Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 1, 2020 8:31 PM

Mar 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This movie is so awesome! It was great to see my favorite Pokemon movie remastered. Ngl I was crying again like with the original.
Jan 2, 2020 3:00 AM
Oct 2019
this remake lacks all the good old feel of the original movie
I feel like nothing watching this 3d remake of one of he best pokemon movies of all time
Jan 2, 2020 6:51 AM

Mar 2019
Blah_Bhardwaj said:
this remake lacks all the good old feel of the original movie
I feel like nothing watching this 3d remake of one of he best pokemon movies of all time

Could you elaborate?
Jan 2, 2020 11:39 AM

Nov 2013
just no LOL

the start was ok, but as soon as Ash and the rest appeared... it looked so much worse...
i skipped through a few parts, it's literally the same movie with worse graphics (at least for the humans, the fights were a little better and some added scenes were nice) ...
but what's the point? was this really the only movie for 2019?

tbh i'm disappointed, i thought this would at least be a fusion of all the 3 movies that had mewtwo, or something like that, but whatever

@jrx78
i edited my post before you replied... tbh i think the fights looked a little better (i only watched the parts with charizard and the other 2...as well as a bit of the mew vs mewtwo), but the character designs were not that good,
some stuff they added was also nice
but still what's the point of this remake? were they out of ideas already?
winddevil1Jan 2, 2020 11:57 AM
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 2, 2020 11:52 AM

Mar 2019
winddevil1 said:
just no LOL

the start was ok, but as soon as Ash and the rest appeared... it looked so much worse...
i skipped through a few parts, it's literally the same movie with worse graphics and a few more sparkles, what's the point? was this the only movie for 2019?

tbh i'm disappointed, i thought this would at least be a fusion of all the 3 movies that had mewtwo, or something like that, but whatever

I guess it's subjective if u like the art style or not but the animation is well done though it's not choppy or anything. I think this movie is just as good because they were able to imitate the original movie's animation while putting their own spin on it. For example (spoiler for anyone who hasn't finished it) when Ash turned to stone and the Pokémon were crying I think the animators did a good job of conveying their sadness and it actually seemed more realistic this time. Anyway I respect your opinion though.
Jan 2, 2020 12:02 PM

Mar 2019
winddevil1 said:
just no LOL

i skipped through a few parts, it's literally the same movie with worse graphics (at least for the humans, the fights were a little better and some added scenes were nice) ...
but what's the point? was this really the only movie for 2019?

@jrx78
i edited my post before you replied... tbh i think the fights looked a little better (i only watched the parts with charizard and the other 2...as well as a bit of the mew vs mewtwo), but the character designs were not that good,
some stuff they added was also nice
but still what's the point of this remake? were they out of ideas already?

It must have been the 1st movie's anniversary. I mean the 1st movie was great so i was happy for a remake.
Jan 2, 2020 12:24 PM

Nov 2013
now that i watched the crying scene again, they didn't put any sounds for anyone other than pikachu, how is that more realistic?
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 2, 2020 12:26 PM

Mar 2019
winddevil1 said:
now that i watched the crying scene again, they didn't put any sounds for anyone other than pikachu, how is that more realistic?

They were staying true to the original I think when the other Pokémon made no noise but i was talking about the facial expressions
Jan 2, 2020 12:38 PM

Nov 2013
jrx78 said:
winddevil1 said:

They were staying true to the original I think when the other Pokémon made no noise but i was talking about the facial expressions
the original had sounds, and tbh the crying expressions were already good there lol
ofc the new one put more emphasis on it tho, with the big eyes and stuff
Jan 4, 2020 1:40 PM

May 2014
Despite the title of this film implying it would be an "evolution" of the original movie, as expected from the trailers it's just a downgrade of it. Many scenes had way less impact and looked visually worse than in the original. This movie just didn't need to exist. If they made an original movie using this CG it wouldn't be as much of an issue since there'd be nothing to compare it to.

The way the copied Pokemon exited their containers was boring. Mew playing on the windmill wasn't as cute. Ash struggling to break Pikachu free from the machine's clutches wasn't as intense. Mew and Mew Two look weird at low angles lol. I could go on, but you get the idea. I suppose a plus would be that they made that DNA strand looking thing that Mewtwo floats down from make more sense. They turned them into stairs, as apposed to a weird slide/ramp thing that served no purpose as they were in the original.

Still, i am a fan of the movies' plot regardless of the lackluster execution. And hey, the water looked amazing! 7/10
FancyjasperJan 4, 2020 1:50 PM
Jan 6, 2020 11:36 PM

Sep 2018
They initially looked like clay figurines, but you got used to it lol... Any new kid watching this for the first time would probably love it, just like we did for the first film, 20 or so years ago. It was alright.
Jan 7, 2020 12:50 PM

Sep 2011
Okay, this was good and still as moving as the first time I watched it. Nostalgia really is something amazing. I haven't had the opportunity to watch every single Pokémon movie yet, but this has to be among the best between them, even though it isn't perfect. It's truly a pity that Kasumi, Takeshi, and those other three, nameless trainers didn't have a bigger role to play since they were there, but I guess there was only so much they could fit in. I love how Kasumi managed to protect Togepi from it all though. And those pokémon fighting like that, Satoshi turning into stone, Pikachu desperately trying to help him, moving the other pokémon to tears. It was all so powerful. Mew is also adorably playful, and I feel for Mewtwo, being arbitrarily created into this world. But I guess it all worked out for him in the end as well, he found some kind of answer. And I'm not a fan of the character design for the people here, but the pokémon looked great, and I loved the ED song.
Jan 7, 2020 9:12 PM
May 2019
Pokemon movie always great even this just remake of 1st movie its still could make you cry
Jan 21, 2020 10:01 AM

Jul 2013
It is what it is. A remake of the first movie with 3D animation with some small additions like Brock going gaga over the girl trainer even though he never did that in the original movie and incorporating some modern moves like Energy Ball and Leaf Storm.

Now make it bland. The OST is literally nonexistent. There were a lot of scenes in the first movie that were improved a lot through the use of music. This time, it's way too silent to my liking. The animation itself isn't bad. I'm actually impressed tbh because the movements were actually fluid. The models themselves needed some time to get used to because they looked like clay dolls.
Feb 27, 2020 1:57 PM
Feb 2019
personally for me it didn't have the same impact as the original, as for the cgi models I will admit the pokemon looked amazing but the humans looked a little wonky. I cant believe they didn't have brother my brother as a OST
Feb 28, 2020 2:03 PM
Mar 2014
idk how you could make the human models so bad

the minor changes were unesseasry too. like why were team rocket not vikings any more
Feb 28, 2020 6:16 PM

Nov 2016
Despite being worse than the original, it was still good, the ending song is amazing.

And the scene eveyone was waiting for, still made me cry like a kid.
Feb 29, 2020 10:23 PM
flower boy

Jun 2013
totally baffled that the score for this is so low !! i guess people didn't like the animation? personally i wish we'd get more anime movies w decent cg animation.. sure it looked a little stiff sometimes but other than that i thought the animation was really nice ! designs were fine, and the textures were generally well done as well.
still held up for me in the feelings department (cried just as much as i usually do w/ the original).
you could also tell the english cast cares a lot for pokemon.. glad that some of the vas from the original were back :)
Mar 2, 2020 11:45 AM

Mar 2014
It's is just Pokémon 1 movie with CGI graphics. Nothing more, nothing less. It even has a good spanish dub with the same puns/idioms from the original series.

So I enjoyed it, my little brother who never saw the original enjoyed it too, so the movie accomplished its purpuse of entertain us and have a good time.
Mar 2, 2020 12:48 PM

May 2012
I really enjoyed the original first movie, to see it back in such a fitting cgi version was really enjoyable as well. They really found the perfect middle between anime, game and cgi if you ask me. Would love to see a game of this quality made with it or further movies to be honest!

Really enjoyed it and I guess for the release they cut that horrible part where Pikachu talks? Or was that something else, either way it sure was a nice movie to relive again!
Mar 3, 2020 3:48 PM

Feb 2014
Well, is just the first movie done in full cgi, the pokemon look good, humans not so much, overall it was ok I guess.
Mar 6, 2020 12:53 PM

Jan 2009
i love it, despite being a remake its still cool imo

one of the movie theme is basically original vs copies/clones lol so is this movie better than the original? i got no idea since its been decades since i saw the first movie of pokemon but i feel they both have their own charm

and the visuals are amazing imo especially the camera effects or rotations that 3DCG is very good at
Mar 7, 2020 3:43 PM

Jan 2019
The 3DCG makes me want to vomit. How can anyone compliment it? It looks like a video game cutscene all the time and the character's faces look so stupid. This CG looks on par with Berserk 2016 (okay that might be a little harsh). The original movie wasn't the best pokemon movie, but at least it looked great, but this is just BAD.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Mar 14, 2020 2:51 PM

Apr 2016
The movie is good. I liked it a lot, more than I expected. I know anime watchers generally don't like this kind of graphics but I like it, also it was well done. So, for me is more than ok.
Mar 22, 2020 8:24 PM

Aug 2010
So, my biggest problem with the film isn't the animation, it's that some of the new voice actors are still bad.

Ash's VA has greatly improved since Battle Frontier. But how are Misty and James still so terrible? It really hurts.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Mar 24, 2020 5:02 AM
Jul 2018
A few scenes looked graphically nice, at least the landscapes, Mew under water etc... but the faces of the humans all look terrible!
I liked the old style a lot and think it captured the overall tone better. The old movie was amazing for a kids' movie.
And I really hope we don't hop on Disney's, and everyone else's, nostalgia fetish. I love remake games, pls remake the 2nd Mystery Dungeon game too, but for Arceus sake, not the movies. Just write new stories, thanks. x.x
Apr 19, 2020 10:33 AM

Nov 2009
The script wasn't bad and I appreciated that they expanded upon Mewtwo's point of view but both the visuals and sound were awful. The faces not only looked odd but lacked expression and the CG lacked weight to its movement. Venasaur, a 100kg Pokemon being thrown to the ground looked like it had the impact of a rubber toy and instances like this distracted me throughout the entire movie. Better sound effects would've gone a long way. For example, footsteps having no sound, a huge steel door closing had no sound and there was a lack of music also. Not sure why they remade it to do a sub-par job, money I suppose. Besides these qualms it was fairly close to the original.
Apr 20, 2020 11:45 AM
May 2019
Well, I have yet to actually see the original movie, but I imagine it to be vastly superior. This one felt rather static and the CGI looked strange.
Apr 23, 2020 4:16 PM

Sep 2014
The physics was quite good for a CGI movie. If only it didn't look that shit OMG!!! What have they done?
May 21, 2020 1:00 AM

Oct 2015
I actually avoided this all this time because I thought "No it's disgusting" but honestly even though I still don't think it's very good, I found it enjoyable. Especially in how they fixed the english dub's major fuck ups.

And that little song by Team Rocket was very cute.
Jun 27, 2020 9:19 AM

Jun 2013
When I saw the netflix logo at the beginning, I knew it wouldn't be good. But at least we have the first version as an alternative. It is more a useless movie than a bad one.
Jul 29, 2020 10:16 AM
Tyrant

Aug 2018
Mew was so frickin' adorable in this reboot!
Jul 29, 2020 10:16 AM
Tyrant

Aug 2018
Mew was so frickin' adorable in this reboot!
Nov 23, 2020 2:13 PM

Dec 2007
funny thing about the "remake" movie, while the original movie is 1:25, the remake movie that took away some precious scenes from the original is 1:37, my solution for this is the fact that the "reviving" scene took from some reason to be shot from every angle possible.

really disappointed with the movie, especially because those precious scenes explaining big deal about the "reviving' part.
Jun 10, 2021 1:30 AM

Aug 2020
This is now my least favorite anime of all time :) Total dogshit.
Feb 20, 2022 3:38 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Severely underrated. It is so much better than the original. Plot is concise, pacing was perfect, they dropped all the unnecessary dialogue, and the drama. The Pokémon original vs clone battle drama was concise to no longer cringe, the Ash scene was actually FUCKING good this time. AND also so glad they dropped the whole professor backstory bit, that was not important to the grand scheme and made it boring. In exchange, we got so much more improvements. Charizard got more flare with Dragonite and the clone Charizard, Mewtwo got to battle an Onix, The stupid wooden boat was replaced by the funny Lapras Boat by Team Rocket XD The CGI was AWESOME TOO !!! Ash Brock Misty looked cool and the Pokémon fights were BADASS !!!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Jul 25, 2022 1:05 PM
Apr 2022
The problem I have with this is 1) they didn’t bring the original voice actors for Ash, Misty, Brock, Nurse Joy, and Team Rocket, and 2) They removed the English soundtrack from 1999. Plus they removed Brother my Brother that played in the original vs clone battle.
Feb 29, 5:38 PM

Feb 2020
I'm watching this movie after reaching the 100th episode of Pokémon Journeys

Satoshi in this film looks a lot like Baianinho from Casas Bahia 😂

Furthermore, the melody of this 1998 film is so beautiful

More topics from this board

» 1999 dub vs remake dub

funtime43_tr - Jul 25, 2022

5 by funtime43_tr »»
Jul 26, 2022 12:20 PM

» PV

ukloim - Feb 28, 2019

10 by removed-user »»
Dec 13, 2019 1:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.