Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 29, 2019 10:36 AM
Dec 2019
Through 14 days, Volume 30 had sold 612,710 copes with Regular edition and sold additional 67,875 copies with special edition (First week, Special Edition dropped off chart during 2nd week so it was substantially lower)

With estimations ~700k copies sold in 2 weeks, might struggle to break 800k first month this time
Dec 30, 2019 12:32 AM

Apr 2019
Yeah AOT lost nearly 70% of it's readers since 2016, despite the manga getting better and better.
Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.
Dec 30, 2019 9:10 AM
Apr 2019
Doesn’t matter.
We keep appreciating this manga.
More and more people outside Japan are getting into this series.

The decline of sale in Japan shows that Japanese people (specially boys and men,because more than half of the AoT manga buyers in Japan are female) are losing interest in actual good works.They are now more into Isekai genre.
Dec 30, 2019 1:43 PM
Jan 2019
It's good that the series decided to take the direction it's currently in later. Had it started off with it's current more mature tone, it would have ended up like all those underappreciated series that are under the radar, or just straight up axed lol.
Dec 30, 2019 3:30 PM

Oct 2013
Kilimini said:
Yeah AOT lost nearly 70% of it's readers since 2016, despite the manga getting better and better.

Keep in mind that attack on titan has continued to top the digital charts, that is where some of the fans has migrated to as digital sales continue to increase as years go by, not saying persons hasn't drop it, but it certainly not that high.
Dec 30, 2019 4:28 PM

Mar 2018
Kilimini said:

That is entirely your opinion. I have stopped buying the manga after Erwin Was killed off, which was in Vol. 21 which was released in December 2016. I lost all interest in the manga from that point on and really disliked the story arcs that followed and which I only read online and not really legally. I am only following the discussion because I want to know how how it ends.
Dec 30, 2019 8:01 PM

Aug 2012
I think it can still pull 800k in its first month
Dec 31, 2019 5:51 AM

Apr 2019
huntress1013 said:
Kilimini said:

That is entirely your opinion. I have stopped buying the manga after Erwin Was killed off, which was in Vol. 21 which was released in December 2016. I lost all interest in the manga from that point on and really disliked the story arcs that followed and which I only read online and not really legally. I am only following the discussion because I want to know how how it ends.

Well i don't want to judge but looking at your profile picture it is obvious that you weren't followilg AoT for it's story. From a writing standpoint AoT became stellar since the basement and this is a fact
Dec 31, 2019 5:55 AM

Apr 2019
keragamming said:
Kilimini said:

Keep in mind that attack on titan has continued to top the digital charts, that is where some of the fans has migrated to as digital sales continue to increase as years go by, not saying persons hasn't drop it, but it certainly not that high.

But we don't have the numbers for digital sales, the manga market shrinked because of digital sales. But AoT sales are severly decreasing even compared to other Manga's, it only ranked 7th this year which is very poor for a title that used to give to One Piece a run for it's money.
Dec 31, 2019 6:20 AM

Oct 2013
Kilimini said:
keragamming said:

But we don't have the numbers for digital sales, the manga market shrinked because of digital sales. But AoT sales are severly decreasing even compared to other Manga's, it only ranked 7th this year which is very poor for a title that used to give to One Piece a run for it's money.

Keep in mind that snk is still the 2nd best selling manga when it comes to per volume sales. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-11-27/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume-2019/.153762

As you can see snk being a monthly manga it is basically handicapped because it only releases 3 volumes a year compare to weekly series that releases 4 to 5 volumes a year.

So if you look at it logically, snk is losing because of two reason, its backlog has dried up so most of the sales comes from the 3 volumes, while a lot of the series that are in front of snk just a got a anime adaptation so their backlog sales are rich right now.

Then as I mention before snk only releases 3 volumes which give it a disadvantage over weekly series.

Dec 31, 2019 7:13 AM

Mar 2018
Kilimini said:

Well i don't want to judge but looking at your profile picture it is obvious that you weren't followilg AoT for it's story. From a writing standpoint AoT became stellar since the basement and this is a fact

But there you are judging and assuming and being mostly wrong. I loved the storylines in the beginning. There were many heavy topics being discussed or played a major role. Corruption, religion, how the PTBs decided to send people outside to fight knowingly that the majority would not survive simply to reduce the number of refugees and not needing to give up their comfortable life. I loved the idea that this is all that was left of humanity and was fighting for their right to exist but then the storyline changed and much more mundane and quite frankly...common. Two nations fighting and not knowing how to co-exist, one trying to top the other and oh yeah right, the titans of course.

Slashing is really just part of the fun in general and in the case of SnK NOT the major point.
Dec 31, 2019 9:37 AM
Dec 2019

On a per volume basis, its now been overtaken by Kimetsu, whose volume 18 did more in its first week than AoT vol 29 did in a month. Not to mention an older series like Kingdom had seen boosts to its physical sales including per volume in 2019
Jan 1, 2020 9:14 AM
Apr 2017
Kilimini said:
huntress1013 said:

There some questionable writing.
Specially the way isayama treating his side characters. Other characters became mid besides eren.
Jan 1, 2020 9:16 AM
Apr 2017
huntress1013 said:
Kilimini said:

But there you are judging and assuming and being mostly wrong. I loved the storylines in the beginning. There were many heavy topics being discussed or played a major role. Corruption, religion, how the PTBs decided to send people outside to fight knowingly that the majority would not survive simply to reduce the number of refugees and not needing to give up their comfortable life. I loved the idea that this is all that was left of humanity and was fighting for their right to exist but then the storyline changed and much more mundane and quite frankly...common. Two nations fighting and not knowing how to co-exist, one trying to top the other and oh yeah right, the titans of course.

Slashing is really just part of the fun in general and in the case of SnK NOT the major point.

That's one of the big flaw of aot.
It's feel like that the story of aot become completely different after basement reveal and it's more nonsensical than ever. No matter how you see it, there no way ppl gonna be happy with the ending of aot.
Jan 1, 2020 9:29 AM

Oct 2013
DEVILKILLER1234 said:
huntress1013 said:

It's feel like that the story of aot become completely different after basement reveal and it's more nonsensical than ever. No matter how you see it, there no way ppl gonna be happy with the ending of aot.

Not everyone is going to be pleased that is for sure, some want a happy ending others want a sad ending, I think its going to get a bittersweet ending, that is the best ending for attack on titan imo. I'm not sure how the current plot doesn't make any sense, but I'm not even in the mood for a debate, so I will turn a blind eye there.
Jan 1, 2020 6:50 PM
Apr 2017
keragamming said:
DEVILKILLER1234 said:

Not everyone is going to be pleased that is for sure, some want a happy ending others want a sad ending, I think its going to get a bittersweet ending, that is the best ending for attack on titan imo. I'm not sure how the current plot doesn't make any sense, but I'm not even in the mood for a debate, so I will turn a blind eye there.

If eren destroy the world then what message author tryna make across?
If armin save the world now then people will be pissed about it too.
Aot ending could end up being incredibly meh.
Jan 1, 2020 7:15 PM

Oct 2013
DEVILKILLER1234 said:
keragamming said:

If eren destroy the world then what message author tryna make across?
If armin save the world now then people will be pissed about it too.
Aot ending could end up being incredibly meh.

My question for you is what type of ending would you want?
Jan 1, 2020 11:17 PM

Apr 2019
keragamming said:
Kilimini said:

Keep in mind that snk is still the 2nd best selling manga when it comes to per volume sales. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-11-27/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume-2019/.153762

As you can see snk being a monthly manga it is basically handicapped because it only releases 3 volumes a year compare to weekly series that releases 4 to 5 volumes a year.

So if you look at it logically, snk is losing because of two reason, its backlog has dried up so most of the sales comes from the 3 volumes, while a lot of the series that are in front of snk just a got a anime adaptation so their backlog sales are rich right now.

Then as I mention before snk only releases 3 volumes which give it a disadvantage over weekly series.

Unfortunately with Demon Slayer explosion, Snk is now the third Manga in volume sales, and if it continues falling it may become 4th behind Kingdom, Volume 1 of Snk sold more than 2.7M copies while volume 30 is struggling to get to 800k.

The 3 volume per year never prevented Snk of putting insane numbers when it was at the peak of it's popularity, as it sold 8M+ copies in 2015 compared to the weak 4M of 2019.

SnK lost the majority of it's readers but that's no big deal as it is mainly fujos and shonentards who dropped the manga. IMO the story changed for the better.
Jan 1, 2020 11:44 PM

Apr 2019
huntress1013 said:
Kilimini said:

And Here's where you are wrong, the basement reveal made Snk unique in it's own right. The basement reveal is only the perpetuation of all the themes that were brought during the uprising arc, but are also a deconstruction of the simplistic duality of the first arcs, mirroring the complexity of our world, and this what makes SnK so great right now, it's the most human story out there reflecting the havocs of hatred when it is coupled to weapons of mass destruction.

There is no bloodless way to find a solution to this conflict , no side is right or wrong, they are all victims of their cruel world, of the the sins of their ancestors, of the propaganda of their governments... The parralels to our world are just insanely vivid, scary but also beautiful in their own way. And i am sorry if this amazing development came at the cost of the Eruri ship, but Snk is now a story for the ages, it has ecompassed the frame of it's own medium and is now in the hall of fame of fiction alongside masterpieces such as 1984, Old Boy and many others.
Jan 2, 2020 5:39 AM

Oct 2013
Kilimini said:
keragamming said:

Unfortunately with Demon Slayer explosion, Snk is now the third Manga in volume sales, and if it continues falling it may become 4th behind Kingdom, Volume 1 of Snk sold more than 2.7M copies while volume 30 is struggling to get to 800k.

The 3 volume per year never prevented Snk of putting insane numbers when it was at the peak of it's popularity, as it sold 8M+ copies in 2015 compared to the weak 4M of 2019.

SnK lost the majority of it's readers but that's no big deal as it is mainly fujos and shonentards who dropped the manga. IMO the story changed for the better.

Yeah, pretty much predicted that demon slayer would surpass snk and probably sell 1.5m per volume or more since the boost is still in effect, Kingdom wont surpass snk as I'm sure by the end of November this volume will sell over 1m, people not so eager to buy the volumes in its first week doesn't mean they wont eventually buy it, especially since the manga is ending this year.

I was never denying that snk hasn't lost sales, but I'm getting the impression you think I'm using the 3 volume a year as a excuse just for this scenario, but I have been saying this for years now.

https://imgur.com/tH5IGFJ

Ok, let me give my perspective, monthly manga generally doesn't last long in the top 10 and the main reason for that it is at a disadvantage when it comes to weekly series that releases 4 to even 6 volumes a year sometitmes, Nanatsu no taizai releases 6 volumes a year for example. Only a few series reaches over a million and currently that is one piece, snk, hxh and now it seems demon slayer will reach that feet, I put these series is the S class category while the regular popular shows sells on average 600 to 700k. I think that is what ano exorsist sells and it was a big hit in Japan when it got a anime, but as soon as the boost dried up it drop out of the top 15 easily and the reason for that is those sales are just not enough for it to maintain a top 10 finish vs weekly shounen series that does equal to those numbers or less, simple because they releases more volume, so they get the advantage.

My point is that snk has always been handicapped from the day it was in a monthly magazine, snk was only able to say in the top 10 for long simple because its per volume sales were so high it had enough leverage to hold its own against weekly series. But now with its per volume sales not being so strong you are seeing the effect of a monthly series.

The one thing I wish was that youtubers and sites overall would also make persons be more aware of per volume sales, because that reflects on which series is the top dog and which series is only top because of anime boost, persons just look at the overall sales at face value without knowing the technicality behind those sales.

Despite these past years snk is the undisputed #2 manga in Japan for the last decade, since only one piece sold more than it in per volume sales. I'm ok with Kimetsu surpassing snk now as its a new decade with new fresh series to take its place, though I heard its close to ending as well, snk has sold over 100m copies world wide and it is the 2nd series in the 2000s to do that and now it is in the top 15 best selling manga of all time category, I'm fine with that. Its already created its legacy
keragammingJan 2, 2020 6:02 AM
Jan 2, 2020 5:58 AM

Mar 2018
keragamming said:
DEVILKILLER1234 said:

I would greet a sad ending or even a WTF ending as long as it finally ends. The story had so many twists and turns since the basement reveal and IMO none of them for the better
Jan 2, 2020 6:06 AM

Oct 2013
huntress1013 said:
keragamming said:

I would greet a sad ending or even a WTF ending as long as it finally ends. The story had so many twists and turns since the basement reveal and IMO none of them for the better

Well we have a couple of month to find out.
Jan 3, 2020 2:46 PM
Dec 2018
Kilimini said:

Still 2nd best sales/volume manga
Jan 9, 2020 6:49 PM

Aug 2012
Well it just made passed the 800k mark within its first month. After the sales that just came out for its 4th week sales. (Regular edition + limited edition)
Jan 9, 2020 7:15 PM
May 2016
As predicted. Luckily it's not had an affect on the series' quality, ever since the Basement reveal the series has only gotten better and better to the point where it hardly feels like what it started out as. Chapters 119 through to 123 were some of the best chapters of manga I've gotten to enjoy in so, so long.
Jan 9, 2020 9:37 PM

Jun 2012
I stopped reading the manga a few years ago because I wasnt a fan of the story shift but Ive read a few spoilers and its piqued my interest again. Ill probably try to read it again and Im sure more people will when the series ends.
Jan 18, 2020 9:34 AM

Jul 2012
Well, up to January 13th it has sold 739.427 units in total, by the end of the year it will still sell more than a million units just like all of the volumes as of late.

AoT still is the biggest competition for One Piece around (and yeah, Kimetsu no Yaiba boosting all of its almost 20 volumes with the anime boost surpassed One Piece's yearly sales of 4 volumes per year, who could have thought, still has less than AoT by a large margin, even because AoT reached those same numbers with less volumes in half-an-year when its anime also exploded), and it's not like physical manga sales are as relevant nowadays as they were before the 2010s anyway (same goes with the BD sales).

As people explained above, digital manga distribution is a huge thing, especially since 2015 and all of the alternatives introduced by then. It's not a surprise that any manga (especially a monthly published with only 3 volumes per year one) had lesser overall sales.

Compare any manga post-anime boost over the years and you will find nearly the same kinds of drops unless some things heat up the hype once more here and there (bonus included in volumes, tickets to events, etc..., same as BD sales).

Jan 18, 2020 2:06 PM

Oct 2013
Danpmss said:
Well, up to January 13th it has sold 739.427 units in total, by the end of the year it will still sell more than a million units just like all of the volumes as of late.

AoT still is the biggest competition for One Piece around (and yeah, Kimetsu no Yaiba boosting all of its almost 20 volumes with the anime boost surpassed One Piece's yearly sales of 4 volumes per year, who could have thought, still has less than AoT by a large margin, even because AoT reached those same numbers with less volumes in half-an-year when its anime also exploded), and it's not like physical manga sales are as relevant nowadays as they were before the 2010s anyway (same goes with the BD sales).

As people explained above, digital manga distribution is a huge thing, especially since 2015 and all of the alternatives introduced by then. It's not a surprise that any manga (especially a monthly published with only 3 volumes per year one) had lesser overall sales.

Compare any manga post-anime boost over the years and you will find nearly the same kinds of drops unless some things heat up the hype once more here and there (bonus included in volumes, tickets to events, etc..., same as BD sales).

Just a bit of correction it has sold over 800k that includes the limited edition as well.
Jan 22, 2020 8:46 PM

Apr 2019
Danpmss said:

Bruh Kimetsu is already over 1.5Million per copies and it is still growing, it could very well become the number 1 manga in volume sales in the next few weeks...

@keragamming

No need to write 3 paragraphs on the drawbacks of having 3 volumes per year instead of 4-5 as i am well aware of them. My point is that during Snk's peak, it was never a problem to secure a comfortable place in the top 3, which is not the case right now with the downfall of volume sales. it's simple as that :)
Jan 23, 2020 12:39 AM

Oct 2013
Kilimini said:
Danpmss said:

Bruh Kimetsu is already over 1.5Million per copies and it is still growing, it could very well become the number 1 manga in volume sales in the next few weeks...

@keragamming

No need to write 3 paragraphs on the drawbacks of having 3 volumes per year instead of 4-5 as i am well aware of them. My point is that during Snk's peak, it was never a problem to secure a comfortable place in the top 3, which is not the case right now with the downfall of volume sales. it's simple as that :)

That is still wrong though as snk back in 2013 to 2016 was still getting decent backlog sales, even at snk peak volume sales, it wouldn't get into the top 3 last year if backlog sales were excluded that is.

The overall figures doesn't tell the whole story here, that is the overall point I was making. Everyone knows snk sales has drop tremendously compare to what it was, but there is a lot of variable that you have to consider, which is why I said the overall figures doesn't tell the whole story.

What I do know is that last year snk remain second in per volume sales, despite coming 7th overall.

what I would like to see is oricon to include both overall sales and per volume sales on the same page as most people don't look at per volume sales, this way it forces users to think more deeply about the sales, when they see some series selling better in per volume sales compare to overall sales.
keragammingJan 23, 2020 1:01 AM
Jan 24, 2020 5:00 AM

Jul 2012
Kilimini said:
Danpmss said:

Also, about that line. 1,6 Million physical sales is quite the achievement, but that would only mean becoming number 1 in volume sales compared to other volumes through that specific year (Shingeki no Kyojin did that much with much more impressive number with much less volumes than what Kimetsu no Yaiba is currently boosting in its entirety, years ago, more or less in the same period of the year as Kimetsu no Yaiba)

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-06/attack-on-titan-manga-has-25-million-in-circulation
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-06/attack-on-titan-prints-28-million-as-latest-book-gets-2.2-million-printing

And yes, these numbers grew to more than double than that eventually, being first in top volume sales doesn't mean much either, especially nowadays (take a look in this articles above and you will see that 20million of those 25million were Oricon numbers for physical copies, and now, with the growth of digital sales, compare that with Kimetsu no Yaiba Oricon numbers and just how much those represent in the overall sales nowadays, as these articles were just a day apart from each other and use of the same data)

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-11-26/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-franchise-to-have-over-25-million-copies-in-circulation/.153709

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-11-27/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2019/.153758

And yeah, that's about it. digital sales may even represent more than the physical sales nowadays if anything, Kimetsu no Yaiba must be going towards up to 40 million units at this point instead of the current 29 million solely registered by Oricon, especially since it has an official digital colored print.

Oricon's numbers nowadays are not the the best way to judge a series complete performance, is what we are trying to tell, albeit it give us an idea on just how many physical volumes are being sold (Amazon also has its own separate numbers, and nowadays is immensily huge in Japan as well).

The sales got down sure, but digital sales got up too. Way more than one may think, over the last few years.

So yeah, Shingeki still is the titan is has been since 2013 despite the number gradually reducing, just like any long running publication safe for a few exceptions.

Still high up there in the list of best selling manga of all time overall with its recently achieved 100 million copies with 30 volumes on print.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 139 / Ending Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Apr 7, 2021

1874 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 141 Discussion

venti_e - Sep 30, 2022

32 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 20, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 13 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - May 15, 2011

21 by Steekira »»
Mar 27, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Oct 6, 2015

132 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 17, 4:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.