and artstyle are average.
OST was noting special.
Story doesn't seem that interesting so far.
I'm not a fan of this type of humor I just don't find it funny.
Characters are usual tropes.
Hopefully MC isn't going to be edgy hotheaded idealistic shounen protagonist.
The battle choreography is not the best I also don't like the way that dragon looks it's too cartoony.
Overall it feels like a standard fantasy anime.
XstasyJan 7, 2020 1:23 PM
Jan 7, 2020 1:23 PM

Nov 2016
It was ok, but I'm not sold. I like that they tried to create a vibe similar to that in 90's anime, this was in particular notable for me during the last attack.

I think it might be better to try out the older version.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 7, 2020 1:54 PM
Apr 2016
I guess I am getting to the age I start judging whether there will be any effort put into the series or not... based on the effort put into the opening sequences. And this opening?... Needless to say I did not watch past it.
Re:formed
Jan 7, 2020 2:03 PM

Dec 2016
Well I still prefer the 90s artsyle with the gritty coloring and outlines that works much better for anything with D&D vibes, but I liked it anyway.

However I feel the drawings look half-assed. It still looks low-budget, but nothing terrible either. Also Orphen now doesn't look as the groovy alpha male as his 90s version, but rather more ordinary.

OP and ED were meh.
Jan 7, 2020 2:14 PM

Jul 2015
Xstasy said:
Animation and artstyle are average.
OST was noting special.
Story doesn't seem that interesting so far.
I'm not a fan of this type of humor I just don't find it funny.
Characters are usual tropes.
The battle choreography is not the best I also don't like the way that dragon looks it's too cartoony.
Overall it feels like a standard fantasy anime.

if you feel that way you won't like it

Orphen was one of the reasons a lot of those tropes exist a lot now :P.
Jan 7, 2020 3:23 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Ohhh, they're really going for the old school vibes, haha. From the arrangement of the OP, the sound effects, the fighting sequences (near the end), and oh man, that bgm, it definitely doesn't feel like an anime from the last decade. I'm liking it, I love classic fantasy adventures. Not too entirely sure if this will stay interesting for me, but the first episode was fun. It's ironic, but it's refreshing to have an old school adventure XD I'd watch the 1998 series or any other older stuff, but I can't seem to give up my seasonals.

But yeah, it's clear this isn't for anyone who likes only modern or deep stuff. Just sit back and enjoy the adventure kind of watch ^^
Jan 7, 2020 3:31 PM

Mar 2017
Hmm, I have really mixed feelings about this. The animation quality was really not great and the plot was lackluster, I think due to a lack of info (like, what was that all about at the beginning?).

But I also really liked Orphen's character (though I don't think Shoutaro Morikubo AKA Shikamaru, was the right VA choice) and I also really liked Cleao Everlasting because she seems like she's going to be hilarious! I also liked the fun and carefree feel to this first episode.

I guess I'll give it the 3 ep rule!
Jan 7, 2020 3:49 PM

Jul 2017
Sequel or reboot you wanna call it, it's clear that this new take is based off from J.C.Staff's rendition of the 1998-1999 mimicking art style and visuals with the 25-year-old story franchise, that's what Studio Deen was gunning for since like said studio, has been surviving long enough in the anime industry.

One thing's for sure, Orphen's original VA is the ONLY unchanged constant, and mostly for nostalgia reasons, though you can tell from age.

Other than that, it's a decent introduction for many newcomers like myself, because old anime classics are hard to come by. Mediocre as usual, but I'd like to see more.
Jan 7, 2020 3:58 PM

Aug 2014
skyUFO said:
Crashmatt said:

Yeah i didn't like the opening at all either ! Ending was okay though.

But I somehow feel like this anime's overall style is about 10 year old or more. But I guess that's like a style decision? idk

Well the novel is from 1994 and the original anime 1998. I really like that they keep the character design.
Jan 7, 2020 4:32 PM

Jan 2016
Best kind of anime. 10/10 first episode. Really good art and character designs.
Jan 7, 2020 4:40 PM
Jul 2016
Chiibi said:
@Mango-man-dangO

OH THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. Lol how dare J.C. deceive me like that. >:/

Alot of anime studios uses freelance animators so it’s not really a trick lmao
Jan 7, 2020 5:36 PM

Aug 2015
definitely gonna keep watching it if only for the old school shounen vibes, but i really hope it picks up in other respects soon
Jan 7, 2020 5:37 PM
Jul 2019
If nothing else, it certainly feels like something from the 90s. I'll keep watching.
Jan 7, 2020 6:22 PM

Nov 2008
Xstasy said:

Orphen has a temper (as you've already seen xD) but he tends to be more moody and laid back when you're not pissing him off. And he doesn't like it when people try to kill his friends...but I think that's reasonable. xD
ChiibiJan 7, 2020 6:30 PM

Jan 7, 2020 7:18 PM
Apr 2013
Looks to be a solid B grade fantasy anime, it's on my watch list.
Jan 7, 2020 9:20 PM

May 2019
Better than I expected. I liked the tone and storytelling of this episode. Orphen and Azalie seem like interesting characters, and it'll be cool to watch Orphen's character interactions.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jan 7, 2020 9:55 PM
Jul 2011
This is so old school.
Jan 8, 2020 1:40 AM
Sep 2015
The plot is pretty generic as expected from old source, but the animation is just amazing, even with the 2020 standard.
Jan 8, 2020 2:41 AM

Oct 2018
the animation was good enough, don't know about the story though.... I am onna contiune up until 3/5 ep.
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Jan 8, 2020 3:58 AM

Mar 2009
I haven't seen the original Orphen, but everything feels so 90s about this. Gotta love it.
Jan 8, 2020 5:06 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
I loved the opening theme-- it was a particularly good choice for an older anime remake. The ending theme was a bit iffy. But, we will see.

I have to say the original OP and ED are classics, though! I hope they can find a way to incorporate them somehow into the series, perhaps as an instrumental somewhere?

So far in episode 1
Keeps the vibes of the original anime,
Whilst freshening everything up with modern visuals and special effects.
In addition, I hope that this will be more true to the original manga/novels.

The original anime series was quite charming by itself, but it had a lot of filler. And the second season was almost, if not, entirely filler. (It wasn't really bad, per-say. Just not canon.)

phantomfandom said:
The plot is pretty generic as expected from old source, but the animation is just amazing, even with the 2020 standard.

Eh? Old doesn't always mean generic. Take Parasyte, for instance. late 80's anime. or fruits basket, late 90's.
quercifoliaJan 8, 2020 5:09 AM

Jan 8, 2020 8:02 AM

Aug 2013
Not sure how to feel about this.

Orphen is an okay MC and the character I like so far is Cleao Everlasting.

Jan 8, 2020 8:09 AM
Apr 2018
anyone feel is all over the place ? i mean i never see the original material its kinda confusing like
it wanted to show cool fight scene
introduce lore
character introduction
a time skip
character personality after time skip
a potential apprentice
overarching plot
and more
like whaat is going on
Jan 8, 2020 12:11 PM

May 2018
Whoa ho ho, this doesn't have quintessential school girl like uniform nor that risque Majo shoujo in it.
Jan 8, 2020 12:59 PM

Sep 2019
Jack_Hornet said:
anyone feel is all over the place ? i mean i never see the original material its kinda confusing like
it wanted to show cool fight scene
introduce lore
character introduction
a time skip
character personality after time skip
a potential apprentice
overarching plot
and more
like whaat is going on
They are definatly speeding things along quickly.

To compare to the original's debut episode, Orphen already has an apprentice, the dragon is known as the unstoppable Bloody August, and that's all you knew.

A lot of the reveals have been told to the audience in this new version already....
Jan 8, 2020 1:51 PM
Mar 2017
It's been a long time since I saw Orphen and this new adaptation doesn't look as bad as I thought for a moment.

The wave of memories that came to my mind when they showed the transformation of Azalie, the frustration of Orphen to see how the other sorcerers tried to kill his sister and the classic "sword of light"
As for the characters, everyone continues as I remember them, especially the beautiful Cleao and Majic, with his enthusiasm for magic.

I found the episode quite limited, but in a positive way, they had the time to present the main cast and the duo that the comedy would bring, added to the main plot that has to do with Azalie and the sword with which she became

Anyway, a decent start and I look forward to this new adaptation.
Jan 8, 2020 2:42 PM

Feb 2011
All I hear is Kirisame Zero.

"You're 1000 years too early to face the dragon!"

Yikes as hell for me. Could be a fun anime. But damn.

Cheesy choice for a VA.

Jan 8, 2020 4:02 PM

Apr 2013
I quite like it. It has many resemblance to older anime in a good way. Although I still don't understand the background and direction of the story, at least it's interesting enough. Really like the character's animation.
Jan 8, 2020 5:23 PM

Nov 2012
I liked it. My only problem is I kept "seeing" Makashima from Yowapeda or Shikamaru everytime Orphen opened his mouth. I kept waiting for him to say something was mendo. I don't think I've ever heard that seiyuu voice a main character. It's gonna take some getting use to.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2020

77 by fudish123 »»
Aug 2, 2023 9:41 AM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2020

44 by ZER0PT »»
Jun 12, 2023 6:19 AM

» Did they fuck up the remake?

RyuRabbit - Jan 21, 2021

4 by fudish123 »»
May 21, 2023 3:07 PM

» Why bad rate? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 8, 2020

94 by Scootboi »»
Jan 19, 2023 8:00 PM

» foster sister? mc going for revenge? let me guess

sondongpyo - Feb 27, 2022

1 by Diapolo10 »»
Feb 27, 2022 4:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.