Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 1 Discussion

Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2020 9:05 PM

Oct 2017
I liked this a lot. Turns out generic OP hero isekai shows are my thing when the MC is a cute girl instead of another self-insert dude.

I'd like to think there's more to it than that though lol... I don't know. Watched plenty of isekais before but never found it so compelling to see a character get levels / skills / gear etc.

... I think it might literally be just that she's cute. And that's fine. I guess. We'll see if this show can go through a whole season without offering more. Or maybe it will but this seems like the sort of show needn't put on a poker face. We all know what cards it's holding.

Oh. The background art. Just me or was it really good? A lot better than your standard seasonal isekai. Even though another poster referred to this as low budget SAO, I thought the background art was fairly high tier.

Sylverthas said:
I kinda like the honesty of the show. It's made immediately clear: it's cute RPG stuff with a girl that is going to become an OP tank (and apparently already has some abilities that others have never seen, even some of the best players).

That said, probably not going to finish this show, as it wasn't funny enough for me (although her eating the hydra was hilarious!). But it looks like a pretty decent show if you're into this stuff.

Sorry, I can see you're new here so maybe no one has told you. But when you don't like something you're supposed to leave a snarky comment about it being trash and imply that people who like it have shit taste. Humility isn't going to annoy people and ruin the mood in the threads which should be your primary intent when posting about shows outside of your tastes.

I'm kidding of course, thankyou for not being like those people.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jan 8, 2020 9:21 PM

Apr 2009
Sylverthas said:
I kinda like the honesty of the show. It's made immediately clear: it's cute RPG stuff with a girl that is going to become an OP tank (and apparently already has some abilities that others have never seen, even some of the best players).

That said, probably not going to finish this show, as it wasn't funny enough for me (although her eating the hydra was hilarious!). But it looks like a pretty decent show if you're into this stuff.

I totally agree with the honesty part. It seems to me like the show isn't trying to be anything pretentious or overly cool, and instead will just be straight forward with the viewers. I actually like that very much.

Personally for me, the comedy of the show feels just okay, and just good enough for me to keep watching. I also like the MC very much, as she's not trying to be overly cool or too serious, while being quite cute. I hope this show remains as entertaining as it is, all the way to the end.
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
Jan 8, 2020 10:04 PM

Aug 2018
I love anime this one just from one episode
Jan 8, 2020 10:21 PM

Oct 2012
Cute and funny. I'm rooting for Maple!
Jan 8, 2020 10:29 PM

Oct 2018
Finally, been waiting for this since it and been announced!

Wholesome first episode, it can already tell I will enjoy this anime :D

Imagine beating a boss dragon by eating it o.O

And BTW, obviously it's nothing like an actual MMORPG, like reaching LVL 8 by killing 2 enemies, Vitality not increasing HP at all etc. But guys, this is not the anime where you should look for great logic and everything to make sense. Just enjoy ..
-Aincrad-Jan 8, 2020 10:36 PM
Jan 8, 2020 10:53 PM

Mar 2019
Pretty entertaining... very nice first episode.

Also this was funny cause Maple, remembered me Shiina Aki from Sunohara-sou no Kanrinin-san plus a bit of Llenn's humor from SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Aki's sister.... :o
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jan 8, 2020 10:55 PM

Oct 2008
i had so much fun in this first episode! A strong 1st episode starter for me since it gets very old on shows like VRMMORPG genre but this is different i tell you!
LOLZ who else suddenly thought when she pressed Logout then it won't work! hahahaha i see what you did there another hype show that just ended and waiting for next season lolz anyway...
Oh "a great shielder newbie" !? i bet she's greater than Mash! or Naofumi!
Oh! so many slime just like Rimuru lolz!
oh now she's eating the Poison Dragon...when did it became ARIFURETA!? LOLZ!
This show is really self-indulgence from the author's perspective.

5/5!!!

another hater down below me... ~>V
matias067Jan 8, 2020 11:11 PM

Jan 8, 2020 11:04 PM

Jan 2013
Game system is broken AF here. i facepalmed every 20 seconds for whole episode. 2/10
SAO was definitely better. Any VRMO was better.

Why nobody here talking about how tank 1-hit any small enemy?
ExcelDogJan 8, 2020 11:07 PM
Jan 8, 2020 11:23 PM

Feb 2019
Bofuri is wholesome as heck. Found my “If it’s for my daughter, Abilities Average, Senko-San”, etc of the season. This is some of the cutest stuff ever. Animation’s nice, art’s bright and well done and the character interactions are great. Looking forward to more.
Jan 9, 2020 1:13 AM

Oct 2018
ExcelDog said:
Game system is broken AF here. i facepalmed every 20 seconds for whole episode. 2/10
SAO was definitely better. Any VRMO was better.

Why nobody here talking about how tank 1-hit any small enemy?

Literally every single person has noticed all the flaws/weird things about the game, but they don't complain because they can enjoy what they watch.
Jan 9, 2020 2:13 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Another Isekai but with a little girl as the protagonist instead of the typical game savvy self insert mc. Not sure this little twist will be enough to maintain my interest in the long run. But the young female protagonist plays very well with some demographics I suppose.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 9, 2020 2:23 AM

Jul 2017
OH WELL...Tate no Yuusha, moe version. Easy to see the Isekai influences (though this show luckily AIN'T ONE), pretty close to SAO's mechanics if you'd ask me from a first impressions' POV.

Silver Link has been absent for almost the entirety of last year, so to "restart" a new year and decade, getting back on the right foot is good, and Bofuri excels in that.

Kaede a.k.a Maple as a character is nice, and her MAX defense though is a staple at this point (because of the many imitation shows of recent years with broken MMORPG mechanics), it's fun to see such material get a different spin on it that engages from the get-go. Being honest about the clichés and troupes, and not planting facades on it is sure to be a great time.

AND OF COURSE, since only defense/vitality is the ONLY filled constant, the bet to go defense is 100%.

Full-on defense being OP for legit reasons? +1
Made in-game character friends? +1
Conquered dungeons? +1, and to defeat a boss such as a hydra, please eat me up~~~

Pretty good 1st episode! Gonna be so heavily invested in this.
KANLen09Jan 9, 2020 2:31 AM
Jan 9, 2020 2:34 AM

Jan 2011
>puts all basic points into one stat
You're now INVINCIBLE!
>get's hit with poison twice
You now have POISON RESISTANCE!

What the hell is this? How would anyone have fun playing games if they were this easy?
Jan 9, 2020 2:37 AM

Jun 2013
I didn't even know anything about this Anime. I was browsing Live chart and saw it and decided to watch it. No regrets. Maple is adorable and I love her new outfit. She is just adorable. I don't watch much isekai series but I think this is my first time watching an isekai with a moe female character. Last isekai I watched with a female lead was Vision of Escaflowne and Fushigi Yuugi and that was waaay back.

I'll keep watching it since it's adorable. It'll be my feel good series for the season. I think Risa is teaching Kaede how to play mmorpgs which is why she's pretty strong for a beginner. Tbh, I don't know much about mmorpgs since I don't play them, I usually just play rpgs for single players.
BibimbapskiJan 9, 2020 2:40 AM
臭い-
Jan 9, 2020 3:44 AM

Jun 2012
KaeUBW said:
That was a great episode. I really want to watch the episode 2 right now,

Let's hope they can keep the quality throughout the series. The first 3 episodes of "Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!" were awesome, but the rest wasn't as good even though the anime was still fun.

I'm only disappointed with Kuromu. He was not supposed to use a shield, but swords. He was born use and make swords...a world full of them.

kamil88 said:
I must be only one who disliked it, main girl is supposed to be cute, but, she is more bratty and bully to me, and way she became overpowered was so stupid. Drop from me.

BULLY??? W T F

The way she was mocking all those monsters, especially bunny was downright bullying for me, i know it was supposed to be funny, but for me, it wasn;t :)
Jan 9, 2020 4:11 AM
Jan 2019
this anime is nuts!
I love how the main character's doing and how she deals with situations
well I have grate expectation to this and might relieve stress this season
it's better than Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

I wish that game exist
Jan 9, 2020 4:29 AM

Jan 2020
It was a mistake watching this... to much uWu... basically going all out in vitality from the start is like a cheat code aslong as u dont get 1ko and just regain resistance from atks u be fine lol

Made by k3ti
Jan 9, 2020 4:31 AM
Mar 2018
The first episode was soo utterly ridiculous but that's why it was fun to watch. I can't believe she ate the poison dragon, what a thing!!!
Anyway, I am really looking forward to this.
Jan 9, 2020 4:54 AM

May 2018
So she's basically that Metapod trainer except she can actually fight back.

It's really hilarious lol love this first ep
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jan 9, 2020 5:18 AM

Jan 2013
easily takes #1 spot for anime of the neo decade. the mmorpg she is playing lowkey represents what an ff14/bdo hybrid should have been. but alas our greedy asian overlords at square enix and pearl abyss only care about da money, not the players. makes you think. really cool and epic. dem p2whale gangstas cannot pay their subs when the cute lil girl starts walkin. find out why in the next episode of
Jan 9, 2020 5:37 AM

May 2018
She gor her OP defense level from beating some monsters, that's already make me sure this will gonna be good. But, I have a question. Is beating monster with shield count as Attack or Vitality ?
Jan 9, 2020 5:41 AM

Jan 2014
Honestly loved it. It's cute and and fun. I liked how despite not being a gamer, she was able to work the game's system to her benefit. Smart on her part. Was quite surprised when she decided to pretty much eat the dragon.

Kinda surprised too with some of the feedback being 'this isn't how these games work so it's stupid' kind of comments. When it's a comedy, and with how it's presented, shown in a light hearted tone for now. So I see no problems with it being 'broken.'

She doesn't seem massively OP either. If it wasn't for the potions, she wouldn't lost to the Poison dragon. So I'm sure she'll face harder challenges down the line.
Jan 9, 2020 6:45 AM

Nov 2016
Loved this first ep, it was funny & cute. Also didn't expect her to eat that dragon to death lol
Jan 9, 2020 8:16 AM

Jun 2019
It was so kawaii and really fun to watch, very excited for the next episodes.
Jan 9, 2020 8:23 AM

Mar 2014
It kinda reminds me of Tate no yuusha except it's cute and weird... I guess

Like eating a dragon to beat it ?? WTF is that, couldn't they be more creative than that BS
Jan 9, 2020 8:29 AM

Jul 2014
This shit was so damn hilarious from, adorable and funny from start to finish!
Also, been a while since I've heard Shirou/Sasuke's va from a seasonal show.
Seiyuu lineup looks good! Artstyle is moe fluff af! fuck the asteroid loving moe girls this season, this is the real CGDCT of the season!
I didnt read the summary so at first I thought this was gonna be an isekai, it being more on the virtual mmo style fits it more, its like SAO with a budget Mashu from fgo as the mc.
Will definitely watch this till the end!
I noticed how popular shield hero has become, people seem to keep comparing her to Naofumi instead of Mash from fgo who's actually more similar to her, short bub cut, similar armor and both female shield users that can attack with their shields.
-StrayJan 9, 2020 8:33 AM
Jan 9, 2020 9:19 AM

Aug 2013
Silverlink at their best. Great start.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 9, 2020 9:47 AM
Jul 2016
I had low expectations for this, but gotta say it made a complete 180 for me. This is turning out surprisingly charming in a comedic sense.
Jan 9, 2020 9:47 AM

Nov 2011
I liked this a lot. Very cute and very fun. When she ate the dragon I was crying lol.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 9, 2020 10:06 AM
Nov 2019
Only watched this on an off chance and it was surprisingly good. Was expecting rubbish and got CGDCT, VMMORPG lite and a bit of humor.

Art was good, hopefully it keeps this up past the 3 Ep. Drop-test.
Jan 9, 2020 10:11 AM

Jun 2012
I can't wait for her Gundam form and Nuclear form from novel show in this anime
Jan 9, 2020 10:16 AM

Sep 2015
I can't really get in to it because it doesn't feel like a game. It makes no sense. It doesn't feel like a game. Its just broken.
I mean its cute but I didn't find it all that funny. I guess its fine watching cute girl doing cute things but meh, nothing special atm.
Jan 9, 2020 10:51 AM

Apr 2018
YossaRedMage said:
I liked this a lot. Turns out generic OP hero isekai shows are my thing when the MC is a cute girl instead of another self-insert dude.

I'd like to think there's more to it than that though lol... I don't know. Watched plenty of isekais before but never found it so compelling to see a character get levels / skills / gear etc.

... I think it might literally be just that she's cute. And that's fine. I guess. We'll see if this show can go through a whole season without offering more. Or maybe it will but this seems like the sort of show needn't put on a poker face. We all know what cards it's holding.

Oh. The background art. Just me or was it really good? A lot better than your standard seasonal isekai. Even though another poster referred to this as low budget SAO, I thought the background art was fairly high tier.

Sylverthas said:

Sorry, I can see you're new here so maybe no one has told you. But when you don't like something you're supposed to leave a snarky comment about it being trash and imply that people who like it have shit taste. Humility isn't going to annoy people and ruin the mood in the threads which should be your primary intent when posting about shows outside of your tastes.

I'm kidding of course, thankyou for not being like those people.

A cute girl Isekai is better than a Idiot male harem one
RedChrome said:
It kinda reminds me of Tate no yuusha except it's cute and weird... I guess

Like eating a dragon to beat it ?? WTF is that, couldn't they be more creative than that BS

Did you ever see that before? No, so its creative

Jan 9, 2020 11:00 AM

Apr 2012
@Fl0ri4n I love people who are seriously involved in one over-used genre vs other over-used genre because of their genre's bias. This show is much deeper than the stereotypes about moe anime, but it still doesn't make the moe vs harem debate less ridiculously pointless.
Jan 9, 2020 11:39 AM

Jan 2016
I think this MMORPG is for people who don't like to grind.
Jan 9, 2020 11:46 AM

Mar 2015
The requirement for "Total Defense" skill was stand still for 1 hour while getting attacked, without attacking even once.
That's pretty much it. That's why nobody knew about it. Because no one in their right state of mind would do it. But Maple, being new to MMOs, found the futile attacks of the rabbit fun.

You can say the MC is "OP" or whatever, but that ceases to be the case if you just put some imagination in it.

I played a lot of true rogue-like games in the past, and doing something repetitively was actually the main way to increase your stats. Like getting repeatedly hit by something gives you resistance to it. Those of you who say the system is BS hasn't played enough games.

Anyway, first episode was great. I want more of this ASAP.
Very relatable for me, because whenever I play a game with stats, I always focus on one thing and forget everything else lol
Jan 9, 2020 11:57 AM

Apr 2018
RobertBobert said:
@Fl0ri4n I love people who are seriously involved in one over-used genre vs other over-used genre because of their genre's bias. This show is much deeper than the stereotypes about moe anime, but it still doesn't make the moe vs harem debate less ridiculously pointless.
I don't know what you're on about but ok

Jan 9, 2020 12:08 PM

Oct 2017
I really don’t know if I’ll finish this see how the next episode is

Jan 9, 2020 12:20 PM

Apr 2012
Fl0ri4n said:
RobertBobert said:

I'm about "A cute girl Isekai is better than a Idiot male harem one".
Jan 9, 2020 1:35 PM

Apr 2016
It’s an ok episode. It was a bit funny, especially for her stupidity xD
Jan 9, 2020 1:48 PM
Nov 2018
So far a total Mary Sue anime. Main character survives in a way no one else can understand, not even the top players. No matter what she does, even just SLEEPING while being attacked, she gets new skills.

Dragon attacks? You got a new skill! Poison immunity seems like it should be way, way up the list, but a new character managed to get it.

And all the more experienced players are in awe by her skills and amazing personality, and promise each other to look after her.

...However, it's a cute anime. So I'll watch the first three episodes to see how it goes.
Jan 9, 2020 2:02 PM

Apr 2018
RobertBobert said:
Fl0ri4n said:

I'm about "A cute girl Isekai is better than a Idiot male harem one".

Then please stop making stupid assumptions off of one single sentence that has nothing to do with what you said.

Jan 9, 2020 3:15 PM

Nov 2017
Damn,didn't think I'd like this,but,that was funny,and cute,and then she ATE the dragon to death.
If I ever manage to enter an online game,I want her as my shield mate :)
Jan 9, 2020 3:45 PM

May 2012
helmy said:
I'm so confused with every Status points she gets. How does the calculation work? Plus all the skills she got, it makes this game looks so easy. Idk, I'll give this series a chance

It's not easy, there are requirements to unlock every skill she gets, and the requirements are not that easy (except the poison resistance that just requires being hit by poison enough times) like the Total Defense skill (the very first she unlocked) *quote from the novel* "Receive attacks continuously for an hour, and not receive damage. And, not afflict damage using magic"...who would that? Specially in the beginning and without knowing it would unlock a skill. She did it because she was having fun being attacked by the rabbit.
Also this skill makes it harder to increase any other stat as you'll have to put 3 points to raise 1 of anything other than VIT.

She is unlocking skills that are hard to unlock because how she is playing the game. Like sleeping while being attacked.

The points are also correct. In the last screen you can see that she VIT 150 (66) which is her base stats + her equip bonus and this is multiplied by 4 (Total x2 and Giant Killing x2) so 216 x4 = 864.
KaeUBWJan 9, 2020 3:49 PM
I despise woke people.
Jan 9, 2020 3:56 PM

May 2009
Guys stop calling it an isekai. She is not transported and stuck in the different world, she can log out anytime.
But holy shit, this was terrible episode. I don't like or play MMORPGs but just how fucking broked is this game or her account. She gets skill right after any action. She kills bee monster with one stab despite having shittiest stats beside for defence. She gnaws huge boss and unlocks OP armor.
Fucking garbage like isekaishit, who would play such broken game? Author probably never played MMOs.

1/10
Jan 9, 2020 4:22 PM

Mar 2010
This anime:

Really is the a MMO's players greatest fantasy, stumbling Upon a Niche skill and somehow exploiting it to its greatest potential. Forget all that mumbo jumbo of following protocol!

Probably the best thing to happen for us gamers is this anime, as it enlightens us that anything could be possible if it weren't for our clouded thinking of following some shitty Programmed way of playing. Skip the story mode and fk playing with a group just go out there and see what happens.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 9, 2020 5:22 PM

May 2012
neonie said:
Resistance shouldn't be a skill, and you definitely shouldn't be able to raise it to immunity level.

Usually players are punished for bad decisions, but I guess she's never actually going to end up dying in this game or seeing any consequences to her actions to her actions at all.

She shouldn't have even been able to kill anything with a dagger and with zero strength, honestly she should have barely been able to carry the shield she had with her. She should have been dragging it on the ground because it was too heavy.

And where did the 9 +STR she had at one point even come from?

Resistance often is a skill.

You're talking like she is on end game fighting bosses or entering the hardest dungeon of the game. She just started playing...what kind of game punishes players that just started playing?

What bad decisions she made? Going full VIT is said to be bad end game, but again she is very early. How can you say she made bad decisions after watching the episode? Didn't you see everything she got? It pure look, but it worked either way.

You're thinking too hard.

bastek66 said:
Guys stop calling it an isekai. She is not transported and stuck in the different world, she can log out anytime.
But holy shit, this was terrible episode. I don't like or play MMORPGs but just how fucking broked is this game or her account. She gets skill right after any action. She kills bee monster with one stab despite having shittiest stats beside for defence. She gnaws huge boss and unlocks OP armor.
Fucking garbage like isekaishit, who would play such broken game? Author probably never played MMOs.

1/10

It's not like that that all. There are requirements to unlock the skills, but the japanese text on the screen was not translated. You need to use your brain to realize that. I made a thread explaining all that.
KaeUBWJan 9, 2020 5:28 PM
I despise woke people.
Jan 9, 2020 7:09 PM
Mar 2009
it's amusing but as a gamer it really hurts to watch at some scenes. one of those stories that only works because the writer is making everything go the MCs way.

we'll see how this goes.
Jan 9, 2020 7:17 PM
Jan 2015
Maple would be the Greatshield to my Greatsword AND Greatshield XD loving the anime already. :D
Jan 9, 2020 9:00 PM
Oct 2019
i don't know about you but i really don't like this show, the setting doesn't help the show anymore. the character is really lame and just acts like a narc, in one scene she's taunting a bunny to attack her and stands there for minutes making fun of the bunny, then she gets sad when they bunny dies because she can't bully it anymore, it's "comedy" is very underwhelming, i just don't like it at all. inb4 all the "YoU jUsT dOnT lIkE fEmAle PrOtAgS yOu SeXiSt PiG" or "LmAo ThIs KiD pRoBaBlY oNlY lIkEs AcTiOn AnImU aNd CaN't ApPrEcIaTe SlIcE oF lIfE oR oThEr GeMs BeCaUsE hE oNlY lIkEs PeW pEwS"
poo poo
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2020

95 by Gvendoline »»
Mar 1, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2020

168 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 18, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2020

123 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 17, 7:19 PM

» Unacceptable Developer Response to Maple (spoilers through Ep. 3) - I'm cancelling my MMO subscription

Oiisu - Jan 14, 2023

12 by Foreall908 »»
Jan 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2020

139 by yourboy_asta »»
Dec 30, 2023 11:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.