Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 1 Discussion

Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jan 12, 2020 1:52 AM

Aug 2015
Yeeaaaahh.... No. Maybe I'm just narrow-minded, but shows like this just feel like the author hasn't played a single mmo in their whole life. You can make an anime about fun mmo adventures without making the mc conveniently discover some super hax build and obtain cheat skills that none of the billion other players have ever seen. Props for eating the boss though.
Jan 12, 2020 4:33 AM

Mar 2016
This is what happens when you cut the budget for your balance team.
Jan 12, 2020 6:09 AM
Jul 2016
The story definitely seems interesting as an anime, but as an actual MMO, seems like the game's broken
Jan 12, 2020 10:02 AM

Mar 2018
EcchiGodMamster said:
7.41?

really?

was expecting a 6.5 or something lol
good anime get good ratings.
Jan 12, 2020 2:49 PM
Jan 2020
Fun and relaxing anime. Not the serious type gaming anime. I still want to know what the future holds for her.
Jan 12, 2020 3:19 PM
Jan 2019
I love it! Great characters, story, art, and animation. Very cute and fun!
Jan 12, 2020 7:28 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Groenboys said:
EcchiGodMamster said:
7.41?

really?

was expecting a 6.5 or something lol
good anime get good ratings.

thats a pretty vague response lol
Jan 13, 2020 12:57 AM

Jan 2016
nothing special. May drop.
Jan 13, 2020 9:20 AM
Oct 2015
Oh hey,
Its a kind of anime where they didn`t take it too seriously, and I like it.
Jan 13, 2020 10:52 AM
Jul 2018
Strangely very enjoyable, art is colorful sweet, Maple is cute and thinking, story as far it goes is lol'ing with shield tanking. Very broken game mechanic though with no max % defense cap that can multiply endlessly, but nevermind that.

As far with other titles going on, this is the most light heart easy to watch anime this season.

Oh right, her armor, love it! Reminds me Konno Yuuki's sleeveless plating armor.
removed-userJan 13, 2020 10:57 AM
Jan 13, 2020 12:38 PM

Feb 2008
Kaede (Maple) must be the cutest VRMMO player ever.

Her eating the dragon ranks among one of the most amusing scenes that I recall. Not that Maple's adventure in the forest was less hilarious. All the tiny and cute monsters feasting on her cracked me up.

I did not think that I would pick this one up, but I most certainly will.
Jan 13, 2020 3:12 PM

May 2012
GenesisAria said:
KaeUBW said:
Well if you are referring to the poison resistance then most likely the other players know about it. They didn't say that this was a skill that only Kaede unlocked.

It's most likely (i'm just speculating here) that poison resistance is a skill used only by shield bearers or maybe only they can reach immunity on it.

There was literally dialogue of people baffled by how she was not taking damage from poison, as if she was special and doing something nobody knew about. With the speed in which she got the resistances, that's HIGHLY unlikely.

I just re-watched that scene and the players were baffled that she was SLEEPING in the middle of a bunch poison bugs. None of them said anything about she not taking poison damage. They were impressed that she was not taking any damage at all as the bugs were all attacking her.

The first poison bug attacked her before using poison attacks. So poison attacks is not the only attacks they use.
I despise woke people.
Jan 13, 2020 5:04 PM

Jun 2016
I liked this 1st ep. seems a very cute and funny anime.
Jan 13, 2020 8:33 PM
Nov 2015
Kami-Koto said:
Yeeaaaahh.... No. Maybe I'm just narrow-minded, but shows like this just feel like the author hasn't played a single mmo in their whole life. You can make an anime about fun mmo adventures without making the mc conveniently discover some super hax build and obtain cheat skills that none of the billion other players have ever seen. Props for eating the boss though.

The game mechanics we must notice here :

1. There is no base stats not like other mmo RPG that give us fixed number of stats every category str agi dex vit.

The game give us total freedom where to put 100 poins stat at level 1 to build our character.

all base stats from start is zero you need to put that 100 poin as you like base your role play or troll build.

2. The game mechanic is the classic final fantasy 2, 3 and final fantasy 5.

basicly you can make broken characters by grind basic stuff like get poison for resistance, repeatly do normal hit for increasing str and repeatly get hit for increasing defence, repeatly do basic magic to make stronger magic attack and unlock other And then character class based weapon equip.

3. Maple here basicly YouTuber play RPG with troll meme build not follow other people, some guy playing RPG but build character for meme but somehow it works.

It's rare to see mmo rpg start from 0 stats and build the character as you like.

But there is many open world RPG game that allow you to build character from scratch like fallout Skyrim and dark souls.

4. What make the game broken " NO stats Caps and seriously that stats multiplicative need a serious nerf "

but some how I want to play this game put all to STR make glass Canon and one shot everything, or pure dex make lightning speed meme build / other stupid build.

5. Just don't take the anime seriously just moe moe fantasy stuff, just cute girls doing legit cute thing.

redcobraJan 13, 2020 9:29 PM
Jan 14, 2020 3:24 AM

Jun 2010
She. ate. a. dragon.

That is enough for me to watch this lol.

Jan 14, 2020 7:13 AM
Apr 2015
As an MMO addict and slice-of-life fan this seems right up my alley, I imagine some people might get annoyed at how unrealistic the game design is but it doesn't bother me that much
Jan 14, 2020 11:17 AM
Nov 2016
Really Good episode and it's Very funny 😁
Jan 14, 2020 11:43 AM

Dec 2009
KaeUBW said:
GenesisAria said:
There was literally dialogue of people baffled by how she was not taking damage from poison, as if she was special and doing something nobody knew about. With the speed in which she got the resistances, that's HIGHLY unlikely.
I just re-watched that scene and the players were baffled that she was SLEEPING in the middle of a bunch poison bugs. None of them said anything about she not taking poison damage. They were impressed that she was not taking any damage at all as the bugs were all attacking her.

The first poison bug attacked her before using poison attacks. So poison attacks is not the only attacks they use.

They were also talking like they had no idea how she could survive the poison cuz they melt in an instant, and baffled that she has such super defence, as if min-maxed defence ability was completely alien to them.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 14, 2020 2:16 PM
Jan 2016
Good first episode!

I found Maple really amusing and cute, she just dived in a VR game and without knowing anything she just has become that strong/resistent only maxing up defence!

She killed that hydra eating it, so hilarious!

Forum messages were really interesting aswell!

Looking forward to see Maple's friend reaction to her stats and fast development!
Jan 14, 2020 5:04 PM

Apr 2012
Really, people? This is a CGDCT comedy with semi-parody about MMO, but you really argue over it like it's the new .hack
Jan 14, 2020 6:51 PM

Nov 2009
RobertBobert said:
Really, people? This is a CGDCT comedy with semi-parody about MMO, but you really argue over it like it's the new .hack

It's the same with every other VR/Isekai anime with game concepts... people will discuss like it should be a proper game setting... even tho it isn't really... (cause literally every VR/ Isekai always disregards "caps/ balancing" so the MCs will always be OP)
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Jan 14, 2020 7:39 PM
Jan 2017
This seems to be a kid-friendly version of Rising of the Shield Hero, with the main difference being that Maple actually choosing to focus on defense instead being forced into the defense. I'm not expecting much from this show, but it can still be a pleasant, feelgood experience.
Jan 14, 2020 11:38 PM

Jul 2011
This really felt like the discount version of Sword Art Online mixed with So I'm A Spider, So What? Minus all the danger. Pretty funny, but as others said- game balance seems pretty busted.

That said, I do like the way the protagonist faces problems like a total non-gamer, because that is how things actually go in real life. If someone's never played games, and you throw them into one with minimal explaination, they'll start doing things you thought nobody would think of doing, and ask a lot of questions like "How come I can't do things this way?".

Has potential, but not too hopeful.
Jan 15, 2020 1:18 AM

Apr 2012
amlg said:
RobertBobert said:

It's the same with every other VR/Isekai anime with game concepts... people will discuss like it should be a proper game setting... even tho it isn't really... (cause literally every VR/ Isekai always disregards "caps/ balancing" so the MCs will always be OP)

It reminds me of a discussion of "female super friendship" titles, where people take seriously theories that someone is a lesbian, because moe melodrama is different from the behavior of real girls. But if it makes any sense there, I don’t understand why people expect good realism and a high representation of MMO from such anime.
Jan 15, 2020 11:22 AM

May 2018
Seemed dull to me, but opening and ending songs were rather pleasant and seemed to feature a lot of cute girls. I'll give it a try for at least a few more episodes.
I know this title is meant to be cute and stupid first of all, but skills in this game still work kinda... unusual. And New World Online, oh come on. Also the other players are unusually nice to random people, but I guess it would ruin the cutesy atmosphere if they were rude.
That scene where MC bites the dragon to death... I honestly don't know, it was between "very cringy" and "kinda funny" for me. Her cute face when she does the big bite though :3
Jan 17, 2020 9:25 PM

Mar 2017
This is basically what happens if you make the casts of GochiUsa to play VRMMORPG, which is exactly why I love it. CGDCT and on top of that a game-related anime? GIMME GIMME.
BlueIsLoveJan 17, 2020 9:31 PM
Jan 17, 2020 10:12 PM

Feb 2019
Kinda like the game's UI, looks clean and simple.
Jan 19, 2020 11:59 AM
Feb 2017
No logic at all....how did she defeat a hard boss without adding any single point to her attack or without a weapon....normaly...her bite it self will not couse any demage where her attack is realy realy weak
And
Its not normal for a hard boss to just have 1 patern attack
Normaly,it will also have a physical attack
Jan 19, 2020 12:12 PM

Apr 2015
I found it really funny, Kaede is sooo cute ~ the arts really pretty too ❤
Jan 19, 2020 6:35 PM
Jan 2020
PROUDxOTAKU said:
No logic at all....how did she defeat a hard boss without adding any single point to her attack or without a weapon....normaly...her bite it self will not couse any demage where her attack is realy realy weak
And
Its not normal for a hard boss to just have 1 patern attack
Normaly,it will also have a physical attack

It's not biting it that hurts it it's eating what she bit off that hurts it, eating counts as health drain. It took her six hours to kill it like this

It does have a Physical attack but unlike the posion it was never capable of hurting her
Jan 22, 2020 3:38 PM
Feb 2018
This is a great isekai at least one episode in. Remind me of sao, in another world with a smartphone and maybe death march to a parallel world
Jan 23, 2020 1:04 AM

Dec 2018
The lesbian warrior princess defeated the evil dragon by eating it!! Awesome start and some Yuri vibes between Maple and Sally!! Friends!! Yeah right i say girlfriends or lesbian lovers!!!!,,YEEES!!

But anime there are ugly males in this!! WTF!!!!! That pisses me off! I dont like males around MY females!! For that you start of low, You have 3/10
Jan 23, 2020 6:22 AM

Mar 2010
Found this a bit boring. Guess this is too moe for me lol
This game seems easy or she has amazing luck
Jan 24, 2020 9:20 PM

Dec 2010
The good old "So stupid even the devs didn't see it and it is game-breakingly OP" stereotype.

Reminds me of SC2 where one user abused Terran Ravens to the point the entire unit was overhauled just to change up the meta.
Jan 29, 2020 8:52 PM
Jan 2017
That ridiculous form of to gain this armature.
Jan 30, 2020 7:28 PM
Jul 2018
Maple is really cute :)
Feb 4, 2020 2:35 AM
Sep 2019
Is that Sasuke VA for Kuromu? so weird.. he sounds so nice.
Feb 4, 2020 3:46 PM
Mar 2018
Now I remembered what the MC ingame name reminded me of. It sounded just like Miles from Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!

Also for being a overpowered child in a "fantasy" game world. Did they mention her being flat in the anime yet?
Feb 10, 2020 8:52 PM

Jan 2013
What a great start!
This was pretty fun to watch. Can't wait to see more of her upgrades xD Since she is already like this...haha
I'm happy that they showed a lot of lvling up in this episode.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Feb 12, 2020 1:46 PM

May 2019
This is such a fun twist to the OP main character Isekai trope, hopefully it doesn't get old really quick.
Feb 22, 2020 2:32 AM

Mar 2017
This game is broken AF. Makes it a bit hard to watch, really wished she got OP defense more believably, as the ease of it makes it way too easy for someone else to do it.

Still, besides how Bethesda level broken this is, it is rather funny
Feb 26, 2020 9:42 PM
Dec 2015
neonie said:
Resistance shouldn't be a skill, and you definitely shouldn't be able to raise it to immunity level.

Actually, it was Poison immunity before she defeated the Hydra, after that, her poison resistance advanced to Hydra, which surpasses that of Immunity.

On another note, I found this show pretty interesting, funny, and easy to watch. It really gives someone something to do. I wonder if anyone notices that Maple has no panties on, which seems to be the case considering you see no panties parts going across her thighs. I didn't even notice that until I saw a picture and had to double-check via the anime, and it actually is true.

Although I don't really care too much about that, the armor was great and cool looking. Maple was funny at times and interesting at others. So far I have been enjoying this anime, and besides, you don't find many VRMMO game anime out there that has an adorable female protagonist. Most of them are males and I'm a bit tired of the male hero genders.
Mar 1, 2020 1:21 AM

Jun 2019
This girl has absolutely no idea what to do lol. The main protagonist looks so much fun in her first game. I liked her expression of the game^^
lettuce<3
Mar 18, 2020 3:38 AM

Sep 2014
"I dont want to get hurt" also "I will stand here and tank poison damage".

Really doubt you get skills that fast, especially immunity. I have crafted Iron Daggers in Skyrim longer than this episode!

Pretty dumb way to make someone OP. Well, she is cute. There is that. And its not isekai or stuck in a game setting which is nice.

Looks pretty generic to me atm, but the only show I actually care about this season got corona so I might as well watch this.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 28, 2020 9:14 AM

Feb 2019
lmao this is peak comedy, Maple is cute as hell

I wonder what will happen if Maple meets a full Atk player lol
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Apr 12, 2020 11:43 AM

May 2016
sorry that was terrible and I see why people don't like it.

She is low level and got IMMUNITY(which never ever happens in any mmo) to poison? Yeah ok. What a fucking joke.

And the one of a kind armor. Dropped. 1 star.
Apr 13, 2020 2:04 PM
Jun 2014
Ehh. It's ok in concept, but i didn't like how they handled the game elements. Do that dungeon twice and you're set for life for poison resistance. What kind of mmo is this?
May 22, 2020 5:01 PM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Well Maple is just adorable. When she first bit the dragon, so cute!

I think this will be a fun little show!
Jun 2, 2020 2:36 PM

May 2013
Oh man. As a gamer girl, I'm just cringing at the noob LMAO. Entertaining enough, but I'm forever a DPS type of player. AoE skills are a plus <3 I can't imagine just defending-- too boring xD
Jun 21, 2020 12:16 AM

May 2020
This anime is so kawaiiiii! i can't get over with Maple cuteness. Soloing as a shield class is difficult tbh. Learning the ropes as a typical newbie in a RPG game is nostalgic though, items and skills/passive skills in the game are kinda op also. Guess i'll sit back and enjoy the rest of this show!.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2020

95 by Gvendoline »»
Mar 1, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2020

168 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 18, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2020

123 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 17, 7:19 PM

» Unacceptable Developer Response to Maple (spoilers through Ep. 3) - I'm cancelling my MMO subscription

Oiisu - Jan 14, 2023

12 by Foreall908 »»
Jan 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2020

139 by yourboy_asta »»
Dec 30, 2023 11:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.