Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Dec 30, 2019 2:10 AM
I just finished one punch man season 2 and while I was a little bit disappointed with the lack of saitama and genos, I was a major fan of garou and some of the cool s class heroes we get to see. I know that the animation defiantly got worse and as a result the show isn't the spectacle it once was but the writing makes up for it in my opinion. So I guess my question is, what is everyone's opinion on opm2? There was alot of backlash over the change in studios so I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that loved season 2.

Dec 30, 2019 2:16 AM

I don't hate it because the story was still decent but could have been better with the production. Totally inferior to S1.

Dec 30, 2019 2:50 AM

I don't even care about animation. It has many other flaws besides this. Boring heroes, boring monsters, boring fights, boring jokes - boring everything.
I mean, season 1 is not too great as well, but this season is much worse
Oh, wait. You've just created a new account only for this lame reason? You could come up with something more provoking than this
Modified by Nemo_Niemand, Dec 30, 2019 2:53 AM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Dec 30, 2019 8:33 AM
Forum Moderator
Ubiquitous

Moved from Anime Discussion
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong

Jan 6, 10:52 PM

It was a huge downgrade from season 1 and I didn't really feel like it did the manga justice...but it was still enjoyable for what it was. I watched it twice (once as it aired and once as a re-watch with my gf) and will probably re-watch it again once the fixed blu-ray version is fully out.

Jan 7, 4:33 PM
You’re not alone I liked it it could have better if the tv Version wasn’t a pain to watch though and people expected much but i recommend re-watching it but with the BD Version since the TV Version wasn’t even the final product and while the direction wasn’t great but still fine enough

Jan 7, 4:41 PM
todd2580 said:
You’re not alone I liked it it could have better if the tv Version wasn’t a pain to watch though and people expected much but i recommend re-watching it but with the BD Version since the TV Version wasn’t even the final product and while the direction wasn’t great but still fine enough

there you go again with your "its not bad but" or "its not great but" so that means its just average so not that amazing

@ConnorColton

if you just find the story as the saving grace then the manga offers that already

Modified by deg, Jan 7, 4:51 PM

Jan 8, 12:48 AM
deg said:
todd2580 said:

there you go again with your "its not bad but" or "its not great but" so that means its just average so not that amazing

@ConnorColton

if you just find the story as the saving grace then the manga offers that already

Nah I didn’t say it’s average it’s good.

Jan 17, 11:20 PM

I found it a bit dull and not a patch on the first series, but that's down to the story, not sure how close it stuck to the manga.

I think one punch man does have one big problem, Saitama, I'm always just waiting for him to turn up and punch (whoever) in the face and end the fight. The best parts of this series I felt were when Saitama is around. Isn't that the joke that he's not a fighter who struggles through but wins in the end, he never struggles, except to pay bills, and just wins easily every time.

I rated it 6 it was fine I could watch it, I wasn't that enthralled but I didn't drop it, sometimes the animation was a bit sloppy but meh it's not that important, also I watched the TV version not the fixed Blu-ray.

I would say certainly great animation should be celebrated, but poor animation doesn't kill a series.

Jan 20, 7:11 AM
I mean, I just finished the dub, and, like... it’s strange, ya know? It’s a “low-7” ranked show—but because the previous season was an absolute ‘work of art’, there’s no way any of us could forget that comparison.

I think of the relationship between ‘anime’ and ‘manga’ (and - kinda - novels (situational)) as an “opportunity for an improvement from the previous, “lesser-financed and smaller-scale” medium (as a result of both “the ‘potential’ of a/the medium” and, more significantly, ‘the cost-investment difference between a Manga to an Anime’) to the adapted medium”.
That’s to say: if it’s the case of something like ‘the manga for Berserk’, it’d take one heck of an investment AND inspiration (director and/or management team) to improve on something of that ‘inherent caliber’ (Berserk being a rare exception where the Manga - ignoring Berserk itself, being a far more financially-accomplishable and producible medium - is at a level of “art” that it’s arguably ‘more expensive’ to payroll the (Berserk) Manga artist than most ‘anime production teams’ - if you go by “the quality and value of the art/final product” rather than ‘the status quo of the industry)...

...—but in the case of OPM, we all saw in Season 1 ‘a production that improved on both ’what was lacking from OPM due to being a resourcefully-limited Web Novel/Manga medium [that anime - movement, colour, vocals, and special effects, etc - could bring to the table]’—and, though the “vision” of the writer/artist [named] One is spectacular, we saw the potential of incredible directing and animating from what was once ”Still-Images/Scribbles” to ‘Animation‘ that not only was filled-to-the-brim with artistic-integrity and talent, and superb project-management (whom are also commendable for the projects’ “artistic freedom”) that made something of these [what were originally genuine] ”scribbles”, but brought to life in a perfectly-orchestrated narrative that we all know as ‘OPM Season 1’.

With Season 2, ... we simply saw a ‘general adaptation’ that was... well... it wasn’t even as good as the “scene-to-scene” quality of the manga. It not only copied it “bit by bit”, but it even rushed those scene-by-scene adaptations/assessments of significant stuff like ’meaning’ and ‘importance’, and ruined stuff like the ‘interpretation of the manga’s “Still-Image representations of Psuedo-Time” (aka ‘Pacing of scenes and events’) by incompetenly misrepresenting them and their integrity’... This isn’t just a “far cry” from the ’timing, posturing, and correctly-interpreting the Source Material’ that Season 1 so passionately depicted—this is a question of ‘incorrectly interpreting and representing the Source Material entirely‘!...

It’s a bit sad since the production-quality isn’t all that bad for Season 2... I think the problem is two-fold:
A) The production team wasn’t nearly as ‘inspired’ as the Season 1 team (and sadly, from what I’ve heard, “not nearly as talented”)
B) Their project didn’t nearly have the kind of deadline that could have given them the leeway for a “proper effort” onwards this project/season.

I really do hope we get an OPM S3 with an inspired, talented, and properly-managed crew. (Well...at least we have a Mob Psycho 100??......... ;-;)
Modified by YayaBunWa, Jan 25, 1:11 AM

Jan 24, 12:32 PM
YayaBunWa said:
I mean, I just finished the dub, and, like... it’s strange, ya know? It’s a “low-7” ranked show—but because the previous season was an absolute ‘work of art’, there’s no way any of us could forget that comparison.

I think of the relationship between ‘anime’ and ‘manga’ (and - kinda - novels (situational)) as “an opportunity for an improvement - as a result of both ‘the potential of the medium’ and, frankly, the cost investment - from the previous, “lesser-articulated” medium”. That’s to say: if it’s the case of something like ‘the manga for Berserk’, it’d take one heck of an investment AND inspiration/directive to improve on something like that—but in the case of OPM, we all saw in Season 1 ‘a production that improved on both ‘what was lacking from OPM due to the medium (that anime - movement, colour, vocals, and special effects - could bring to the table)’; and, though the “vision” of the writer One is spectacular, we saw the potential of incredible directing and animating from Still-Images to Animation that simply breathed enormous “charisma” and, more than anything, a perfectly-orchestrated narrative, into ‘OPM Season 1’.

With Season 2, ... we simply saw a ‘general adaptation’ that was... well... it wasn’t even as good as the “scene-to-scene” quality of the manga. It not only copied it “bit by bit”, but it even rushed those scene-by-scene assessments of “meaning/importance” and ruined the ‘interpretation of the manga’s “Still-Image representations of Psuedo-Time” [as in: the artist uses techniques to depict the passage of time - like... movement, actions, dialect, and significant interactions including emotions - and carefully depicted in consideration of ‘timing’] by misrepresenting them’... This isn’t just a “far cry” from the “timing”, posturing, and correctly-interpreting the Source Material that Season 1 so ‘passionately depicted’—this is “a question” of ‘incorrectly interpreting’ the Source Material entirely!...

It’s a bit sad since the production-quality isn’t all that bad for Season 2... I think the problem is two-fold:
A) The production team wasn’t nearly as ‘inspired’ as the Season 1 team (and sadly, from what I’ve heard, “not nearly as talented”)
B) Their project didn’t nearly have the kind of deadline that could have given them the leeway for a “proper effort” onwards this project/season.

I really do hope we get an OPM S3 with an inspired, talented, and properly-managed crew. (Well...at least we have a Mob Psycho 100??......... ;-;)

i think the staff could have done better if they were given more time though.

Jan 24, 12:40 PM
todd2580 said:

this shit reasoning again they can all have the time in the world but without enough talented animators (except for 1 which is Aoki) they will fail

look at Megalobox it has awesome production schedule but they do not have talented animators and look how mediocre the animation especially the fight scenes of it

talent > time

Jan 24, 12:50 PM

I didn't hate it, but I'm just incredibly disappointed with it. It's a huge downgrade from season 1. Not just animation wise, but other aspects like sound design took a hit as well.

Garou was awesome though and single handedly carried the plot. I'm lowkey hoping for a season 3 with better staff working on the anime. That cliffhanger sucked ass.

Jan 24, 12:52 PM
deg said:
todd2580 said:

this shit reasoning again they can all have the time in the world but without enough talented animators (except for 1 which is Aoki) they will fail

look at Megalobox it has awesome production schedule but they do not have talented animators and look how mediocre the animation especially the fight scenes of it

talent > time

Aoki wasn't the only one who did a good job in OPM S2 there though was also Yuji Takagi , Yuki Suzuki and Studio LAN's webgun animators also Kameda did the last cut of this season.

Jan 24, 12:59 PM
todd2580 said:
deg said:

talent > time

Aoki wasn't the only one who did a good job in OPM S2 there though was also Yuji Takagi , Yuki Suzuki and Studio LAN's webgun animators also Kameda did the last cut of this season.

lol they are not as talented as Aoki heck Aoki is not as talented as any of the OPM Staff of season 1

OPM season 1 have a lot of talented animators but they got average production schedule so again my point is

talent > time

Jan 24, 1:09 PM

It was the biggest disappointing to me in all of 2019, hell maybe even the decade. Simply put i was really looking forward to have this part of the story animated, as i'm a big Garou fan and i consider this part of the story to be better than what we had on s1 but then after 5 years of waiting JC. Staff happened and it all went to hell.

Not all anime need good animations but OPM really does, considering the nature of the story and the quality of art of the manga. And it wasn't only animation where JC Staff blew it, the character designs were quite off, the coloring, the textures, the sound. The pacing, they wasted a lot of screen time on less interesting parts of the season to skip important scenes and butcher some of the fights. So i really hope JC. Staff forever keeps it's hands away from OPM.
Modified by Soulblight, Jan 24, 1:14 PM

Jan 24, 1:13 PM
deg said:
todd2580 said:

lol they are not as talented as Aoki heck Aoki is not as talented as any of the OPM Staff of season 1

OPM season 1 have a lot of talented animators but they got average production schedule so again my point is

talent > time

yeah i know that but yuji is near to Aoki's level or maybe even better actually but he's the kind of a guy that needs time to be able to deliver quality also you have to put in mind that even if the animator was talented the lack of time on working on a cut can lower what could be a great sequences sometimes like even imai while he's talented enough to work on the bad schedules of AOT but sometimes his cut could be affected by lack of time sometimes so it's not bad to say that time can be a factor.

Jan 24, 1:15 PM
todd2580 said:
deg said:

talent > time

yeah i know that but yuji is near to Aoki's level or maybe even better actually but he's the kind of a guy that needs time to be able to deliver quality also you have to put in mind that even if the animator was talented the lack of time on working on a cut can lower what could be a great sequences sometimes like even imai while he's talented enough to work on the bad schedules of AOT but sometimes his cut could be affected by lack of time sometimes so it's not bad to say that time can be a factor.

lol still does not change the fact that talent > time

you are wrong if you think time > talent

dont spread misinformation

Jan 24, 1:29 PM
deg said:
todd2580 said:

i'm not really spreading misinformation though and i'm fully not wrong because you act like that the animation as process needs time more than just talent sometimes even if they have talented animators they might not be able to deliver a decent production for other reasons and time can be one of them and there's no shame of that so the talent isn't the only thing that make great results
Modified by todd2580, Jan 24, 1:34 PM

Jan 24, 1:33 PM
todd2580 said:
deg said:

i'm not really spreading misinformation though and i'm fully not wrong because you act like that the animation as process needs time more than just talent sometimes even if you have talented animators they might not be able to deliver a decent production for other reasons and time can be one of them and there's no shame of that

NO you said they do not have enough TIME

implying time > talent

since you are saying if those animators of season 2 have more time then they can output animation as good as season 1 which is lol wrong

thats not how talent works

Jan 24, 1:43 PM
deg said:
todd2580 said:

i'm not really spreading misinformation though and i'm fully not wrong because you act like that the animation as process needs time more than just talent sometimes even if you have talented animators they might not be able to deliver a decent production for other reasons and time can be one of them and there's no shame of that

implying time > talent

since you are saying if those animators of season 2 have more time then they can output animation as good as season 1 which is lol wrong

lol while S2's staff wasn't having enough talented animators like S1 but i bet they could have done better like arranging and not rushing things up especially the fights and even if it wasn't gonna be like S1's one it was gonna be good enough in the end the quality not always stay like previous seasons and MHA is an example for that.

Jan 24, 1:48 PM
todd2580 said:
deg said:

implying time > talent

lol while S2's staff wasn't having enough talented animators like S1 but i bet they could have done better like arranging and not rushing things up especially the fights and even if it wasn't gonna be like S1's one it was gonna be good enough in the end the quality not always stay like previous seasons and MHA is an example for that.

not good enough as season 1 of OPM will still disappoint a lot of fans

damn you are so crazy with defending that time > talent every time i see you defend this season

Jan 24, 2:03 PM
deg said:
todd2580 said:

damn you are so crazy with defending that time > talent every time i see you defend this season

talent isn't only OPM S2's problem though as i said multiple it's the lack of time since they were barely have enough time to breathe i mean we could have gotten better results if they were having time like consistent art and better direction and the animation be consistent enough even if it won't be great as S1 but it'll be good enough instead of being serviceable that what i'm trying to say why it's not so hard for you understand that lol.

Jan 24, 2:19 PM
todd2580 said:
deg said:

talent isn't only OPM S2's problem though as i said multiple it's the lack of time since they were barely have enough time to breathe i mean we could have gotten better results if they were having time like consistent art and better direction and the animation be consistent enough even if it won't be great as S1 but it'll be good enough instead of being serviceable that what i'm trying to say why it's not so hard for you understand that lol.

because you are implying if they got enough time with the shitty talent they have then they can be as good enough as season 1 which is delusional so how can you not understand that? derp

My Hero Academia season 4 has slight bad production values and they got a lot of production time but their director is not as good as previous seasons and they are hated by a lot of fans so again

talent > time

Jan 24, 2:42 PM
deg said:
todd2580 said:

because you are implying if they got enough time with the shitty talent they have then they can be as good enough as season 1 which is delusional so how can you not understand that? derp

My Hero Academia season 4 has slight bad production values and they got a lot of production time but their director is not as good as previous seasons and they are hated by a lot of fans so again

talent > time

i never said it can be like S1 though because i never thought it'll be but at least we could have gotten better results

Jan 24, 2:45 PM
todd2580 said:
deg said:

talent > time

i never said it can be like S1 though because i never thought it'll be but at least we could have gotten better results

again not good enough as season 1 will still disappoint a lot of fans another example of this is My Hero Academia season 4

Jan 24, 2:48 PM

No, but i wasn't expecting much. I never understood the hype for adapting anything after boros. edge mcdevilman garou stuff was just never interesting to me. The monster association stuff was fine but it doesn't go anywhere by the end.

Jan 25, 1:24 AM
YayaBunWa said:

I think of the relationship between ‘anime’ and ‘manga’ (and - kinda - novels (situational)) as an “opportunity for an improvement from the previous, “lesser-financed and smaller-scale” medium (as a result of both “the ‘potential’ of a/the medium” and, more significantly, ‘the cost-investment difference between a Manga to an Anime’) to the adapted medium”.
That’s to say: if it’s the case of something like ‘the manga for Berserk’, it’d take one heck of an investment AND inspiration (director and/or management team) to improve on something of that ‘inherent caliber’ (Berserk being a rare exception where the Manga - ignoring Berserk itself, being a far more financially-accomplishable and producible medium - is at a level of “art” that it’s arguably ‘more expensive’ to payroll the (Berserk) Manga artist than most ‘anime production teams’ - if you go by “the quality and value of the art/final product” rather than ‘the status quo of the industry)...

...—but in the case of OPM, we all saw in Season 1 ‘a production that improved on both ’what was lacking from OPM due to being a resourcefully-limited Web Novel/Manga medium [that anime - movement, colour, vocals, and special effects, etc - could bring to the table]’—and, though the “vision” of the writer/artist [named] One is spectacular, we saw the potential of incredible directing and animating from what was once ”Still-Images/Scribbles” to ‘Animation‘ that not only was filled-to-the-brim with artistic-integrity and talent, and superb project-management (whom are also commendable for the projects’ “artistic freedom”) that made something of these [what were originally genuine] ”scribbles”, but brought to life in a perfectly-orchestrated narrative that we all know as ‘OPM Season 1’.

With Season 2, ... we simply saw a ‘general adaptation’ that was... well... it wasn’t even as good as the “scene-to-scene” quality of the manga. It not only copied it “bit by bit”, but it even rushed those scene-by-scene adaptations/assessments of significant stuff like ’meaning’ and ‘importance’, and ruined stuff like the ‘interpretation of the manga’s “Still-Image representations of Psuedo-Time” (aka ‘Pacing of scenes and events’) by incompetenly misrepresenting them and their integrity’... This isn’t just a “far cry” from the ’timing, posturing, and correctly-interpreting the Source Material’ that Season 1 so passionately depicted—this is a question of ‘incorrectly interpreting and representing the Source Material entirely‘!...

Was originally drunk when I wrote this. Reformatted, revised, and elaborated much further to articulate exactly what ‘Sins’ were accumulated with OPM S2.

And also: yes, the production team (studio) were “less talented than the crew responsible for season 1”—but ‘talent’ in these productions isn’t only found in ‘the animation squad’—equally as-important is the “talent” in the management of the project itself. That’s to say: “if your boss (and co) are absolute hacks who potentially can’t even recall the various departments that the animators have to actively engage with, then it doesn’t matter how good your animators are, they’re doomed to fail”.

Basically the same with any company - let’s not forget that these studios aren’t just comprised of merely a single team/department. OPM2 reeks of terrible mismanagement (not “poor animation talent”).

Feb 9, 2:49 AM
I don't hate on OPM S2 but I don't like it either, it was a huge downgrade from the masterpiece that S1 was in every aspect like animation, choreography, SFX and hell, even the directing. It was simply sub-par in every aspect and the thing that made OPM S2 unbearable to watch for me was that ghosting effect which they abused out of proportions on this season, this really killed the animation further.

Could they have done better with more time? probably, it would still be worse than S1 but at least it would have been better than this.

I don't recommend people to watch the TV version because let's be honest, that one looked like an incomplete product so avoid the TV version at all cost. The BD version is much better so wait for the BD to be released and watch that one instead.

Feb 22, 4:43 PM
ConnorColton said:
I just finished one punch man season 2 and while I was a little bit disappointed with the lack of saitama and genos, I was a major fan of garou and some of the cool s class heroes we get to see. I know that the animation defiantly got worse and as a result the show isn't the spectacle it once was but the writing makes up for it in my opinion. So I guess my question is, what is everyone's opinion on opm2? There was alot of backlash over the change in studios so I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that loved season 2.

Liked it a lot more then s1. I like the change in mc(i mean lets be honest, garou is mc in season 2, and is much better character then saitama).

Never really cared about animation. I go by enjoyment>characters>story>music>animation, this is how i rate anime.
But of course if anime has animation like nanatsu no taizai 3 its an instant <4

Feb 26, 6:19 AM
I didn't hate it, I personally thought that JC Staff did a pretty good job with One Punch Man. Sure it's not on the same level on the first season but the second season is good on it's own right.

Feb 26, 12:04 PM

Didnt hate it but in some way just doesnt feel the same as s1 had deliver

Feb 26, 12:28 PM

It's a huge downgrade from season one in almost every way, but I wouldn't call it outright bad. The writing is still so damn solid for the most part.
"When you meet your God, tell him to leave me alone."

Mar 13, 12:27 AM
ConnorColton said:

personally I don't hate it, but I don't say that I love it either. When you compare it with season 1 you'll notice that season 2 is more inferior, the hype from first season was extremely high and that cause massive disappointment. There's some anime that have worst situations than OPM, take seven deadly sins as examples.

Mar 13, 12:31 AM

It's not just the worse animation compared to S1, I feel like the novelty wore off.
MEA·MENTVLA·INCENS·EST

Mar 13, 1:00 AM

They overhyped Garou only for us to see him get destroyed by almost every S-ranked hero he ran into

Mar 13, 1:28 AM

I liked the second season, story was pretty decent, Garou became one of my favourite character in the series. Second season is inferior compared to the first only animation wise. Let's be real, animation in season one was god tier.

Mar 15, 10:59 AM
Dude OPM 2 had horrible animation. It was so bad that fans started a petition to bring back the director from season 3.

Read more details here

One Punch Man Season 3 Details