Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
In/Spectre
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 12, 2020 9:22 AM

Apr 2018
After many disappointments at the beginning of the season this seems to be one of the few interesting ones.

Both Kotoko and Kurou are compelling MCs, Kotoko's design and personality are flawless for a first ep. ans at first I though Kurou was a wimp but at the end my opinion changed for obvious reasons.

Also the Samurai Spirit is quite funny, I hope to see more of him in the future.

It definitively picked up my interest and I looking forward for more.
Jan 12, 2020 10:32 AM

Aug 2018
Great introductive episode, it looks intriguing due to the paranormal/supernatural stuff mixed into a realistic world.
Jan 12, 2020 1:42 PM

Feb 2014
This first episode didn't waste time in getting straight to the plot, but at the same time, it didn't feel rushed at all. I'm impressed. =)

Kotoko and Kurou have a nice dynamic between the two, even though Kurou doesn't know Kotoko that much apart from a previous encounter with her in the hospital two years prior. The fact that Kotoko has had a crush on Kurou since then was cute, though. =3

In terms of animation and visual quality, Brain's Base did a very good job. The Yokai monster in the library looked good in terms of animation and the same goes for how Kurou was able to regenerate his arm back.

Overall, this was a promising start. This is definitely a show that I'll most likely be enjoying from start to finish. =D
Jan 12, 2020 2:32 PM
Jul 2019
It was ok to say the most. I personally find Kotoko very annoying and unrealistic, Kurou has potential to be good but if he is not well developed will turn into a generic OP protagonist instead. The setting is OK, did not catch my interest but is not bad, I liked the way the monsters were presented and the small "plot twist" during the kappa story.
Jan 12, 2020 2:37 PM

Jul 2014
I love the characters already! the FMC is one assertive fun girl, she literally just told him they can do lewd shit later and the MC isnt a fcking wuss, dude is a badass!
Jan 12, 2020 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
funnier than i expected,i already like the main characters and the ed is amazing

this will probably be my anime of the season but it's still way too early lol
Jan 12, 2020 3:12 PM

Feb 2007
I honestly didn't expect too much from this, even if it seemed interesting enough to add to my watching plans, but so far this has been the most promising first episode of the season.
Jan 12, 2020 3:20 PM
Sep 2018
I thought this was a strong episode 1 for this show, I like the characters so far and this show seems promising. Looking forward to next week
Jan 12, 2020 3:44 PM
Apr 2019
I love the backsound so much! Maybe one of the best for this season. This episode really exceeded my expectations.
Jan 12, 2020 5:10 PM

Jul 2013
The strongest first episode of the season by far.
Jan 12, 2020 5:16 PM

Jul 2012
Man, that looks really fuckin promising. Being unfazed in the face of danger always looks cool. Understandable if you can just heal your whole fuckin arm in like 5 seconds I guess.
Awesome signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2020 5:59 PM

Nov 2011
Honestly I thought this was pretty good. That ending song was neat and I like the chemistry between our MC's so far.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 12, 2020 7:37 PM

Oct 2012
I thought it was okay but then that reveal at the end was cool and really makes you rethink Kurou's kappa story. Looking forward to what's in store...
Jan 12, 2020 8:23 PM

Aug 2018
The loli girl is so likeable
She's one of my fav girl this season
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Jan 12, 2020 9:20 PM
Mar 2017
Finally the wait is over, I looked forward to the premiere of this anime, Kotoko is too adorable and precious.

I loved Kotoko's personality, quite daring and very direct when she wants something, the truth is that I laughed a lot when she fell in love with Kuro and then she was disappointed to see that Kuro has a girlfriend named Saki and every moment the nurses told the gossip that Kuro and Saki's relationship was going towards marriage, I felt sad for poor Kotoko.

I would still like to know the reason why Kotoko lost her leg and eye, they gave an explanation that this is the appearance of the god of wisdom, but I still feel it must be for some reason.

What a surprise that Kuro was hiding, he seems to be a hybrid of human / youkai, according to his explanation he ate youkai meat and ended up like that, I hope they show what was the context that led him to make that decision that ended up making him a human who regenerates his lost members.
The encounter with the monster was not bad, Kotoko is not limited to fighting someone bigger than her and less when she is missing a leg and I loved it when she was carried like a princess by Kuro and without a doubt it was great the way in which Kuro's arm regenerates, before Kotoko's shocked face.

Anyway, it was a good first episode, I loved little Kotoko and the chemistry of her and Kuro is not bad, I hope it advances with the passing of the episodes, but I also want to know what was the real reason why Kuro ended his relationship with Saki, knowing that they were doing so well.
The ED was spectacular, I looked like ... Wow this is visually and audibly great, then I read that Kuro's VA, Mamoru Miyano was in charge (obviously the first thing that came to my mind was Zombieland Saga and Bungou Stray Dogs ), I have nothing bad to say, this ED has a good rhythm, is visually elegant and very charismatic, I love the dress that Kotoko wears, this ED is of good quality.
Jan 12, 2020 10:52 PM

Apr 2015
someone refresh my memory. where have I heard her VA before? and iirc there was also another anime where the girl also confesses to the guy and she's the same VA.

edit: now I remember. anime is Charlotte.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Jan 12, 2020 11:44 PM

Oct 2017
Another good anime this season, a great start tbh. I already really like Kotoko.
Jan 12, 2020 11:53 PM

May 2019
This seems really interesting. I think Kuro's character is definitely gonna grow on me, and the themes intertwine with both characters' personalities really well. A great start

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jan 13, 2020 12:07 AM
Jun 2019
MomoSinX said:
Hmm... it's like Parasyte meets some romcom series? lol

Anyway, pretty interesting so far. :D
I'm really anticipated to see how this turns out. Especially after it giving off parasyte vibes.
Jan 13, 2020 8:54 AM

Dec 2015
That escalated quickly. The way he put his hand forth in front of him I was so sure he was gonna shoot some power beam and blast the monster away until... his arm got eaten away. That's what I call pleasantly entertaining. So glad it's uncensored! And love their exchange as well. It's always a welcome to have peaceful heavy conversation admist all the pointless shouting anime series.

Apparently 11 is a good age to come in contact with yokais. Kurou was easy to convince that one could trip and fall to their death. And that comparison between a goat and love at first sight was very unexpected.

The only thing that bugs me is if kotoko's eye is prosthetic why does it give reactions and why does it move. Her prosthetic leg moves pretty well too. Is there some sort of secret behind it thats still to be unveiled or just a miss from the makers? Or is the surgical practice just that advanced in their universe?
xueyutanhuaJan 13, 2020 10:40 AM
Jan 13, 2020 9:24 AM

Jun 2013
That was actually good
Jan 13, 2020 10:49 AM

Dec 2016
HalfHalfBastard said:
For a first episode, it felt like the creator of this story decided there were no introductions needed, and we can just begin right up with whatever that was and not question anything.
The plot seems pretty empty. Nothing felt really interesting to me, the characters are pretty boring. A lot felt meaningless.
The final scene was the only thing that wasn't boring. I'll watch the next episode.

Agree like after all Kotoko exposition and by Kurou lack of reaction I was wondering if Youkai are normal part of everyday life and even Kotoko lack of reaction to Kurou lack of reaction was weird and lifeless.

Overall this episode was quite lifeless. Maybe they should do what Vinland Saga did and show first Kotoko past and then just timeskip to current events. People wondering what happened to her (how she lost her eye and leg) and her going to therapy could be interesting.
Nieznajomy43Jan 13, 2020 10:55 AM
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Jan 13, 2020 11:23 AM

Dec 2016
kuroyami-kun said:

The only thing that bugs me is if kotoko's eye is prosthetic why does it give reactions and why does it move. Her prosthetic leg moves pretty well too. Is there some sort of secret behind it thats still to be unveiled or just a miss from the makers? Or is the surgical practice just that advanced in their universe?

The way how she ran with extinguisher on stairs was "convenient", like did she really need a cane?
and I also agree that her fake eye should be visibly different from her real eye.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Jan 13, 2020 11:39 AM
Oct 2018
Wow. I was holding myself to watch this because of the first bad sub but I just finished watching it today and hell, what a 1st episode. I was expecting it to be good but not this good. It was a shocker of how good it went. Definitely one to watch this season.
Jan 13, 2020 3:46 PM

Jul 2017
Welp, what a way to introduce the characters by diving into a "love triangle", purposefully releasing valuable information (i.e. privacy) just like that.

Earning a relationship after the other's breakup, then fighting youkai like it never linked up together. That's at least for 17-year-old loli Iwanaga Kotoko towards 20-year-old Kuro Sakuragawa.

The true meat lies in the supernatural, and this is where this show truly shines in its bare storytelling (for now, Chapter 1 of the manga is about 80-90 pages long). For Kotoko to lose an eye and a leg as compared to being a Watcher for lowly youkai, it's a sacrifice towards a blessing in disguise.

Also, while it's pretty much a "Damsel in Distress" moment for Kotoko, it's a total shocker that Kuro is in the same realm as her, just only more magnified. Just who is he?

Impressive first episode. To cram as much content into an introductory episode seems exorbitant, and while the anime adaptation did change the pacing to make it feel fluid (as compared to the irregulars of the manga), it was a good adaptation nonetheless. Good to see Brain's Base back again with good visuals.
KANLen09Jan 13, 2020 3:52 PM
Jan 13, 2020 7:03 PM
Jan 2016
Interesting first episode!

The chemistry between Kurou and Kotoko was pretty funny, and the other nurse interactions with Kotoko was really funny aswell!

Seems Kurou's girlfriend broke up with him, maybe cause he saved her from that Kappa with teh same way he saved Kutoko at the end!

Pretty interesting end, so he ate two kinds of yonkai, and became that fearfull "monster" that is poison!

Curious to know more about it!
Jan 13, 2020 7:13 PM

Apr 2018
This looks promising. Still don't understand why Kuro broke up with his gf. Didn't expect him to have some sort of ability
Jan 13, 2020 9:11 PM
Apr 2012
Holy S*it, this was entertaining. It's been a while since I've enjoyed something this much.
Jan 13, 2020 11:37 PM

Apr 2019
I was sort of excited for this one, and thankfully it turned out better than what I was expecting.

I liked the choice of music for the op or ed, though I'm not sure which one of the two it was. The animation was surprisingly good. The two mains were interesting and had fun chemistry, Best girl for the season perhaps? Losing an eye and leg to yokai is not a normal thing to flex about, but then again this is an anime. The voice acting seems pretty standard, but the voices fit the characters well. There is also good sound design and the background music wasn't too extreme which is always good.

I am pretty excited to see where this is going.
huh
Jan 14, 2020 2:11 AM

Jan 2015
Ok, this was unexpectedly awesome...

I loved the dialogues, half of the episode they were just talking on the bench and it seemed like just one minute have passed, and then there was this plot twist about the Kappa story that really got me in the show, i mean, i thought this was going to be some slice of life story but it turned out to be something totally different from what i was expecting, but even with this brutal change i just loved everything, i'm so excited for the next episode

Be as free as you can be.
Jan 14, 2020 5:18 AM
Jan 2012
Is this Gosick 2.0? xD
Jan 14, 2020 6:29 AM

Sep 2019
Every time I hear Kurou's VA, I keep forgetting he's voiced some really good characters. Dazai from Stray Dogs, and of course, the legendary mad scientist Okabe Rintarou... but I feel like there's some others I forget about.

I don't know I can forget that now when watching this. Although, seeing more of a romance spring up right at the beginning is... a rather interesting process. Not to mention she went RIGHT FOR THE JUGULAR! "Dating with marriage in mind", like, daaaaamnm, girl. I think I'd fall right in love with that line (I've watched too many shoujo).

Honestly forgot that they just slid right into the supernatural. Ironically, I'd call it a natural transition.
I like my romance and supernatural, so I'll most likely keep on this.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Jan 14, 2020 8:45 AM

May 2009
kidlat020 said:
someone refresh my memory. where have I heard her VA before? and iirc there was also another anime where the girl also confesses to the guy and she's the same VA.

She wasn't in Charlotte. She voiced
Jan 14, 2020 9:10 AM
Sep 2019
i love many MC×LOLI ships and this is one of them
nice first episode
Jan 14, 2020 11:17 AM

Apr 2015
bastek66 said:
kidlat020 said:

She wasn't in Charlotte. She voiced

why does kotoko best girl sound so similar to Nao best girl? am I the crazy one?
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Jan 14, 2020 2:24 PM
Nov 2019
Unexpectedly good - watched it on the off chance it would be OK - was much better than I thought it would be and was entertaining and I want to see how their relationship progresses.

At least it's not bland/generic like several of the other new series this winter.
Jan 14, 2020 4:08 PM

Nov 2018
Didn't expect much and the beginning of ep1 was kinda eh but goddamn it was getting better and better every minute. They also gave us a lot of background about but just enough action as well. Great start for a show
Jan 14, 2020 5:57 PM

Jun 2015
Hmm... Interesting premise. MCs are calm and thoughtful, their character and dynamics are interesting right off the bat. The VAs are great. What a surprise indeed. This is when a blind watch gets rewarded. For now, let's see how to goes.
YosepRAJan 14, 2020 6:02 PM
Jan 14, 2020 9:21 PM
Mar 2015
No wonder the youkia were afraid of him
Jan 15, 2020 12:50 AM

Jul 2016
Nieznajomy43 said:
[
The way how she ran with extinguisher on stairs was "convenient", like did she really need a cane?

She doesn't need a cane but her parents forced her to carry it lol.
Jan 15, 2020 2:24 AM

May 2011
Art & Animation= OK : Nice art and nice flow..
Story = OK : Interesting to follow..
Character= OK : Both MC is likeable..
VA = OK : Suitable..

Liked this episode, especially the bench-kun part (early conversation part), touching her glass eye part (tuck.. tuck..), and the last part (that hug and that conversation.. nice..)..
The male MC reminds me of the MC from Parasyte (Kiseijuu)..
And, don't know why, but this ED reminds me of Beastar OP..
.. Added to my watch list in this season (didn't add it to MAL though..)...

matias067 said:
Intriguing!
Kurou: Who are you?
then later
Kotoko: Who are you?
so is that Serendipity or just mere Coincidence?
5/5.
i'm hooked.

I think, they're like to "borrowing" each other words.. You can count it as coincidence (lol)...
Jan 16, 2020 9:03 PM

Feb 2015
I actually liked it, the atmosphere is amazing with all those youkais, and the chemistry between the characters was unexpected, really good for the first episode. Kurou is an interesting guy, if I thought that Kotoko was interesting, there’s a secret for the fear that youkais feel with Kurou.
Jan 17, 2020 12:47 PM

Apr 2018
Aight, I'll stick around for this one.
Jan 18, 2020 7:21 AM

Jan 2011
Kind of interesting, not in my top 5 of the season, but good.
Jan 18, 2020 1:16 PM

Nov 2015
the dialogue in the first half was soothing to watch and the atmosphere is thrilling too. mc is a bit basic so far and i didn't like the fighting scene. i just hope for less action and more romance instead

3.5/5
Jan 18, 2020 9:44 PM

Jul 2012
This is quite interesting. I like it so far. Both male and female leads are not too cringy and have nice character designs.

Having Miyano Mamoru carry the entire show AND sing the ED is a blessing to my ears.
Jan 19, 2020 3:13 PM
Jan 2020
I think the character designs are pretty cute, and I like the overall idea of the anime. I didn't really find the fight scene that interesting, but it is the first episode after all. I didn't expect the whole fake eye thing 😂 that sure was surprising.
Jan 19, 2020 3:35 PM

Nov 2017
Is it just me,or does Kotoko seem like some sort of porcelain doll?
Don't get me wrong,I love her design and voice,and the way she has been portrayed so far,but she seems,hmmmmm,I dunno,fragile or something?-yet beautiful at the same time.
Loving it so far,and the ED is superb,and superbly done.
Jan 19, 2020 9:54 PM

Mar 2009
Is Brain's Base going to finally make a good anime again? Decent start.
Jan 21, 2020 12:59 PM

Jun 2016
Dropped the show, after less 13 min.

we are at the first episode. have already have the "call the action"without showing what that means in the context of the story and instead skips ahead to the worst annoying part, the love at first sight thing. And the writers used that stupid thing to forego any organic reason for them to get to get to know each other or any meaningful interaction other. Will you date me, cause I helped you not fall than one time two years ago, or something. man that's lazy writing.

Lina inverse is best girl prove me wrong
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

155 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 29, 2020

70 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

66 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2020

88 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2020

110 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 6, 5:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.